• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project AM2R getting legally slammed by Nintendo; file hosts hit with DMCA notices

Awful. Just awful. Severely disappointed in Nintendo and incredibly sad for the wonderful development team of AM2R. At least the game was put out in a brilliant, nearly-complete state before this happened.

Funny (?) how this happens immediately after we find out that Federation Force sold like garbage.

heringer

Nintendo truly love their fans. They waited until the game was complete so everybody could download and play it before the takedown.

Zubz

Banned
Awful. Just awful. Severely disappointed in Nintendo and incredibly sad for the wonderful development team of AM2R. At least the game was put out in a brilliant, nearly-complete state before this happened.

Funny (?) how this happens immediately after we find out that Federation Force sold like garbage.

The worst part is? They could've tried to hire the AM2R team instead of getting all "scorched Earth" about it. But it's Nintendo; they haven't given us much of a reason to have faith in them for awhile.

The worst part is? They could've tried to hire the AM2R team instead of getting all "scorched Earth" about it. But it's Nintendo; they haven't given us much of a reason to have faith in them for awhile.
I love how people think this is such a easy option. Not knowing whether this team actually wants to be hired or stay independent, among other things.

CDV13

So what is the reason these people don't change a few things up and just make it a "loveletter" to the games they are replicating? I understand you can still be sued if the product is close enough, but there are tons of clones or metroidvania type games.

If it is a money issue and the reuse of assets is needed to save money, then that explains it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

They would never do that. Gives too much incentive for everyone to just use their IP in the hopes of eventually getting a job.

So what is the reason these people don't change a few things up and just make it a "loveletter" to the games they are replicating? I understand you can still be sued if the product is close enough, but there are tons of clones or metroidvania type games.

If it is a money issue and the reuse of assets is needed to save money, then that explains it.

They wanted more people to pay attention to their game. Like you said, there are tons of metroidvania clones, so making another means it will get lost in the crowd. Make an actual Metroid game and people pay attention.

They would never do that. Gives too much incentive for everyone to just use their IP in the hopes of eventually getting a job.

That, and like I said in the other thread, Nintendo probably just has too much pride. They basically think that 2D Metroid = Sakamoto and no one else.

nynt9

I love how people think this is such a easy option. Not knowing whether this team actually wants to be hired or stay independent, among other things.

Well, they could have at least reached out instead of coming out guns blazing with a DMCA. If the team didn't respond amicably then sure. But I like to think that even when taking a hostile action, a little courtesy would be nice.

KingBroly

Banned
Well, they could have at least reached out instead of coming out guns blazing with a DMCA. If the team didn't respond amicably then sure. But I like to think that even when taking a hostile action, a little courtesy would be nice.

If Nintendo reaches out to one developer working on a fangame, other fangame makers are going to come out of the woodwork demanding the same treatment because they think their work is as good, if not better, ans is therefore deserving of special treatment.

nynt9

If Nintendo reaches out to one developer working on a fangame, other fangame makers are going to come out of the woodwork demanding the same treatment because they think their work is as good, if not better, ans is therefore deserving of special treatment.

They can demand the same treatment but if Nintendo doesn't think they're worth engaging with then nothing will come of it. Your scenario is a corner case anyway.

It was in open development for 7 years prior to its release and spread online. That's about as courteous as you can get when it comes to fangames takedowns.

Vena

C&D is guns blazing. DMCA is "we have a gun, don't make us use it".

KingBroly

Banned
They can demand the same treatment but if Nintendo doesn't think they're worth engaging with then nothing will come of it. Your scenario is a corner case anyway.

The problem is that it wastes Nintendo's time to pour through every 2-bit developer's efforts that think their worth a damn. It's simply not worth the effort.

Top Bottom