• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Demo: Opening Hour Thread: Everything is Going to Be OK

Gator86

Graphics are mediocre and the input lag is INSANE, what the hell were they thinking?

So far it's a no go.

Head's up: The PS4 Demo has an input latency issue that’s been addressed in the full version for next week.

Devs say that it's fixed for the full game, but guarded skepticism, of course. Probably shouldn't release a demo with input lag to follow-up your previous game that had it and claim it's now fixed. Sounds... less than legit.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Played about 15 minutes of it so far, outside of the tech issues people are bringing up I like the music and atmosphere so far. Not a fan of audiologs/books/notes telling the full story but We'll see how it goes.

GavinUK86

Anything else? Never noticed it in Dishonored 2
Is it something you'd only notice if you also play the same game on PC?

No, it's noticeable if you just play on consoles too.

The way I describe it is moving the right stick around feels like trudging through wet mud. Or sand. It just feels sluggish. Flick the stick and there's a split second before the input registers and happens.

Anything else? Never noticed it in Dishonored 2
Is it something you'd only notice if you also play the same game on PC?
Not sure what to say, you play on console and didn't notice it? I guess if you don't notice it in that game you'll not notice it anywhere because it's the worst offender I've played this gen on ps4. Consider yourself lucky.

This is some bizarro world when the Original Dishonored ran like a dream. I really dont know what happened.

With Dishonored 2 I at least understand it because it was bizarro id-Tech 5 in-house-modification mostrosity. Dishonored 1 was Unreal Engine 3.

But this one is CryEngine. So if it's fucked, I got no idea.

Stoze

It is to me.
Quoting from other page:
Head's up: The PS4 Demo has an input latency issue that's been addressed in the full version for next week.

Stopped after getting to Morgan's office. Beyond the input lag, the only other thing that irked me is the music sync with the Mimics. Sometimes it would die out properly after killing the last one and other times it wouldn't and awkwardly carry on. It's also really fucking loud on default settings (the first one scared the shit out of me because of that), after turning it down to like 30-40 it was fine though. It would also start the cue when not even or barely in my FoV, not sure how I feel about that. Provided we get some decent options on PC all this stuff could be remedied there, will be waiting on more performance impressions on that front.

Otherwise I liked it a whole lot. Environment overall feels highly reactive and interactive, there are tons of objects to fling around and I love the in-game interfaces. The game allows you to do some neat stuff even before you get out of the lobby, like
blasting away heavy boxes blocking a door that require Leverage II by placing an explosive tank next to them and hitting with a wrench
. Art direction and level design are top notch as expected from these guys. The presentation of the introduction was awesome and the main narrative and backstory of the station are intriguing. Emails, books, notes, etc. are well written.

Peroroncino

Graphics are mediocre and the input lag is INSANE, what the hell were they thinking?

So far it's a no go.

Played a bit longer... definitely a no go from me. Atmosphere is somewhat good but the rest is mediocre at best, combat, annoying music, interface and graphics, with controls being awful.

Jump scares however are the worst offender by far, probably cheapest I ever experienced, some weird spider-thingy spawns behind me, music starts to go BERSERK, I turn around, one shot him with a clunky wrench animation and... the music at max volume is still going on like crazy for about 30 seconds after I dealt with the 'threat'.

Nah thanks, not even on sale.

Quoting from other page:
see:
Devs say that it's fixed for the full game, but guarded skepticism, of course. Probably shouldn't release a demo with input lag to follow-up your previous game that had it and claim it's now fixed. Sounds... less than legit.

I don't buy it for a second, and coincidentally until it's fixed in Dishonored 2 and Prey 2017 I'm not buying those either.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
What other games have had input lag? I'm not sure I've ever noticed it in a game
If you don't notice input lag, count yourself among the fortunate, and do not investigate it. You can not come back from this side.

If you don't notice input lag, count yourself among the fortunate, and do not investigate it. You can not come back from this side.

That's how I thought it was gonna be with me and CA since everyone bitched about it. But honestly I hardly notice it, like in a side by side picture yeah the no CA is gonna be better and I turned off CA in DOOM and felt like it cleared up some visual noise but it also isn't something like framerate drops or screen tearing where I can tell as soon as it happens. I played through Bloodborne fine even with knowing what CA was.

I never noticed it until killzone 2 I believe. Once you start seeing it it's always gonna bother you. I'm fortunate to not know what framepacing is and I'll never voluntarily find out.

GavinUK86

Played a bit longer... definitely a no go from me. Atmosphere is somewhat good but the rest is mediocre at best, combat, annoying music, interface and graphics, with controls being awful.

Jump scares however are the worst offender by far, probably cheapest I ever experienced, some weird spider-thingy spawns behind me, music starts to go BERSERK, I turn around, one shot him with a clunky wrench animation and... the music at max volume is still going on like crazy for about 30 seconds after I dealt with the 'threat'.

Nah thanks, not even on sale.

lol the overreaction is insane.

you can't even one shot mimics. well, unless you're playing on easy? i've not tried that but maybe you can one shot em there.

sounds like you wasn't looking for a good game before you went in. maybe you went in to confirm your negative opinion on it already.

I never noticed it until killzone 2 I believe. Once you start seeing it it's always gonna bother you. I'm fortunate to not know what framepacing is and I'll never voluntarily find out.
To be fair, I played Metal Gear Solid 5 perfectly fine at 18-20FPS for like fifteen hours on PC, before I got it on PS4 this year, so my personal standards and notice of stuff like this is really low

Stoze

see:

I don't buy it for a second, and coincidentally until it's fixed in Dishonored 2 and Prey 2017 I'm not buying those either.
That's not saying much considering Prey isn't released yet. And the user I quoted may not have seen the response from the community manager.

Look, I'm well aware of the state of Dishonored 2 and Bethesda's/Arkane's fuck ups, but for now, I'm not going to jump into unbridled pessimism before release. Personally I don't see the point, if it turns out the PC performance is intolerable or rampant with other issues when it comes out, then I don't buy it. Or I do buy it eventually and my playthrough/opinion of it suffers, but I'll wait until then to be annoyed.

To be fair, I played Metal Gear Solid 5 perfectly fine at 18-20FPS for like fifteen hours on PC, before I got it on PS4 this year, so my personal standards and notice of stuff like this is really low

Blighttown in Dark Souls 1 on my laptop was a constant 15fps and I got used to it eventually but I don't think I could do a full game like that. DOOM 2016 almost made me throw up too before I turned off motion blur and upped the FOV.

The amount of freedom you have in these demos, who needs to continue past the saves?

Watch Dogs 2 was only like 3 hours long and Mafia 3's biggest praise is for its narrative and the demo only gives you the first act of many. And Prey is an even more linear game where when you keep going you get you know, different levels and gear and story beats....

Peroroncino

lol the overreaction is insane.

you can't even one shot mimics. well, unless you're playing on easy? i've not tried that but maybe you can one shot em there.

sounds like you wasn't looking for a good game before you went in. maybe you went in to confirm your negative opinion on it already.

I didn't even watch 1 trailer for this game or posted once in any thread about it so I don't think my opinion was biased in any way. I decided to check it out since it was Arkane game and I like Dishonored, but yeah... I don't like it.

I played on normal, the mimic appeard behind me with fraction of health thus I one shotted him, after that I picked up some foam gun and stun gun and was too busy fighting the awful input lag while trying to aim rather than the actual enemies.

GavinUK86

Just downloaded the Xbox One demo and holy shit, the controls feel way more responsive than on PS4. There's barely any input lag on it as far as I can tell. It really is night and day.

I didn't even watch 1 trailer for this game or posted once in any thread about it so I don't think my opinion was biased in any way. I decided to check it out since it was Arkane game and I like Dishonored, but yeah... I don't like it.

I played on normal, the mimic appeard behind me with fraction of health thus I one shotted him, after that I picked up some foam gun and stun gun and was too busy fighting the awful input lag while trying to aim rather than the actual enemies.

Okay, maybe I overreacted a bit. Just sounded really knee jerk.

What engine is this game running on? Reading it is shit on PC sucks.

On CryEngine 5.

Bluth54

Oh god Killzone 2 lag, holy crap im a forgiving bastard but that was actually a thing. This is that bad?

I remember everyone praising Killzone 2 so much so I decided to tried the demo and quickly decided that I would never play the full game due to how awful the input lag was.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Don't see it on the US PSN yet.

A demo that is the first hour of a game does not require a spoiler warning for something that occurs in the first hour of the game. What the hell.

gstaff

Hopefully, we'll get a pc demo, but it's not looking likely at this point. :(

Anyone know the technical reason why there is input lag in a game?

I'm actually trying to get a technical explanation... more than just "we fixed it".

BTW, demo should be out at midnight ET in North America.

Spoo

Weird reading about PC performance issues; CryEngine on a good PC is usually a thing of beauty, with really responsive controls and nearly perfect framerates with even huge vistas.

What the actual fuck did they do to fuck it up on the most powerful hardware money can buy?

Landford

Banned
Hopefully, we'll get a pc demo, but it's not looking likely at this point. :(

Anyone know the technical reason why there is input lag in a game?

I really think they are trying to ride this one out until launch. The fact that they ommited the PC demo and their history on the last game is a huge red flag for me.

Also interested in how input lag creeps out on a game like this, if theres anyone who can answer.

GavinUK86

Weird reading about PC performance issues; CryEngine on a good PC is usually a thing of beauty, with really responsive controls and nearly perfect framerates with even huge vistas.

What the actual fuck did they do to fuck it up on the most powerful hardware money can buy?

Well we don't really know much about PC performance yet so I would hold off on completely writing it off. The demo is only being released for consoles.

Spoo

Well we don't really know much about PC performance yet so I would hold off on completely writing it off. The demo is only being released for consoles.

We don't? A previous page had links to some write-ups specifically for the PC version and stating the performance was not good.

This close to release, and without a PC version of the demo ... maybe not a write-off, but I wouldn't say we don't know much.

edit: On further thought, something that is going to exacerbate my fear as far as this is concerned has to do with the fact that, in theory, you demo your best foot forward. You get to choose the machine, the level, etc. So in a completely controlled environment, the game has -- and this is saying it nicer -- an uneven framerate on PC with instability issues (crashing). And there isn't going to be a PC demo. And Bethesda no longer allows advanced reviews for their products. And Dishonored 2 on PC notably had bad performance. So, this should leave any person who might want to buy on PC in a pretty rough spot, so I kinda have to take these articles on their word for the time being.

Also the console impressions coming in are pretty bad. So it's not, like, totally unreasonable to suspect that the PC version is doing that much worse :\ I'll be trying the demo of course, but this is pretty shitty since I was pretty excited for this.

Stoze

We don't? A previous page had links to some write-ups specifically for the PC version and stating the performance was not good.

This close to release, and without a PC version of the demo ... maybe not a write-off, but I wouldn't say we don't know much.

There's only been two posted, one from PC gamer 2 and half months ago, and one from an anon on Reddit a couple weeks ago. I'd call that not knowing much.

I'm definitely skeptical and will be reading impressions at release, but I think it's probably a little early to claim that they fucked it up on the most powerful hardware money could buy.

Just played it mediocore as fuck,also wtf is wrong with the graphics ? In some situations they are pixely beyond belive (Ps4) Like you can count the pixels....Overall they are mediocore too nothing crazy tbh looks like 4years old game

GavinUK86

The PC gamer preview was from a while ago, and it was the same build other sites played. We don't know what's changed since then. The reddit guy, well, we don't really know who he is and how familiar he is with pc gaming. It's all worth taking note of sure, but I wouldn't go cancelling preorders just because of it.

edit: ugh beaten like a mimic by Stoze

Top Bottom