• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2016) is today's free Epic Game Store game - PLEASE GET IT !

CuNi

It's a better game that the original Prey could even just DREAM to be.
Both because it's that good and because the original was utterly mediocre to begin with, past its introductory hour.

Prey is also WAY better than Bioshock, incidentally.

I respect your taste but still have to sadly inform you that you are a misguided sheep and simply weren't able to fathom the true glory of the OG Prey. This game may share it's name but doesn't even reach the OG Preys little toe in game design, gameplay and story.

Roni

Gold Member
I respect your taste but still have to sadly inform you that you are a misguided sheep and simply weren't able to fathom the true glory of the OG Prey. This game may share it's name but doesn't even reach the OG Preys little toe in game design, gameplay and story.
Bro, I'm gonna want receipts for that because I believe few games could claim to have better design than a particular immersive sim, and those are other immersive sims.

These games do everything.

They design a true sandbox, and I don't mean the marketing meaning which just means 'open world'.

This game features structural coherence between levels, every NPC has a name in this game. They can be found in each individual location of their last activity before dying.

Talos I is an actual fucking place I visited, that's how fucking great this game is. And the themes and story? Wonderful.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Be sure to also play Mooncrash, which is not only the progenitor to Deathloop but also the vastly superior game.

CuNi

Bro, I'm gonna want receipts for that because I believe few games could claim to have better design than a particular immersive sim, and those are other immersive sims.

I mean story is subjective, I just liked the grotesque OG Prey story more than the one of the newer Prey.

Gameplay wise it had more crazy elements going for it if you compare the times in which those games were released. OG Prey had Portals, "Size-Manipulation", Gravity-Manipulation and, and that one is subjective again, better gunplay.
I also loved the idea of a "living" Space-Station and the aesthetics of it more. New Preys space station design wise looked like a normal space station that we've seen a dozen of times already.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, I'm just saying that IMHO the old prey was a far more interesting concept and idea than new prey. But I also wasn't a fan of the idea they had for prey 2 so yeah.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Fantastic game.
Once I realized you can go outside and just fly all around the station, my mind was blown.
The whole map makes sense, is connected and it's neat

Wildebeest

They wanted to have EVA in System Shock 2, but the technology wasn't there. Instead, you had vomit inducing crawls through an alien colon. Which I'm sure some people would say is superior in EVERY WAY to EVERYTHING in PREY. THE WORST GAME EVER.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No Way Meme GIF

OG Prey was a bad game and you should feel bad for recommending it.

Hugare

Prey is also WAY better than Bioshock, incidentally.
Not at all

Love the setting, gameplay, soundtrack, story and storytelling in Bioshock way more

Much more memorable overral

One is considered of the GOATS, while the other people make threads from time to time to remember others that the game exists

Sentenza

Not at all
They aren't even close.
I never liked Bioshock and I always found it an incredibly lousy and disappointing "System Shock spiritual successor" that tried too hard to compensate its shitty "consolized" mechanics and gameplay loops with production value and scripted smoke and mirrors.

When I finally played Prey 2016 years later (a game that I approached very jaded to begin with) I couldn't help but realize only few hours later "Yeah, THIS is the game Bioshock always WISHED it could be".
System design everywhere actually putting the player in charge of the experience (for a change), reactive environment and questlines that ADAPTED DYNAMICALLY to your actions, a storyline that wasn't built entirely on the writers smelling their own farts and thinking they smelled great, etc.
Still, this is just a "niche critic" point of views. We all know that Bioshock got a lot more popular, because no insipid mediocrity goes unrewarded in this industry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom