• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Im still early on in the game and decided to check out the Trauma Centre for the side objective.

Theres 2 shadows walking around which kill me in 1 hit. Am I supposed to come back later to kill them? Also, one of them has a name, does that mean anything?

Edit: Went back with the shotgun and wrecked them both.

Im still early on in the game and decided to check out the Trauma Centre for the side objective.

Theres 2 shadows walking around which kill me in 1 hit. Am I supposed to come back later to kill them? Also, one of them has a name, does that mean anything?

You can beat them earlier on, it can be difficult but manageable. I don't think I used the shot gun on them. As for the names,
its the name of the person that became the phantom.

FiveSide

Banned
Just finished! What a game, really feels like a classic PC immersive sim retrofitted with modern game design and presentation. Loved the ending too. I can see how it might rub some people the wrong way, but I thought it was pretty thought-provoking.

I didn't mind the last few sections with
Dahl and the military operators
. A lot of people seem to have run through that part to get it over with, but I think that might've been the point. The setup was supposed to give you a sense of urgency and focus, rather than the meticulous exploration from earlier in the game. It was a nice change of pace, though the combat against the operators could use some work.

They can be taken out early on, definitely.

Sneak around and examine the environment. There are a ton of pipes that can be popped with the pistol, including a green one that will cause massive damage on them. There are many explosive tanks you can hurl at them and so forth.

What I did was I carried up the two turrets from the lobby and position one on each "entrance" area from the Trauma Center reception desk area. Then I grabbed an explosive canister and snuck close enough to hurl one at them. Sprinted back behind the turrets which they eventually smashed I think. After that I finished them off with whatever weapon I had at the time after GLOO-ing them I believe.

Either way, simply shooting things is always a waste of ammo. I always try to use these types of combinations, which turns most encounters into more of a puzzle and is a ton of fun.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Yeah, for
regular
phantoms the one-two punch of bukkake-ing them with the GLOO gun then robusting them with the wrench does the trick.

Just got to the bit with
Dahl and the military operators. Used up most of my disruptor ammo, those things are a pain to shoot at by virtue of their really thin shape.

Yeah, for
regular
phantoms the one-two punch of bukkake-ing them with the GLOO gun then robusting them with the wrench does the trick.

Just got to the bit with
Dahl and the military operators. Used up most of my disruptor ammo, those things are a pain to shoot at by virtue of their really thin shape.

Missing a shot with the stun gun feels so utterly terrible haha. To add insult to injury, you always get fucking blasted right after.

CHC

Just finished! What a game, really feels like a classic PC immersive sim retrofitted with modern game design and presentation. Loved the ending too. I can see how it might rub some people the wrong way, but I thought it was pretty thought-provoking.

I didn't mind the last few sections with
Dahl and the military operators
. A lot of people seem to have run through that part to get it over with, but I think that might've been the point. The setup was supposed to give you a sense of urgency and focus, rather than the meticulous exploration from earlier in the game. It was a nice change of pace, though the combat against the operators could use some work.

Definitely in agreement. Two things I liked about the ending:

With regards to gameplay:
the endless flood of military bots and the invasion of coral makes things almost like a speed run / memory challenge. Since the rest of the game is paced so slowly and meticulously it's a cool twist that serves as sort of a "final exam" for how well you've learned your way around.

With regards to the story:
it's pretty clever that the "it was all a dream" ending trope actually makes things have MORE consequence here, rather than rendering them meaningless. Since you've unknowingly been the emissary for human / Typhon relations.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
How is the performance on the PRO? Should i jump in or wait for One X version?

It runs great now after the latest patch. Controls real smooth, framerate is consistent and image quality is great.

Im still in awe at the intro.
The moment I shattered the glass into Yu's bedroom it shattered everything I knew with my brief time with the game.

haveheart

Banned
It runs great now after the latest patch. Controls real smooth, framerate is consistent and image quality is great.

Im still in awe at the intro. The moment I shattered the glass into Yu's bedroom it shattered everything I knew with my brief time with the game.

Spoiler tag might be appropriate. Lots of folks are just getting into the game now.

Bronetta

Spoiler tag might be appropriate. Lots of folks are just getting into the game now.

I figured I was vague enough but I'll go ahead and spoiler it.

Sotha_Sil

Definitely in agreement. Two things I liked about the ending:

With regards to gameplay:
the endless flood of military bots and the invasion of coral makes things almost like a speed run / memory challenge. Since the rest of the game is paced so slowly and meticulously it's a cool twist that serves as sort of a "final exam" for how well you've learned your way around.

With regards to the story:
it's pretty clever that the "it was all a dream" ending trope actually makes things have MORE consequence here, rather than rendering them meaningless. Since you've unknowingly been the emissary for human / Typhon relations.

YES. That is exactly how I felt about the story.
I also liked how the game didn't naturally push you into making the "good" decisions, or at least blatantly so. They kept things mysterious enough that you really have to make several judgement calls based off only partially complete information, and it turns into something of an introspective on the you the player as a person lol. I did kill Igwe by accident when I got his distress call and felt compelled to carry on with the game and accept the consequences of my actions.

This is still my GOTY unless Dishonored DotO can supplant it. I expect Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein to be great as well, but Prey resonated with me the way no other game this generation has.

Dueck

Banned
I think this was an instance where a familiar name actually hurt an otherwise strong product. Most of us can agree that Prey 2 looked amazing, but the inability of some to get over that didn't do it any favours, which is really too bad. I thought Prey (2017) rivalled the first BioShock and Half-Life games, honestly. "Engaging and mysterious" is how I'd sum it up briefly.

The surprise was slightly predictable, but it's the insecurity I felt in my theories that kept me guessing and pressing forward for confirmation or denial of them. I love it when a game is about both the destination and the journey, as that's not a common thing these days. I went in fearful of the purchase because I loathed the original game mostly due to its protagonist, Captain Tommy Whiner of the Boohoo Brigade, but a different developer and a lot of time motivated me to risk it with this entry.

My only real criticism of the new Prey was its combat. I found it very unpolished-feeling, for lack of a better (hyphenated) word. I haven't played it since launch week, so maybe that's no longer an issue anyway. Overall though, I think this deserves a direct sequel. It was a good reboot.

Bronetta

Man it took me way too long to figure out where to go after getting the thrusters. Took me a good hour to figure out how to open the airlock. I almost even resorted to looking at a walkthrough until I stumbled into the airlock terminal.

Progress!

When is the earliest you can access the Neuromod Division? I know I'm supposed to go there to remove the copy protection or whatever from neuromod fabrication, but I figured the that something would just take me along that route at some point. However, I am now in the Power Plant and I have assloads of exotic material. But at this point the station is in lockdown so I can't go back to check it out. I am just curious at what point I was supposed to adventure that way and check it out.

dex3108

I am completely lost in Prey and i love that :D I really, really love this game.

36983268346_797af6696d_o.png
36336222914_dbdd06c636_o.png
36983346846_a6a94559e3_o.png
37001199732_046da98a54_o.png
36641789896_a5a8177a85_o.png
37001138862_9c9f83fc9f_o.png

Ushay

I am completely lost in Prey and i love that :D I really, really love this game.

Those screens make me hope for an update to the One X version, so I can enjoy a second playthrough. It really was a joy to explore the station with its system shock vibes.

When is the earliest you can access the Neuromod Division? I know I'm supposed to go there to remove the copy protection or whatever from neuromod fabrication, but I figured the that something would just take me along that route at some point. However, I am now in the Power Plant and I have assloads of exotic material. But at this point the station is in lockdown so I can't go back to check it out. I am just curious at what point I was supposed to adventure that way and check it out.

It's Optional.

It's Optional.

Yeah I get that impression. I'm just curious when the earliest I could have gone to that area. Right now I am in the Power Plant and
the station is in lockdown due to Alex's machinations so
I can't get back there at present (though maybe later, I imagine). I get the impression I could have gone at some point earlier, I am just wondering at what point the area initially becomes available.

dex3108

Those screens make me hope for an update to the One X version, so I can enjoy a second playthrough. It really was a joy to explore the station with its system shock vibes.

Well game won't look that good I am afraid, those are screens that i took with supersampling factor 3 and base resolution was 1440p (if I am doing this right that is 7680 x 4320) and then downsampled them to 1080p. I wish that game looks like that in real-time but AA solution in game is awful. But still exploring and levels are second to none. Arkane is best studio for that.

Sande

Yeah I get that impression. I'm just curious when the earliest I could have gone to that area. Right now I am in the Power Plant and
the station is in lockdown due to Alex's machinations so
I can't get back there at present (though maybe later, I imagine). I get the impression I could have gone at some point earlier, I am just wondering at what point the area initially becomes available.
I'm not sure when exactly you get the option unblock neuromod fabrication (right away iirc), but Neuromod Division is the first area of the game.

derFeef

It's pretty baffling that it wasn't shipped with all these options in the first place. Dishonored, as far as I recall, had one billion HUD options and choices in general.

Yeah, I mean it's the same developer even (even if another team).
I tried the custom HUD mod from Nexus but sadly it's not working for me :(

Yeah, I mean it's the same developer even (even if another team).
I tried the custom HUD mod from Nexus but sadly it's not working for me :(

On PS4 at least the only option is to deactivate your missions immediately, which I always do. It's still annoying that it always pops up for at least a few seconds to show you where to go haha. No HUD options at all however which should be essential to an Options menu at this point.

How long did this take on average to beat?

Trying to decide whether to play this or the new Dishonored next, but want something relatively tight.

dex3108

Almost 14 hours later i am absolutely in love. Arkane made roaming the empty station amazing with great atmosphere, great world building, interesting quests (for the love of god they managed to put
treasure hunt
quest in game and it made sense :D). Level design is great (i mean what else to expect from Arkane they are kings of level design these days) but there is one thing that i am not fan of. You don't have way to access all rooms in few different ways (i know that it would be tons of work but still).

All in all this is GOTY for me, i don't think that anything will surpass this for me.

Minamu

I started playing yesterday but had to stop about 2 hours in. I took my sweet time :lol I haven't even reached my own office room to look at some video. I ran into a burning phantom and a regular one a died a few times; got a bit frustrated :/

Didn't this game get a new pro patch recently? I'm not seeing any options.

dosh

Trying to decide whether to play this or the new Dishonored next, but want something relatively tight.

I picked both recently and decided to go with Prey first. I'm 40h in, and probably in the last fifth of the game.

You can probably finish it faster than me, because I really took my sweet time exploring the station, doing side-quests and basically having fun with all the powers and weapons (by which I mean I've cosplayed as a coffee mug for hours on end and built several dozens goo gun stairs all around Talos), but I wouldn't say it's really tight.

I remember reading reviews and forum posts stating this was a 15h game though. I don't really see how that's possible given how the game encourages you to experiment and explore, but I guess you can probably blast through the main story and call it a day. It just doesn't feel like it was built for that. It's incredibly reminiscent of System Shock.

phant0m

Took me 18-20 hours. Absolutely loved every second. FWIW, Dishonored 2 didn't hook me, I only beat the first 2 "missions".

Canadian

I've downloaded the free trial and loved it. I really enjoyed exploring the abandoned space station. It definitely feels like Bioshock in space. I want to pick up a copy soon and continue playing, I really do enjoy a game I can immerse myself in and explore.

d9b

Banned
Only 5hrs in. Slowly upgrading stuff and sneaking around... using gloo gun first then shotgun... feels good!
Loving the game so far.
(Playing on PS4 Pro, by the way)

danowat

Banned
Only 5hrs in. Slowly upgrading stuff and sneaking around... using gloo gun first then shotgun... feels good!
Loving the game so far.
(Playing on PS4 Pro, by the way)

I'm pretty much in the same place, I've just had my first trip outside the station, wow, loved that bit.

Really enjoying it, much more than I thought I would, not sure why, but I really loved the way the recycler chucks out mats, it's strangely addictive!.

Only thing I am not 100% pleased about is the reappearing enemies when returning to an (some?) area, I get that it's a design decision, but I still would have preferred the possibility to be able to properly clear an area.

Ricker

Took me 40 hours but I got lost a lot and stayed in cover or hidden way too long in some area's with the thougher Phantoms deciding what to do lol...

derFeef

This game is simply great, I like everything about it so far.
I think I ventured too far ahead though - following the main storyline a bit too much - it's really tough right now but I don't feel like to backtrack and see no option to quickly head back to the beginning areas.

Bronetta

Prey is a solid 20+ hour experience.

Dishonored Death of the Outsider is much shorter and takes around 10 hours.

I was 10 hours into Prey and anywhere even close to done when Dishonored came out. I decided to go through that instead and at 6 hours Im halfway done the game already. If you want the shorter game its gotta be Dishonored DotO. They're both phenomenal games so don't sleep on either.

Bronetta

I'm pretty much in the same place, I've just had my first trip outside the station, wow, loved that bit.

Really enjoying it, much more than I thought I would, not sure why, but I really loved the way the recycler chucks out mats, it's strangely addictive!.

Only thing I am not 100% pleased about is the reappearing enemies when returning to an (some?) area, I get that it's a design decision, but I still would have preferred the possibility to be able to properly clear an area.

Its not even reappearing enemies but what does reappear are powerful Phantoms. I decided to revisit Hardware Labs just to pick up any collectibles I might have missed and had to nope out of there because the new phantoms ripped me apart.

Prey loses its momentum after about 10-15 hours though. Up until that point, it's a phenomenal game. The high-level mechanics are easily its weakest point, so it runs out of things to do and elements to surprise with.

But it's easily worth your time and money for the first fifteen hours

Ushay

I think I ventured too far ahead though - following the main storyline a bit too much - it's really tough right now but I don't feel like to backtrack and see no option to quickly head back to the beginning areas.

I think that's one of the strong points of this game, you can go literally anywhere at your own speed.

Taking the time to explore and read everything can pay off in its own way.

Ricker

Small Spoiler that might help,just in case, but you probably know this and its easier said then done but
Dont forget to unlock those shuttle doors...

derFeef

Small Spoiler that might help,just in case, but you probably know this and its easier said then done but
Dont forget to unlock those shuttle doors...

Oh yeah I was thinking about it the whole time, but I did not find any, or maybe I overlooked them. Anyway, this game is slowly but surely climbing to the top of my GOTY list.
BUT the PC version is riddled with some annoying bugs like HUD and keymapping issues :-(

dex3108

Game really is something special for me at least. You have so much freedom to do things at your own pace. Want to look for crew go ahead, want to do side missions go and do them. There is no rush to do anything. And there is no disconnection with the story by doing that. You need to find out what happened with station but there is no some magical timer or urgency to do anything. And that is really rare these days.

danowat

Banned
Its not even reappearing enemies but what does reappear are powerful Phantoms. I decided to revisit Hardware Labs just to pick up any collectibles I might have missed and had to nope out of there because the new phantoms ripped me apart.

Yup, this is really killing the exploration for me, considering dropping it down to easy......

Yup, this is really killing the exploration for me, considering dropping it down to easy......

On my first run I killed all of the mimics and regular phantoms, and just ran past or hid from everything else. I didn't fight most of the enemies until later in the game when I had tons of upgrades.

Top Bottom