• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

The Flash

Banned
IMG_20170428_180953.jpg

Elixist

did the cdkeys 35 bucks thing awhile ago. im liking the atmosphere for sure the combat looks kinda shit tho, hopefully it gets better mid/late game

aravuus

I've tried staying in the dark regarding this in case it does turn out to be fantastic. Afaik, it's more or less an atmospheric, Bioshock-esque sci-fi mystery-thriller, right?

I'm planning on just relaxing and staying home for the weekend, so if I've got it right, this could be the perfect game to play all Friday and Saturday night. Curtains shut, lights off, coffee and/or beer at hand.

noomi

We dont know anything about ps4 pro or pc performance so I am waiting...

Need to know how it will be on either system before pulling the trigger.

SomTervo

Great OT title. Laughed.

I've tried staying in the dark regarding this in case it does turn out to be fantastic. Afaik, it's more or less an atmospheric, Bioshock-esque sci-fi mystery-thriller, right?

Same here, stayed in the dark but read the demo impressions a lot. Your description sounds totally on point.

Gothos

Oh, so it's gonna be VPN-ed today? Awesome. Can't wait to hear about performance. Pre-order button ready! :)

The likeness to Corvo is ridiculous. I hope there's some meta reasoning for that.

Male Morgan (Including Female Morgan) is Asian in-game, so the face that Flash photoshoped was made by Cedric Peyraverney (One of the concept artists behind Dishonored games)

ISee

We dont know anything about ps4 pro or pc performance so I am waiting...

Need to know how it will be on either system before pulling the trigger.

We had some PC streams in the last two days. The game was running on the high preset at 1080p/60fps without problems besides some minor texture streaming isues while running around corners at full speed. I didn't watch for too long, but framepacing and general performance seemed fine. Of course there were no PC specs given, so this might have been a 7700k/1080Ti combo brute forcing the game into 60 fps at 1080p, but I'm willing to at least hope for good pc performance now.

DocSeuss

I don't get the OT title... Then again I don't get any of the OT titles...

Scroll up to the top of this page.

There's a meme of a guy saying "trust no one, not even yourself." This is a pun, or a play on words, on that joke. Because Mimics can turn into things. So don't trust inanimate objects.

Denzar

gotta wait to hear about that PC performance but i hope it's good because this game looks neat

I'm with you, man. I was super stoked for Dishonored 2, but I refuse to play it in it's (still) broken state. Prey uses CryEngine so here's hoping this game doesn't run like utter shit on PC.

It still hurts that Human Head's Prey 2 will never see the light of day, but what Arkane has created has me more than intrigued. Awaiting those reviews, even though I don't really want to support Bethesda's/Zenimax' extremely scummy business practices.

Shari

No pressure, right? :D

Same for me. I accept dishonored 2 as yet another ID Tech casualty but no more excuses, running on CryEngine, studio heads saying PC version is base version and being very aware of the dishonored 2 situation.

So I bite the bullet and preorder because the price is right, but not more excuses, if performance is shit this will be my last akrane game.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Been pretty dark on this game. Haven't watched any of the newer trailers.

Will get if reviews are solid.

What's the word on Pro support?

Van Bur3n

Despite surprisingly enjoying the demo, I'll be waiting for reviews. Which I imagine will take a while because Bethesda is being Bethesda as usual.

Moff

I need a pc performance thread and a few brave gaffers who are willing to try it and give feedback before I buy.

Are they? CryEngine 3 was shelved out late 2013, this game started development some point in 2015 when it was just CryEngine.

Wikipedia says Cryengine 5. Very few games use that engine so far (though apparently they run ok).

I trust Arland, but I still want to get real-world feedback before I take the plunge. Games with engines proven to run well beforehand have ended up being shitshows on PC regardless, so I'd rather be cautious.

Do we know when reviews will be out?

Sometime in the next few days most likely.

Javier23

Banned
I remember the original reveal in 2016. Morgan didn't look Asian then and there was no female Morgan either. Good on them to change it and make it more inclusive.
He was already noticeably Asian in both name (the Yu surname was already clearly visible) and appearance from the CG reveal trailer, looked exactly as he does now (they went for a mixed look from the beginning), and I doubt that the decision to include a playable female Morgan was taken between the reveal and October when they showcased the possibility given the short window, the state of the game development by the time of the reveal and the unisex name of the character.

LowRoller

Few days after release. Remember, per Bethesda's recent policy, there's no pre-release reviews from their games these days.
Cannot remember the last time I played a game without reading reviews. Kinda excited to get into it without any pre conceived notions.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
No pressure, right? :D

I'm in, too. 80s sci fi and PK Dick vibes + immersive sim and I can't resist. I'm a weak man.
Um.... I've bought the game, guys (^___^)

As for the rest... Dishonored 2 PC port is still fucked up after almost half a year since the game was released and Arkane will never fix it and because of that many people won't be playing a really good game, at least until one day they'll be able to bruteforce it by using much and much powerful hardware, which to be frank is just ridiculous and no one should do this. The game MUST work flawlessly even on current hardware.

What I'm saying is this - the cup of patience is already overflown and won't handle something like this again.

Protome

Definitely waiting for reviews on this one if I get it at all. Don't like supporting Bethesda's anti-consumer bullshit.

I have the Prey key from GMG. Since I have no use for it (I already used the key I got from CDKeys), I'll be giving it to anyone who's on Steam who wants it.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

EDIT: The key now belongs to killercow. Hope you enjoy Prey, killercow :)

Much after release, because no review copies are distributed. Can't risk reviews informing consumers and affect sales now, can we?

Maybe Bethesda just thinks that most reviewers have no idea what they're talking about.
I could understand them. We shouldn't listen to reviews. We should play the game because we want to play it....because it's fun and interesting.

Interview with Raphael Colantonio by v0mitgod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hk7ks5YoWI

Oh, interesting that the devs might use the trauma and other survival things for a post-launch harder difficulty mode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hk7ks5YoWI#t=6m13s
"We're thinking of re-enabling them in some update later. Once the people have played the game and might want to replay it in super hard mode. Now they can also break a bone or have a concussion or anything that we used to have."

Stoze

Are they? CryEngine 3 was shelved out late 2013, this game started development some point in 2015 when it was just CryEngine.
I believe development started in 2013, going off this whole debacle. Could be wrong.
Wikipedia says Cryengine 5. Very few games use that engine so far (though apparently they run ok).
Gamespot recently said it was CryEngine 3, I've seen outlets mess up engine details before though.

Top Bottom