• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

printing your own (retro) game posters

Jefklak

By accident ran into this: http://telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3127

Can a wall be any cooler than this?

postersqv4.jpg

The guy edited the original cover art pulling out all stains/logo's and such, upscaling the resolution to 80x60cm, 200dpi @ 15MB/jpg. Send this file to a prof. printing company and you've got yourself a pretty nice poster! I think it turned out to be quite awesome and I'm eager to get my own, but I'm looking for some more high resolution game poster art to modify, specific old PC games like Gobliins adventure games from Coktel Vision, anything from Apogee, ....

Monkey Island 1, 2, Fate of Atlantis, The Dig, Sam & Max can be found here: http://telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34670&postcount=4

Another crazy Day of the Tentacle poster (bigger preview format):
dottswa300mi4.jpg

download here

I've seen other game poster threads passing by and spent most of the day savaging off google trying to aquire some high-res art like the above, but I've had no luck so far. Can you make your own "art" like this? How do you upscale scanned box art/game manual art without reducing the picture quality?

Already tried www.thecoverproject.org and other sites, nothing of any use found...
Any help from GAF, maybe?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Adol said:
You can't 'upscale' raster art without affecting picture quality, but you can recreate it at whatever resolution you want.

Just downloaded the MI2 one, it's got a blotchy paint style, but it looks incredible for massively enlarged art. Definitely couldn't achieve this myself.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Those are really nice. Anyone know a US company that will print out posters like that for you?
Anyplace with teenagers that don't care/know about copyright law.

Edit: I'm coming off like a dick, here's something actually useful:

I'd say that the best ways to get the art at the proper size would be to either scan it in yourself at as high a resolution as possible, or by taking an existing scan and tracing over the top of it in Illustrator.

For printing, you'll want to take it to a short-run digital print shop that has a wide-format plotter, like Kinko's. If they don't want to print it, take it to a competitor.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I ended up doing something semi similar in my apartment here in Japan:

wallartex1.jpg

wallartex2.jpg

wallartex3.jpg

wallartex5.jpg

Granted, these are resized photos to 6x8 with a 2" inch matte and then framed in 8x10 frames, but I have them in my apartment right now, and I love them.

HarryHengst said:
http://www.adventure-treff.de/specials/dl_goodies.php#poster

also has those posters from the OP, for those people without a paid rapidshare account.

Nice, much better than waiting for Rapidshare, only to be told you've reached your allowance for the day (stupid proxy).

Nice thread, I hope some more people can find some retro poster-sized goodness. I'm thinking the Super Mario Bros 3 box cover (without all the text blurb)

eXistor

This thread made my day! I've been looking for high-res Lucasarts posters (MI in particular) for a while now and now I've found them! Now to find a place nearby that will print them.

jax (old)

Banned
thetrin said:

wallartex1.jpg

wallartex2.jpg

wallartex3.jpg

wallartex5.jpg

Granted, these are resized photos to 6x8 with a 2" inch matte and then framed in 8x10 frames, but I have them in my apartment right now, and I love them.

the only ones I'd put up are the katamari + coloussus one - they don't scream VIDEOGAME!!! so yeah, I like them alot

Jefklak

eXistor said:
This thread made my day! I've been looking for high-res Lucasarts posters (MI in particular) for a while now and now I've found them! Now to find a place nearby that will print them.

You're welcome :)
I'm still looking for more high-res non-console stuff. It's not that hard to find a lot of good zelda/mario/whatever art via google. I do have a Gobliins 2 manual lying around maybe I can scan the front page, but I doubt the quality will be any good...

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Nice. I need to get some decent stuff seeing as my very cheap ''Rasterbated'' SF4 art fell down. O_0

neight

Banned
Router said:
Nice. I need to get some decent stuff seeing as my very cheap ''Rasterbated'' SF4 art fell down. O_0

lol that's so ghetto with it being taped like that. get double-sided tape.

Ok, here is one I just made. A4 poster only, but the resolution was still high enough to get a good quality print. (My camera phone sucks ass sorry)

doomposter.jpg

For those who would like the original Jpeg, here ya go. 2.5MB in size, 4093x2071.

Pachimari

I'm already getting a 78x220cm poster of Metal Gear Solid 4 but it has been delayed by three weeks apparently - therefore, if any of you find high-res art of Snatcher, Policenauts or even Metal Gear Solid 1 (even little Penguin Adventure art), please let me know (has already seen those on TUS). =)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Marty Chinn said:
Where did you get this image? I think I want to hang that up myself.

4chan's High Res section. It's not there anymore, obviously, but they constantly post insanely high resolution game art.

Ryuukan

If you are in the Philadelphia area, send me a message if you want something printed, I use 42" rolls.

Apologies if this is considered soliciting.

Awesome, I so have to do that with the Fate of Atlantis one when we finally move and I have flat walls again and not slopey loft walls.

thetrin

Darkflight said:
Awesome, I so have to do that with the Fate of Atlantis one when we finally move and I have flat walls again and not slopey loft walls.
For a sec, I thought you meant you lived in a bubble house or something. :lol

I might have a crack at this... I need to pick the games first though. Day of the Tentacle would definitely be one of them. Best game ever! I also need to get poster frames. The ones I have in my room are ok, but I want something better. Anyone got any good links?

I might put game posters on the opposite wall to my Star Wars posters

n590985881_597690_7132.jpg

^Photos more centered on the piano, but I can't be bothered taking / uploading another. You get the idea though.

Well I made a few more today to chuck up above my TV.

mywallofgeek.jpg

Its damn hard trying to find pictures to make A4 posters out of. Every Bioshock cover has the 2K games logo and ELSPA rating on it.... couldn't find a TIE Fighter poster...KOTOR...Mass Effect.

More companies need to release Super Hi-Res artworks of their games.

Azar

The Retro factor makes them hugely appealing. I was just playing through Monkey Island this past week. Having some small posters printed out for games with awesome art sure is tempting...

Anyone have some really high-res Castlevania stuff? That would be perfect. Maybe there was some in that gaming art thread from a couple months back.

I know what I really want, a Jedi Knight poster, but of just the lightsaber glowing in the middle of the page, no text or anything to spoil it.

I'd also like a GTA:Vice City cover art to print out, but all I can find in super-big-resolutions are Vice City Stories images :(

HarryHengst said:
What resolution image is needed to get a decent print?

Depends on what print size you want, as a guide I'd go for around;

6"x4" = 1600x1200
5"x7" = 2000x1500
A4 = 3800x2600

Bigger than that then...well you'd have to have a Jpeg that was many MBs in size.

tahrikmili said:
It's all good and all but why 80x60 and not 70x50? 80x60 is such an odd size to find frames for.. :/

Strange, 80x60cm frames are easy as pie to find in this neck of the woods (UK) In fact I popped to my local Asda tonight to grab a few A4 frames and they had 60x80 sat on the shelves for around £2.50.

Piscopink

thetrin said:

wallartex1.jpg

wallartex2.jpg

wallartex3.jpg

wallartex5.jpg

Nice work! Well done.

Framed game art rocks. You can print out 5x7's for .99 cents at the CVS instant photo machine.

Here are a few that I printed out but haven't had a chance to frame yet.

b3plif.jpg

33dif14.jpg

n1djme.jpg

ics65x.jpg

28jh5ld.jpg

21n1jti.jpg

dx0lfr.jpg

npeu6c.jpg

1649yx.jpg

29le6va.jpg

eXistor

I ordered the MI 1 and 2 ones yesterday online. Let's see if they' ll print them :)

@Jetsetmario: I love the Pikmin one, I used that as my wallpaper for a long time.

Top Bottom