• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

After patch 1.05, I finally bought it on Saturday night and am really fucking hooked.

To be clear, I progress through games at a very leisurely pace. My favorite aspect is usually exploration and seeing every nook and cranny and this game's world seems to be basically designed for people like me. It's giving me a slight case of OCD meltdown sometimes with just how much detail there is, but I'm thoroughly enjoying getting lost in its world.

I especially enjoy the interestingly quiet atmosphere. The fact they listened and toned down that idiotic nonstop crescendo of noise they used for encounters in the demo makes a HUGE difference. I've been playing with headphones and love hearing the ticking of the those tape machines everywhere, buzzing of vents and so on.

Now for some questions, which I will spoiler tag, please only give me a simple yes or no if answering:

In Volunteer Testing, there's that chamber used for neuromod extraction.
My first thought was to drag a corpse over and see if I can place him/her in the chair to get some mods...to no avail. Is there any use for this contraption?

Is there something like a storage bin (Resi style) or something along the lines or do I carry all my shit in my inventory at all times? The weapons and ammo are piling up.

In the main Fabrication room, there are some floor grates showing a crawlspace type area below...can I get there from the Neuromod Division area and I just haven't found how, or do I need to come back to that later?

Some other random thoughts:

-All the neuromod "augmentations" seem so fucking cool, I never know what to pick and it's driving me nuts every time.
-The fact I progressed through the first few hours of the game almost completely differently than in the demo struck me at some point and I found it really impressive, kudos Arkane.
-I'm really into the gadget-y weapons so far. The stun gun is great. Dishing out one-two punches with incapacitating weapons + shotgun is a lot of fun thus far.

1) No
2) No,
3) You can get there. Forgot the area names, location is spoiled,
you can access that area by removing the grate next to the recycler.

Edit: Looks like you can do the second one. You could
also, just leave things on the floor. They don't disappear. I generally just leave things in the office.

1) No
2) No

I'm an idiot...I forgot that quoting a post reveals the spoiler in the reply haha. Well, no biggie, can't wait to check that later today.

There is a safe in your office, you can keep things there.

Wait, you can specifically put items into a safe? I thought all you could do was hit "discard", or whatever R3 does in the inventory, and my character just kind of willy-nilly tosses shit on the floor.

OBias

Wait, you can specifically put items into a safe? I thought all you could do was hit "discard", or whatever R3 does in the inventory, and my character just kind of willy-nilly tosses shit on the floor.

Yes, you can. Put items the same way you do with the recycler. Just in case, I mean the smaller safe in the wall, not the bigger one where you find the preorder's golden shotgun.

Yes, you can. Put items the same way you do with the recycler. Just in case, I mean the smaller safe in the wall, not the bigger one where you find the preorder's golden shotgun.

Those spoilers! But thank you though anyway, will do that. I get very...weird...when inventories get crowded as hell.

munroe

1) No
2) No,

Edit: Looks like you can do the second one. You could
also, just leave things on the floor. They don't disappear. I generally just leave things in the office.

Actually number 1 is technically a yes, yes there is a use for that contraption, alternate story related

I fail to see why what I said is spoilers.

Actually, I have no idea why but I read "preorder's golden shotgun" as a spoiler for a character name's gun!? No idea why I read "preorder" as some type of character name. Nevermind, sorry about that.

Actually number 1 is technically a yes, yes there is a use for that contraption, alternate story related

I see, well, I'll discover it eventually. I was hoping it was something cool like being able to drag a corpse over there, place it in the chair and get a neuromod as a reward essentially.

Djostikk

And it's official; I'm done with Bethesda games completely. Arkane games were the exception, not anymore.
Glad to see the console gamers in here are finally having a good time with Prey. Me? I'm just sitting here wishing I could play this game in my living room, using the DS4 control scheme I spent an hour this week putting together.

but I can't. because patch 1.05 removed native controller support on PC. WTF, Arkane? Can't I just enjoy one of your games without -constant- -fucking- -issues-?

I guess the answer to that is a resolute NOPE, and so, that's now my answer to the question of whether or not I'll buy an Arkane game again.
This gen is becoming a real bummer for me.

Don't do this.

Paragon

And it's official; I'm done with Bethesda games completely. Arkane games were the exception, not anymore.
Glad to see the console gamers in here are finally having a good time with Prey. Me? I'm just sitting here wishing I could play this game in my living room, using the DS4 control scheme I spent an hour this week putting together.

but I can't. because patch 1.05 removed native controller support on PC. WTF, Arkane? Can't I just enjoy one of your games without -constant- -fucking- -issues-?

I guess the answer to that is a resolute NOPE, and so, that's now my answer to the question of whether or not I'll buy an Arkane game again.
This gen is becoming a real bummer for me.
It seems like they may have replaced XInput support with Steam Input support.
I just started the game up with my DS4 connected and it loaded a default profile for the controller, with DS4 glyphs displayed in-game.
If I disconnect the DS4 and connect my Steam Controller, the glyphs change over automatically. Same thing if I start using keyboard & mouse. It seems like a pretty good implementation.

Considering that their previous games have poor support for mixed inputs, and that Steam Input is far more advanced than DS4Windows translating to XInput, or "native" DirectInput support for the few games that have it, I don't consider a move to Steam Input to be a bad thing at all.

It seems like they may have replaced XInput support with Steam Input support.
I just started the game up with my DS4 connected and it loaded a default profile for the controller, with DS4 glyphs displayed in-game.
If I disconnect the DS4 and connect my Steam Controller, the glyphs change over automatically. Same thing if I start using keyboard & mouse. It seems like a pretty good implementation.

Considering that their previous games have poor support for mixed inputs, and that Steam Input is far more advanced than DS4Windows translating to XInput, or "native" DirectInput support for the few games that have it, I don't consider a move to Steam Input to be a bad thing at all.

In 1.04, there was an option in the control settings menu that allowed you to 'enable' or 'disable' Steam Controller. If it was enabled, everything would default to Steam Controller. If disabled, you could use xinput, instead.

In 1.05, the option to disable Steam Controller is just gone. You can't use xinput at all anymore. You can't mix inputs at all anymore. The only thing you can do is play with keyboard and mouse, use Steam Controller to spoof keyboard and mouse with inbuilt support, or spoof keyboard and mouse yourself, arduously, by configuring another controller.

When you started the game up with your DS4 connected... did you try to play the game? When my DS4 suddenly 'started to work again' the config was literally Steam Controller profile mapped to my DS4 (to the point where my analog sticks were configured as though they were the SC's haptic pads) and it barely worked. Stuttery camera control, swapped buttons, the whole nine yards. Configuring the controller to work as an xinput device (left joystick, right joystick, triggers, that sort of thing) doesn't work anymore at all. I could fix it. If I felt like spending another hour configging spoofed mouse controls on an analog stick until I end up with something that feels good to me. Something I'd be a little more willing to do if the game didn't support xinput just fine three days ago. Now considering that I was taking advantage of mixed inputs on 1.04 to use perfectly pre-tuned xinput controls alongside mouselook gyro, even the best Steam Config setup I could muster would be genuinely inferior to what I had going before.

they didn't replace xinput with steam controller support, both were already there in 1.04 to begin with. they just inexplicably, hopefully accidentally removed native controller support. And it's like, I can understand that game development isn't always easy or simple, and that things get fucked up every now and then, but there's a particular few games which tested my patience on PC this generation, and Arkane's games are the most notable examples to me - games I know I would have loved if I could have made it to the end without frustration.
Don't do this.

image.php

lol

Paragon

In 1.04, there was an option in the control settings menu that allowed you to 'enable' or 'disable' Steam Controller. If it was enabled, everything would default to Steam Controller. If disabled, you could use xinput, instead.
I had only tried using a controller with it at launch (felt like it was built for M&KB to me) and I don't recall it supporting "Steam Input" with support for other controllers beside the Steam Controller (automatically displaying DS4 glyphs etc.) though I could be mistaken.
However, having the "Steam Controller" option enabled in 1.04 does basically seem to work the same as 1.05. There was nothing immediately noticeable anyway.

In 1.05, the option to disable Steam Controller is just gone. You can't use xinput at all anymore. You can't mix inputs at all anymore. The only thing you can do is play with keyboard and mouse, use Steam Controller to spoof keyboard and mouse with inbuilt support, or spoof keyboard and mouse yourself, arduously, by configuring another controller.

When you started the game up with your DS4 connected... did you try to play the game? When my DS4 suddenly 'started to work again' the config was literally Steam Controller profile mapped to my DS4 (to the point where my analog sticks were configured as though they were the SC's haptic pads) and it barely worked. Stuttery camera control, swapped buttons, the whole nine yards. Configuring the controller to work as an xinput device (left joystick, right joystick, triggers, that sort of thing) doesn't work anymore at all. I could fix it. If I felt like spending another hour configging spoofed mouse controls on an analog stick until I end up with something that feels good to me. Something I'd be a little more willing to do if the game didn't support xinput just fine three days ago. Now considering that I was taking advantage of mixed inputs on 1.04 to use perfectly pre-tuned xinput controls alongside mouselook gyro, even the best Steam Config setup I could muster would be genuinely inferior to what I had going before.
That sounds like you're trying to bind legacy keys, not actions.
The configuration options should look like this:
I don't remember these options being there before though - perhaps they arrived with the 1.05 update.
I agree that aiming using the DS4's analog stick with Steam Input seems somewhat less smooth than XInput though. It seems to be emulating a mouse, and that stutters a little at slow speeds.
Turning up the controller sensitivity to the maximum and the mouse sensitivity in-game right down helped a lot though.

I wanted to record a video comparison, but the video itself seemed to stutter. Just seems to happen for me when recording some games with MSI Afterburner, so I abandoned the idea.
However I noticed that using the option in Steam to reduce the sensitivity of XInput because the game didn't let me set sensitivity low enough also caused it to stutter.

they didn't replace xinput with steam controller support, both were already there in 1.04 to begin with. they just inexplicably, hopefully accidentally removed native controller support. And it's like, I can understand that game development isn't always easy or simple, and that things get fucked up every now and then, but there's a particular few games which tested my patience on PC this generation, and Arkane's games are the most notable examples to me - games I know I would have loved if I could have made it to the end without frustration.
As I said before, I thought they had moved from a partial to a full Steam Input implementation, but I'm not seeing anything different between 1.04 and 1.05 - though it may be that they only added full configuration support for Steam Input with the release of 1.05 and they thought it was good enough to replace XInput.
Or maybe it was unintended. Without comment from Arkane, who can say.

It's easy enough to downgrade to 1.04 if you think it necessary:
  1. Open the Steam Console
  2. Enter the following command and wait for the download (786MB) to finish:
    Code:
    download_depot 480490 480491 6221450602150086043 2225189491471759980
  3. Copy the files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\content\app_480490\depot_480491 into the game directory and overwrite the existing files.
  4. If you want to revert to the current version, switch the manifest IDs:
    Code:
    download_depot 480490 480491 2225189491471759980 6221450602150086043

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if anyone knows how to get the damn science operator into the damn morgue I'll never forget you and will reward you in this life and every subsequence one.

edit: it sucks that this is my first post ITT. This game is otherwise, like, one of the best immersive FPS I've played in ages. So many smart decisions that respect the person playing.

i just want to point out that this is where I stopped playing the game.

i was loving it. loving it

and this somehow broke everything for me. :(

if anyone knows how to get the damn science operator into the damn morgue I'll never forget you and will reward you in this life and every subsequence one.

edit: it sucks that this is my first post ITT. This game is otherwise, like, one of the best immersive FPS I've played in ages. So many smart decisions that respect the person playing.

I had a problem with that operator never going in there too, but there are a couple other ways.

I just used the Huntress Boltcaster and shot at the door lock button that you can see through the window.

Sorry that it caused to you stop the game, though. If you ever feel the need to give it another chance, there you go! I had a really great time with the game.

I'm starting to realize, and utilize, some really slick environmental "combos" against Phantoms and it feels great to actually use creativity in engaging these things right now.

I spied on one a floor below me yesterday and ended up setting up a turret right around the corner of the top of the stairs where I was standing. First I lured it towards the bottom of the stairs, which had a fire standpipe near it, by throwing a coffee mug at it. It came running towards the stand pipe, which I hit with a 9mm bullet to set the thing on fire. Then I sprinted up the stairs and hid behind a table gleefully watching it angrily run straight into the turret's machine gun fire which finished it off without taking a hit.

Big fan of things actually working logically in games.

I had only tried using a controller with it at launch (felt like it was built for M&KB to me) and I don't recall it supporting "Steam Input" with support for other controllers beside the Steam Controller (automatically displaying DS4 glyphs etc.) though I could be mistaken.
However, having the "Steam Controller" option enabled in 1.04 does basically seem to work the same as 1.05. There was nothing immediately noticeable anyway.

That sounds like you're trying to bind legacy keys, not actions.
The configuration options should look like this:

I don't remember these options being there before though - perhaps they arrived with the 1.05 update.
I agree that aiming using the DS4's analog stick with Steam Input seems somewhat less smooth than XInput though. It seems to be emulating a mouse, and that stutters a little at slow speeds.
Turning up the controller sensitivity to the maximum and the mouse sensitivity in-game right down helped a lot though.

I wanted to record a video comparison, but the video itself seemed to stutter. Just seems to happen for me when recording some games with MSI Afterburner, so I abandoned the idea.
However I noticed that using the option in Steam to reduce the sensitivity of XInput because the game didn't let me set sensitivity low enough also caused it to stutter.

As I said before, I thought they had moved from a partial to a full Steam Input implementation, but I'm not seeing anything different between 1.04 and 1.05 - though it may be that they only added full configuration support for Steam Input with the release of 1.05 and they thought it was good enough to replace XInput.
Or maybe it was unintended. Without comment from Arkane, who can say.

It's easy enough to downgrade to 1.04 if you think it necessary:
  1. Open the Steam Console
  2. Enter the following command and wait for the download (786MB) to finish:
    Code:
    download_depot 480490 480491 6221450602150086043 2225189491471759980
  3. Copy the files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\content\app_480490\depot_480491 into the game directory and overwrite the existing files.
  4. If you want to revert to the current version, switch the manifest IDs:
    Code:
    download_depot 480490 480491 2225189491471759980 6221450602150086043

Wow, thanks for the info. I'll try to roll back the game. I looked everywhere for that info only to be told that rolling back on Steam wasn't possible :3

edit: no seriously that's the single most useful thing pertaining to Steam that anyone has ever showed me. Can't tell you how many times knowing how to do that would have came in handy.

Man, you guys weren't kidding about these load times on PS4...jesus.

Funniest part is when the excruciatingly long loading screen is over, then the small "PRESS X" icon in the bottom loads for another 15-20 seconds.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man, you guys weren't kidding about these load times on PS4...jesus.

Funniest part is when the excruciatingly long loading screen is over, then the small "PRESS X" icon in the bottom loads for another 15-20 seconds.

Probably my biggest pet peeve with this game - a loading screen after a loading screen.

Every.single.time.

Terrible.

Probably my biggest pet peeve with this game - a loading screen after a loading screen.

Every.single.time.

Terrible.

It seriously feels the equivalent of missing a gear shifting in a car when that second fucking loading screen pops up. You're ready to go after the nailbitingly long first screen and...nothing.

It seriously feels the equivalent of missing a gear shifting in a car when that second fucking loading screen pops up. You're ready to go after the nailbitingly long first screen and...nothing.

Wait until late game. You will be seeing that loading screen a ton of times. Sometimes back to back.

Rolling back Prey fixed 360 controller support but broke my ability to make Steam/DS4 control configs. So I'm back to waiting for a patch. Someone on the Steam forums said that the QA branch of the game was updated yesterday (of course that somebody isn't someone from Arkane or Bethesda because they're too busy maintaining that radio fuckin' silence), so it'll probably come soon

jb1234

Decided I wanted to start Prey. My DS4 isn't working properly on it, behaving really, really strangely. So I guess I'll be waiting a bit longer. Seems to be a very common issue, looking at the forums.

Ladekabel

I'm 4 and a half hours in and the game got a tad easier. Is there one point where I'll be overpowered and blow the enemies away or will it always be a fight for survival?

Really liking the game so far. Might end up in my Top 3 this year but definitly Top 5.

Machina

Banned
I'm about 11 hours in and I'm really enjoying this so far. The obvious inspiration from SS/Bioshock is helping in a big way. I'm actually struggling a bit at the moment because of lack of ammo and seemingly finding it tough to find materials to produce more. I'm having to abuse Psi powers in certain situations in order to keep going.

I'm about 11 hours in and I'm really enjoying this so far. The obvious inspiration from SS/Bioshock is helping in a big way. I'm actually struggling a bit at the moment because of lack of ammo and seemingly finding it tough to find materials to produce more. I'm having to abuse Psi powers in certain situations in order to keep going.

I'm clocking around the same time right now and I've been really conservative with ammo, often setting up 'traps' with environmental damage instead and finishing off with guns to conserve. I have Leverage II and throwing bulky/heavy items actually deals pretty heavy damage even to Phantoms.

I also heavily rely on turrets and tend to lure enemies into ambushes with a turret mounted at an angle outside of a doorway so they can't spot it from a distance and blast it before hand.

EDIT: Another "tip" or whatever...if I'm spotted, I rarely engage right off the bat and usually retreat if possible to try and get an attack or two in from a stealth position which gives you a damage boost.

Sande

Decided I wanted to start Prey. My DS4 isn't working properly on it, behaving really, really strangely. So I guess I'll be waiting a bit longer. Seems to be a very common issue, looking at the forums.
Is it a slight drift with aiming and/or movement or something more drastic? Prey seems to have little to no dead zones for sticks so it can be pretty rough on older controllers.

Ricker

Why is this game so hard...I was enjoying it at first but now theres like Phantoms everywhere,its a very confusing ship to navigate through,the sidequests are all over the place...started scanning stuff,that helps a bit but the controls are a little complicated on the PS4...you got EMP and other items that you have to scroll to get to with the triangle,not sure what works with what...doesnt the Gloo cannon work on the Phantoms...? its very hard to see if its stuck on them, do the named ones stay dead at least once you kill them..?...there's some room with 2 or 3 of them...so I put some points in stealth(neuromods) but it doesnt always work very well.

Also this is on me but I am not crazy about the outside gravity stuff...trying to get to G.U.T.S,I reach the door,no keycard with a note a little before telling me someone back who knows where as it...

I think this game is not for me...

Nabs

You have to use your DS4 through Steam by enabling Steam Controller support. Then you want to load up their recommended config and edit that to your liking. If you want to change sensitivity, you'll have to click on the right stick in the config, then hit the start button to open up all the options.

Ricker

Ok going better now that I decided to stop sneaking so much...I mean if I see one of those Phantoms moving aound,I wait a bit,most of the time they will just stand still in a corner or something,then I sneak behind,either get a shotgun shot or one of the blast that knocks them down and follow with another shotgun...kills them faster...just need to find that stupid passcode for G.U.T.S. now,which should open up some sidequests as well.

Investing in the stealth bonus damage tree helps a good deal. Upgrading your guns is essential too if you're not planning on using Typhon powers. The Gloo Gun is viable through the whole game if you keep it upgraded. The pistol/gold pistol is a lot stronger than you would think.

SJRB

Gold Member
Ok going better now that I decided to stop sneaking so much...I mean if I see one of those Phantoms moving aound,I wait a bit,most of the time they will just stand still in a corner or something,then I sneak behind,either get a shotgun shot or one of the blast that knocks them down and follow with another shotgun...kills them faster...just need to find that stupid passcode for G.U.T.S. now,which should open up some sidequests as well.

Once you unlock the Psychoshock ability and upgrade your weapons , the game becomes drastically easier .

The earlier parts are way harder because you have less firepower and abilities .

eizarus

Banned
Just started playing it. I'm at the start after
you find out that everything's a lie and need to get to the lobby. Got the sidequest for finding Bellamy's body
and I have to say that I hate horror games, but damn this game gives me too many Life vibes. The use of sound is perfect in this.

Zakalwe

Banned
Played the demo and hated it. The performance issues made playing it feel cumbersome and the game just seemed dull.

Saw it in cex for £22 and had trade in, read it had been updated decently, and now I'm pretty much hooked.

So far this is the best immersive sim I've played, ever. To be clear though, I've never played the classics (System shock 2, Deus Ex 1), The first I remember playing was DE:IW... but there may have been a few before that.

Anyway, this is looking like another GOTY contender already. This year has been incredible so far.

Ricker

So I am stuck...no clue where to go in G.U.T.S,the first time I went through I could of sworn I saw an opening on a side but I cant find it anymore...I get to the end and there is a door that wont open...I roll around and all,nothing,cant reach the Arboretum.

EDIT: nm,found it, floating dead guy I hadnt seen,like I said not crazy for the gravity stuff but at least its not on a timer.

d00d3n

Regarding the Nightmare enemy, is it true that the version of it that automatically hunts you only spawns when you install neuromods and when you enter a new area? In other words, if you don't get the "nightmare is hunting you" prompt as you enter an area, you are safe until you leave, until you carelessly install neuromods or until you anger a passive nightmare enemy (such as the one waiting in the lobby after going down the elevator, or the one in the beginning of the crew quarters)?

Aurongel

Nightmare is a cool concept but he just bum rushed me in the Arboretum and I had to cheese the encounter because there was nowhere to hide. He homes right in on you too, I hid behind a bush and he just ran across the map right up to me and spotted me through a solid object.

Cool concept but the execution seems meh.

jtb

Banned
I knew I would love this game and I do (and feel bad for waiting as long as I did to buy it).

Way better than the BioShock games and the structure is far more appealing than the more level-based Dishonored games.

Combat is too floaty (particularly compared to how fluid DH movement/stealth/killing/etc is) but other than that, it's great

Aurongel

I knew I would love this game and I do (and feel bad for waiting as long as I did to buy it).

Way better than the BioShock games and the structure is far more appealing than the more level-based Dishonored games.

Combat is too floaty (particularly compared to how fluid DH movement/stealth/killing/etc is) but other than that, it's great
Bioshock's narrative had a more compelling throughline, especially with a lot of the Ayn Rand exceptionalism stuff. But Prey is phenomenally superior in every other way, I'm actually surprised this isn't a front runner for GOTY with more people, a lot of journalists kinda fell off from it.

Played the demo and hated it...

Anyway, this is looking like another GOTY contender already. This year has been incredible so far.

Goddamn. I better get up on this. I figure I may as well wait for a sale now, but can't wait to get going now that performance is fixed.

jamsy

GAF, how scary is this game?

From the little footage I've seen it appears that anything can jump at you from anywhere, which doesn't seem like something I'd enjoy.

From the little footage I've seen it appears that anything can jump at you from anywhere, which doesn't seem like something I'd enjoy.

The mimic has often made me jump. And the game has a pretty tense atmosphere...but that may mostly come from the fact that I've been playing with headphones.

I absolutely do not regret waiting for this game until patch 1.05 that fixes the framerate pacing. This game is an absolute blast and a steal at €25,00,-

The atmosphere is incredible. It definitely feels like Bioshock in space but I find the gameplay much more interesting to say the least. I am not that far into the game (2 hours max.), but this can be another GOTY contender for me.

daviyoung

Banned

Its not that much scarier than Half Life 2, for example, but if you didn't enjoy the black headcrabs then stay away from Prey.

Top Bottom