• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evo PS3 - Online Locked to Registered User

Gowans

I've taken this point out of the Gamespot UK Review thread to discuss this point by iteself without all the review bickering.

Gamespot UK PS3 Online Details said:
It's also worth noting the online registration process, which locks your copy of the game to your Konami account for online play. This means that if you ever want to sell your copy of the game, the next person will be unable to play online unless he or she has your registration details.

Suprised I hadn't even heard about this

I sill can't believe the locking to account for online play, very dangerous precedent for consoles.

Is this a sign of the future in the fight against pre-owneds, following the PC model?

spwolf

_leech_ said:
Hopefully there'll be enough backlash and Konami will never do this again.

Konami did it for PS2 version before... you can give your account to someone else, it is just an PES account.

You can change the password and email is optional.

sk3tch

How do they accomplish this? A registration key inside every game?

That's the only way they could do it...BR discs aren't writable by the PS3, and your hard drive doesn't travel to other consoles. :)

knee

sk3tch said:
How do they accomplish this? A registration key inside every game?

That's the only way they could do it...BR discs aren't writable by the PS3, and your hard drive doesn't travel to other consoles. :)

What if someone wanted to change hard drives though? I'm looking at doing this myself and I wouldn't want to only be able to play on the old one.

Gowans

I just cant belive how shitty this is, really spitting in the face of the guys who need to pick it up cheap on preowned or need to trade in to get the next years version.

Also why have they done this on the PS3 but not the 360?
(Did MS had some balls telling them to jog on?)

Is this the benefit of the open infrastructure of PSN?

Maybe you guys in the US will get lucky when it comes out in March but this is nothing but bad news for the consumer overhere.

Wonder if it also means you can't trade these back in the main retail stores (like PC games)?

Steroyd

TBH I'm not even sure if it really does lock out like Gamespot says, they were a little bit innaccurate with some other of the PS3 features, so I won't believe them till someone else tries it, shame I know no-one with a PS3 + Internet connection.

SupahBlah

Banned
Ghost said:
I also noticed in GAME just now that the PS3 version is an extra £5...wtf?

PS3 games are more expensive, it was £40 for the 360 version of FIFA, I paid £50 for the ps3 version. (I actually used my HMV card to get it for £25)

spwolf

knee said:
What if someone wanted to change hard drives though? I'm looking at doing this myself and I wouldn't want to only be able to play on the old one.

it is not tied to your PS3...

if you give your PES account password and BD disc code to someone, they will be able to play the game.

Gowans

Using these methods to help cut down on the preowned games market is really just self defeating.

Games I cant trade back I'd be far less likely to buy, especially iterating sports games, if it became standard my games spending would drop rapidly (far more than what would be lost from my trading them back).

I dot think I'm alone here, at a time where games are struggling to find a greater market (cost being one factor) this is the last thing needed.

This type of thing could be the start of a big deal.

If someone buys a preowned version of this and its gimped also its a big deal for them. (or if it becomes unable to be traded back).

edit:

Also I forgot about renting you truly get the shaft.

Maybe you could work about by the renter registering it and sticking the ID in the box but who in hell wants to do that.

wow,

I have the 360 version but this is insane..

You'd almost think they knew people would bring it back or sell it so konami put them in a chokehold.

Gowans

Yeah you can use the registered ID for the game on any PS3 but who the hell wants to do that with the game.

I wouldn't want to depend on the details being scribbled down in the box or play on someone elses ID with their name and stats etc.

There is no way to justify this (for the consumer) guys its pure shite.

Thrakier said:
You CAN sell it, you just have to give your Password to the next guy. there is the problem!??

It's still an extra barrier if you sell the game, i don't think people want their information,stats and stuff in other peoples hands.

Thrakier

macksplack said:
It's still an extra barrier if you sell the game, i don't think people want their information,stats and stuff in other peoples hands.

Which information? It's just a Konami account! You can reset everything and make a default PW before you sell it. You can even delete your old account so no one can play with your name.

Gowans

Thrakier said:
Which information? It's just a Konami account! You can reset everything and make a default PW before you sell it. You can even delete your old account so no one can play with your name.

Exactly, great conformation of macksplacks point.

Thanks for pointing out how outrageously obsurd this is.

:D

Even if you can deregister your account before trading it in surely the shops that deal in trade ins won't be taking it since they couldn't be sure that the copy they would like to sell on is useless?

Unless it works some other way of course...someone would need to try it and find out what happens.

Thrakier said:

That's good news then, i thought the konami account was locked when you registered your account.

Sow we can agree this was useless implementation for konami?

M3d10n

This is something I expected to happen in console space someday: games packed with unique CD-keys for online play, PC-style.

When the sole and only way a game has to generate revenue is by first sale, and the pre-owned and rental markets being completely legal, nobody should be surprised by moves like this. If they start selling CD-keys directly at their website than can snag a few bucks from pre-owned buyers and even from some pirates.

Gowans

M3d10n said:
This is something I expected to happen in console space someday: games packed with unique CD-keys for online play, PC-style.

When the sole and only way a game has to generate revenue is by first sale, and the pre-owned and rental markets being completely legal, nobody should be surprised by moves like this. If they start selling CD-keys directly at their website than can snag a few bucks from pre-owned buyers and even from some pirates.

God that would be a terrible wound to my hobby and the amount of gaming I'd do.

I hope customers complain about this massivly and this thinking gets nipped in the bud as soon as possible.

I also hope the retailers also apply a little pressure to protect their preowned market (tho the state of that is a whole other thread entirely).

Surprised at GAFs apathy on this one or I'm I over reacting and have my knickers in a twist over not to much of a big deal?

At the moment it doesn't effect much of us but maybe this is the first step in consumer restriction in the current gen.

Skilletor

If game stores are aware of this, they won't let you trade the game in. It was the same way for FFXI (on ps2 and 360) and Everquest on ps2.

Gowans

Skilletor said:
If game stores are aware of this, they won't let you trade the game in. It was the same way for FFXI (on ps2 and 360) and Everquest on ps2.

yeah I dont think they expect it tho after a while when PES gets into the preorder channel and come returns/complaints come in I can see it happening.

Lightning

Banned
I don't see what the problem with this is? Just buy new copies of the game instead of buying cheap used copies. I always prefer new games anyway so this doesn't effect me at all.

Lightning said:
I don't see what the problem with this is? Just buy new copies of the game instead of buying cheap used copies. I always prefer new games anyway so this doesn't effect me at all.

Because everyone doesn't buy brand new games like you? Because many like to trade games back in without giving out logins and passwords with it?

Lightning said:
Not everyone can afford new, and supporting used games is what keeps many stores alive, not to mention traffic in games stores up.

Lightning

Banned
MWS Natural said:
Because everyone doesn't buy brand new games like you? Because many like to trade games back in without giving out logins and passwords with it?
Well, that's too bad. I approve of this move from Konami and hope more companies make it standard on all systems for all games.

spwolf

Gowans007 said:
yeah I dont think they expect it tho after a while when PES gets into the preorder channel and come returns/complaints come in I can see it happening.

its ze same as in PS2 version of PES 6... eh.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Lightning said:
Well, that's too bad. I approve of this move from Konami and hope more companies make it standard on all systems for all games.

Yes, a move that will most certainly make people think more than once before buying a game, and a move that most certainly will make many wait until it's in the budget range, that's obviously good for the sales. A low priced game isn't a problem as it was cheap and there's no trade in value.

How many 10-hour games will we see in the future bomb because of this, if it turned into a standard? Piracy would hit the roof!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Lé Blade Runner said:
This is just... Stupid.

Reminds me of the "You have 5 installs" -treatment Bioshock on PC got

However, the bioshock thing is truly bullshit, because eventually you will lose access to your game. With this, you will only lose online access, and that is assuming you lose your PSN account.

Gowans

Suikoguy said:
However, the bioshock thing is truly bullshit, because eventually you will lose access to your game. With this, you will only lose online access, and that is assuming you lose your PSN account.

Oh well online lose online no probs, nah its still complete BS for PS3 PES owners.
(would love to see what happens next year come tradein time for new version)

This was one of the reasons I put down to not buying loads of games on the PC as you cant rent or buy and return.

Maybe I just see the console space in a whole different light, maybe its because they have only gimped one version, maybe because it would kill the current way I experience my hobby as I enjoy it at the moment if it started happening more often.

as I've said maybe if you couldn't trade back games to count for money off the next game, I wound'nt buy nearly as many or just have a modded console for the non AAA games I want to play and Renting is shafted as well.

Its just the start of the same old DRM bullshit thats making it hard for the consumer.

DrXym

SupahBlah said:
PS3 games are more expensive, it was £40 for the 360 version of FIFA, I paid £50 for the ps3 version. (I actually used my HMV card to get it for £25)

PS3 games are not more expensive. Most 1st party titles are 60 euros (I'll use Euros since I'm in Ireland) with the rest hovering between 65 & 75 range. I suggest if GAME are charging more for the PS3 version, that you should look in another store since the chances are that the prices will be the same.

Looking up the UK prices, I can see that Play.com has PES 2008 for £39.99 and FIFA 08 at £24.99 for both versions. Since it is free delivery I suggest you buy there. I expect parity for most titles if they're released at the same time. I can understand why a title might be cheaper on one console if it has been out for a while before the other gets it. This is not the case for PES or FIFA.

I don't know why GAME has hiked PS3 prices. Perhaps the recent price drop means there are a lot of new owners to screw over with their first game purchase.

Truespeed

This is the future of software. You're not buying it, you're just leasing it until they determine when to expire it.

Top Bottom