• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prodeus (PC/PS4/XBO/Switch) announced - A mix of Doom 2016 and Strafe

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Recently announced. Made by two guys under the name of Bounding Box Software. Consensus is quite clearly you love it or you hate it. Love it, because its effectively Doom 2016 in terms of gameplay with pixel visuals ala Strafe, or Hate it, as you can also say its just a modern game running at the lowest resolution scaler without AA. Thus results may vary.

This will launch in 2019 for PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and - Surprise! - Switch. Runs on Unity Engine. Personally i love that it feels like Doom, Brutal Doom even, and the animation reload times are very sprite-like as in they are a bit jumpy similar to shooters from the 90s. The Metroid like HUD is nice too.

Info (Includes GIFS):
Prodeus is the first person shooter of old, re-imagined using modern rendering techniques. It reaches the quality you expect from a AAA experience while adhering to some of the aesthetic technical limits of older hardware.

Our Art Style:
  • High Quality 3D Retro Aesthetic
  • A focus on over the top visual effects.
  • Awesome dismemberment system
  • Infinite blood (go crazy, paint the walls red!)
editor_test_10.gif

Gameplay:
  • Fast pace action
  • Hellish destruction
  • Dynamic Soundtrack
  • Visceral and engaging combat scenarios
  • Heavy duty weaponry
  • A multitude of secrets to discover
editor_test_7a.gif

editor_test_12.gif

Replayability:
  • Continuous support
  • User generated content
  • Easy to use Level Editor
editor_test_9.gif

The Team:

Prodeus is being developed by Michael Voeller and Jason Mojica of Bounding Box Software who have a combined 25 years FPS development experience, along with talented freelance artists and designers.

Trailer:

Screens:
ss_b4c230a9a6a3244a29ad8b1642029d5d560cba5d.jpg

ss_b4c230a9a6a3244a29ad8b1642029d5d560cba5d.jpg

ss_604e605553221959018f7782d0a77663e49be392.jpg

ss_7f1cb100c553cf1cbae3d0406c639a8d830a116d.jpg

ss_6055bcbdc6c9eb1c2e2b2ebd9dcf4a3791b2a304.jpg

ss_fcfd1f98aec9902f096602f26ae2b92e2253c8c4.jpg

ss_688e48e7b3e73493405d76609badb28c07d9a33b.jpg

ss_4ed199232c22444455eeb7f2308f4fbadb02bc63.jpg

ss_5e240fe62d9eb0266fc77486ab28c6a08d568c86.jpg
Steam:

Last edited:
I don't mind violent games, but this kind of looks like so much gore in your face that it's hard to see the screen sometimes. That doesn't seem good.

stranno

It looks good but it should be less pixelated and that dot-matrix-filter-thing should be removed. I know they want to give the game that retro vibe but Quake in software mode looked way less pixelated than that. It doesnt feel like an old game, more like a resized GBA FPS.

Redneckerz

It looks good but it should be less pixelated and that dot-matrix-filter-thing should be removed. I know they want to give the game that retro vibe but Quake in software mode looked way less pixelated than that. It doesnt feel like an old game, more like a resized GBA FPS.
It seems more like a filter than a inherent gritty design like the original Quake was. Then again, they are attempting to do that with a futuristic theme like Doom.

Honestly it amazes me how much it clones Doom 2K16, intermixed with some Brutal Doom stuff. If it plays like that, then this could be a sleeper hit. Surprised it is hitting all consoles aswell - Courtesy i reckon of the long experience of both the devs, since they worked for Bluepoint, Overkill, iD Software and Raven Software and had Payday 2 and Uncharted among other titles underneath their belts.

I supposed that's why it looks so polished (No pun intended) for an indie title.

Gold_Loot

That looks pretty damn sweet. Hopefully the final product holds up well. Still kind of bummed that Strafe was somewhat of a dud.

I’ll keep an eye on this one.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I find those helmet HUDs obnoxious, but this game looks pretty fun. Dig the visuals.

Redneckerz

Nice darker colour pallette. Those old Doom games from the 90s should have been like this.
Essentially its what Brutal Doom achieved back in 2011. BD is very popular among younger gamers, but oldbies may find it too hectic, if they aren't talking about the personal issues with its creator.

Yay, they remastered Rise of the Triad.
Unironically there was a ROTT in 2013:

Looks awesome thanks for posting this.
No problem, ill keep on the lookout for more!

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
To me it looks like playing something with Doom 3-esque graphics in a really low resolution. Games like Ion Maiden obviously get the retro look more properly by uh, being in actual retro engines, lol. I'm not fond of this visually but gameplay wise it looks alright unlike Strafe which I ended up not enjoying. Although as others said they do need to tone down the blood sprays.

Dusk however has to be the most successful effort yet, it feels like Quake's long lost brother (it also has filters that make it look low res like that or with a limited palette but I prefer playing it sharp like I'd play Quake nowadays.

Top Bottom