• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prodeus |OT| Rip & Tear... Those Retro Pixels

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
52383065195_feb83c83d1_h.jpg

General Information

Developer: Bounding Box Software Inc.
Publisher: Humble Games
Engine: Unity
Release date: 23.09.2022
Platforms: PC, MacOS, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Switch, Available on Game Pass
Genre: First-Person Shooter
Price: 24,99$ / 24,99€

System Requirements

Minimum:
Processor: CPU @ 2+ GHz, 4 cores
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVidia GTX 580 or AMD HD 7870
DirectX: Version 9.0
Storage: 4 GB available space

Recommended:
Processor: CPU @ 3+ GHz, 8 cores
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: NVidia GTX 1050 or AMD RX 560
DirectX: Version 10
Storage: 4 GB available space

About This Game

Prodeus is a first-person shooter of old, re-imagined using modern rendering techniques and technology. Experience the quality you’d expect from a modern AAA game, designed with retro aesthetics and gameplay that invoke the tech-imposed limits of older hardware. The game features a hand-crafted campaign from industry FPS veterans, co-op and competitive multiplayer play drawing on classic modes*, a fully integrated level editor, and a built-in community map browser for instantaneous action with nearly limitless levels to play.

Get ready to paint the walls red. This is the Boomer Shooter you’ve been waiting for.

Features

Retro look, modern era. Shooters past and present collide with graphics that combine today’s high-quality 3D tech with retro visuals. Experience over-the-top explosions of lo-fi pixels and hi-tech particle effects as you clash against the Prodeans and forces of Chaos.

editor_test_10.gif

Pure retro FPS chaos

Steel yourself for fast and frantic nonstop action. Blast and blaze your way through hordes of chaos-spawned creatures using an arsenal of classically over-the-top weapons.

editor_test_7a.gif

Raining red

Splatter the steel walls and alien halls with the blood of your enemies. Experience the gory thrills of the elder shooters, dialed up to 11 thanks to Prodeus’s delightfully demented dismemberment system.

editor_test_12.gif

Community-crafted levels

Unleash your inner map designer with Prodeus’s powerful but easy-to-use level editor, and keep the visceral combat fresh with a built-in browser filled with community-created maps.

editor_test_9.gif

Multiplayer Mayhem

Team up and go head-to-head in a variety of multiplayer modes. Take on the campaign in 4-player co-op, and dive into the fray in 16-player Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, CTF, and more—then take things to the next level by creating and sharing custom game modes.

Frag to the Music

Burst blood vessels listening to a supercharged metal soundtrack by retro FPS composer Andrew Hulshult that dynamically changes gears to accompany your actions.

Trailer

Screenshots

52380672663_753340248d_h.jpg

52380435601_fcec4ffc1e_h.jpg

52379499017_65a62a96cd_h.jpg

52382681615_0b282d8dc3_h.jpg

52382254046_e533e7b8f3_h.jpg

52381702467_c22cdd7c33_h.jpg

52390118867_500b60f147_o.png

52383442843_4a0e37f1f0_o.png

52386867452_b27c83b752_o.png

Social

Official Website: ProdeusGame
Twitter: ProdeusGame
Instagram: ProdeusGame

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

I'm having a blast with this game. So much that i slapped together this topic for everyone to share their impressions. If there is something wrong here or if i posted incorrect information than let me know.

Otherwise let's have fun!

Last edited:

Jennings

Curious to know how good the game feels on controller. I'd buy this on Xbox if it feels good (like DOOM or Halo Infinite).

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Curious to know how good the game feels on controller. I'd buy this on Xbox if it feels good (like DOOM or Halo Infinite).
It feels very good. Controls are also quite customizable. Definitely up there with some of the better shooters in terms of controllability with a controler.

01011001 01011001 also wrote in the Retro Shooter thread...
Prodeus makes a very strong first impression.

just as a small PSA, they mislabeled Look Acceleration in this game.
what the devs here call "Look Acceleration" is actually the reaction curve! so no need to turn that off completely.
I personally use 0.40, which vaguely resembles the reaction curve I use in Apex Legends.

the only issue on controller that I personally have with it is that the look sensitivity settings could be higher. I have it on 10.0 and it's a tad to slow for my tastes, but that's not a big issue.

I would recommend to reduce the Stick Dead Zone to 0 tho unless your controller has a worn out stick. even at 0 I feel a bit of a deadzone

al in all tho, yet another small indy dev getting the aiming in a shooter right, while Bungie, 343i and others can't be bothered to enter this decade of controller aiming yet

edit: small nitpick, your aim speed doesn't adjust when aiming down sights for secondary fire modes, which can be jarring since you are switching to a narrower FOV while still having your normal turn speed.

also the aim assist is crap and I turned that off immediately, ruined multiple shots by locking to the wrong enemy

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I didn't like it that much. Good game but not great, compared to other retro shooters(like Amid Evil, Ashes 2063, Nightmare Reaper, Ion Fury etc).

winjer

Gold Member
I've been playing it during the last few days. And I'm having a lot of fun.
Truly great stuff and one of the very best retro shooters.

I do have a few nitpicks.
The save system is very lacking.
The level to buy weapons should be a menu. As is, it's just a waste of time to go through it just to buy something.
And trials suck ass. I hate them.
MP is pointless. They should have made more levels for the campaign instead of wasting time with this.

Con-Z-epT

Although the video is about two years old it still gives a good impression of the different visual settings. There are more filters in there that are not present in the video.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Bought! Will jump once I finish Ion Fury.

Edit: sad to hear about the MP being dead, would have been fun to have some clssic DM mayhem.

IIRC there was a map editor inside the game, right? Are people making their own maps or is that kinda dead too?

I could see myself wasting some time with that editor, sounds fun.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Did it leave early access already? I played through whatever levels were available a couple of months ago and it was awesome. The amount of gore rivals Brutal Doom and I love the sci-fi aesthetic and the fact that you can toggle between polygonal and 2D sprite models for enemies. It's a nice touch because there are just sooo many of these indie shooters which feature only 2D sprites so it's nice to have a game that tries to go a couple of years forward with its retro style and into the Quake 1 era.

I love the soundtrack too. Coupled with the sound effects it's like an orgy of violence and it's glorious.

Sygma

Game is basically classic Doom mechanically, but it doesn't have anything interesting going for it. Enemy density is lacking, too much ammo everywhere yadda yadda. Like if I wanted Doom, I'd have played Doom

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
How's the difficulty so far bros? Is is challenging enough?

Did it leave early access already? I played through whatever levels were available a couple of months ago and it was awesome. The amount of gore rivals Brutal Doom and I love the sci-fi aesthetic and the fact that you can toggle between polygonal and 2D sprite models for enemies. It's a nice touch because there are just sooo many of these indie shooters which feature only 2D sprites so it's nice to have a game that tries to go a couple of years forward with its retro style and into the Quake 1 era.

I love the soundtrack too. Coupled with the sound effects it's like an orgy of violence and it's glorious.
I love the look of the game, and imo the 2D sprites are very well done, unlike other games where they look like cardboard cut outs.

Excuse my ignorance but is there a difference between Game Pass on PC compared to the Xbox? 22•22 22•22 mentioned that he couldn't find it on Game Pass while using the Series S.
Different catalog of games between Xbox and PC.

TintoConCasera

Gave this a go.

Immediately fell in love with how the game looks. Sprite work is amazing, love how the weapons are animated and those pixelated smoke effects are *chef kiss*.

Only played through the first level, but so far this feels like classic DOOM on steroids. Pretty cool game.

Apocryphon

Great OP! The game looks fantastic!

e: Oooh, and certified Gold on protondb
Yeah, I bought it early on and it runs like an absolute dream on Steam Deck
Gave this a go.

Immediately fell in love with how the game looks. Sprite work is amazing, love how the weapons are animated and those pixelated smoke effects are *chef kiss*.

Only played through the first level, but so far this feels like classic DOOM on steroids. Pretty cool game.
That's what I get from the game too. It feels like Brutal Doom. I like to think that if id had made Doom III instead of Quake in 1995/6 that it would have looked something like this.

I hope they put out mission packs of some sort because I don't want to want 2-3 years to play more of it.

Apocryphon

Same it looks awesome but the guns feel kinda shitty
The pistol, shotgun, and grenade launcher do feel a bit off, but the secondary fire for the shotgun feels good and the shredders, super shotgun, minigun, rocket launcher, and plasma gun feel great. The arc rails primary is fine I guess, but the secondary is excellent.

Business

This thing was completely off my radar. Feels totally 90's and I love it.

Edit: Anyone knows how does it run on Switch, or I will have to Steam it?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

So far there are two things I don't quite like:
  • Game seems to have a LOT of weapons compared to DOOM. I'm not sure if I'll like having so many options, and I'm worried about some weapons becoming useless once you find a better one. In DOOM every weapon was useful.
  • The automap SUCKS. Slow controls and I can't tell shit.
Those are just some nitpicks tho. Game is great so far.

The pistol, shotgun, and grenade launcher do feel a bit off
Really? For me the shotgun itself feels real nice. The enemies are a bit spongey tho, but I guess that's compensated with the shotgun's secondary fire.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

So far there are two things I don't quite like:
  • Game seems to have a LOT of weapons compared to DOOM. I'm not sure if I'll like having so many options, and I'm worried about some weapons becoming useless once you find a better one. In DOOM every weapon was useful.
  • The automap SUCKS. Slow controls and I can't tell shit.
Those are just some nitpicks tho. Game is great so far.

Really? For me the shotgun itself feels real nice. The enemies are a bit spongey tho, but I guess that's compensated with the shotgun's secondary fire.
It's the range. Up close it's great but at any kind of range it feels too weak. It's obviously by design, but the shotguns in Doom and Quake are viable at range, but Prodeus's feels mode like Doom 3's. It makes up for it with the alt-fire and there are plenty of other medium-long ranged options so it's not a problem, but it isn't going to end up on any 'best FPS shotgun' lists.

John Bilbo

Is there some way to upgrade the weapons? There are some collectibles in the levels and a load out screen in the world map screen, but I haven't found a way to spend the collectibles.

Con-Z-epT

Is there some way to upgrade the weapons? There are some collectibles in the levels and a load out screen in the world map screen, but I haven't found a way to spend the collectibles.
There is a shop where you can buy new weapons and upgrades for traversal. The load out screen is just a summary of what you got i think.

Banned
as someone who learned to love boomer shooters fairly recently, I love to see that this renaissance is happening.

fights like these

the secrets and platforming (the latter of which I know is a controversial topic)

The Simpsons Beer GIF

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

the secrets and platforming (the latter of which I know is a controversial topic)
There is definitely an emphasis on traversal here and the level layout provides a lot of room to cut corners and find interesting ways through the layout of the stages. I haven't unlocked the additional traversal mechanics so i'm not sure how they will play into it.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
It's the range. Up close it's great but at any kind of range it feels too weak. It's obviously by design, but the shotguns in Doom and Quake are viable at range, but Prodeus's feels mode like Doom 3's. It makes up for it with the alt-fire and there are plenty of other medium-long ranged options so it's not a problem, but it isn't going to end up on any 'best FPS shotgun' lists.

The quad shotgun does

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Been playing this on and off for an age now. Best retro style shooter yet imo, and i have played them all.
The sound design and gore, unmatched. Also use the sprites, not the 3D models, it looks so much better imo.
i want those voxel based models in this , similar to the one used in a recent doom mod

Top Bottom