• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) - Preview Thread: New videos and impressions

ezekial45

Banned
prey-logo.jpg

Developer: Arkane Studios Austin
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Platforms: XBO, PS4, PC
Release: May 5, 2017

Music: Mick Gordon

The press embargo just ended, so expect to see some new impressions and videos pop up. I'll be updating the OP to add the new articles and videos.

lIfX4uC.gif

F.A.Q.

Q: What is this game?
A: It's called Prey, a new action/RPG game set in space station with aliens called Mimics running amok. Also, the main character may be a bit screwed up in the head.

Q: Is this a reboot? Or is it one of those soft-reboots that's still got some loose connections to the original?
A: It's a complete reboot, not connected in any way to the original games. It is completely stand alone.

Q: Is it anything like the first game?
A: Not really. New settings, characters, new storyline, and the overall structure of the game is vastly different. Focusing more on exploration and uncovering the mysteries of the game, as opposed to the mission based run and game nature of the original.

Q: What happened to Prey 2? I liked the trailers they put out.
A: It got cancelled back in 2014. You'll never play it.

Q: Who's making this game? And why does it look like Space Dishonored?
A: It is coming from Arkane Studios Austin, a new branch from the original Arkane Studios. The creative director on this game was the Co-Director for the original Dishonored, and they're carrying over a lot of talent and design issues

Q: What's up with the black spider monsters?
A: They're called Mimics, and they can take the form of any mundane object they come across. One moment you'll walk past a coffee cup on the ground, the next a Mimic will spring from it to attack you.

Q: So it is more like System Shock or Bioshock.
A: It's got a grid inventory, skill trees, crafting, and a metroidvania-esque structure, so definitely more the former than the latter.

Q: Anyone I may know that's doing work on the game?
A: Raphaël Colantonio is directing (Dishonored 1), Mick Gordon is doing the music, and Chris Avellone co-wrote the story.

wgPUxUH.gif

Videos:
Opening Hour Gameplay
Neuromod Skill Tree
Gamespot Impressions
Alternate One Hour Playthrough
Interview with Ricardo Bare from I Eat Games
Hacking mini-game

7rU8ODx.gif

Articles:

VG247 - Less surreal, more cyberpunk – but Prey's first hour will get inside your head

RPS - hands-on with Arkane's shapeshifting shooter
I simultaneously feel as though I know exactly what Prey is and that I'm still in the dark about its true nature. Keycodes and goobeasts vs a pile of ambitious do-it-yourself features and a world I can't trust. There's a lot going on here, many intriguing questions posed and its essential exploration+combat balance feels good in the hand, but I'm still waiting to see precisely which shape Prey ultimately takes.

IGN - FIRST HANDS-ON IMPRESSIONS: A SYSTEM SHOCK OF THE BEST KIND

In fact, Prey's first hour hints at the large, open Metroidvania-style spaces that will slowly become more accessible as you find passcodes, improve your hacking skill, and discover alternative routes to reach new places that you couldn't before. I collected several Neuromods in my hands-on time, which I spent on hacking upgrades and strength (though, sadly, I ran out of time in the demo before getting a chance to murder a Mimic with a tossed chair). The System Shock 2 comparisons – which I make in the most enthusiastic way possible, by the way – really feel apt once you start diving into the skill trees. And that's just the human skills. Prey lead designer Ricardo Bare said that the alien skills – yes, like being able to transform into a coffee mug – add even more emergent gameplay possibilities to Prey's campaign, which he estimates will last between 16-20 hours with plenty of replay value thanks to multiple endings and alternative playstyles and skill choices. ”This is very much an Arkane game," Bare said, ”so please feel free to experiment [and] try different powers out."

Game Revolution - Prey 2 Bends the Mind and Captivates the Soul

I'm very impressed with how Prey (2017) is turning out. While I can't deny that it sucks that we'll never get to play the intended follow up to the first game, this title is looking more than capable with standing out on its own. It's easily more developed and dense than the original Prey, which makes me really interested to play more. There's a lot unpack in this title, especially if the story goes further with its strange, mind-bendy plot, and I'm excited to see where it goes next after the opening hour. There's a lot of ambition in this title, and I'm pleased that it's more focused on doing its own thing, instead of retreading ground that so many other reboots have to do.

Glixel - 'Prey' is a Grand Space Experiment

The powers Yu develops are key to that improvisation, human and alien skills that are the result of a neuroscience experiment and can be unlocked and upgraded. Hacking, telekinesis, turning into a chair or, more usefully, a turret. It's lazy to compare it too closely to Bioshock but there's that same feeling that some areas of the world present questions that only a good dose of upgraded powers can answer. You can shrink into a small object, or cause a mess with Kinetic Blast. Combine one power with another and you could mark yourself out as either a total genius or an idiot – perfect fodder for YouTube.

And there's a nerf gun in the game...
xxrpDWQ.gif

I just watched part of the 30 min gameplay Video. Why the hell is the game so blurry for anything that isn't in the direct centre of the screen? It's even blurry when he's not moving.

cackhyena

I think this looks (graphics) good, but do most here think it looks more interesting than Prey 2 did? I'm forever bummed we won't get that game.

Courage

I think this looks good, but do most here think it looks more interesting than Prey 2 did? I'm forever bummed we won't get that game.

As someone who is still upset with what SE has done to Deus Ex, I'd rather Prey fulfills its potential and carries the immersive sim torch.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I think this looks good, but do most here think it looks more interesting than Prey 2 did? I'm forever bummed we won't get that game.

I love immersive sims so I think it looks more interesting.

Also we'll probably never know if prey 2 actually was any good outside of trailers so take that as both a curse and a blessing, we'll never be dissapointed by it not reaching expectations and you can forever romantizise the thought of prey 2 actually being that dream game you have in your head about space bounty hunters :)

KodaRuss

Action/RPG... so not a shooter. Is this supposed to be Bioshock then?

I am in for this game either way really just didnt expect that. Figured it would be a shooter with some puzzle elements.

While I can't deny that it sucks that we'll never get to play the intended follow up to the first game

That's what I needed to know, I'll leave this game to a 50% Steam sale then, I was REALLY hoping this game would be as mind-bending and unique as the 1st game. The Alien spaceship (DOOM 3-esque) mixed in with Oddworld and the alien looking guns. Not a fan of Dishonoured and OP superpowers, shame. :(

aravuus

Ohh yeah, hope this ends up being good. Has a lot of potential so I'm gonna skip most of the preview coverage for now.

Maybe I'll finally play and finish SS2 while I'm waiting.

ezekial45

Banned
That's what I needed to know, I'll leave this game to a 50% Steam sale then, I was REALLY hoping this game would be as mind-bending and unique as the 1st game. The Alien spaceship (DOOM 3-esque) mixed in with Oddworld and the alien looking guns. Not a fan of Dishonoured and OP superpowers, shame. :(

The previews absolutely suggest it'll be mind-bendy and unique enough from the original game. It's just different, that's all. I'm loving what I'm seeing here.

I saw Prey last week and yeah, if you can you should avoid everything about the game. It would be incredible to go into a game like this without knowing anything about it.

Courage

From what I've seen I do wish it looked a little more grim visually and tonally, but that can change past the opening area. I'm really curious to see how the gameplay unfolds once it opens up and more tools are available to you.

cackhyena

I love immersive sims so I think it looks more interesting.

Also we'll probably never know if prey 2 actually was any good outside of trailers so take that as both a curse and a blessing, we'll never be dissapointed by it not reaching expectations and you can forever romantizise the thought of prey 2 actually being that dream game you have in your head about space bounty hunters :)
:)...:/...:(

For those who are curious to know what kind of music Prey will be, Mick Gordon said its 80s synths and spaghetti western.

So don't expect something like DOOM.

Any impressions about the technical side? I still can't run Dishonored 2 properly.

The event I attended was running the game on PC at a smooth 60fps. Of course, these machines are probably powerful, but I didn't notice any frame drops. I don't think we'll see another Dishonored 2 problem with this game as it's running on a modified version of CryEngine 5.

Anung

Un Rama
I had no idea Mick Gordon was doing the score for this. Fantastic news. Guy is incredibly versatile so I can't wait to hear this and his work on Routine.

Even though it's Prey in name only this might be one of my most anticipated games of this year. System Shock mixed with Dishonored sounds like a winner in my book.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm actually really excited that Avellone is writing the story. I'm so used to seeing him on CRPG titles, and the work he did in New Vegas was excellent.

The event I attended was running the game on PC at a smooth 60fps. Of course, these machines are probably powerful, but I didn't notice any frame drops. I don't think we'll see another Dishonored 2 problem with this game as it's running on a modified version of CryEngine 5.

That's reassuring to hear, thanks. If this truly ends up being akin to System Shock 2 then I think we are all in for a treat.

Stoze

I'm actually really excited that Avellone is writing the story. I'm so used to seeing him on CRPG titles, and the work he did in New Vegas was excellent.

He isn't writing the whole story, he was contracted to work on it and has been done with his part for a while now. Whether he just contributed to a small piece of the game + some consulting on the overall narrative or did a lot more I'm not sure, but probably the former.

He isn't writing the whole story, he was contracted to work on it and has been done with his part for a while now. Whether he just contributed to a small piece of the game + some consulting on the overall narrative or did a lot more I'm not sure, but probably the former.

Yeah. Ricardo Bare, the lead designer, is the one who did a lot of the writing (The plot, for one)

Kazuhira

Q: What's up with the black spider monsters?
A: They're called Mimics, and they can take the form of any mundane object they come across. One moment you'll walk past a coffee cup on the ground, the next a Mimic will spring from it to attack you.

Oh,that's so fucking cool!

I think now i know what gift i want for my birthday. I'm pleased to hear more about those System Shock 2 comparisons, really excited to play it

Getting Bioshock vibes every time I see it and I love how enemies can disguise themselves as items, that could lead to some pretty intense "I really need that ammo, but is it really ammo ?" moments. :)

v0mitg0d

Here's more!

Want to see just the intro (first 7 minutes) of the game?
https://youtu.be/r4EN8Ve1vGA

Here's the 1st hour without any commentary:
https://youtu.be/WLwu2GeWDIg

A Let's Play with my impressions and thoughts:
https://youtu.be/27p1edDP21M

I had a short, impromptu interview with Lead Designer Ricardo Bare:
https://youtu.be/tLHXh1eAvKg

Here's a video of the entire Human Skill Tree, each node revealed (Alien Skill Tree was not available at the demo):
https://youtu.be/yH-n4KtaTAw

Here's what the hacking minigame looks like (fun!):
https://youtu.be/AbRPWpmDo4o

I also checked out the menu systems and PC graphic options:
https://youtu.be/mUVcm-ia_J8

Paragon

Looking good, though I really hope they can add in a better TAA solution than SMAA 2TX before it ships.
The game seems to have lots of aliasing similar to Alien: Isolation without the TAA mod.

Any impressions about the technical side? I still can't run Dishonored 2 properly.
It's running on CryEngine rather than the id Tech-derived Void Engine, so hopefully it will perform better.
That said, CryEngine has also been quite a CPU-heavy engine at times. I ran into CPU-related performance issues with Crysis 3.

As a fan of immersive sims, I'm really looking forward to it.
It's not like they cancelled Prey 2 to make this game. They took the name because it was available.
I think it's terrible what Bethesda did to Human Head Studios, but this is being developed by Arkane Studios who had nothing to do with it, not Bethesda.

As someone who is still upset with what SE has done to Deus Ex, I'd rather Prey fulfills its potential and carries the immersive sim torch.
Don't forget about the new System Shocks, and Underworld Ascendant. Immersive sims aren't dead just because Deus Ex is.

Whompa02

Looks kind of boring to be honest. Watched a few opening minutes. Visually nothing seemed to really stand out. Gameplaywise it seems pretty standard fare. Might listen to the Mike Gordon music. Definitely waiting for reviews.

Xater

Continues to look like an unofficial System Shock sequel. I have no problem with that, because I am into that.

Gator86

Considering the Bioshock and Deus Ex franchises are among my all-time favorites, this seems like a no-brainer. The only concern is it's an Arkane game. Dishonored just always feels like it's about to break or something. They feels so janky even though I think enjoyed 2. Something about the feel of their games is garbage even if everything about them is amazing.

Top Bottom