• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS) Official Thread

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
WORLDWIDEWII said:
i never done it before, so how do i connect to N WFC?
From the start of the in-game menu, click bonuses and then select your file. After that, select the weekly puzzle icon and configure your Wi-Fi settings (You need a compatible router to do this). After that, just download the puzzle.

Volcynika

Should be a WFC connection option or somewhere in the game (if it's like all the others) Then if you have a wireless router that's compatible or the Nintendo WiFi USB dongle, you should be able to connect.

I'm actually getting this game as a gift this weekend, all the crazy puzzles and good impressions make me happy, since I've been needing a new reason to pick up the ole DS.

Stencil

I just got this game last week. I was at literally the last puzzle ( I believe, the '33333!' one) before the end of the game, bell rang, put the DS in my pocket and I pulled it out when I got home to find the cart had been ejected.

I was pissed.

The game wasn't for me though, I don't think. Loved the story, LOVED the art style, but too many brain teasers. It was my own fault for buying it though, I fully knew that that's what it was all about.

I traded it in for Elite Beat Agents

tabsina

just completed the game (all 135 and the weekly).. i was able to do all but 2 without the internets to help me (chocolate code and royal escape were too much for me to handle), anyone know if something special happens once you finish all the puzzles? i'm assuming not..

final time was around 15hours, can't wait for the weekly puzzles to continue rolling in (hoping they are as challenging as the first one)

ROFL.. i just triggled the ending sequence again.. and the part where you have to find the golden apple on the portrait painting.. i pushed the spot with my finger rather than the stylus, and layton says "Now, Luke, it's important to be a gentleman".. it took me about 10 seconds to realise that it thought i was trying to click her breast

tabsina

Cyan said:
Is there a Euro release date yet? I was hoping to get this for my sister's bday, but she's over in Ireland so her DS is European.

Maybe I'll go with a Phoenix Wright game. Or Puzzle Quest.

DS is region free, i live in australia (we get the same deal as europe) and am playing with the american version

the-iek

tabsina said:
just completed the game (all 135 and the weekly).. i was able to do all but 2 without the internets to help me (chocolate code and royal escape were too much for me to handle), anyone know if something special happens once you finish all the puzzles? i'm assuming not..

final time was around 15hours, can't wait for the weekly puzzles to continue rolling in (hoping they are as challenging as the first one)

dude, spoilers!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The second weekly puzzle was incredibly easy.

Just thought I'd mention that on Friday, Nintendo had a Layton truck hanging outside of GDC. The other side of it had a larger TV screen and it was playing the intro movie. They also had chickies wearing those TV vest things and passing out post cards with different characters on them showing off some different puzzles. I thought it was totally rad.

2289950821_1efed678f9.jpg

Otherwise, I beat the main portion of the game today but I still have the Layton Challenges to do. I was very happy watching the final cinematics. It just felt good, even if I did get a little pissy with some of the puzzles.

Tenbatsu

Completed the game yesterday and managed to find all the puzzles in the game, really awesome game, currently its 2008 game of the year for me. Cant wait for its sequel and the password to unlock the hidden stuff in this.

Bought this for my GF yesterday. Hooooly fuck did we have a good time playing it. Totally shocked by this one. Great for newcomers because the puzzles aren't "videogame" puzzles.

Great fun for two people. It's fun to talk out each problem.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
PolyGone said:
so I just beat Phantom Hourglass and this is my next DS game. How long does it take to beat? (I beat PH in 6 days)

About 10 hours playtime, not including times you might turn the system off from frustration

DON'T USE WALKTHROUGH! It destroys the game

Use hints sparingly, I beat the entire game no walkthrough no hint-coins used

Following these 2 tips makes the game 1000000 times better than imaginable

All in all maybe 13-15 hours if your bad at puzzles, drastically less if your really good :)

dyls

civilstrife said:
Bought this for my GF yesterday. Hooooly fuck did we have a good time playing it. Totally shocked by this one. Great for newcomers because the puzzles aren't "videogame" puzzles.

Great fun for two people. It's fun to talk out each problem.

Agreed. My wife and I ended up doing a number of the puzzles together and had a great time.

Finished the game last night, totally loved it and can't wait for the sequel. The cinematics, characters, and voice acting really brought it up to a great level. A special kudos to Treehouse for once again proving why they are the best in the localization business. Have they ever done less than a stellar job?

Probably my favorite game of 2008 so far, and definitely the one that had me the most hooked. From when I started until last night, the DS was never out of my possession—first time since Picross DS (which gobbled up more of my wife's and my time than I'd like to admit).

jibblypop

Banned
This is the best game I've played in a long time! I'm about 80 puzzles in and it's just fantastic! Some of the puzzles get me for hours!
I hope they make it like phoenix wright and don't take too long to bring the sequel over! :D

i think this is my favourite ds game. and my girlfriend is completely, hopelessly hooked on it, and she doesn't even like games really.

apujanata

eudaemonic said:
Just thought I'd mention that on Friday, Nintendo had a Layton truck hanging outside of GDC. The other side of it had a larger TV screen and it was playing the intro movie. They also had chickies wearing those TV vest things and passing out post cards with different characters on them showing off some different puzzles. I thought it was totally rad.

2289950821_1efed678f9.jpg

Otherwise, I beat the main portion of the game today but I still have the Layton Challenges to do. I was very happy watching the final cinematics. It just felt good, even if I did get a little pissy with some of the puzzles.

No chickies picture ? Tsk Tsk Tsk.

God, I can't wait for this game to arrive, just got a DS with Final Fantasy 3 and while that is fantastic little gem, I just can't stand all of the positive reactions about Layton.

Play-Asia shipped it exactly one week ago, it better arrive very very soon :(.

SHI----

yesterday, i was struggling with the Princess in a Box 1 puzzle, eventually after half an hour or so, i finally got the red box to the right, i dont know how, i had like 300+ turns to do that. Anyways, after that, i had to sleep, so i put my DS on sleep mode and just continue tomorrow. I woke up this morning and i accidently switched off my DS, without saving!! Gah, i am so stupid!!! Now i have to figure out how to do that stupid puzzle again!

It's a force of habit that when i pick up my DS Lite, i switch it on before i open it up :(

webrunner

Just picked up my copy this weekend. I used to own a Mindtrap set so this is pretty much up my alley..

Canadian FYI: It's $30 at Walmart and Futureshop/Bestbuy, but $35 at eb.. so if you're planning on buying it, don't go to EB.

webrunner

We need an animated gif of that angry guy. Or at least a screenshot of when you first meet him, his dialog would go so well for an image macro.

I bought this game for commuting and air, but I was visiting my parents the other day with my girlfriend, and both my Dad (who only ever liked Myst, Age of Empires II, and that horrible Titanic PC game) became obsessed with the puzzles in the game. And my girlfriend - who's a fifth grade teacher - also enjoyed it all around.

I don't know why, but I always feel as if though I have to legitimize gaming to them as something that I shouldn't have left in college, so I was very happy.

Thanks Professor!

135/135 with no outside help in 12 hours and 1 minute. :) Awesome game. There were a few puzzles that were kind of dumb or worded badly, but I can't wait for the sequel.

One that I kind of want to complain about that no one has mentioned yet is
"The Sound of Silence". I caught onto it after one or two wrong answers, but to me, a silent letter does not change the sound of a word at all. For example, the "g" in "gnat" is silent. I don't really consider letters "silent" if they change the sound of a word. For example, the "e" in "note" (because without the "e" it's a different word)

Junior Asparagus said:
135/135 with no outside help in 12 hours and 1 minute. :) Awesome game. There were a few puzzles that were kind of dumb or worded badly, but I can't wait for the sequel.

One that I kind of want to complain about that no one has mentioned yet is
"The Sound of Silence". I caught onto it after one or two wrong answers, but to me, a silent letter does not change the sound of a word at all. For example, the "g" in "gnat" is silent. I don't really consider letters "silent" if they change the sound of a word. For example, the "e" in "note" (because without the "e" it's a different word)

Uhm, yeah, that was the point of the puzzle?

silent letters don't change the sound of the word, so note does not contain the 'sound' of silence.

Allthough I only got that one through trail & error. :p

The
chocolate puzzle hints geared me towards the nearest keyboard. So I tried my mobile phone and had to use of FAQ in the end. I just didn't notice the bitemarks on it AT ALL. :(

Btw, what's up with the "hidden room" (under bonus menu: needs string code from sequel)? Sneaky banjo-kazooie reference?

Received it yesterday. I'm really loving the overall atmosphere and the character designs. I've played it for about 5 hours now and I've found and solved 35 puzzles.

My only gripe with the game so far is that some puzzles don't make any sense to me without using hints.
Like the one with the Dad who's just as old as his 22 yo son, plus half of his own age. Seriously WTF? When I bought the first hint everything became obvious though. But I hate that without the hint the riddle didn't make any sense to me.
And there's been a few others. Maybe I'm just stupid though.

I'm surprised my dad even tried to help me solve
Digital Digits, ''how many times will the clock display three or more of the same number in a row over the course of one day''. Yeah that one was great fun, and we kept getting ''Incorrect'' :lol Great fun
. He doesn't even like videogames, hell he hates 'em. I love it when my family likes videogames because usually the don't.

Zeitgeister said:
Uhm, yeah, that was the point of the puzzle?

silent letters don't change the sound of the word, so note does not contain the 'sound' of silence.

That's not what the puzzle said.
You were supposed to find the word that does not have any silent letters, which was "rest". Off the top of my head, some of the other words that contained "silent" letters were: note, scale, and rhythm. Like I said, the "e" DOES change the sound of "note", therefore, it is not silent. I'm not sure there were any words in the puzzle that had truly silent letters, at least from my perspective.

webrunner

I think it's interesting the kind of responses people have to this game.. I wonder if we can keep a scorecard

# of people:
- Blamed the puzzle
- felt like an idiot
- Gave up early

etc.

Edit: I do think the game could have helped by having a 'notepad' button in the puzzle screens. Sometimes you could write stuff down on the screen itself, but if there were 'answer' buttons you couldn't, and if you had to circle something you can't keep the scribbles.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I love this game so, so much. We gave it 5/5, and although I wasn't the one to review it, I would have given it the same score.

MORE PLEASE.

tabsina

Junior Asparagus said:
That's not what the puzzle said.
You were supposed to find the word that does not have any silent letters, which was "rest". Off the top of my head, some of the other words that contained "silent" letters were: note, scale, and rhythm. Like I said, the "e" DOES change the sound of "note", therefore, it is not silent. I'm not sure there were any words in the puzzle that had truly silent letters, at least from my perspective.

i don't know.. i always thought that
silent letters were silent letters if you couldn't hear the sound of that letter in any given word.. whether or not it changes the sound of the word is irrelevant.. so although the 'e' in note changes the pronounciation of the word, the actual letter is still a silent letter given you can't hear it in the word... thats my understanding anyways

Just finished it last night, a truly wonderful experience. I'm eagerly looking forward to more Professor Layton. I hope NOA localizes the Layton side story that was distributed at TGS last year, I must play it.

scottnak

Finished it with 14 hrs! Finished the 2 dL'd puzzles too. 1 was a nice challenge, 2 was unhappily disappointingly easy...

Awesome game. Can't wait to get more!! Get that sequel out now!!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Beat the game just now. 10 hours, 2 minutes. I still have I think 17 puzzles in the village to solve, and then all the extra challenging puzzles. And then the WiFi puzzles after that. Yay!

Finished the game last night. What a downer of a story. Man, it was so good though. I think I have 115 puzzles, so that leaves a few more to search for. Can not wait until the next game. Seriously, this is one of the best times I have ever had. Plus those cutscenes, impressive. Yeah, sad that I cannot continue the adventures of Luke and Layton at this very moment!

16 hrs by the way.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Got this today. I think I'll finish Phoenix Wright 3 before popping this in, and before moving on to Apollo Justice.

jibblypop

Banned
wow what a game! finally finished!

I used a guide for 12 puzzles though... i wish i wouldn't have.. but still solving all the other puzzles was very satisfying!

the first wi-fi one was really good and difficult too! although the 2nd wi-fi one was too easy. maybe they want to go back and forth between easy and difficult ones so that everyone has a chance to solve some downloadable ones

to anyone on the fence: buy this game!

tabsina said:
i don't know.. i always thought that
silent letters were silent letters if you couldn't hear the sound of that letter in any given word.. whether or not it changes the sound of the word is irrelevant.. so although the 'e' in note changes the pronounciation of the word, the actual letter is still a silent letter given you can't hear it in the word... thats my understanding anyways

I agree;
The 'e' is indeed silent. A silent letter means a letter you don't pronounce. The fact that it changes the pronunciation of other letters is totally irrelevant.

SockBoy

Wow, what a great game. Just finished puzzles 134 and 135 today. 135 itself took me a good 3-4 hours to figure out over the course of three days. Probably my 2nd favourite DS game after NSMB. Can't wait for the sequel!!

nli10

duckroll said:
Just picked this up today. Holy shit the localization is SOLID. Very,very happy with it. ^_^

If you are England English the accent of Luke is all over the place! Are you cockney or are you posh? DECIDE LUKE, DECIDE AND STICK TO IT!!!

The Professor has odd intonation in places but is generally good.

Otherwise fab game, limited myself to chapter 1 so far, all these 12-15 hour times worry me - this has to last me two 10 hour flights!

Ed: just got DL puzzles for the first time and it gave me BOTH. Fantastic - thought that i'd only get this weeks. AND its an import and it didn't care!

nli10 said:
If you are England English the accent of Luke is all over the place! Are you cockney or are you posh? DECIDE LUKE, DECIDE AND STICK TO IT!!!

Yeah, Luke's voice is shit. I was kind of forgiving of it at first but thinking about it, whoever did the voice should be fired.

Top Bottom