• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Price change for Xbox LIVE Gold subscription $60=The new $50

JORMBO

Darkness no more
the fuck?

I'm gonna grab a short sub for Halo Reach, but I'm glad I do most of my online gaming on PC or PSN.

FrankT

manzo said:
What the FUCK?

When the competitor gives free online with features that nearly match yours, you DON'T raise the fucking prices.

SMH

Well you probably do if the service continues to grow after what 8 years or so now. Not that I like it at all. They kind of need to justify it, but they can since again the service just keeps on growing in base.

goMaki

Stumpokapow said:
thank god i've got free live until the end of 2013.
Agreed.

This might bother me more if I was currently paying for my subs, but as it is it doesn't bother me. I can only hope they offer more when they do the update/launch Kinect.

Hixx

I wish Microsoft would bring out a different tier of pricing for those of us who don't use all the guff that Gold 'enables'. I mean I use Gold purely for MP, not any of this last.fm/twitter/facebook shit. Raising the price just means I will cancel it, sick of being ripped off. Time to cancel my subscription me thinks.

Red Blaster said:
So, who's going to be the first to defend this?

There is no defending $60 bucks for live... shit, there is no defending $50 bucks for live. Most of GAF paid $40 or below for their XBL accounts.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
5UWH0.jpg

DaBuddaDa said:
"Xbox 720, launching Fall of 2013! Featuring XBOX LIVE 720, available for a year at the low low price of $99.99!"

Free Xbox 720!***

*$149.99 yearly subscription required
**additional broadband service required

Darklord

Banned
Stan The Caddy said:
holy shit, $10 more dollars, I wont be able to eat for months now

If you feel like that send me $100. I mean it's only $100, that's like less than 2 games. It's nothing and it's just a one off payment. I'll even send you some cool shit you can get for free elsewhere. Come on, I could use the money and it's ONLY $100, right?

Guy Legend

This is why I buy the vast majority of third party games on PS3....so I can play online year after year without a problem of paying for online over and over.

Plasma

Banned
Not too bothered because I'm in the UK and the 12 month prices aren't changing here but if anything you would think they would take the prices down with all the ads they shove down your throat every time you log on.

Struct09

I'll continue to be an XBL Gold member (mostly due to cards), but will be interested to see how this works out for them

AMAZING! Right when I super-upgraded my PC and my Live subscription ran out! Whatever will I do without Live? Probably play my PC and PS3 a bit more. I always saw the current price as manageable, though I never could really see the "value" as my friends who game are never gaming when I'm gaming (adulthood, lol), so I didn't do a lot of multiplayer. Raise the price by $10? In this economy? Spending $60 wouldn't really break the bank for me, but I think I'll pass on principle.

Gravijah

HixxSAFC said:
I wish Microsoft would bring out a different tier of pricing for those of us who don't use all the guff that Gold 'enables'. I mean I use Gold purely for MP, not any of this last.fm/twitter/facebook shit. Raising the price just means I will cancel it, sick of being ripped off. Time to cancel my subscription me thinks.

The point is being able tout all these features, even if you don't use them. They don't give a shit if you do or not they just want your money.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Was expecting it tbh, $10 is hardly a big deal imo, that's like an extra 20c a week, we'll all still continue to pick up live for way under the rrp anyway.

Darkman M

MikeE21286 said:
Free Xbox 720!***

*$149.99 yearly subscription required
**additional broadband service required

Fuck console gaming PC future.

lowrider007 said:
Was expecting it tbh, $10 is hardly a big deal imo, that's like an extra 20c a week, we'll all still continue to pick up live for way under the rrp anyway.

It's all about principle they are already fucking people @ $50, they add more and more ad's over the years yet they charge more.

Quixzlizx

OldJadedGamer said:
There is no defending $60 bucks for live... shit, there is no defending $50 bucks for live. Most of GAF paid $40 or below for their XBL accounts.

The "only scrubs pay full price" line of thinking doesn't take into account that the sale prices will most likely increase as well.

FLEABttn

Banned
Fantastical said:
Holy shit Pachter was right about something?

The thread about that comment was focused on the $100 comment, which seemed more like a not serious way of saying it was going up, rather than being focused on the idea that the live price might increase.

The entire notion of paying for p2p gaming is hilarious. The fact that they are increasing the price is more hilarious and what MS offers isn't worth the entry fee.

I haven't bought a 360 game in a year and a half and I clearly made the right call.

HixxSAFC said:
the reason for them not to do it is pretty obvious: for the vast majority of the userbase, xbox live gold is paid to play multiplayer. the end.

the other features are just bullet points. if they had you pay, say, 5 bucks a year to play online and 60 to use all the BLING BLING, 99% of the gold subscribers would switch to the cheaper plan and they'd lose a lot of their revenue

deliciousbees on Twitter: Man, someone needs to teach angry posters on @majornelson's blog the concept of inflation. $50 in 2002 = $60.59 today.

But you'd hope in 8 years they would figure out how to reduce costs for paying for online gaming.

Though this is my favourite reaction.

@taswell: Hey, Microsoft has to offset the guaranteed loss on Kinect somehow!

xbhaskarx

This is ridiculous. :lol

Will my 13 month cards still get me 13 months of XBL?
If so, I'm glad I bought like six of them (for my two 360s) back when they were on sale for $30. :lol

Top Bottom