• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project AM2R getting legally slammed by Nintendo; file hosts hit with DMCA notices

Gaffers in the main thread indicated we need a new thread for this so here it is.

Basically the summary is this: Metroid Database which is a popular Metroid fan site got hit with a questionable takedown notice by Nintendo's lawyers to which they weren't entirely sure if it was legit or not. Project AM2R's main development blog and creator remained unaffected so Modbot closed the other thread given we were reporting not entirely accurate info.

Then this happened:

File Removed for Violation.
The file you requested has been removed from MediaFire for a violation of our Terms of Service.

This file has been taken down by:

File Name: AM2R_10.zip (71.55 MB)

Company: Nintendo of America Inc
Email: dmca@millernash.com

Still have questions, or think we've made a mistake? Please contact support for further assistance.

Mediafire was hit and then Filedropper too:

This file has been removed due to copyright claims by Nintendo.

Project AM2R's comment section and forum is now exploding with comments:

Links are down! Get it via Torrent if it's still available, and do it ASAP!

And...Nintendo just took it down...Because it's Nintendo.

Oh my god! Your link is dead! I can't download the game! Please reupload!

Basically all we're waiting on now is a post or comment/tweet from the developer who remains quiet thus far. It looks like this is happening as we speak as the file hosts were hit roughly an hour ago.

Notably the torrent on Google Drive is still active so grab the game while you still can.

I'll be updating this thread with news as we learn more.

well-there-it-is.gif

Chindogg

Isn't that the same email that originally filed the last DCMA takedown to MD?

Plot thickens.

You can't stop the signal, Nintendo!

Considering they could have killed this project at any time during the 7 years of development, it's just a bit bizarre.

Maybe they took notice that it was Metroid's 30th anniversary, and that while fan put out efforts for a proper Metroid II remake, all they had was Federation Force :")

Anyway, I guess it's their IP, so their rights, meh.

"C'MON GUYS! can you STFU with the C&D comments??? the original link is still up! When you issue a takedown it is suppose to be immediately! not 5 minutes later! think of those awesome fan games on www.smwcentral.net ffs!"

lol people thinking those crummy rom hacks can compare with this well crafted remake

BErf8dq.png

The best Metroid game in nine years - an absolutely fantastic package, a stunning reimagination of a oft-forgotten classic - and Nintendo are trying to kill it.

Happy Anniversary, everyone.

"C'MON GUYS! can you STFU with the C&D comments??? the original link is still up! When you issue a takedown it is suppose to be immediately! not 5 minutes later! think of those awesome fan games on www.smwcentral.net ffs!"

lol people thinking those crummy rom hacks can compare with this well crafted remake

BErf8dq.png

I stand by everything I said and will continue to treat such talk as fuckery in every fangame thread it comes up. A google search still let me download the game btw.

udivision

Samus finally got a birthday party but then the cops showed up. They were responding to reports of concerned neighbors that someone somewhere was actually having fun with something related to the Metroid franchise, and the only logical conclusion was that drugs were involved.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This was to be expected unfortunately :(

Yeah.

People bring up projects like Zelda Classic, but that project released more than 17 years ago, long before Nintendo had decided to start reselling their older titles on Virtual Console.

BErf8dq.png

well crafted? am2r is practically a zero mission rom hack i've seen far more impressive super mario world hacks

Modbot said that there could be a new thread should there be further developments. Nintendo are now targeting sites that host AM2R directly, including the ones set up by the project creator. New thread for new news.

Eh, they can't cancel Federation Force, so let's cancel the good Metroid games :")

Guess Who

Banned
As long as the torrent file is available it'll never die. Shit, someone should just post it on a tracker if it's not already.

well crafted? am2r is practically a zero mission rom hack i've seen far more impressive super mario world hacks

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are very much in the minority. AM2R has been incredibly well received, everywhere. Its a brilliant antidote to Blast Ball, Federation Force, and Other M.

Joqu

No stopping it now that it's out there of course, but the dev's still planning updates so it'd be a real bummer to me if they do manage to put a stop to those.

As soon as I'm off work, I'm going to mirror the shit out of this game. Far too much passion and time was put into creating a professional and faithful remake of a classic, and to it see it taken down literally a day after the series' 30-year anniversary and 7 years of effort it just stupid. Sorry, I just can't accept that.

Well, keeping this sort of project on the down-low up until this point was a smart decision, at least, Nintendo can't put the genie back in the bottle when it's already been released.

WELP

Yeah, now I fully understand why the team behind Project M wanted to bail out full time.

Fucking Nintendo. We have fucking SEGA over here embracing Christian Whitehead and his awesome Retro engine and meanwhile Nintendo does shit like this.

Time to make megaupload files.

WELP

Yeah, now I fully understand why the team behind Project M wanted to bail out full time.

Fucking Nintendo. We have fucking SEGA over here embracing Christian Whitehead and his awesome Retro engine and meanwhile Nintendo does shit like this.

By all accounts, Metroid hasn't had as much abuse as Sonic has.

Ooccoo

Sony with the 3.61 firmware for Vita
Nintendo takedown for AM2R

Gotta love this industry! Kill everything people love, but don't forget to underdeliver in every possible way!

Amazed at how people are crapping on Nintendo for killing the game, when the guy is remaking a game that he never asked permission for, and thus infringing on IP rights (not to mention said game is on VC).

Top Bottom