• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AceBandage said:
Well, you have to think.
What does Capcom really have that sells in the west.... Resident Evil. I mean, that's really it.
Every other franchise sells pretty mediocre.
They're starting to do better with Street Fighter and Dead Rising as well (which sell like zero copies in Japan and a ton in the West), but yeah, they still don't have much overall.

Sega also gets a lot of its Western sales from Football Manager and Total War, which are actually made by their Western studios, and stuff like Aliens vs. Predator 3 made by independent Western studios like Rebellion.

Sonic is their main Japanese developed game that sells in the West, but yeah, it's not necessarily the stuff you would expect putting them that high up the chart.

Japanese third parties as a whole have had really little success this generation in the West, especially from their Japanese branches.

Boney

Banned
KAL2006 said:
exactly, any one in there right mind would know a list like this is fake so why post it, some of these recent juniors are like GameFAQs posters, I swear I seen a junior say they just got back from school and need to do their homework, what is the age restriction to be a NeoGAF member, I swear there are kids slipping into this forum lately, I don't know but this forum seems so different lately or it could just be me :)

EDIT:
Just went to GameFAQs forum and seen the exact same list from the same poster, I knew there are kids from GameFAQs joining this forum
Isn't the whole, yo this smells up like gamefaqs up in here also bannable?

(so is back seat modding i know i know)

Boney said:

You have to admit that his was a legitimately funny rant even if he did technically break etiquette/ban-meme rules. Not saying that he did.

Nirolak said:
They're starting to do better with Street Fighter and Dead Rising as well (which sell like zero copies in Japan and a ton in the West), but yeah, they still don't have much overall.

Sega also gets a lot of its Western sales from Championship Manager and Total War, which are actually made by their Western studios, and stuff like Aliens vs. Predator 3 made by independent Western studios like Rebellion.

Sonic is their main Japanese developed game that sells in the West, but yeah, it's not necessarily the stuff you would expect putting them that high up the chart.

Japanese third parties as a whole have had really little success this generation in the West, especially from their Japanese branches.

Which is sad, since most are better than much of what's selling from Western Studios (ie, the same game with a new coat of paint).

KAL2006

Banned
Boney said:

Oh shit, I had no idea, in future I will keep these rants to myself

please don't ban me mods, especially during E3

Boney

Banned
BMF said:
You have to admit that his was a legitimately funny rant even if he did technically break etiquette/ban-meme rules. Not saying that he did.
only because it gave you an excuse to be cranky ;)

KAL2006 said:
Oh shit, I had no idea, in future I will keep these rants to myself

please don't ban me mods, especially during E3
Yeah don't get me wrong, I thought it was funny, but supposedly it's frowned upon.

ombz

It's too bad the wii 2 is probably a good while off from manufacturing. There might be a chance of a factory leak if it was.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AceBandage said:
Which is sad, since most are better than much of what's selling from Western Studios (ie, the same game with a new coat of paint).
Actually, since it's pretty relevant to this conversation, the biggest selling games from third party Western publishers (and thus the ones Nintendo wants to get on their platform the most) based on their most recent entries are:

Call of Duty - ~25 million
Grand Theft Auto - 17+ million
FIFA - 12+ million
Assassin's Creed - 8-10+ million
Red Dead - 8+ million
Battlefield - 7+ million
Madden - 6+ million
Just Dance - 5+ million
Need For Speed - 5+ million
Medal Of Honor - 5+ million
Fallout/Elder Scrolls - 5+ million
BioShock (Irrational) - 4.5+ million
NBA 2K - 4+ million
Mass Effect - 3.5+ million
Saints Row - 3.4+ million
Borderlands - 3+ million
UFC - 3+ million

Imprecise Due To Steam:
-Left 4 Dead - 4-6+ million
-Portal 1 sold 4 million copies, not sure if they counted the free copies though.

I left out any games that are currently PC exclusives like Diablo, StarCraft, and Guild Wars, though they are very big sellers.

I also left out anything that hasn't had a full retail release since at least 2006 like Half-Life or Doom.

Warner is quite secretive with their sales, but both the LEGO series and Mortal Kombat would likely be on this list if they gave out numbers.

Crysis will probably be on that list again also, since the first one got to 3+ million and the second hit 2+ million with lots of reorders still coming, but it's a bit too soon to tell.

I'm probably still missing some though, so I will update this list a few times as I can remember more games or can dig them up from fiscal releases.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Gamer @ Heart said:
I had that same reaction, but then again, if it launches in the summer like rumors suggest, I can see EA pushing 13 out a month early or so.
That would cause it to compete with NCAA though, which would be very bad for them.

Right, basically shooters and sports (mostly racing).
I mean, don't get me wrong. I have nothing against shooters. I enjoyed Bulletstorm a lot.
It's just... where are the platformers? The action/adventure games? Anything that isn't horribly realistic?
Mass Effect is probably the most unique game on that list, and even then has it's main gameplay based in shooting.

Kamek

As soon as I saw SFxTekken as a timed exclusive I knew it was fake. That list is ridiculous. I think we're all starting to starve for information. I wish some developer would throw us a small bone or hint as to what we're going to see soon :(.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Whoops, I forgot Saints Row - 3.4 million and UFC - 3 million.

I'll go digging to see if there were any titles that weren't shooters, sports, or racing though that weren't PC exclusive, since that's an interesting question.

Boney said:
Just Dance 2 is only 4+ millions?

Thought it was more
It would have been if it wasn't split between Just Dance and Just Dance 2.

The second one kind of killed the first one and stopped it at 4 million, and the second one itself hasn't reached higher than that yet.

Nirolak said:
That would cause it to compete with NCAA though, which would be very bad for them.

Maybe, but if the only version exists for cafe, i cant see it biting too much into its sales. Fans are use to buying NCAA every year despite knowing madden is only a month and a half away.

Nirolak said:
Actually, since it's pretty relevant to this conversation, the biggest selling games from third party Western publishers (and thus the ones Nintendo wants to get on their platform the most) based on their most recent entries are:

I left out any games that are currently PC exclusives like Diablo, StarCraft, and Guild Wars, though they are very big sellers.

Don't forget that Nintendo managed to get StarCraft onto the N64 back in the day. They might be able to pull that one off again.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AceBandage said:
I mean, don't get me wrong. I have nothing against shooters. I enjoyed Bulletstorm a lot.
It's just... where are the platformers? The action/adventure games? Anything that isn't horribly realistic?
Mass Effect is probably the most unique game on that list, and even then has it's main gameplay based in shooting.
So as a follow-up on this note, the biggest third party Western console games this generation without shooting, racing, or sports would seem to be Assassin's Creed, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Mortal Kombat, and LEGO.

Depending on if you want to count Portal as a shooter or not, we could include that as well.

So we're looking at 8-10+ million, (very likely come this Fall) 6-8+ million, 3.2+ million, 3-4+ million, and 2+ million and rapidly growing (Clone Wars is doing really well for some reason) respectively.

There are not as many other genres as there once were, but that's actually not that bad given the relatively small number of games on the list.

There would be a lot more if I were including things that were below 3 million, PC exclusives, or some of the games from Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony's Western studios.

Nirolak said:
Sega also gets a lot of its Western sales from Championship Manager and Total War, which are actually made by their Western studios, and stuff like Aliens vs. Predator 3 made by independent Western studios like Rebellion.

Sega don't own Championship Manager(it was owned by Eidos,so I assume it is now in SE hands), they own Football Manager.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Cerebral Assassin said:
Sega don't own Championship Manager(it was owned by Eidos,so I assume it is now in SE hands), they own Football Manager.
Oh sorry, I always get those two mixed up.

Nirolak said:
Oh sorry, I always get those two mixed up.

Well FM is made by the people who made CM when it was popular, so it is understandable( & the CM website is dead so it may be immaterial now anyway). Thinking about it though the touchscreen would be very useful for FM, I wonder how the 360 versions sold.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For the heck of it, I'll also do third party home console titles in Japan over 400,000, since Nintendo's Japanese sales were also problematic:

Final Fantasy - 1.9 million
Monster Hunter - 1.0 million
MGS4 - 850,000
Resident Evil - 780,000
Yakuza - 550,000
Dynasty Warriors: Kenshiro Edition - 550,000
Dragon Quest Swords - 490,000

(Pro Evo and Taiko would have been on this list had it not had vast decline with their most recent entries.)

watershed

Banned
Jeez, for the guy who posted that stupid fake line up, he must of known a ban was coming, so the question is, was it worth it?

Edit: I just read the story on the Paul Gale Network site, what the hell was that? How could anyone think Kojima would be making a game like that?

Triton55

We can reasonably expect a post-conference announcement of some sort this year, since there's a another new console unveiling and they'll want the conference itself to focus on the main attraction. Something like what happened with the Wii '06 and Smash, and 3DS '10 with OoT 3D.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Triton55 said:
We can reasonably expect a post-conference announcement of some sort this year, since there's a another new console unveiling and they'll want the conference itself to focus on the main attraction. Something like what happened with the Wii '06 and Smash, and 3DS '10 with OoT 3D.
I'd expect a list of Cafe games to be sent out after the conference, yeah.

Hiro

Banned
KAL2006 said:
exactly, any one in there right mind would know a list like this is fake so why post it, some of these recent juniors are like GameFAQs posters, I swear I seen a junior say they just got back from school and need to do their homework, what is the age restriction to be a NeoGAF member, I swear there are kids slipping into this forum lately, I don't know but this forum seems so different lately or it could just be me :)

EDIT:
Just went to GameFAQs forum and seen the exact same list from the same poster, I knew there are kids from GameFAQs joining this forum

I checked over at the Gamefaqs forums and I didn't see this list. And how are you assuming it is kids responsible for this behavior? Adults act just the same, even worse. Quit blaming everything on kids, I don't care if you like kids or not. And comparing the Gamefaqs community with the NeoGAF community is herp derp. In other words, massaging your overbearing ego.

Hiro said:
I checked over at the Gamefaqs forums and I didn't see this list. And how are you assuming it is kids responsible for this behavior? Adults act just the same, even worse. Quit blaming everything on kids, I don't care if you like kids or not. And comparing the Gamefaqs community with the NeoGAF community is herp derp. In other words, massaging your overbearing ego.
You sound like your taking the kids comment personally. One hopes for a certain level of emotional maturity that usually comes with a certain level of actual physical maturity in one's posters.

Triton55 said:

The past several years, Nintendo has had videos and screenshots of games on their E3 website that werent even mentioned at the conference or show floor reels.

Triton55

Gamer @ Heart said:
The past several years, Nintendo has had videos and screenshots of games on their E3 website that werent even mentioned at the conference or show floor reels.
I know, but I mean for a major announcement. Like, if Brawl's dev cycle was pushed a year forward, it would have been prominently displayed at Nintendo's 2007 conf, but it wasn't shown at their 2006 conf because they wanted the focus to stay on their new motion gameplay. Obviously there will be a full list of game announcements and media afterward.
Just saying that it's possible we might see something like that for a marquee title again.

about the OP, basically saying that the 'sales forcast released today doesn't include sales of the successor system before march 31 2012' is not the same as saying that it won't be released before march 31 2012. Not saying it's likely or not but it's possible for them to revise forcasts when giving the date if it's before march 31 2012, so i wouldn't really call that confirmed.

watershed

Banned
LizardKing said:
about the OP, basically saying that the 'sales forcast released today doesn't include sales of the successor system before march 31 2012' is not the same as saying that it won't be released before march 31 2012. Not saying it's likely or not but it's possible for them to revise forcasts when giving the date if it's before march 31 2012, so i wouldn't really call that confirmed.

Iwata clarified that it won't come out until after April 2012. Also I hope Nintendo takes their time to give us a fully featured console with a good launch line up right out of the gate instead of the crappy state that is/was the 3ds launch.

Hiro

Banned
BMF said:
You sound like your taking the kids comment personally. One hopes for a certain level of emotional maturity that usually comes with a certain level of actual physical maturity in one's posters.

You don't define maturity for me or anyone else. Also, nice to see you are still practicing selective reading skills. When someone insults kids, yeah it's pretty fucked up. They are kids, they don't need adults insulting them. It's one thing for adults to insult each other, but another when an adult verbally attacks a kid.

User Tron

artwalknoon said:
Iwata clarified that it won't come out until after April 2012. Also I hope Nintendo takes their time to give us a fully featured console with a good launch line up right out of the gate instead of the crappy state that is/was the 3ds launch.

link?

artwalknoon said:

3DS poor line-up is not a matter of lack of time, rather than Nintendo (wrongly) wanting to give space to 3rd parties. OoT and Starfox could have been released already but they are stalling them forever.

I guess they won't make the same mistake with the new console.

Hiro said:
You don't define maturity for me or anyone else. Also, nice to see you are still practicing selective reading skills. When someone insults kids, yeah it's pretty fucked up. They are kids, they don't need adults insulting them. It's one thing for adults to insult each other, but another when an adult verbally attacks a kid.
You have to be one of the most defensive people on this forum. Sheesh. Anyhow, give me a LTTP remake Nin and I'll be there day 0.

AceBandage said:
Flavor of the day. Go back 15 years and all you'd see on the list would be platformers.

Instro

Buckethead said:
So what's everybody expecting as far as an announcement?

How in-depth are they going to get?

Games shown?

Well since its going to be playable at E3 I guess we'll be getting a ton of info. Specs wise we will probably get as little info as we did with the 3DS.

Id have to assume that Pikmin 3 is going to be shown. Outside of that, who knows.

rpmurphy

Buckethead said:
So what's everybody expecting as far as an announcement?

How in-depth are they going to get?

Games shown?
My guess would be that it would be pretty much identical to the 3DS reveal at the conference last year, except no official name for the system will be given and we get a live demo of some title on stage.

Instro said:
Well since its going to be playable at E3 I guess we'll be getting a ton of info. Specs wise we will probably get as little info as we did with the 3DS.
Oh didn't know it was going to be playable. Too many rumors confusing my brain.
Seems strange it's playable 1+ year away from launch.

Guess they want people (developers) to get psyched about it.

rpmurphy said:
My guess would be that it would be pretty much identical to the 3DS reveal at the conference last year, except no official name for the system will be given and we get a live demo of some title on stage.

When was the last time a console was playable on the show floor without an official name? Has that happened?

[Nintex]

rpmurphy said:
They're going to unveil the name. Maybe even before E3, 'the successor to Wii' doesn't work for (viral) marketing. Something like 'Stream' would.

Buckethead said:

Much like 3DS and I expect this system to drop this thing in April or May next year.

Instro

Buckethead said:

Yeah they said it would be playable in that press release from the other week.

Gotcha.

"Stream" is a great name if it streams stuff from the cloud, etc.
I like "Cafe" too if it comes with an online component that doesn't suck.

Two strong options, imo.

Alrus

Nirolak said:
It would have been if it wasn't split between Just Dance and Just Dance 2.

The second one kind of killed the first one and stopped it at 4 million, and the second one itself hasn't reached higher than that yet.

Wait I thought Ubisoft recently said the second one sold more than 5 millions a few months ago? And considering it kept selling ridiculously well after that announcement I'd say the game is closer to 6 millions sold than 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom