• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer Reviews: Gamespot UK

squicken

Two different reviews.

PS3: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/pes2008/review.html?sid=6182062 6.0

Gamespot said:
At a time when many other rival sports games feature an assortment of online multimedia updates throughout the year, Konami's complete lack of extras feels backward in comparison. It's also worth noting the online registration process, which locks your copy of the game to your Konami account for online play. This means that if you ever want to sell your copy of the game, the next person will be unable to play online unless he or she has your registration details. To our knowledge this is the first time this has happened in a PS3 title, and Konami's UK office declined to respond to enquiries over why the system was implemented.

360: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/pes2008/review.html?sid=6182052 7.0

Gamespot said:
However, the Xbox 360 version does have some bonuses over the PlayStation 3 iteration. Firstly, it runs in 1080p, whereas the PlayStation 3 doesn't even support this display mode and is jerky even running in 720p. Secondly, you can use a Live Vision camera to scan logos and faces into the game, although the results are somewhat low-res in the game.
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008's graphics are all over the place. The Xbox 360 version has the appearance of an upscaled Xbox game, but apart from fewer jagged edges, there's little to show off the new console's power. It also looks more washed-out and less sharp than the PlayStation 3 version of the game.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Was not PES 6 on PS2 also using online registration codes that worked the same way as the PS3 version of PES 2008 this year ?
I never played PES 6 online, never bought it for PS2, so I would not know how to answer this question myself...
It is either old news... or... Entitlements ;)...

However, the Xbox 360 version does have some bonuses over the PlayStation 3 iteration. Firstly, it runs in 1080p, whereas the PlayStation 3 doesn't even support this display mode and is jerky even running in 720p.
Oh how the tables turn.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Visualante said:

I agree with you on the whole "presentation"+general visuals angle, but having played both FIFA '08 and PES 2008 on the PS3 (I own the latter and I played the former with friends at their place), I do prefer the gameplay of PES 2008.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
_leech_ said:
Online account locking? That's messed up :|
I don't understand. Does each copy of PS3 version comes with a unique activation key for on-line play?

Tieno

1)Why would you lock the online portion console game to a box? Is this a first?
2)Why only the ps3 version and not the 360 version?

Wtf?

Elios83

This year Konami did a terrible job, not only the game is still based on the PS2 version but it feels incredibly rushed.
EA wins this year and Konami knows it ( Seabass has been really apologetic in the recent interviews, promising substancial changes for next year which should bring the first truly next gen episode in the series).

Tieno said:
2)Why only the ps3 version and not the 360 version?

Wtf?
Because Live has a strict series of set standards required by Microsoft as part of the licensing agreement. Sony may have this but it obviously isn't asking for the same sort of infrastructure.

Is that even legal??

All the UK reviews of PES have said the game is a mess (The guardian review in front of me has given it 3/5)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Visualante said:
Because Live has a strict series of set standards required by Microsoft as part of the licensing agreement. Sony may have this but it obviously isn't asking for the same sort of infrastructure.

Not sure what you mean, but I think this is about the (relative) freedom of publishers to implement their own business models on PSN vs Live, not a technical/infrastructural issue.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
mr_bishiuk said:
Is that even legal??

All the UK reviews of PES have said the game is a mess (The guardian review in front of me has given it 3/5)

What is worse is that while the online portion is shit and graphics have their fair share of problems, the gameplay is IMHO considerably more enjoyable than PES 6 (I played it quite a bit on both PS2 and Xbox 360)... sigh :(...

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Visualante said:
Are you suggesting the "open" nature of PSN that many Sony fans touted as a feature might not be a good thing after all and may give the publishers an opportunity to screw customers?

easy, just kidding.

spwolf

Luckyman said:
:lol

Should i say it does not even run in 720p..

thats pretty funny... i wonder who wrote the review? up for being "1080p" and then complain it looks like upscaled xbox game? :lol

you can scan player faces in 360 but you cant import files :lol

Did some Fifa fan write these reviews?

llTll

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
Let's clear a point...

Was this the SAME online registration system already used for the PS2 version of the game thus locking the copies to users' profiles or... is this something maybe related to the patent I mentioned earlier in this thread (http://www.neogaf.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=32) ?
i really dont know about the ps2 version as i never had it. BUT in the PS3 version

there is code at the back of manual. each game has different code. so when you go online. it will ask you to register the code and put a password. once you register, you go to the lobby. put the code again. put the password. and you are online ready to play.

now if i take my copy to another console [ assuming i sold it to my friend ] my friend cant go online because he need my password i used to register [ because he will be asked to put the code and thr password ]

if he try to register the same code, it will give error says its already registered before.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
spwolf said:
thats pretty funny... i wonder who wrote the review? up for being "1080p" and then complain it looks like upscaled xbox game? :lol

Let's be nastier and say it was because of the IGN ads in the game :p.

:D.

Nah, Konami deserves some bashing... this is their second next-generation installment for the PES series (the Xbox 360 version does count).

llTll

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
What is worse is that while the online portion is shit and graphics have their fair share of problems, the gameplay is IMHO considerably more enjoyable than PES 6 (I played it quite a bit on both PS2 and Xbox 360)... sigh :(...

the online is not playable. i tried to play 4 games with people live close to me even. and i have good connection [ play all xbox live games np. even psn games like resistance etc ] the only problems i get while playing online is fighting games [ DOA only. tekken online is good ] and now this PES

the lag is really horrible.

spwolf

Panajev2001a said:

yes, it is considerably better gameplay wise than any game before...

spwolf

llTll said:
the online is not playable. i tried to play 4 games with people live close to me even. and i have good connection [ play all xbox live games np. even psn games like resistance etc ] the only problems i get while playing online is fighting games [ DOA only. tekken online is good ] and now this PES

the lag is really horrible.

apsolutly... there is some bug that gives you 3 sec lag when playing... they should fix it soon but it should be downrated for that.

llTll

Banned
spwolf said:

i dont know about the 360 version. but the PS3 version says at the back of the box 720P, no 1080P. not even upscaled [ unless the PS3 do the upscaling automaticly. but i highly doubt it ]

gofreak said:
Not sure what you mean, but I think this is about the (relative) freedom of publishers to implement their own business models on PSN vs Live, not a technical/infrastructural issue.
Yeah perhaps I chose my words poorly with infrastructure, but that's exactly what I meant.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
llTll said:
i really dont know about the ps2 version as i never had it. BUT in the PS3 version

there is code at the back of manual. each game has different code. so when you go online. it will ask you to register the code and put a password. once you register, you go to the lobby. put the code again. put the password. and you are online ready to play.

now if i take my copy to another console [ assuming i sold it to my friend ] my friend cant go online because he need my password i used to register [ because he will be asked to put the code and thr password ]

if he try to register the same code, it will give error says its already registered before.

Thanks for explaining this to people who do not have the game and/or have not gone through with the online registration process.

I am really interested to see if they already used the same mechanism on their previous online enabled PS2 titles or if developers are starting to pick up on the concept of "Entitlements" as that patent seemed to suggest.

spwolf

llTll said:
i dont know about the 360 version. but the PS3 version says at the back of the box 720P, no 1080P. not even upscaled [ unless the PS3 do the upscaling automaticly. but i highly doubt it ]

you dont get anything with upscaled 1080p... it is not an 1080p game - so it is silly to complain that PS3 game is 720p, when they say PS3 game looks better.

So making an statement like:
+ Its 1080p
- It looks worse than PS3 version which is only 720p

is just stupid.

What happened to the PS3 bonus PES that would catapult it to success in Europe. Even the 360 version scored poorly for the series, I expect better from PES.

Any news about the PS2 version, I quess it should be still godlike amongst the football games. Also, finnish gaming magazine Pelaaja had a really good interview with Seabass with really good questions like "Why does the next gen versions suck?" and "why are PS3 and XBOX360 versions really falling behind FIFA-series" instead of just the regular "What did you do better this time"-type of questions.

PetriP-TNT said:
Any news about the PS2 version, I quess it should be still godlike amongst the football games. Also, finnish gaming magazine Pelaaja had a really good interview with Seabass with really good questions like "Why does the next gen versions suck?" and "why are PS3 and XBOX360 versions really falling behind FIFA-series" instead of just the regular "What did you do better this time"-type of questions.

What did he answer to "why do the next-gen versions suck"?

spwolf

llTll said:
i agree. Fifa did amazing job really to the point i think i will go today and trade the PS3 version to Fifa.

well Fifa also looks like shit... assuming online lag and few jerks offline are fixed, PES 2008 is 10.00 game and Fifa is 7.5 game.

llTll

Banned
PetriP-TNT said:
care to type a lil of that interview here? i mean i really want to know what does he say about these questions you just posted

squicken

spwolf said:
you dont get anything with upscaled 1080p... it is not an 1080p game - so it is silly to complain that PS3 game is 720p, when they say PS3 game looks better.

So making an statement like:
+ Its 1080p
- It looks worse than PS3 version which is only 720p

is just stupid.

Pick your poison really. He complains about the PS3 version's framerate both online and offline.

Hopefully PES will be like Madden where the third time's the charm for getting it right.

FF_VIII

Banned
So I take it they gave PES 6 a worse score? Because this is twice the game.

Yes, the graphics are PS2 HD, but at least this years version brought back the edit mode and the ability to save replays. Not to mention the option files is now easier then ever.

When they patch the online the only thing you can complain about is the graphics. Gamplay is a realistic as ever and if they're trying to say Fifa is a more realistic experience then :lol Fifa is better in every way except the gameplay department and that's all that matters.

I'd really like to see what they gave PES6 to see if they just jumped on the bandwagon like they usually do and gave it a crap score.

Yes I really disagreed with that review, sorry for the rant..

spwolf

Visualante said:
8.5 on 360.

same on PS3... it might be best fifa ever, but it is shit gameplay wise.

As usual, I dont think any of its devs play or watch football a lot, since if they did, they would kno that whole point of football is not dribbling around.

Top Bottom