• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Corpekata

Banned
Maybe Bethesda just thinks that most reviewers have no idea what they're talking about.
I could understand them. We shouldn't listen to reviews. We should play the game because we want to play it....because it's fun and interesting.

Reviews can inform people if a game is fun and interesting.

This isn't Netflix, these are 60 dollar purchases that request usually a minimum 10 hours of your time. Not everyone can just impulse buy that sort of investment.

And they're just not sending them EARLY, they're still sending them. And creating Accolades Trailers for when they release a good game like Doom.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
When and where is it unlocked for VPN?

It unlocks in AU and NZ in:

t1493910000z0.png

Well done OT with a hilarious subtitle. Excited for this- and happy the PC version seems to be running much better than Dishonored 2 at launch (according to recent vids/streams within last 2 days)

HYPE

tMjfgbd.gif

Reviews can inform people if a game is fun and interesting.

This isn't Netflix, these are 60 dollar purchases that request usually a minimum 10 hours of your time. Not everyone can just impulse buy that sort of investment.

And they're just not sending them EARLY, they're still sending them. And creating Accolades Trailers for when they release a good game like Doom.

Reviews are subjective. They don't tell you what you should think about a game.
The reviews I've read this year were mostly terrible...horrendous. I won't read any reviews in the future.
Yooka-Laylee is a good example. But even positive reviews (horizon and Zelda) were abysmal. I could write better reviews.

Anyway, I can understand when a publisher is sick of reviewers who don't even remember the original games that influenced this new game.
Just listen to user reviews on steam or reddit.

JaseC

and happy the PC version seems to be running much better than Dishonored 2 at launch (according to recent vids/streams within last 2 days)

Come to think of it, I suppose I should update my drivers as it seems decided unlikely that new game-ready drivers from Nvidia will surface before the game unlocks here. I'm one or two releases behind.

Mutombo

The reviews I've read this year were mostly terrible...horrendous. I won't read any reviews in the future.
Yooka-Laylee is a good example. But even positive reviews (horizon and Zelda) were abysmal. I could write better reviews.

Anyway, I can understand when a publisher is sick of reviewers who don't even remember the original games that influenced this new game.

i'm just chiming in that, people who pretend reviews are objective, or are supposed to be, are objectively wrong.

A review is indeed an opinion piece by an author which, if written well, convinces the reader. If not written well, then it doesn't convince.

Reviews should be judged by that, an only that; like a teacher would review an opinion piece by a student; how do the arguments convince?

Buy this is GAF, and reviews are judged by their numbers.

Ironic, aint it.

Corpekata

Banned

I didn't say reviews should tell you what to think. No shit they are subjective, that's the nature of how things work in an entertainment medium. What is even your point here?

Reviews can inform readers by more than "I COPY YOUR OPINION MASTER" like you seem to think. Even just basics like length, controls, technical issues, etc.

I didn't say reviews should tell you what to think. No shit they are subjective, that's the nature of how things work in an entertainment medium. What is even your point here?

Reviews can inform readers by more than "I COPY YOUR OPINION MASTER" like you seem to think. Even just basics like length, controls, technical issues, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that. Most reviews will talk about graphics and framerate though. These seem to be the most important aspects nowadays (which is sad).

JaseC

Do we still need to remove the mobile authenticator and reset our pass before we VPN?

You don't need to remove the authenticator, just sign out of the mobile app and change your password. You'll still receive Steam Guard codes in the app.

Shifty

Hm, it's not been on my radar but this game is shaping up to sound pretty interes-

Your abilities are acquired through Neuromods, which you learn through putting a needle into your eyeball.

NOPE. I ain't Dead Space 2-ing myself every time I want to spend a skill point.
Is there a gore setting or something for those of us who can't deal with that shit?

lcap

Great OT! Now I play the waiting game with Bethesda's distributor in Brazil, that initially promised the game for launch day and now doesn't have an estimated shipping date.

Protome

The purpose of reviews isn't to tell you how to think about a game. They're to tell you how the reviewer felt about a game so you can form your own opinions. Maybe a reviewer disliked X in a game. You know from past experience that X doesn't bother you in other games, so you'll probably like the game a little more than the reviewer. That means the review was still useful for you even if you didn't agree with it.

Also Steam user reviews are a fucking cesspool, I'm genuinely shocked to see anyone recommend them.

Bethesda's policy exists entirely to keep users uninformed about the quality of a game before they part with their money it's nothing to do with "Reviewers being bad at their jobs."

The purpose of reviews isn't to tell you how to think about a game. They're to tell you how the reviewer felt about a game so you can form your own opinions. Maybe a reviewer disliked X in a game. You know from past experience that X doesn't bother you in other games, so you'll probably like the game a little more than the reviewer. That means the review was still useful for you even if you didn't agree with it.

Also Steam user reviews are a fucking cesspool, I'm genuinely shocked to see anyone recommend them.

The review is only useful if the reviewer know's what he/she is talking about. You have to trust him/her blindly.

I'm not doing this anymore.

Stoze

They would be wrong. Definitely using a later branch then CE 3 (which would be Crysis 2 to Crysis 3 era).

That's what I figured. I'm guessing it's 3.6-4 (and that would somewhat explain the confusion), but if it's CryEngine 5, would it be the first non-Crytek (and non-VR) game released on the new version?

Hm, it's not been on my radar but this game is shaping up to sound pretty interes-

NOPE. I ain't Dead Space 2-ing myself every time I want to spend a skill point.
Is there a gore setting or something for those of us who can't deal with that shit?

There's not a lot of gore, thankfully. There's mind-contolled humans in which their head explodes if you get too close

Marcel

If I was able to handle Dishonored 2 on PS4 will I be able to enjoy this? I find there's lots of hyperbole with regards to the console version reactions.

Um.... I've bought the game, guys (^___^)

As for the rest... Dishonored 2 PC port is still fucked up after almost half a year since the game was released and Arkane will never fix it and because of that many people won't be playing a really good game, at least until one day they'll be able to bruteforce it by using much and much powerful hardware, which to be frank is just ridiculous and no one should do this. The game MUST work flawlessly even on current hardware.

What I'm saying is this - the cup of patience is already overflown and won't handle something like this again.

High five.

Also, yeah, I'm with you. Dishonored 2 PC is ridiculous. Crashing/stuttering/etc to this day. What a pile of shit the Rage engine was/is. They never should have built off of it, and should have waited for id tech 6.

The more I dwell on it, the better that cdkeys deal looks, might be buying it soon. Especially since, despite all it technical problems, Dishonored 2 was my game of the year last year.

nel e nel

The review is only useful if the reviewer know's what he/she is talking about. You have to trust him/her blindly.

Maybe if reviews came with some sort of authentication or credentials so we know that the writer lives up to our standards then we could trust them again. I vote they should attach their gaming resumes from now on.

nOoblet16

He was already noticeably Asian in both name (the Yu surname was already clearly visible) and appearance from the CG reveal trailer, looked exactly as he does now (they went for a mixed look from the beginning), and I doubt that the decision to include a playable female Morgan was taken between the reveal and October when they showcased the possibility given the short window, the state of the game development by the time of the reveal and the unisex name of the character.

Not really

Shifty

There's not a lot of gore, thankfully. There's mind-contolled humans in which their head explodes if you get too close

Headsplosions and general gore I can deal with, it's (very specifically) eye mutilation that is an instant nope-out for me.

I'll admit, it's a pretty specific problem to have.

Bishop89

Wont buy this at launch but definitely want this.

Bethesda has been great at reducing prices for their games so will get it for cheap near the end of the year

You've never found a critic who you trust? Or haven't looked for someone who aligns with your tastes?

Since this is an immersive sim, I'm going to take critics who've played them (i.e. PC Gamer, Rock Paper Shotgun) in higher regard their opinion on Prey than other critics.

sueil

So does this release regionally on Steam? If I connect to an AUS VPN the Steam website says 3 hours but the client says 16 hours.

nOoblet16

Headsplosions and general gore I can deal with, it's (very specifically) eye mutilation that is an instant nope-out for me.

It's not really eye mutilation, it's basically 2 needles that go to the side of the eye through the gap and onto the brain. But you only see it the first time you do it rather than every time you spend a skill point, which would be odd.

Stoze

I just realized, outside of that there's not much rated R stuff in here, at least in the demo. I think I saw one swear word in an email and I explored pretty thoroughly.

Then again the mimic attacks you witness are pretty gruesome.

ltr

Neo Member
You've never found a critic who you trust? Or haven't looked for someone who aligns with your tastes?

Since this is an immersive sim, I'm going to take critics who've played them (i.e. PC Gamer, Rock Paper Shotgun) in higher regard their opinion on Prey than other critics.

Not really, no. I read them but just for entertainment. Reviews don't have any influence on my purchases anymore

JaseC

What's this you guys are talking about unlocking it through VPN? I thought the Steam version unlocks at the same time globally?

https://bethesda.net/en/article/6At50JUQPSi0EqGK6qgYya/prey-system-specs-achievements-demo-launch

Bethesda updated the unlock times on Steam a few days later. It's unlocking first in AU and NZ:

Available: 4 May
This game will unlock in approximately 3 hours

Note that "3 hours" is actually "4 hours" because Valve broke the timer when it added "... in approximately less than an hour" into the mix about, uh, a year ago now. That does translate to 1am AEST, though, which seems like a mistake, in which case the game may end up unlocking at midnight instead.

finlaybob

Neo Member

Try getting real life injections in your eye sometime, Macular Degeneration is a bitch ;)

It's actually not too bad, only the initial neuromod pickup cutscene has you watching at the "jabby-eye" part. After that it's just an option on the menu.

It's kind of like Bioshock when you get the first plasmid and you see yourself injecting it, then after you just "get" the powers.

jimboton

Scanning is intentionally restrictive and uncomfortable so players don’t stay in it a la Batman Arkham Asylum.

Uh oh. Does this game have detective vision? How does it work and what kind of info does it give?

Skulldead

After digging the demo for a easy 2 hours on nightmare, i think i'll buy this game at launch, it remind me a lot of System Shock, which is not a bad thing. Only the hacking minigame that i think is pretty bad/average. But they can have some variation ? i don't know.

You could also just find reviewers you enjoy reading and find your tastes line up a majority of the time. That means following writers and not outlets.

Also they are not asking for blind trust. A good review will explain why they like or dislike certain aspects of a game. It's then up to you to decide if the points the reviewer brings up are ones that often bother you.

and this is different from a user review how?

I'm not a PC gamer but when I go to steam and see 1500 user reviews for a game...I'd trust them more than 60 "official" reviews. Also, many users compare games to other games they've played earlier. This is important.
But it was just an example. I'm not trusting steam reviews either because well...I don't have steam and I'm not playing pc games. ^^

I remember the original reveal in 2016. Morgan didn't look Asian then and there was no female Morgan either. Good on them to change it and make it more inclusive.
Not really
rkTMtoC.jpg

OnQMv3w.jpg
First, you're comparing CGI to in-game. Second, how does the CGI Morgan not look Asian? His name is M. Yu right there in the CGI reveal trailer, so it's not like he was some other ethnicity back then.
prey_cgi_reveal_trailer_morgan_yu_by_digi_matrix-db82kru.png

He looks like this in the CGI trailer, looks pretty Asian.

prey_cgi_reveal_trailer_morgan_yu_by_digi_matrix-db82kfv.png

Third, just a month after the E3 reveal, Raphael says you can play as a male or female Morgan. That's why they picked a gender-neutral name like Morgan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VeMnngn2UM#t=1m13s

You'll notice in the demo, there are plenty of female references such as a purse, dialogue, and other gendered things, so it would be quite an intensely quick "change" if they had only planned for a male Morgan from the beginning. If they wanted just a male protagonist from the start, they wouldn't have picked a gender neutral name and gone for something more male-centric. Pretty sure they had a female Morgan planned from the very beginning, or that's one heck of a change.

Freeman76

and this is different from a user review how?

Its no different, the only reason he "isnt doing this anymore" is because this reasoning is straight up nonsense and he has nowhere left to go with it.

To say published reviews are rubbish and steam user reviews should be considered is fucking insane. Black or white thinking is never a good thing.

Top Bottom