• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Demo [PS4/X1] out on April 27th

Oh wow that's really nice, I'd like to try this out. The Demo is available on the 27th and it's supposed to be the opening hour of the game.

Interestingly the demo is also "console-exclusive".

A demo?!?!

J_Viper

Shows confidence on Betheda's part, but I hope they don't pull that late review shit.

I'm sure that tactic did a lot of damage to Dishonored 2

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason, this hasn't been grabbing me... and it's really bothering me; it has everything I should like. Glad a demo is coming. Might be able to change my mind! :D

Seems demos are back in fashion.

Smart.

I personally think there's more upside for pubs when it comes to betas and demos despite a bit of risk if players bounce off your game if they don't like what they play.

Something like Nioh is a game that I decided to buy day one primarily because I had a great time with the demo.

Anung

Un Rama
Must be really confident in what they've got to put a demo out there in this the year 2017.

I'll be day one anyway. Arkane are probably my favourite Dev out there so I'll be jumping in regardless.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Colour me surprised. I wasn't expecting a demo due to the Metroidesque structure of the game world.

No PC demo? damn

It's probably because Bethesda doesn't want piracy groups fiddling with Denuvo and getting a crack lined up for release day, although it could just remove Denuvo from the demo's executable. Data mining concerns may also be a factor. Regardless of the reason/s, the lack of a PC demo is a bit of a bold if not arguably silly move considering the performance issues that continue to plague Dishonored 2 PC. Different engines (and branches of Arkane), sure, however, when it comes to public opinion, you're only as good as your most recent release and deciding against a PC demo for your upcoming game does nothing to inspire confidence.

CrayToes

Meaty single player games galore, old school demos, no pointless microtransactions etc. I'm really starting to grow quite fond of Bethesda as a publisher.

oh yeah review people wont get the game until release I forgot Bethesda is doing that, So its good to put out a demo before it comes out!

Gator86

Probably a good idea given how the last two games in the genre did.

...Please stop. We don't need to talk about this.

That said, Bethesda really does seem super confident in this game. I hope it's great and moves a shit-ton of copies.

There's an embargo on Prey for the press who played the game last week for about an hour and should include what is in the public demo and more. It lifts tomorrow at 10am EDT.

CrayToes

There's an embargo on Prey for the press who played the game last week for about an hour, two sections that covered what appears to be this public demo and then a segment that's several hours into the game. It lifts tomorrow at 10am EDT.

Any early impressions you can give us?

Today I was looking at my Amazon preorder and contemplating life, whether or not to cancel since I'm still playing through Persona. With this demo I'll be able to judge for myself whether or not to still get the game. I miss demos tbh, more publishers should put those out.

Shows confidence on Betheda's part, but I hope they don't pull that late review shit.

I'm sure that tactic did a lot of damage to Dishonored 2

Isn't that their approach for all of their games going forward? They made a big statement about not giving out early review copies last year.

kc44135

That's great, actually. Good on Bethesda for providing demos, which is such a rare and admittedly risky practice these days. A poor demo can absolutely hurt a game (many demos have turned me off from games that I loved in their final form, with Resident Evil 7 being the most recent example), but even so, a demo is a great way to show people what the experience you're trying to provide with your game is like, and it also shows that you have confidence your game is a quality product. I hope more developers/publishers follow Bethesda's example here.

There's an embargo on Prey for the press who played the game last week for about an hour and should include what is in the public demo and more. It lifts tomorrow at 10am EDT.

Ah, so that's what Jason from GiantBomb must have been playing when he said he couldn't talk about what he played recently. He did the same sort of coverage for Dishonored 2. Thanks for letting us know!

Top Bottom