• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton 2 Viral Marketing Bombshell: The Twitter Account Wasn't Real :(

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Yes, the thread title is intentionally dramatic. But... it's the TRUTH. The best piece of Nintendo marketing in a while... wasn't. It was just a fan production (read from bottom to top):
Then we did our job. Until tomorrow, students. It as an honor.2 minutes ago from web

We hope this garnered the hype Nintendo needed behind this new Professor Layton title and if even one of you fell in love with the series...3 minutes ago from web

I would also like to thank the two gentlemen who portrayed Chemley and Paolo though I never found out who they were. I was also Flora.half a minute ago from web

Will Thompson of Infendo.com was the man behind Luke's Twitter.1 minute ago from web

This was in no way affiliated with Nintendo and while we asked for their permission, we never received a response.2 minutes ago from web

My name is Roger DiLuigi. I am a game journalist and I was proud to bring you all the character of Professor Layton.3 minutes ago from web

My administrator has a final note for you all.4 minutes ago from web

Until then, Flora, Luke and I must bid you all a fond farewell! Have a lovely summer!13 minutes ago from web

Thank you all for following and for your support! Please check out Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box when it releases August 24!13 minutes ago from web

I have a rather sad and sudden announcement. I must regrettably inform you that I must bid you all ado once and for all.14 minutes ago from web

This topic is going to get interesting. Wow.

I was very sad it turned out to be a hoax. I love how two others joined in on the fun and the original guy didn't even know who they were

Wii Will Rock U said:
According to Luke's Twitter, Don Paolo kidnapped Layton and Flora:

ApprenticeLuke: Everyone!! The @TopHatProfessor is missing!! So is Flora! I have no idea where they are! I need to contact @SombreInspector for help!!
41 minutes ago from TwitterFox in reply to TopHatProfessor

ApprenticeLuke: I found the professors pocket watch on the floor with a note sticking out of it. "It reads you have 36 hours." 36 hours!? @TopHatProfessor!!
29 minutes ago from TwitterFox in reply to TopHatProfessor

:lol

And from Don Paolo's page:

DonofScience: Haha! While you were all working on my puzzle, you failed to notice Layton is missing! My diversion was successful!
7 minutes ago from web

DonofScience: You all have 36 hours to solve my puzzles! If you do, I will free Layton! Watch this space!
1 minute ago from web

This is the Best. Viral. Marketing. EVER.

Apparently all the people following the characters need to solve Don Paolo's riddle or Layton is a goner.
Keep tootin that horn

DanteFox

ahahahaha
Wii Will Rock U said:
So apparently, someone has set up a Twitter page for the character Professor Layton under the name TopHatProfessor and through several "tweets" issued throughout each day, the Professor has been reflecting on life, making jokes about Smash Bros., giving advice on how to be a gentleman and very recently has been duking it out with his rival Don Paolo in riddle battles and has been answering other Tweeter's questions.

http://twitter.com/TopHatProfessor

On top of all that, there are Twitters for Luke, Inspector Chemley, and Don Paolo. All of them seem to be very well done and all of them are in character.

Luke: http://twitter.com/ApprenticeLuke
Inspector Chemley: http://twitter.com/SombreInspector
Don Paolo: http://twitter.com/DonofScience

The character's latest Tweet however, is the reason I am making this thread. It seems that a "mysterious package" was sent to the character and now his Twitter is no longer responding to messages.

Here are his latest Tweets:

And like five minutes later, this Tweet was sent to my phone:

What happened to the Professor? Why is Don Paolo still sending diabolical riddles to Layton and why is Luke not responding to all this?

Clearly the page has been set up to generate hype for the upcoming Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box game for DS (which comes out in August) but I'd be damned if anyone could find a cooler group of Twitter pages. At this point, it looks like Nintendo is trying to set up an online mystery surrounding Layton in order to make even more hype for the game.

The hell? Has anyone else been following this?
:lol

Grandjedi you are amazing.

scy

On one hand, I'm all "DAMN YOU TWITTER" and on the other, I'm entertained. I think I'll just munch popcorn angrily at myself at this revelation.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Cat in the Hat said:
A gaffer is to blame, he is around here somewhere.
Who's to blame who though; the GAF user who created the Twitter and then proceeded to yap about it in his own thread, or the GAF users who weren't sleuth enough to look under the windshields?

Detective work, outside of grandjedi in this thread, has gotten slack in its old age on GAF.

TopHatProfessor Damn, I really feel that I'm about to cry. I became so attached to the character that I am slowly becoming him...

shuri

Banned
Wow,

Revealing who he really was is like the dumbest move ever. Nothing says more professional than faking a twitter as being some sort of pseudo official thing for Nintendo.

I can't believe he revealed his name.

shuri said:
Revealing who he really was is like the dumbest move ever. Nothing says more professional than faking a twitter as being some sort of pseudo official thing for Nintendo.
Actually we asked for permission and since we didn't get it, we shut it down.

shuri said:
Wow,

He did it for the eFame. Check his new twitter page

http://twitter.com/RogersBase

# Bio Game Journalist and the Man Behind TopHatProfessor

Ca1amity

Neo Member
haha marketing your own viral marketing virally? That is meta impressiveness.

Hats off to him and the random strangers that decided to join in - I actually really enjoyed it, official marketing or no. Riddles werent matchstick-dog hard but it was a nice diversion in my twitter feed. Although, following like 5 accounts was a bit much (I only ever grabbed the prof and lukes streams)

SirPenguin said:
He did it for the eFame. Check his new twitter page

http://twitter.com/RogersBase

# Bio Game Journalist and the Man Behind TopHatProfessor
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Hardly.

My e-fame was already cemented from the Gold and Silver leaks and the NEOgaf Youtube video.

This was only done because the Layton series needed more attention.

PS: Just took out the links to my new page.

Masked Man

I said wow
Edgeworth.gif

shuri said:
Wow,

He could have done far worse.

Wii Will Rock U said:
My e-fame was already cemented from the Gold and Silver leaks and the NEOgaf Youtube video.

Nothing lasts forever, be careful.

Wii Will Rock U said:

Hardly.

:lol from the Gold and Silver leaks and the NEOgaf Youtube video.

:lol you're so special

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wii Will Rock U said:

Hardly.

picard-facepalm.jpg

Wii Will Rock U said:

Hardly.

The collapse of the ego is a painful thing to watch. Sorry bro, but this was a pretty big landmine you stepped on.

What kills me is you did everything right except for the end! I did enjoy the Twitter exchanges. But trying to propel your eFame is just so...man. Pitiful!

Top Bottom