Prince of Persia "being paused"

Jul 19, 2011
http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/29/prince-of-persia-franchise-is-being-paused”-for-the-time-being/

“Brand management is a tricky thing,” Mallat told IGN. “It needs people's attention a lot. I think it is fair to say that, right now, Prince of Persia is being paused. But we said the same thing for some other brands that suddenly popped up because a team is willing to do it.”
“I’m not scared at all for Prince of Persia fans. We’ll find something to entertain them with in the future. Prince of Persia is part of Ubisoft’s portfolio. As a matter of fact, we sometimes iterate on franchises and sometimes we give them time to breathe and time to grow, or time to rest.”
lock if old

Personally, I'd say this is a good thing ultimately, they clearly didn't know what to do with it.

Jul 4, 2008
California
They really messed that franchise up by first establishing a good series on Ps2/xbox and then completely rebooting the universe for ps3/360 and then backtracking and making a game that was a hybrid of the ps2 series + the movie.

Should have just continued the ps2 series in the first place.

They really messed that franchise up by first establishing a good series on Ps2/xbox and then completely rebooting the universe for ps3/360 and then backtracking and making a game that was a hybrid of the ps2 series + the movie.

Should have just continued the ps2 series in the first place.
Nah, they should have just continued what they started with PoP '08 but, you know, making it better.

Dec 23, 2008
Canada
PoP 2008 is still one of my favourite games of this generation due to great cast, beautiful, imaginative level design and art style and finally exquisite soundtrack.

It is a shame that we may perhaps never see another in the same vein.

Sep 22, 2009
NJ
Probably for the best - especially given that weird Assassin's Creed looking thing we saw some screens of a while ago. I'd love to see what the 2008 game's art style would look like on new hardware even if they don't continue that story.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Not getting a sequel to PoP '08 is one of the biggest disappointments of the generation for me. I love that game, beautiful art style and great world building. Liked the way it played too, the combat looked phenomenal. Very underrated imo.

Sep 3, 2006
Netherlands
All 5 recent PoP games were good to excellent, with Sands of Time being a masterpiece. So, personally, I'm disappointed that all Ubisoft's effort have been going towards Assassin's Creed. I would still love to see a follow-up to the 2008 PoP, with some further developed gameplay elements.

Dec 5, 2008
“Brand management is a tricky thing,” said the man representing the company that keeps squirting out Assassin's Creed games every year, attempting to run that franchise into the ground.

Sep 4, 2009
On the edge
"we sometimes iterate on franchises and sometimes we give them time to breathe and time to grow, or time to rest"

Yes, I'm glad the PoP franchise is on hold. They really milked it this generation.

Nah, they should have just continued what they started with PoP '08 but, you know, making it better.
You mean like they did with Assassin's Creed? No, that would make too much sense.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
May 21, 2006
I don't really see a place for it in Ubisoft's future.

The traversal and combat elements that made the PS2 series popular have been incorporated into and evolved by Assassin's Creed, leaving PoP to be a less important series. The story and setting remain unique, but there's no room to design a game around them.

Feb 4, 2005
they pretty much killed the franchise with so many style changes within a small span of time without any ''franchise'' coherence.

The Prince from the Two Thrones, POP 2008 and Forgotten Sands are all 3 different princes. This dilutes that character, and the franchise and nobody cares.

Forgotten Sands was a ''business title'' to try to capitalise on the Disney movie without caring about coherence.

Ubi has no idea what they're doing with most of their franchises anyway so it's better this way. A new PoP wouldn't have been a platformer either way.
Yeah, pretty much this. Those leaked supposed screenshots of a new title looked incredibly drab and evoked ACI, which is NOT what I want out of this series.

As pretty and charming as PoP2008 was, it was a real trainwreck gameplay wise, and since it didn't perform all that well, we're never going to see them iterate on that version.

I'd much rather they bring Jordan Mechner in and have him elaborate on his vision of The Prince as a folktale, changing the visual style, aesthetics and gameplay with each rendition, like how classic myths are tweaked and altered to adapt to various cultures.

Each game could be reinventing who The Prince is, where he's from, how the gameplay operates, and the art direction of each game, rather than trying to force a longer narrative and set of gameplay mechanics to work across a bunch of titles (I'm leaning towards episodic distribution personally). They could be encapsulated stories rather than stretching one long one out (which would make it easier for new players to check it out).

Nov 6, 2004
they pretty much killed the franchise with so many style changes within a small span of time without any ''franchise'' coherence.

The Prince from the Two Thrones, POP 2008 and Forgotten Sands are all 3 different princes. This dilutes that character, and the franchise and nobody cares

the prince from Forgotten Sands IS the prince from Two Thrones.

They've either got to reboot it and make it MORE realistic/accurate than Assassin's Creed, or go full hog fantasy like they tried to do with Prince of Persia 2008. I think that, since it didn't result in sales with 2008, we're probably going to see a pretty grounded entry that removes the more fantastical elements of the Sands of Time Trilogy.

I'm not sure I really like either direction, but I'm at a loss for any alternatives.

Jul 13, 2012
Put me in the camp that's sad we've never seen anything following up on PoP 2008. That's really the only PoP I want to see more of. The Breathe Me E3 trailer remains one of my favorite trailers from this gen.

When we all hop into a time machine, go back to 2008, and actually buy it.
Sad but true. Everything I really liked this gen, very few people bought.