• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
PortTwo said:
No but you can fit 1 or 2 seasons of television in HD on a 32GB iPad or iPhone. Remember that ATV is rental-only. If you want to own something you need to buy it in iTunes or on iPad.
Which is my point - 32GB is perfectly within the bounds of present SD products. Especially since that you don't even need particularly speedy SDs for that.

OniShiro said:
Not the same, in that case the storage is your actual computer, you sync your device with your pc, so you can have as much storage as you want.

I doubt nintendo would allow to connect the console to the computer to transfer files.
While you do have a point with pc storage there, my observations of how people use their ipt/ipads, including my own experience with those devices, show that when people have too big a movie library, they don't even bother to transfer back and forth - they just stream that right off their media-storage pc's. And future consoles will likely do that no problem. Heck, current consoles do that.

if there will be game installs, then would a 32GB SD card be enough? the discs goes up to 25GB. best case scenario would mean fitting 2 or 3 games.

NeonZ

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Smash Bros. is a great fanfare heavy and fun Nintendo franchise. But I’m not sure it needs the greatest developer to make it. Especially a souped up sequel! It just needs a decent team and great production value.

I guess the matter is if you're waiting for a trully new game or just a Melee 3.0 or Brawl 2.0. Brawl didn't really innovate in the core gameplay department, but its main structure was very different from Melee's in some ways, and I don't think a game developed entirely by an outside team would have deviated from the Melee model.

The entire Brawl was developed by an adhoc team. The main game has Nintendo programmers, Epoch Soft programmers, Monolith Soft programmers, Game Arts programmers. Just contracted staff that was excited about participating in the game. The next game likely will be developed differently.

I think that ended up hurting some technical aspects of the game, and the cohesiveness of the whole (like how most adventure mode areas were completely unconnected from the other modes of the game, aside from Metaknight's Halberd, which was the second Brawl area shown in trailers), which is why I hope the same won't happen again. Although, depending on when they plan to release a new Smash, then it could be necessary yet again.

beje

Banned
From The Dust said:
if there will be game installs, then would a 32GB SD card be enough? the discs goes up to 25GB. best case scenario would mean fitting 2 or 3 games.

Game installs this gen are the result of a technology crippling the rest of the system (in this case, DVD and first-gen BluRay transfer rates) so I can be sure we'll see them gone next gen, thus removing the need for a really big hard drive.

Also, what I said last page. We have to see one year or one year and a half in advance. At that point, 64GB and 128GB cards will be inexpensive.

OniShiro

Banned
blu said:
Which is my point - 32GB is perfectly within the bounds of present SD products. Especially since that you don't even need particularly speedy SDs for that.

While you do have a point with pc storage there, my observations of how people use their ipt/ipads, including my own experience with those devices, show that when people have too big a movie library, they don't even bother to transfer back and forth - they just stream that right off their media-storage pc's. And future consoles will likely do that no problem. Heck, current consoles do that.

I agree with you that it will be ok to most people, but if they seriously want to cater to the hardcore user, I really think they need to offer a hardcore console.

Because who knows how much storage will the Xbox720 and PS4 have? maybe 1TB of storage? and lots of users when they go to the store and see one console for 300$ with 1TB or storage and another for the same price with just 8GB of storage will probably buy the former.

Like it or not there are lots of users who just buy the thing with the bigger numbers.

I have a really hard time understanding why anyone would argue for flash over a Hard Drive when a 32 gig SD card costs $65 and a 320 gig Hard Drive costs $45. That's a price per gig ratio of 14:1. There is just no conceivable way that the SD card is a better deal unless portability or size is extremely important, and in a home console, with a small exception, it should not be.

beje

Banned
OniShiro said:
When the consoles get released in a couple years a 1TB drive might cost them wholesale less than 30$

It's not about how much they cost but how much it could increase the overall price "just because". Right now, MS is selling a 250GB drive at 100$ (one third of the price you stated) when the same money gets you a 2TB drive for a PC. That was also the price difference between the core pack and the premium pack for the 360 when it was released for a mere 20GB drive, when at that moment 100$ got you a 128GB HDD more or less.

OniShiro

Banned
beje said:
It's not about how much they cost but how much it could increase the price. Right now, MS is selling a 250GB drive at 100$ (one third of the price you stated) when the same money gets you a 2TB drive for a PC. That was also the price difference between the core pack and the premium pack for the 360 when it was released for a mere 20GB drive, when at that moment 100$ got you a 128GB HDD more or less.

Maybe microsoft, but Sony keeps releasing new PS3 packs with more storage for the same price.

OniShiro said:
When the consoles get released in a couple years a 1TB drive might cost them wholesale less than 30$

They might, but you think Nintendo will sell them to us for $30?

Look at the X360 today, how much does a 250GB HDD cost? how much are they selling you one for?

I would rather Nintendo do 8GB internal flash, which should be enough for almost any Dev to consider the storage a standard feature and use it heavily, and then have Nintendo do like they did with 3DS and match that internal flash with a pre-installed SD card bringing the OotB system storage to 16GB (8 of which are upgradeable). 75% of consumers will never need a single GB more, the rest of us can easily upgrade the extra 8GB with a 32-64GB card for under the cost of a retail game in 2012 and be content with storage space for another year.

And all of that is assuming that Nintendo won't just simply allow for an External or even Internal HDD attachment through an expansion bay, as I think Wii is the only home system Nintendo has released that didn't have an expansion bay on it somewhere.

wrowa

OniShiro said:
It doesn't matter if it's succesfull, if they want to compete with Microsoft and Sony they need to offer similar features.
If they want to compete with MS and Sony they have to offer features people don't care for? Your line of argument doesn't make sense. If it's not successfull then there is no reason why Nintendo would need to offer it.

In this case I would even say that a video portal by Nintendo is a pretty dumb idea. They simply can't build something that's as good as the established platforms, so they shouldn't try to build something new from the grounds up. Instead: Partnership with external companies. For example the already mentioned Netflix. Which is already present on the Wii.

OniShiro said:
I agree with you that it will be ok to most people, but if they seriously want to cater to the hardcore user, I really think they need to offer a hardcore console.

Because who knows how much storage will the Xbox720 and PS4 have? maybe 1TB of storage? and lots of users when they go to the store and see one console for 300$ with 1TB or storage and another for the same price with just 8GB of storage will probably buy the former.

Like it or not there are lots of users who just buy the thing with the bigger numbers.
There's one thing that in all these years hasn't changed significantly: people buy consoles for games. In the cases of PS2 and PS3 some people might have also bought the consoles due to their abillity to play DVDs resp. Blu-ray. But literally no one decides based on the size of the HDD which console to buy.

Completely unrelated to whatever storage medium Nintendo's Cafe will have. I prefer to wait for actual information before if discuss about storage size of all topics.

beje said:
Game installs this gen are the result of a technology crippling the rest of the system (in this case, DVD and first-gen BluRay transfer rates) so I can be sure we'll see them gone next gen, thus removing the need for a really big hard drive.

Also, what I said last page. We have to see one year or one year and a half in advance. At that point, 64GB and 128GB cards will be inexpensive.
I'm sure people would like the convenience though. Yea, "lazy gamers" and all but if you gave the people a taste (which they already have) then they would like more

guek

Banned
Amir0x said:
Trying to equate HDD installs of games - something which substantively improves gaming in massive ways - to anything related to that comic is so sad one must shake their head.

Man, I've been lurking for awhile, and you always start hurling insults and snide comments whenever people show the slightest hint at disagreement while pretending that all you want is a cogent argument. That was a joke, not an argument, hence why I said for giggles.

Amir0x said:
And in any event, where is your evidence that it would make a difference to "very few people"? Where is your evidence that the "overwhelming majority of gamers out there wouldn't bat an eye?" I certainly know a metric fuckton of gamers who utilize the feature - if you had the choice, who would choose to play with worse loading and worse texture pop-in if you didn't have to? The answer is "no one." That you're advocating laziness (at least, that's what I have to assume you're doing with that comic... there is no other logical defense of the behavior) in the form of certain people not wanting to wait 5 minutes up front in order to receive these benefits is something only worthy of scorn.

Wow, anecdotal evidence for the win. Apparently you're some kind of half-man, half cerebral census machine? So where's your evidence, big guy, apart from all the metric fuckton of gamers you apparently know?

While I'm too lazy to actively find data pertaining to game installs (if it exists at all), a 5 second google search led me to a story I remember reading awhile ago.

NDP said:
There is still a "large and untapped" market for connected devices and digital content, with only 6 percent of U.S. consumers having downloaded content through game consoles

courtesy of Gamasutra from September of last year.

While this by no means show conclusive evidence that most people don't install, it does mean that most people that buy consoles don't care one bit about the amount of storage because they are clearly not utilizing it. Do you honestly believe that the majority of console purchasers out there bother with installing games on their 360 when it's not enforced? Do you know what the average gamer looks like? They look nothing at all like you or me. Every single person on this board is a minority in a sea of people that don't care about what the specs are as long as it looks purdy and plays those one or two games all their friends are talking about. Why oh why should nintendo design this console to please YOU when there are options out there that cater to a much larger segment of gamers? If you can give me actual hard evidence that the majority of gamers or developers out there actively care about game installs, I will gladly concede that nintendo should try to please such a large segment of their market.

Amir0x said:
Your argument that a company should remain in the stone age - or at least that so few people care (which is of course factually false) and so you should design an inferior console off the lowest common denominator and not include an HDD in order to be able to have developers include a feature which indisputably improves the way a game plays - just strikes me as the sort of awkward defense moding that one sees when people are out of excuses and just head straight to the denial-at-any-cost stage.

And again you descend into insults without being antagonized while using your own conjecture as evidence. Not including an HDD will not limit developers if there are no file size limitations or technical limitations, which USB3.0 harddrives would circumvent as well as SDXC cards as several posters have clearly shown.

Every time someone disagrees with you, its like you throw a tantrum. There are other options with pros and cons aside from your own personal vision that merit discussion and acknowledgement. Ultimately, that's what's so irritating about reading your posts, your refusal to respectfully acknowledge any other stance but your own.

guek

Banned
BMF said:
I have a really hard time understanding why anyone would argue for flash over a Hard Drive when a 32 gig SD card costs $65 and a 320 gig Hard Drive costs $45. That's a price per gig ratio of 14:1. There is just no conceivable way that the SD card is a better deal unless portability or size is extremely important, and in a home console, with a small exception, it should not be.

That is certainly the main concern about going with flash, and it's a big one too. I don't think people are arguing its a superior choice over HDDs, rather that it's an option that cuts costs for nintendo that most consumers would be able to handle as long as we don't have to do the whole fridge swapping. Personally, I'll be severely disappointed if SD cards are the only method of expanding storage. I think it makes perfect sense to not package in an HDD because many people will not actively fill it up. At the same time, not having the option to use HDDs and only implementing flash passes on too much of the cost to the consumer in the event that they do want to expand storage.

A lot of people seem insistent that Wii2 has to COME WITH a hard drive, or at least include a Hard Drive SKU (usually suggested to be roughly $100 more than the core SKU).

Why, though? Couldn't they just sell the hard drive accessory separately for $100 at launch? What would be the difference, convenience? To not have to slide it in/clamp it on? I'd actually enjoy having another step like that be part of the "new console inauguration ritual," but I realize it might be seen as a hassle for some. But, is that the big ordeal? The big issue everyone's taking with not having a dual-SKU console option?

Lupin the Wolf said:
A lot of people seem insistent that Wii2 has to COME WITH a hard drive, or at least include a Hard Drive SKU (usually suggested to be roughly $100 more than the core SKU).

Why, though? Couldn't they just sell the hard drive accessory separately for $100 at launch? What would be the difference, convenience? To not have to slide it in/clamp it on? I'd actually enjoy having another step like that be part of the "new console inauguration ritual," but I realize it might be seen as a hassle for some. But, is that the big ordeal? The big issue everyone's taking with not having a dual-SKU console option?

If it's not standard, then developers won't assume everyone has it, and it won't be supported heavily. It's easier for everyone if it's just standard. That way, developers can rest assured that people have enough room for DLC and downloadable games, and consumers won't have to clean out the fridge like on the Wii.

guek

Banned
nckillthegrimace said:
If it's not standard, then developers won't assume everyone has it, and it won't be supported heavily. It's easier for everyone if it's just standard. That way, developers can rest assured that people have enough room for DLC and downloadable games, and consumers won't have to clean out the fridge like on the Wii.

Exactly! Just like devs refused to put DLC on the 360. I hope nintendo learns from microsoft's mistakes.

Seriously here, the only reason the wii had such paltry DLC and wiiware support was because of the awful marketplace and file size restrictions.

nckillthegrimace said:

But if we're talking a dual-SKU situation (which, granted, you may not be), that's not the case at all. The Xbox 360 has dual SKUs and all 360 games are required to operate with or without a hard drive. At the very least, I expect a chunk of the onboard 8GB flash will be dedicated to caching, which will allow for more memory management options for developers, which is already significantly better than what the 360 has to work with on hard-drive-less units.

EDIT: Guek beat me to it. Also, love the Clerks TV reference. Should've lasted more than 6 episodes.

Darryl

Banned
wrowa said:
If they want to compete with MS and Sony they have to offer features people don't care for? Your line of argument doesn't make sense. If it's not successfull then there is no reason why Nintendo would need to offer it.

In this case I would even say that a video portal by Nintendo is a pretty dumb idea. They simply can't build something that's as good as the established platforms, so they shouldn't try to build something new from the grounds up. Instead: Partnership with external companies. For example the already mentioned Netflix. Which is already present on the Wii.

A lot of people are really shallow. They purchase features that they don't use just because they look neat on the side of the package. It's like, "wow, i can rent movies whenever i want! a theater in my living room!", but don't ever use it. It's the icing on the cake, you just need to top if off with as many features as you can to convince Mom your family needs one. New games! Old games! Netflix! Blu-Ray! DVDs! Hulu! Movie rentals! Internet! Look at all those things, mom! We really need one.

It's a useless feature, but I can't imagine it would cost much to implement. There's plenty of companies out there that sell streaming rentals, so I don't think it would be too to find someone willing you take over that untapped market on your console.

Syferz

Banned
From The Dust said:

Game installs shouldn't exist at this point, all Nintendo has to do is put a decent blue laser reader in their console and have read rates on par with the 360 (or better) 32GB SSD is enough to get any game on the console, after that I really don't care about my end, I'll buy a 128GB SDXC card in 2013 for 50 bucks that reads at 50MBps or better, I don't understand why everyone hates the idea of SD cards, by the time PS4 and Xbox720 come (I am assuming 2014) you'll be able to buy a 256GB card for $50 on newegg...

I really hope that is actually the main focus of expanded storage, because if it's external hard drives, it will probably be Nintendo branded, and be priced WAY over market value, I still haven't upgraded my 360 hard drive for that same reason.

Neglected point: Iwata's comments about partnering with outside companies to improve "network services" don't necessarily refer to online play at all. In fact, at the same investor briefing, he referred to 3DS' forthcoming browser and eShop using that very phrase.

1-D_FTW

Syferz said:
Game installs shouldn't exist at this point, all Nintendo has to do is put a decent blue laser reader in their console and have read rates on par with the 360 (or better) 32GB SSD is enough to get any game on the console, after that I really don't care about my end, I'll buy a 128GB SDXC card in 2013 for 50 bucks that reads at 50MBps or better, I don't understand why everyone hates the idea of SD cards, by the time PS4 and Xbox720 come (I am assuming 2014) you'll be able to buy a 256GB card for $50 on newegg...

I really hope that is actually the main focus of expanded storage, because if it's external hard drives, it will probably be Nintendo branded, and be priced WAY over market value, I still haven't upgraded my 360 hard drive for that same reason.

And I would say discs shouldn't exist at this point. I'm going to avoid defending 60 dollar DD (because I've railed against this for long enough), but Nintendo is basically saying DD isn't important to them for the next generation (or being able to adapt if it does take off).

That's one hell of a gamble. If Sony or MS ever wised up and developed an infrastructure as aggressive as Steam, physical retail games would be dead in this country on consoles. Steam is just that good. You never want to go back to physical media once you get used to it.

From The Dust said:
Its a Nintendo console. There won't be installs.

Anyone convinced a DD future is even in the cards for the near future need to get their head on straight. DD won't even have a shot at taking over until the current generation of users are deceased (or at least, no longer buying video games). Too many people my age (~30 yrs. old) and older are fond of physical ownership of actual things they pay $40-60 to own for them to be able to get widespread market penetration. Eventually, kids that are now being raised on iTunes and Steam will be more accepting of such a future. But they have some time yet before they are "the market."

The other problem is bandwidth caps. Do you really think that people are going to want to risk extra fees from ISPs nationwide who are trying to restrict bandwidth to monthly GB caps? If someone barely uses the internet except the occasional download, sure, but power users--the real market for DD content right now--will have to ration out their internet usage. When they're confronted with that 8GB download file, they might just turn it down and go buy it at the store for a comparable price.

Basically, it isn't happening just yet. Maybe in a decade or so, but not yet. And I HOPE never. I like physical media as something other than a "proof of purchase." And Nintendo and Miyamoto do, too.

EDIT: brain_stew - As an addendum, there are limitations on the Xbox USB solution. You can only have two USB drives plugged in at once and they cannot contain more than 16GB of Xbox content each. However, they are usually a lot cheaper than a 360 memory unit used to be.

1-D_FTW said:
but Nintendo is basically saying DD isn't important to them for the next generation (or being able to adapt if it does take off).

I would dispute that, they could have easily supported an external HDD with a Wii update had they wanted to, at least if their security was up to it. Even the N64 had a downloadable storage add-on, briefly.

linko9

189175-n64dd_large.jpg

This is all I can think of when people say "DD." Always takes me a second to figure out what's going on.

guek said:
Exactly! Just like devs refused to put DLC on the 360. I hope nintendo learns from microsoft's mistakes.

Seriously here, the only reason the wii had such paltry DLC and wiiware support was because of the awful marketplace and file size restrictions.

And the file size restrictions were because of the limited storage space. Even the 360 had problems with file size restrictions on XBLA games because the HDD was not standard. That even limited Microsoft's own ambitions with the NXE; they were forced to included storage in all future SKUs and sell reduced price 20 GB HDDs to consumers who had the Core unit. While a limited amount of flash storage is certainly better than no storage at all, as in the case of the Core 360, including even more helps future proof the console. Digital distribution on consoles certainly was not a big thing in 2005, but it is now. Nintendo needs to include more storage space if they want that space to thrive on the Cafe.

1-D_FTW said:
And I would say discs shouldn't exist at this point. I'm going to avoid defending 60 dollar DD (because I've railed against this for long enough), but Nintendo is basically saying DD isn't important to them for the next generation (or being able to adapt if it does take off).

That's one hell of a gamble. If Sony or MS ever wised up and developed an infrastructure as aggressive as Steam, physical retail games would be dead in this country on consoles. Steam is just that good. You never want to go back to physical media once you get used to it.
Where has Nintendo stated this?

1-D_FTW

BMF said:
Where has Nintendo stated this?

It's implied. You could never go hardcore in that direction if you're going to have games that take 8-20GB a piece. It would be outrageously expensive and you'd have to constantly swap like it was a cartridge based system.

1-D_FTW said:
It's implied. You could never go hardcore in that direction if you're going to have games that take 8-20GB a piece. It would be outrageously expensive and you'd have to constantly swap like it was a cartridge based system.
What was implied? All I have heard is that it will include 8gigs of internal flash. We have heard nothing about expansion or the possibility of multiple SKUs.

Bert

PS3 gaming has pissed me right off this gen. Buy a new game? Can't play for 30 mins as "an update is required" Not played a game for a while? Same thing. I have a 60gb PS3 and frequently have to "clean the fridge".

If this is what console gaming is becoming, I'm opting out and going PC only next gen, at least then I get the benefit of better graphics and free/working online.

Installs are a side effect of either poor programming or an insistence on going past the capabilities of the system. I'm a console gamer so that I don't have to bother with all that crap, just stick the disc in and play.

My dream for Project Cafe would be a hybrid system that allows OnLive style streamed gaming as well as local play, and a system that provides an XBMC style interface to my media center, as well as a browser will full Flash capability to use any web based streaming service I want. Nintendo is the only major gaming company that is not also trying to push their own media services (and I include Apple under gaming companies here), there is a massive opportunity to steal the market in 3rd party services.

At the moment there is no mention of streaming video to the controller in the OP, assuming that's not simply taken for granted.
AMD and ViVu's system seems the likely, based on standard 802.11n tech. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF8omefUZik
I've looked into wireless HD but the technology seems prohibitively expensive right now. Given the bandwidth they're limited to, AMD's system must involve some amount of compression or latency, but I've no idea how much.

RavenFox

Banned
beje said:

I see, so you don't game on PC huh? Many assets loading off a HDD or solid state solution helps more than it hinders.

Amir0x

Banned
swerve said:
And discounting that we know nothing about the system. The notion that there could be plenty of reasons for the machine to eschew HDD offends him greatly.
It doesn't offend me... it amuses me. Since there are no legitimate reasons put forward to date (and I've deconstructed them all about ten times) and the comically reaching ones that are being put forward - "NINTENDO FEEL" and "NOISE REDUCTION" - are all massacred by the added expense, the added inconvenience of having to shuttle around files and the added inconvenience of having to do so with inferior read/write speeds, that it's just hilarious to see people try to come up with new ways to defend Nintendo on absolutely any grounds. This 8GB flash memory rumour is the worst possible scenario. A doomsday scenario, if you would, no matter what SD cards the system ends up supporting.

Of course, the people who are in this camp are like you, who think cartridge over CD was a smart decision. So it makes logical sense that all their defense of this move would be completely hilarious. That's the only thing that makes logical sense here.

swerve said:
Then again, they've made a new handheld with terrible battery life just to keep up with the other guys and please 3rd parties, so I expect the new machine to be similarly disappointingly similar to the other guys.

Nintendo released a platform that is still horrendously outdated tech wise for 2011 and the reason why it saps battery so hard is because it's utilizing a technology its competitors aren't even touching - autostereoscopic 3D. Without the 3D, it holds a fairly respective five hour charge which unless battery technology improves is always what we're going to get out of the system unless you make it bigger or further reduce chip sizes so you have more space for battery (which will come with the next 3DS revision, certainly).

But yeah... you can't blame Sony for Nintendo going down that road. NGP is blessedly free of that terrible 3D feature.

Bisnic said:
But it's also because of Nintendo(correct me if im wrong) that DKCR had stupid gameplay design like shaking to blow or to roll.

Yup. The worst feature in DKCR is Nintendo's fault.

This idea that Retro would somehow be less great were they not under Nintendo's magical wing is just hero worship. It's not something that could seriously be argued without a sparkle in your gigantic doe-eyed face and a Miyamoto poster on your wall.

beezlebozo said:
anti-color gestapo

There is more color this gen than last gen, on all platforms.

I'm about to fucking make a topic with the veritable mountain of orgasmically colorful titles to finally put to bed the lie that this color somehow sapped color from game development.

Gameboy said:
Let's argue to death over these rumors, shall we?

This is a Project Cafe rumour topic. If you're not going to discuss the rumours, then do not enter the topic. People who post shit like this will be banned

Syferz said:
In closing, Nintendo will be stupid to use 8GB internal flash, it's too small to insure that every game developer will be able to release a game for the console, it's something I really hope Nintendo has the insight to avoid, I still think 16GB is a bit to small from a consumer's point of view and will defiantly effect DLC sales, but we should be able to get every game and have the ability to use SDXCs for large capacity storage (up to 2TB is huge) I'd be completely satisfied with 32GB of flash memory, but I don't think Nintendo will go that far to please the minority since it will drive up the prices of the console. Heck even as an avid gamer, my 20gb 360 is still fine, though I do delete demos and videos off the system periodically.

Your essential argument is that all the things I am saying are true but they might not be true and some undefined point in the future, so this is the reason to build an inferior console with features we know for a fact are better at the moment? I mean I read over all your points but that's what it reads like.

"Faster speeds? Sure but they're improving soon it'll be par plus it just takes tech design."
"More expansive? Sure but in 4 years that won't be necessarily the case. HDDs will stay the same price, right? $30 or $40 minimum!" (of course, this is ignoring the fact I can get a 1TB HDD for under a hundred bucks, or that no matter how price competitive it gets, HDDs will always have substantially more space at the same dollar value. So again, what purpose is this but to be backwards?)

I mean I am a little concerned at the lengths people are willing to go just to avoid settling on the common sense decision that almost everyone unanimously agrees is the right one for our gaming purposes.

Maybe it's 8gb flash in the controller! Would make sense for going over a bud's place since most people will only have one tablet in their home due to price.

...sigh, I'm trying to rationalize this any way I can.

Amir0x

Banned
Holy Order Sol said:
Did the warranty cover that or did you have to buy another system at some point? Also how long is it supposed to last anyway?

It covered that, but if I had a custom firmware, Nintendo would not fix it for me. They're not supposed to anyway, and it's certainly not something I'm going to risk given the problems I've had with Wii. Wii is the only system that keeps breaking down on me this gen.

guek said:
Man, I've been lurking for awhile, and you always start hurling insults and snide comments whenever people show the slightest hint at disagreement while pretending that all you want is a cogent argument. That was a joke, not an argument, hence why I said for giggles.

We're not going to start acting like someone is insulting you personally for finding one of your arguments sad. If you cannot respond like an adult, your points do not deserve a response.

If you decide to respond to me again, I hope you do so without the accusations because we're not going to have you derailing a topic because you're incapable of not getting angry at someone passionately believing their opinions are right. I do not hold opinions I think are wrong. Any opinion I hold I think is right enough to defend; therefore all the strengths of my convictions will support them. This is not a personal insult to you.

So, ball is in your camp. I won't be accused of hurling insults again.

Amir0x

Banned
sfried said:
Jesus all this commotion for a bunch of rumors.

How about we discuss cost? The $350-450 thing seems off.

Two people were just banned for complaining about people discussing rumours in a RUMOUR thread.

If you do not want to discuss rumours, then do not post in this thread. Nobody requires your bitter commentary about people being on topic in a rumour thread.

Anyway, $350~$450 doesn't seem off to me. Strike that... $450 seems off. But there is inflation, Nintendo is going to have a very expensive core controller and it's going to be somewhat more powerful than PS360, so tech wise with what is included $350 seems easily in the proper ballpark. I'd say maybe they'd do a $299 with less space and a $399 with more space, very much following in the Microsoft footsteps in this case.

We cannot have systems at $200 forever or at $299 forever. If you want a system that is even remotely technically competent for the year it is releasing in, you have to expect to pay SOME price more than what came before.

Instro

Amir0x said:
Two people were just banned for complaining about people discussing rumours in a RUMOUR thread.

If you do not want to discuss rumours, then do not post in this thread. Nobody requires your bitter commentary about people being on topic in a rumour thread.

Anyway, $350~$450 doesn't seem off to me. Strike that... $450 seems off. But there is inflation, Nintendo is going to have a very expensive core controller and it's going to be somewhat more powerful than PS360, so tech wise with what is included $350 seems easily in the proper ballpark. I'd say maybe they'd do a $299 with less space and a $399 with more space, very much following in the Microsoft footsteps in this case.

$399 seems like the absolute max even with dual sku's. I could see $350, it really comes down to how expensive that controller will be.

Woffls

sfried said:
Jesus all this commotion for a bunch of rumors.

How about we discuss cost? The $350-450 thing seems off.
We have absolutely no idea what kind of hardware is going in it! We couldn't possibly speculate beyond the $350-$450 margin already put forward. Unless you want to talk about what kind of price would benefit its placement in the market?

Nintendo could charge whatever they wanted until Fall 2012 then drop it to $350 and still be very successful out of the gate.

ReyVGM

I agree, you want power and bells & whistles? Then prepare to pay over 350 bucks for this new console.

I'm actually happy the price (might) be that high, because at least I know Nintendo won't come out with a 1.1 Xbox360 or something.

Amir0x

Banned
ReyVGM said:
I agree, you want power and bells & whistles? Then prepare to pay over 350 bucks for this new console.

I'm actually happy the price (might) be that high, because at least I know Nintendo won't come out with a 1.5 Xbox360 or something.

To me $399 was never a bad price for a system that is moderately competent for the year it is in, much less when one has an expensive controller in it.

If people are this shocked to pay this for a console in the year 2012 maybe it is time to just come to the realization that you're now the type of gamer who is going to need to not buy systems at launch anymore :p

It is totally OK to wait for a price drop, ya know. Think of all the cheap games that would have accumulated as a bonus.

ReyVGM

“Nintendo has decided to launch in 2012 a system to succeed Wii. We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at E3.” - Nintendo’s Charlie Scibetta, senior director of corporate communications

Asshole. Tell me more, I'm dyin' here.

ReyVGM said:
“Nintendo has decided to launch in 2012 a system to succeed Wii. We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at E3.” - Nintendo’s Charlie Scibetta, senior director of corporate communications

Asshole. Tell me more, I'm dyin' here.
None of that is new info though :lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Amir0x said:
To me $399 was never a bad price for a system that is moderately competent for the year it is in, much less when one has an expensive controller in it.

If people are this shocked to pay this for a console in the year 2012 maybe it is time to just come to the realization that you're now the type of gamer who is going to need to not buy systems at launch anymore :p

It is totally OK to wait for a price drop, ya know. Think of all the cheap games that would have accumulated as a bonus.

Totally agree with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom