• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Game Informer details

Alxjn

-You can play female or male, mostly cosmetic, but some characters may react differently.

-Talos I is roughly the size of the Empire state Building

-Free reign to explore Talos I, the interior and exterior. One giant interconnected mission.

-There are locked off areas/natural barriers that require you to find a code, voice, restore power, etc to unlock.

-Elevator that takes you to all the decks, but its broken. So you need to figure out how to fix it before you can use it.

-There are areas accessible from the start, but travelling there low level isnt a great idea.

-'System Shock meets Super Metroid' - Game Informer. Arkane says its a fair analogy.

-Side quests are scattered around the station.

-Metroid Prime esque scanning to find enemy weakness, etc.

-More RPG elements compared to previous Arkane games. Fire arm skills, Repair skills, etc.

-Inventory grid

-Status ailments such as third degree burns, concussions. Similar to mgs3, there are penalties for trauma that you need to tend to.

-You gain powers through use of neuromods, which were originally sold to the human population to augment themselves, but The player can use them to gain Alien powers as well.

-Psi mode. You can look around freely, but time moves forward when you move. Sounds superhot inspired.

-Acquiring Alien abilities makes you appear more alien to Talos I's security system, turning defense turrets that would normally fight for you against you.

-Talos I has fallen victim to an Alien outbreak that it was built to contain.

-Poltergiest Typhon behaves how it sounds.

-Mimic can disguise itself as anything in the environment that isn't bolted down. Player can get this power too.

-Telepath posess people. You can simply kill this person, stun them or find the telepath and kill it to set them free.

-Incapacitating people is temporary, unlike in Dishonored.

-Typhon dubbed 'Nightmare' hunts you down through Talos I. Closest comparison might be Nemesis or the Alien in Alien Isolation.

-The more neuromods you use the more likely the Nightmare will become aware of you.

Gameplay trailer for extra context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QCR6nOPOLc

Sounds really promising, and despite not liking how Bethesda handled Prey 2, I hope it performs well, because we could use more immersive sims.

Con Con

I really like what I'm reading here. Tending to injuries and avoiding the "nightmare" sounds awesome.

Can't wait to get my gameinformer issue

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sounds completely unrelated to and unlike Prey or the cancelled Prey 2, but they had me at System Shock meets Super Metroid.

-'System Shock meets Super Metroid'

Excuse me!?!?

Why this is called Prey is quite beyond me but it looks pretty f'ing cool on paper and I did like that trailer I saw. Keeping my expectations in check though...

Oynox

Sounds great and since I never played the first Prey (and actually do not know what it is about) I don't even care if it is not the game people wanted.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Game sounds pretty damn good. I still miss the original Prey 2 but this is at least looking to be a good game in its own right, especially if they can pull it off.

I like all of that... except that it's called Prey. There's no reason for it.

Small story connection aside the same could be said about Prey 2. People were interest interested in that title for the concept and gameplay, not because everybody was hankering for a sequel to Prey 1.

Farks!

giphy.gif

selo

I dont know why they insist on the name prey, its not like the original game was very good to begin with.

This sounds very promising!

Raptor

All sounds and looks great except the gunplay, looks weak as heck, I only want that to get fixed please.

Stormy

Don' care that its called Prey in the slightest. Played the original and thought it was a decent game, but not so special that something completely different called the same thing is blasphemy.

I think this new Prey game looks absolutely amazing. Cannot wait for this to drop. Liking everything I am hearing and see from it.

Alxjn

I dont know why they insist on the name prey, its not like the original game was very good to begin with.

It sounds like it was a bethesda thing, since from what i've heard Arkane was toying around with this idea before the name Prey even entered the equation.

Vico

Not sold on everything yet (enemy design mainly), but damn this is exciting! Glad it's coming really soon, too. I hope it's not too short, though.

At this point why don't they just make this an entirely original ip. By the time it is released few people will remember prey.

Alxjn

Congratulations on already overselling your game with crazy expectations.

I should add that it was Game Informer that made that comparison, and Arkane replied that it was a fair analogy. But it's also meant to give an idea of the structure of the game (interconnected world, powers that help navigate that world, interlocking systems, etc), not that its going to have the same impact or be at the same level of quality as those games.

Yozetty

Game Informer
Thanks for the correct clarification here.

I should add that it was Game Informer that made that comparison, and Arkane replied that it was a fair analogy. But it's also meant to give an idea of the structure of the game (interconnected world, powers that help navigate that world, interlocking systems, etc), not that its going to have the same impact or be at the same level of quality as those games.

They paid for the IP, they want to make their investment worthwhile by turning the IP into a new franchise with value. It's not that hard to understand really.

At this point why don't they just make this an entirely original ip. By the time it is released few people will remember prey.
I'm sure that is what they are counting on. When people think of Prey, Bethesda wants them to think of this new game and not the old ones. It basically is an original IP at this point, they just spent money on the name so they want to use it...not to mention sweep under the rug what happened with Prey 2's development.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
LoL system shock + super metroid ...

that should lock in some pre-orders i'm sure.

I hope the alien powers/interactions stay as trippy and sureal as they looked in the initial reveal trailer.

J3nga

That's a day one for me, don't care about Prey 2 cancellation, must've been a reason why it got cancelled. And why in every thread about Prey there's always talk about Prey 2, this has nothing to do with Prey 2 being cancelled, it's whole another game that reuses abandoned franchise(nothing's wrong with that) and what I'm trying to say, it's not like Prey 2 got dumped to make this instead.

Vibranium

Banned
I really like the sound of the damage/health system, it's what the modern Deus Ex games should have. Hopefully the enemy variety is strong.

I still want the idea of Prey 2 badly, but we should all treat this game as it is, a new IP with the name "Prey".

So the guy from the first trailer was the bad guy or?

Cause the game looks and sounds nothing like that reveal trailer. The tone of that was more space horror than what this sounds like.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"System shock meets metroid"

So basically...Bioshock in space, got it.

I also wish they had deleted the ability to select the male character and just had the player as the female character. LIke like Corvo in Dishonored 2, i feel like it tries to 'split the difference' in a cowardly manner to avoid having the main female character be the full focus.

Top Bottom