• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) - Preview Thread: New videos and impressions

It'll be kind of funny if when time comes for Prey 2 it becomes the a game about an alien bounty hunter, and Bethesda goes all "Here's your Prey 2 now shut the fuck up".

Zaru

So hold on.

Different setting. Different gameplay core. Different developer. Different engine. Different publisher.

Why the fuck even call it Prey? It's not like most modern players care much about or even know much about the original.

Game looks good though.

Has anyone explained the Nightmare enemy gameplay mechanics in depth yet? I think they said something about the enemy becoming increasingly aware of you as you upgrade your powers. Does that mean that the enemy will stalk you and hunt you freely around the ship, or is it restricted to a couple of set piece moments where the game will go easy on you if you have held back from upgrading too much?

I really like immersive sims, but do not like horror games where you are stalked by immortal enemies, so that is why I am asking.

So first things off, the Nightmare is created becauae the Typhon aliens see Morgan (the protaganist) as a threat. Basically, the more you acquire alien powers, the easier it becomes for the Nightmare to hunt you.

Let's say, you install 15 Neuromods for alien powers, then suddenly, you hear a roar. That's where the Nightmare is trying to hunt you.

d00d3n

Basically, the more you acquire alien powers, the easier it becomes for the Nightmare to hunt you

Let's say, you install 15 Neuromods for alien powers, then suddenly, you hear a roar. That's where the Nightmare is trying to hunt you.

So it is systemic stalking over the whole ship then? Fuck, I am really hyped about the game, but don't know if I will have the courage to actually play it now ... :)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just beat Dishonored 2 a few hours ago and it was a top notch experience. Fantastic gameplay and superb level design.

I hope Prey is just as good if not better.

commedieu

Banned
So hold on.

Different setting. Different gameplay core. Different developer. Different engine. Different publisher.

Why the fuck even call it Prey? It's not like most modern players care much about or even know much about the original.

Game looks good though.

Yeah. I'm with you. I got excited, then read the description. As if prey has some huge following.

CrayToes

Bethesda wanted to make something of an IP, with a cool name, that they already own. It's not rocket science. It's been abundantly clear since day 1 that this isn't Prey 2. It's nothing like the original, it's nothing like the cancelled sequel and frankly, it looks fucking awesome.

Bethesda wanted to make something of an IP, with a cool name, that they already own. It's not rocket science. It's been abundantly clear since day 1 that this isn't Prey 2. It's nothing like the original, it's nothing like the cancelled sequel and frankly, it looks fucking awesome.

Honestly, I'm more concerned with people complaining about Prey 2 in the OT once I post it.

Yes, it was an unfortunate loss, but it has nothing to do with this game at hand.
Shoukd they persist in the OT, it'll be derailing shitposting and nothing more.

CrayToes

Honestly, I'm more concerned with people complaining about Prey 2 in the OT once I post it.

Yes, it was an unfortunate loss, but it has nothing to do with this game at hand.

It's probably going to be a shitshow. It's sad because it looks like Arkane has created something really top notch here but it will forever be in the shadow of a 5 minute tech demo.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I don't think you have anything to worry about: a grand total of seven posts in this thread have lamented Prey 2. That's less than 4%.

pa22word

Should they persist in the OT, it'll be derailing shitposting and nothing more.

Just get in contact with a mod and OT ban it via the thread title or something. People posting that shit in the OT have no reason to do so other than to stir shit. Make a "Human Head's Prey 2 Group Therapy Project" thread if you want to do nothing more than cry over long spent milk.

I mean look guys, I was right there with y'all dragging Bethesda's balls through football fields coated with powdered glass and ghost pepper resin over what happened with the game. I get it. What's done is done. It's time to move on with your life. Quit trashing discussion of this game just for the sake of it. We get it, you don't like this game and it's not Prey 2. We've gotten it for years now since Kotaku leaked the reboot.

It's probably going to be a shitshow. It's sad because it looks like Arkane has created something really top notch here but it will forever be in the shadow of a 5 minute tech demo.

To be fair, it was a lot more than a "5 minute tech demo," it was a fully playable slice of the full game, suggesting it was pretty close to release.

I still think Prey looks awesome, but there's clearly a reason people are still yearning for Prey 2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dialogue spoiler from the end of the opening hour for those not watching.

"Hello, Morgan. Tough day, right? If I'm talking to myself, it must be. Your memory's shot full of holes, I know. I'm sorry, but it's permanent. So the first thing you need to know is that you can trust January. It's an Operator, a sort of backup of you and me. It knows what you've forgotten. We've been testing a new kind of Neuromod based on the Typhon organisms. Mapping their neural patterns onto ours. Problem is, when you uninstall a Neuromod it resets your memory back to the moment you first put it in. That's why you forget. There's supposed to be a process to bring you back up to speed between test runs. But...someone could just skip that part. Turn a single day into your entire life. Well. That's exactly what Alex did. The question is, why? You're not going to like what I have to say next..."

Really digging the narrative hook and premise. Soundtrack sounds fucking great too.

Dialogue spoiler from the end of the opening hour for those not watching.

"Hello, Morgan. Tough day, right? If I'm talking to myself, it must be. Your memory's shot full of holes, I know. I'm sorry, but it's permanent. So the first thing you need to know is that you can trust January. It's an Operator, a sort of backup of you and me. It knows what you've forgotten. We've been testing a new kind of Neuromod based on the Typhon organisms. Mapping their neural patterns onto ours. Problem is, when you uninstall a Neuromod it resets your memory back to the moment you first put it in. That's why you forget. There's supposed to be a process to bring you back up to speed between test runs. But...someone could just skip that part. Turn a single day into your entire life. Well. That's exactly what Alex did. The question is, why? You're not going to like what I have to say next..."

Really digging the narrative hook and premise. Soundtrack sounds fucking great too.

You should probably spoiler that so people don't read it by mistake.

And yeah, the narrative premise sounds really interesting so far (Maybe even more interesting than the Dishonored games) and the soundtrack is really great as well.

pa22word

You should probably spoiler that so people don't read it by mistake.

And yeah, the narrative premise sounds really interesting so far (Maybe even more interesting than the Dishonored games) and the soundtrack is really great as well.

This is also the first game Raph has directed since Dark Messiah, I'm pretty sure.

Anyone who seriously expects anything other than pure greatness out of this game needs to go play that. Pretty sure you can get it for peanuts these days, and it still plays as great as it always did.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is also the first game Raph has directed since Dark Messiah, I'm pretty sure.

Anyone who seriously expects anything other than pure greatness out of this game needs to go play that. Pretty sure you can get it for peanuts these days, and it still plays as great as it always did.

Yeah, it's only $10 these days, although if you want to save a few bucks, Ubi should have its annual publisher sale either later this month or next.

Edit: The game predates Uplay, and Ubi doesn't force it down the throats of third-party development partners, anyway.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Wow System Shock 2 inspiration is clearly there... Psi hypos, Looking Glass servers, Recycler, many many nods to SS2.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Prey |OT| 2

Jokea aside can't wait for this game, I am in LOVE with the art style as always when it comes to arkane games, they really hit it out of the park with it every single time.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Looks great. Dishonored 2 is still on my list of games to play, but I should be done with it until the first prices drops for Prey will occur around June/July. :)

Jb

I'm excited to see Arkane actually try to tell an engaging story this time around. I'm in regardless of whether the narrative ends up delivering or not, but with Deus Ex on the back burner and Irrational gone, it'd be cool to see them pick up the mantle.

So hold on.

Game looks good though.

They just like the name, and the connection is "aliens are hunting you". Blame the publisher if you must. If Bethesda owned the System Shock name, they'd just call it that.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/5/12390858/why-is-arkanes-upcoming-prey-game-a-prey-game-at-all
According to Bethesda VP of marketing and PR Pete Hines, the Prey brand shared loose thematic concepts with the type of space shooter-RPG that Arkane wanted to make, and that both companies jumped at the chance to make that opportunity work.

"We talked to Arkane, and they were like, ‘Look, if we can just treat this as a reimagining, and sort of distill this IP down to its very basics, and go nuts with it, and make it our very own, we're totally on board with just doing Prey,'" Hines said. "'Not as a reboot, we can just reimagine it. We'll keep the basic principle of ‘Aliens are hunting you,' and do what we envisioned — that's what we should do. We like the name; if you distill and take out everything you know about the previous game, or the canceled game, and just said the name Prey, it's a cool name. We think it really fits what it is that we're making.'"

Arkane's Raphael Colantonio, lead designer on Prey, added in a later interview that the decision to make the spacefaring shooter they wanted to craft a Prey title was a sensible one.

"We wanted to make that kind of game, and the Prey franchise was available for us to use," Colantonio said. "The name is cool, and there was a match for the high level concepts, which eventually, after some thought, made sense."

Ultimately, Arkane was told not to shoehorn in aspects of Prey or its canceled sequel, market confusion be damned.

"We're like, ‘Alright, then we're just gonna swallow the bullet of people either A, asking us about the canceled thing or B, asking us what this has to do with the original Prey, and just go with the thing we think fits from a tone and vibe standpoint, with what we're making," Hines said.

"Ultimately, where we ended up was that it was a cool name that fit the vibe of the game that they're making, so let's go with that, and own it," Hines added. "And eventually, all anyone's really going to care about is: Is the Prey game that Arkane is making that comes out in 2017 really good? Because if it is, that's what everybody's going to associate Prey with."​

v0mitg0d

Good stuff man,thanks...I see a bit of Dishonored also in those vids,which is a great,just finished Dishonored 2 this week,it was awesome.

Well thank you! It was a lot of work soup-to-nuts to make all of these videos happen, so genuine compliments like your make my day. :)

About the Dishonored likeness, I was interested in seeing how much the game felt like Dishonored--it's one of the reasons I attended the event. I'm happy to report it felt nothing like it--felt more like System Shock 2 with a dash of Dead Space/BioShock/Dishonored--and has it's own identity.

Did you see the last 10 minutes of the 1 hour video? (link: https://youtu.be/WLwu2GeWDIg ) I came away from that demo really interested in what happens beyond that 1 hour mark. Looks iiiiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting.....

v0mitg0d

So hold on.

Game looks good though.

I asked the Lead Designer this (Ricardo Bare) and he was very frank about it. Basically Bethesda paid a lot of money for the IP, needed to use it, it had momentum from the Prey 2 thing, and Arkcane had this wonderful idea for a project.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I'm still amazed at how closely this game is mimicking System Shock 2 which is not a bad thing at all. Unfortunately it's still not as complex as Ss2 (no research, complex maps/level design, player stats) but still has a lot in common. Can't help but think TranStar is inspired by Tri-Optimum.

Prey [OT] Yu Won't Believe it's not Butter

Prey [OT] The Worst Part of Waking up Are Shadows in Your Cup.

Nice, more OT titles. Keep them coming

I'm still amazed at how closely this game is mimicking System Shock 2 which is not a bad thing at all. Unfortunately it's still not as complex as Ss2 (no research, complex maps/level design, player stats) but still has a lot in common. Can't help but think TranStar is inspired by Tri-Optimum.

Arkane are made up of people who are passionate and obsessed over Looking Glass games.

In other words, they're trying to become Looking Glass 2.0.

v0mitg0d

To be fair, we don't know this for sure. Not everything about the game has been revealed.

Stoze

Player stats sure, but I don't see how you could make the assumption that the level design is less complex. There may or may not be research (which was just a roughly implemented way of adding extra perks imo), but there is crafting and upgrading. I love SS2 but there's a lot of streamlining and fat to be trimmed with that game when trying to modernize it, and it looks like they've done it without removing core RPG and immersive sim elements ala Bioshock.

Considering Looking Glass is an in-game company or something, they are definitely wearing their influences on their sleeve.

Cheever

I asked the Lead Designer this (Ricardo Bare) and he was very frank about it. Basically Bethesda paid a lot of money for the IP, needed to use it, it had momentum from the Prey 2 thing, and Arkcane had this wonderful idea for a project.

Yep -- much like the Terminator license, it has to be used within a certain amount of time or revert back to the previous owner. If Bethesda hasn't called this Prey, then it would've gone back to the Radar Group. If Radar got it, then they'd use it to create their version of Prey 2. Maybe even take it back to Human Head.

Arkane loves Looking Glass (I do). They couldn't get the Thief IP, so they turned it into Dishonored. System Shock's IP was't available so they turned it into a Prey title.

Sotha_Sil

Ultimately, Arkane was told not to shoehorn in aspects of Prey or its canceled sequel, market confusion be damned.

"We're like, ‘Alright, then we're just gonna swallow the bullet of people either A, asking us about the canceled thing or B, asking us what this has to do with the original Prey, and just go with the thing we think fits from a tone and vibe standpoint, with what we're making," Hines said.

"Ultimately, where we ended up was that it was a cool name that fit the vibe of the game that they're making, so let's go with that, and own it," Hines added. "And eventually, all anyone's really going to care about is: Is the Prey game that Arkane is making that comes out in 2017 really good? Because if it is, that's what everybody's going to associate Prey with."[/INDENT]

I love this answer from Pete Hines.

Hopefully Arkane Austin has an easier time with Cryengine than Arkane Lyon did with the Void Engine. Shame neither is running on ID Tech 6. That has to be Bethesda Softwork's go-to engine for Arkane, ID, MachineGames, and Tango moving forward.

Roboculus

The only issue I have is that I'm not a big fan of how the enemies look (though I do think the mimic ability is rad). Everything else sounds pretty good to me though.

Stranya

Can't wait. Immersive sims are my favourite type of game. Deus Ex: MD and Dishonored 2 were great, but seem to have sold relatively poorly, and it looks like DE is back in a storage. Need Prey to do well, because there aren't many games like this on console.

luulubuu

a few OT suggestions

PREY |OT| ditto
PREY |OT| |TO| YƎЯԳ
PREY |OT| Trust no one, not even your shelf

I can't wait for the game, I'm so hyped

Top Bottom