• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Hopefully it won't follow in their previous patches' footsteps. Add one thing, destroy two others.

The issue with the patches was that it messed up fps for fixing input lag. Here they need to find a better middle ground. Which I imagine is pretty hard especially, since it looks like a ps4 only problem. As you notice that there have been a considerable slow down in patch releases.

Also, the issues were there from 1.02. It only got highlighted in 1.04 when they added the pro support.

Whoyouare

Can you use spoiler tags? I need more details because i can't figure out where you are stuck right now.

So I just placed the turrets to get into the cargo bay b. I went through a few hall ways and maybe another loading screen. I walk up to a door and it says that I need to take care of the telekinesis alien which will unlock the door. So on the other side of the room you need to pry open the door and kill the alien. I have no health and the electricity one shots me. When i apply neuromods the nightmare appears and instatly kills me.

So I just placed the turrets to get into the cargo bay b. I went through a few hall ways and maybe another loading screen. I walk up to a door and it says that I need to take care of the telekinesis alien which will unlock the door. So on the other side of the room you need to pry open the door and kill the alien. I have no health and the electricity one shots me. When i apply neuromods the nightmare appears and instatly kills me.

Don't really remember where you are, but use the nullwave grenade on it. It can't use it's powers. Then just chase it with a shotgun or pistol.

Is there a PC demo yet?

No and there won't be, as far as we know. They could of course do the Dishonored route and make a sizable chunk of the game a demo. But I don't think dishonored had a demo before. Basically, if you want to try out a demo you need a console. That said, the demo has not been patched liked the main game.

Whoyouare

I hate to admit this, but I deleted this damn game from the hard drive. I am so annoyed with dieing cause I have no health. I am playing on the easiest dificultly and it's still a pain. I know I need to get better but this just wasn't fun. Arcane studios do a better job with the difficulty settings.

I am so angry with this game I just need to stop writing. Please don't flame me, the game was good I just don't like dieing every 30 seconds.

Love this game. Intense and really requires me to think and plan out my attacks. I will say this about neuromods

neuromods drm! This mother fucker, now I need to unlock it so I can make some more, damn it

I've heard a lot of comparisons with System Shock, but I'm curious what make this game "System Shock like". I loved both the original and its sequel because of the feeling of dread of being alone on a dead/doomed space station filled with monsters, with lots of exploration to do, gear to improve, dead bodies & empty rooms with audio logs to learn what happened, etc.

I've never played System Shock and it feels like you just described Prey lol.

I hate to admit this, but I deleted this damn game from the hard drive. I am so annoyed with dieing cause I have no health. I am playing on the easiest dificultly and it's still a pain. I know I need to get better but this just wasn't fun. Arcane studios do a better job with the difficulty settings.

I am so angry with this game I just need to stop writing. Please don't flame me, the game was good I just don't like dieing every 30 seconds.

No flaming. I'm not sure how you played, but some play styles can make it much harder than it really is. That said, if you ever pick up the game again, as it seems like you liked it, try to explore as much as you can be for continuing the story missions. You become ridiculously op that way. It's not really a game to rush through. I think it took me close to 40hours for me to beat.

Love this game. Intense and really requires me to think and plan out my attacks. I will say this about neuromods

neuromods drm! This mother fucker, now I need to unlock it so I can make some more, damn it

I actually got the proper(?) plans so it never blocked me. If you want to know where,
go to the lobby area when you got your first neuromod. Make a gloo bridge it make it to the 2nd floor or repair the elevator. In one of the rooms you can unblock it.

Norse360

I finished this game a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it. Some annoying parts, but that always seems to be the case with this kind of game (like System Shock).

Aurongel

Just spent an hour trying to debug my ini file because of the stumbling effect triggered by radiation poisoning. I've never seen a game do that before so I assumed it was a crazy bug. I was in zero g when I sustained it so it took me almost an hour before I saw the wobble and I assumed i inadvertently set view bob to 20000% in my settings file or something.

StarPhlox

I having fallen super hard for this game.

Been taking my time and doing a lot of side-stuff and now I'm at the point where Alex asked me to come back to his office after rebooting the whole Talos I.

About how far am I from the end?

Just spent an hour trying to debug my ini file because of the stumbling effect triggered by radiation poisoning. I've never seen a game do that before so I assumed it was a crazy bug. I was in zero g when I sustained it so it took me almost an hour before I saw the wobble and I assumed i inadvertently set view bob to 20000% in my settings file or something.

For radiation poisoning, you need to use anti-rads or have a Medical Operator cure your condition

Been taking my time and doing a lot of side-stuff and now I'm at the point where Alex asked me to come back to his office after rebooting the whole Talos I.

About an hour or two from the end.

You're gonna encounter
Military Operators later on, and here are few ways to deal with them:
- Using a stun gun or electrostatic burst against them
- Hack them to get em on your side (You need Hacking 4 for that to work)
- Block the Operator dispensers with objects

StarPhlox

For radiation poisoning, you need to use anti-rads or have a Medical Operator cure your condition

You're gonna encounter

Thanks for the tips! I have hacking level 3 so I guess I'll invest neuromods for level 4 :)

Purkake4

Banned

You're gonna encounter
Machine mind, son.

I actually got the proper(?) plans so it never blocked me. If you want to know where,
go to the lobby area when you got your first neuromod. Make a gloo bridge it make it to the 2nd floor or repair the elevator. In one of the rooms you can unblock it.

Interesting. I didn't know they were different plans.

I think I tried to make like 7 or 8 neuromods and then I got locked out, but yeah, I will have to try to head to the neuromod division to unlock it.

Game is real fun, I keep on flipping back and forth on how I want my playstyle to be. Maxing out on health is my first goal, I know that for sure.l

Interesting. I didn't know they were different plans.

I think I tried to make like 7 or 8 neuromods and then I got locked out, but yeah, I will have to try to head to the neuromod division to unlock it.

Game is real fun, I keep on flipping back and forth on how I want my playstyle to be. Maxing out on health is my first goal, I know that for sure.l

I'm not sure if they are different plans, it might be that in that area I unlocked the way to make them unlimited. It's funny, as I was able to make unlimited mods before I got to psychotronics.

I'm not sure if they are different plans, it might be that in that area I unlocked the way to make them unlimited. It's funny, as I was able to make unlimited mods before I got to psychotronics.

Ah gotcha. Yeah, I love the freedom this game gives you. I will try to head that way later tonight.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if anyone knows how to get the damn science operator into the damn morgue I'll never forget you and will reward you in this life and every subsequence one.

edit: it sucks that this is my first post ITT. This game is otherwise, like, one of the best immersive FPS I've played in ages. So many smart decisions that respect the person playing.

Erheller

if anyone knows how to get the damn science operator into the damn morgue I'll never forget you and will reward you in this life and every subsequence one.

Didn't work for me.
Break the glass and use the crossbow to hit the button.

phant0m

If you bee-line past enemies, probably 90-120 minutes? Depends on what "choices" you make at the end too. I just beat it this past weekend. Great game.

StarPhlox

I upgraded to hacking 4 as was suggested and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

Loved how everything played out at the end and that it felt like my choices at the end actually did matter (given that the complaints I heard about the ending were the opposite).

Kazuhira

Is hacking really necessary to unlock every door in the game? I know some keypads don't work and you can only hack them(most of those require hack lvl 3/4) and usually there's an alternative path to get inside.
Anyway,just wondering if you can find every password/code for all the doors and computers if you explore very thoroughly.

I upgraded to hacking 4 as was suggested and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

Loved how everything played out at the end and that it felt like my choices at the end actually did matter (given that the complaints I heard about the ending were the opposite).

In a way your choices didn't matter.
In the grand scheme of things, humans are still fucked. Though the choices did matter in whether Alex chooses to trust you or kill you.
Is hacking really necessary to unlock every door in the game? I know some keypads don't work and you can only hack them(most of those require hack lvl 3/4) and usually there's an alternative path to get inside.
Anyway,just wondering if you can find every password/code for all the doors and computers if you explore very thoroughly.

Don't think you need hacking for every door. It just make things easier. You should be able to find codes for all of them. It just requires more backtracking.

Kazuhira

In a way your choices didn't matter.
In the grand scheme of things, humans are still fucked. Though the choices did matter in whether Alex chooses to trust you or kill you.
It's more about the game acknowledging your actions than altering the outcome of the story,which is pretty much what the final plot twist is about imo.

Don't think you need hacking for every door. It just make things easier. You should be able to find codes for all of them. It just requires more backtracking.

Just asking because of the 'No Needles' run.

It's more about the game acknowledging your actions than altering the outcome of the story,which is pretty much what the final plot twist is about imo.

Just asking because of the 'No Needles' run.

Yeah I get that, it just might not have been enough for some people. People tend to want more noticeable(?) change.

leng jai

Whats with the NPC voices being loud AF? I turned the volume down to 60% and it seems to make no difference. I don't understand why every Bethesda game seems to have garbage sound mixing.

15-20 hours in. What a great game. Finally, a immersive sim in the vein of System Shock 2 and Deus Ex 1. Where inventory matters, where exploration matters, where you have a decent freedom in how to solve problems or how to move around the station.

I'm playing in Hard, and at least doing it in that difficulty is imo a must. Even in that difficulty at this point I'm accumulating a good amount of health kits and other stuff, so I think I could switch to Nightmare.

leng jai

The sound mixing is comically bad but apart from that this is a great game so far. Should I just be hoarding everything and then throwing them in the recycler later on? I really stuffed up not getting the inventory upgrade first it seems.

How early can you get the golden pistol? Also, which weapons should I upgrade first? The kits are taking up too much space.

You'll get a quest by listening to an audio log from a certain captain on the bridge.

You should upgrade Stun Gun and Shotgun first. You should also invest into Gunsmithing ability to be able to fully upgrade them

edit: it sucks that this is my first post ITT. This game is otherwise, like, one of the best immersive FPS I've played in ages. So many smart decisions that respect the person playing.

There is a bot that goes in every 30 minutes. I needed to stand further away down the hall as it did not seem to work otherwise. That's 30 minutes of real time by the way. Not compressed game time.

Good luck!

leng jai

This would be in contention for my GOTY if the audio wasn't so dismal. It really is outrageously bad, to the point that it has seriously detrimental effects to both gameplay and atmosphere. NPC voices have zero directionality to them. They're just louder than everything else and sound like they are in your head no matter where they're meant to be coming from. Half the time it sounds like there are enemies right to you but you can't even see them because they're are, in actual fact, ages away in another area altogether. Volume is all over the place in general, and I'm not sure what's up with just the random noises that are super loud and annoying AF.

SJRB

Gold Member
This game would've ended up in my top 3 greatest games of all time. I love everything about this, except the combat. God is it annoying and unrewarding.

I'm not far in, only heading to the arboretum for the first time, but I've been playing for 11 hours. Exploring is great, the art deco visuals are incredible, the area design is really well done. The lore, the e-mails, the whole recycling concept, neuromods, the world building, everything is just awesome.

But sheesh, the combat. After getting ambushed by a mimick for the 10th time the fun is kinda over. Yeah yeah gloo it, whack it with the wrench. Just a minor annoyance because more often than not the ambush takes a chunk of your health, there's nothing fun or challenging about it. The Phantoms I avoid as most as I can. Also whoever thought it was a good idea to let water add only +1 to your health is crazy. Why not +5 per sip?

But jeez, the rest of this game is straight up awesome. Going into
outer space
for the first time was incredible.

Also bought the Art of Prey, incredible artbook but I fear to browse through it because of spoilers. Only glanced at a few pages but it's really great.

This game would've ended up in my top 3 greatest games of all time. I love everything about this, except the combat. God is it annoying and unrewarding.

I'm not far in, only heading to the arboretum for the first time, but I've been playing for 11 hours. Exploring is great, the art deco visuals are incredible, the area design is really well done. The lore, the e-mails, the whole recycling concept, neuromods, the world building, everything is just awesome.

But sheesh, the combat. After getting ambushed by a mimick for the 10th time the fun is kinda over. Yeah yeah gloo it, whack it with the wrench. Just a minor annoyance because more often than not the ambush takes a chunk of your health, there's nothing fun or challenging about it. The Phantoms I avoid as most as I can. Also whoever thought it was a good idea to let water add only +1 to your health is crazy. Why not +5 per sip?

But jeez, the rest of this game is straight up awesome. Going into
outer space
for the first time was incredible.

Also bought the Art of Prey, incredible artbook but I fear to browse through it because of spoilers. Only glanced at a few pages but it's really great.

For the mimics you should do a scan of the area. It points out all mimics then you can shoot them with the pistol and call it a day.
For the water thing, I think it's mostly for you psi. Besides having water recharge that much kinda messes with the difficulty. You won't need to mind your health since water is abundant.

Skulldead

15-20 hours in. What a great game. Finally, a immersive sim in the vein of System Shock 2 and Deus Ex 1. Where inventory matters, where exploration matters, where you have a decent freedom in how to solve problems or how to move around the station.

I'm playing in Hard, and at least doing it in that difficulty is imo a must. Even in that difficulty at this point I'm accumulating a good amount of health kits and other stuff, so I think I could switch to Nightmare.

This was my first reaction, i was amaze how fun it was because of the survival element, the bad thing, it doesn't stay that way really long... (I've play on nightmare). At the end you rush everywhere, skip most of the gun fight because you can jump and fly nearly everywhere without issue. And difficulty disappear because you are immune to most elemental attack , can rush enemies and shotgun them to death.

And I just finished it.

26 hours.
I blew up the station. Not that it mattered.

It has been a very good game, overall. Not perfect. Some quick pros and cons:

**Pros:**

-Great space station. From the variety of 'decks', to the all the sub-areas that are in a level, to how it was all connected internally or externally, and all having a degree of verisimilitude. You could believe it worked.

-Very good use of zero gravity environments. It isn't nothing original at this point in videogames, but here it's well exploited.

-Good environmental puzzles. From platform moments where you have to use the verticality with the help of boxes, to having to search someone with the help of a security station, to hidden maintenance tunnels, to having to use a computer special features for a quest, etc. They never are hard, this isn't a puzzle or a platform game, but they are involved enough. They don't feel like the designer put the solution just in front of you like in Bioshock or the last Deus Ex, you have to look a bit for yourself. It felt as it the game respected the player's intelligence, there was no minimap, in some quests you had to read the instructions and decide what to do instead of following the quests marker, etc.

-Good character progression. No xp for killing, but killing enemies give you resources to craft neuromods, that are like skill points. The pace where you unlock neuromods and improve your weapons feel right.

-Good sense of tension, of isolation, during most of the game.

-Great little crafting system. Easy to use, helps recollection by minimizing crap in your inventory while at the same time gives some value to that 'crap' so it still makes sense to collect it.

-Of course, good mix of a bit of action, and adventure, where I include exploration, stealth, quests, resource management & crafting, etc. It may look like a FPS but the shooty parts are reined back in this game.

-There is a decent amount of backtracking, but with the great design of the station it makes sense to use it, and very intelligently a good amount of all the back tracking (say, 2/3 of it) is optional because it's related to the secondary quests.

-Related to the last point, the respawn system is also good. There is enemy respawn because there has to be in game with backtracking and interconnected levels, but it isn't overwhelming, the amount of enemies is inferior than the original level, and it only activates when some main quests advance (I think there are a pair of secondary quests that also triggers it). So sometimes I could return back to a previous level to finish a secondary quest and it was empty. It would be a bother if every time you switch levels the enemies reappear.

**Cons:**

-The story never really grabbed me. I had interest on it on an intellectual level because the mystery part on it, but I wasn't really emotionally invested on it. It felt very in the background, it's more a gameplay-first experience.

-The game lacks a bit in difficulty. If you have a bit of patience, if you are the exploration fan type, the type who likes to be efficient with the resources and make smart choices (in other words, the type of player who would like this game in the first place!), the game isn't particularly hard once you 'get it'. At the 16th hour mark I switched from Hard to Nightmare difficulty in the game options and I still could have played in an even more difficult setting. And I don't like super difficult games!
For example, it didn't really felt like it had a survival horror flair like System Shock 2 because it wasn't hard enough for that. Meanwhile, in this game I finished with 70-75 medkits in my inventory (And with +30 grenades of every type and etc etc) because usually with the medical operators and the foods/drinks I had enough. I used maybe 3 medkits in all the game. And I didn't get any power that would heal me or regen me.

-At 26 hours (and that's not counting loading times and retries with the quickload) the game overstays its welcome. The solution wouldn't be to shorten its length, it's a good duration for a single player game. What the game needs is a bit more of content, like a pair more of enemy types and a pair more of different weapons. I was disappointed when I saw the
invasion forces where operations painted in black, and not real human soldiers which could have opened up another venue of gameplay.
The game could also have used the trick of SS2 and use possessed laboratory animals as another type of enemy (monkeys!). Same with the weapons: pistol, gloo gun, shotgun, emp gun, energy cannon, and the grenades. That's it? And not even ammo types? Weak.

Is there a good wiki or anything for summaries/analysis of the various side stories? I like the game but it does fuck all to help keep track of things. Why can't I view every piece of date relating to a character or subplot?

Case in point the treasure side quest. Terrible design. Forgot what the map showed? Time to find the needle in the haystack again.

haveheart

Banned
And I just finished it.

**Cons:**

-The story never really grabbed me. I had interest on it on an intellectual level because the mystery part on it, but I wasn't really emotionally invested on it. It felt very in the background, it's more a gameplay-first experience.

-The game lacks a bit in difficulty. If you have a bit of patience, if you are the exploration fan type, the type who likes to be efficient with the resources and make smart choices (in other words, the type of player who would like this game in the first place!), the game isn't particularly hard once you 'get it'. At the 16th hour mark I switched from Hard to Nightmare difficulty in the game options and I still could have played in an even more difficult setting. And I don't like super difficult games!
For example, it didn't really felt like it had a survival horror flair like System Shock 2 because it wasn't hard enough for that. Meanwhile, in this game I finished with 70-75 medkits in my inventory (And with +30 grenades of every type and etc etc) because usually with the medical operators and the foods/drinks I had enough. I used maybe 3 medkits in all the game. And I didn't get any power that would heal me or regen me.

-At 26 hours (and that's not counting loading times and retries with the quickload) the game overstays its welcome. The solution wouldn't be to shorten its length, it's a good duration for a single player game. What the game needs is a bit more of content, like a pair more of enemy types and a pair more of different weapons. I was disappointed when I saw the
invasion forces where operations painted in black, and not real human soldiers which could have opened up another venue of gameplay.
The game could also have used the trick of SS2 and use possessed laboratory animals as another type of enemy (monkeys!). Same with the weapons: pistol, gloo gun, shotgun, emp gun, energy cannon, and the grenades. That's it? And not even ammo types? Weak.

I found the story more captivating the longer I thought about it after finishing the game. But It's definitely a case of a story that fades out. You can't deny, however, that the opening hour is one of the best of all time. I did not see that coming. Unfortunately, it's paced down after 3 or 4 hours. That's when environmental storytelling sets in (which I love tbh). Combining both would be great but probably wouldn't favor exploration.

And you shouldn't forget that alien powers are weapons, too.

I totally understand your cons, though. Not a perfect game, but pretty close ;)

munroe

Is there a good wiki or anything for summaries/analysis of the various side stories? I like the game but it does fuck all to help keep track of things. Why can't I view every piece of date relating to a character or subplot?

Case in point the treasure side quest. Terrible design. Forgot what the map showed? Time to find the needle in the haystack again.

I know what you mean and agreed, having to scroll through all of your notes/logs to find that one map is kinda annoying.

I'm currently playing through Dragon Age and that's got quite a nice note section which separates notes by area/culture etc and quest related ones separately

StarPhlox

Doing a no-needles run sounds miserable so I will never do that, but I would like to play more with the typhon powers since I largely skipped those my first time through. What an awesome game. Certainly going to stay in my top 10 for the GOTY discussions.

CloudWolf

Ugh, I think my 'I and It' playthrough is fucked. I missed out on properly following the cook's storyline in my pacifist playthrough because
I just stunned him before going into the freezer
, but then I found out he's got all these awesome lines of dialogue that I missed. So I intentionally kept him alive during the first meeting to shoot him in the face later, but apparently at that point he doesn't count towards the 'Humans killed' stat? I reloaded the game, killed him again and again in all kinds of different ways, but the counter stays at 34, while it should be 35.
Kept Ingwe alive to get the Awkward Ride Home achievement as well, which I probably won't get either now.

I'll keep playing, but I have a feeling I won't get my achievement at the end of it all :(. Goddammit Arkane.

Playing with just typhon mods is awesome by the way. You're extremely vulnerable at the start and will never be able to take a lot of stuff with you, but goddamn, once you get going with the powers you become an unstoppable monster. The one thing I don't like though is how your Psi pool is decided by human neuromods, doesn't really make sense considering
the development of psionic powers had everything to do with the Typhons.

The game really has that Bethseda jank when it comes to the NPCs. Some quantum shit going on with characters in multiple locations both alive and dead. Also multiple characters talking over each other is common and annoying. Some serious scripting issues.

Top Bottom