• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

Fake as that image is, I'd find it really hard to believe that the system wasn't a quantum leap over Wii & a pretty big jump beyond PS360.5 as everyone suggested if that were true.

Instro

Shorty said:
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1228/prcspec13iu.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I love stuff like this because you know the person making it was thinking "yeah make the image quality really shitty and stick some for internal use only shit on it. This looks so real."

wsippel

Banned
J-Rock said:
If you are going to post rumor info at least post a source link. Last thing we need is a bunch of people shitting up the thread with their own made up info. Hell, most people are confused enough already when it comes to Cafe.
All you'd get is a link to another forum with a description in German. Anyway, a member of said forum posted that image, claiming his brother, who supposedly works at a German development studio, sent it to him earlier today. I don't really know how trustworthy he is, but he's an active member for six years, and I don't remember him spreading bullshit.

Portugeezer

Exuro said:
Is it normal for a machine to have double the video memory?
DAT MEGATEXTURE!!

IDK, it's possible I guess? IGN said it had 1GB RAM, I will believe them for now... I want 2GB though, it's more future proof.

wrowa

J-Rock said:
If you are going to post rumor info at least post a source link. Last thing we need is a bunch of people shitting up the thread with their own made up info. Hell, most people are confused enough already when it comes to Cafe.
Consolewars is like the community of GameFAQs. Just in worse.

dvolovets

Even though I highly doubt that the specs are true, I'm sure that what we'll actually get will be roughly in the same ballpark... at least judging from all the rumors.

[Nintex]

Whoever made that list did do his homework because the GPU would fall right between the Radeon HD4870 and HD4890. All the data seems to work out in theory.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Instro said:

Sounds legit to me.

Seriously, why post this crap when you get some random pic from a random site (which probably nobody checked if it actually came from there). And we need a link to the post where the image was posted, so we can check the real source (which I doubt is even mentioned there).

Hylian

swerve said:
Who told you about the renewed focus on the hardcore?

I don't think journalists aren't credible. I think both they and their sources don't share Nintendo's internal idea about the system or all the facts. The facts that they do have allow them to interpret it as a hardcore focused system. I imagine Nintendo will spin it very differently themselves.

The Wii ship may have passed, but to write off the 25 million Mario Kart and NSMBWii and WSResort players would be very foolish. To continue with the Wii's biggest successes on a bumped up system with some new interesting controller would seem less foolish.

Every console has a purpose, of course. I'm just saying that the new console's purpose is likely to improve on the failings of the past one, which did pretty damn well despite being technically inferior to the competitors. It may well be that Nintendo's belief is still that technical supremacy - or even parity - is less important than other features such as networking and messaging.

I don't think I said the social aspect has to be separate from power. A lot of focus in this thread is on tech specs, which we not only are unlikely to get next week, but the comparisons with potential future systems from the other guys maybe next year and maybe the year after are not likely to be as important to Nintendo than making a machine which allows them to execute on their vision for a home console.

Here is one scenario how nintendo could be thinking about this whole cafe scenarion.

First they thought about the whole scenario of how their home market has been gearing toward handheld gaming. How to capture some of this market to rekindle their interest in to a home console gaming. Well maybe they formulated an idea to create an console that could act as a proxy for streaming content in to a handheld. Giving a possiblity for an handheld like experience while retaining the technical benefits of a closed home system.

Another is that when they do that, this allows them the possibility to create software that alows them to deliver handheld multiplayer like experience in a home console form. Mimicking/expanding on that kind of experience by making the controller itself a handheld like design while maintaning lower price point per proxy system (under $60 per controller). As well as alowing people to personalize their controller as their own and maybe retain that personalization and bring it with them through a central identification system/software that allows that.

The advantage of this is, that they can now market this thing with strenghts of and handheld as well as a new kind of multiplayer /personal experience for familes at homes + Plus give new the hardcore multiplayer and the handheld gamer that mainly plays at home ect. And While doing this , at the same time having a higher fidelity /resolution graphics from the home consoles with lover pricepoints compared to the high price of entry for a family to use multiple ds sytems. Plus having the best graphics compared to any system that gives this kind of experience. Handhelds, consoles that provide family entertaiment, ect.

But also it has one big thrump card, all those multiplayer ds /psp games. That require multiple Systems to be multiplayer enabled. Well this thing could mimic that 4 player multiplayer handheld experience if its wireless. While maintaining under $60 price tag per controller. Becouse all the hardware is in the proxy and its streamed to these co-handheld systems that act like they were different consoles. That could be marketed to make the family feel like they all have their own personal cafe proxy handheld system whitch through they can acces content. While retaining the multiplayer social aspect and value of gather to play at the same room on front of the big screen. If marketed right, this could light up interest at japan, that seems to often scoff at traditional console systems. And if marketed right firing off new development and creating a possibity to create higher fidelity handheld like experience at home.

This whole thing if done right, is pretty marketable like the wii was , show people enjoying their own hanheld with high end graphics at home. Play together or from different rooms or alone with only your personal cafe controller (When all cafes come togher, its like a gathering at a cafe). Create easy ways that the consumer can instantly see how the new system is different from the ones before it , just like with the wii it was. Even if thes games never come, it could be a system that could gain traction and be unique experience for this system alone and create a new blue ocean to nintendo to expand to. Having enough differentation in its experience, so that it does not have to compete in pure specs with the hd twins. Having its own unique multiplayer /controller features as its selling points for the software that it receives.

So to be able to do this, they would need to have a gpu that can render and stream content to multiple controllers (a lot of fillrate). I think this is part of the reason why they chose to have extra power. But also becouse that extra power could be put to use in Nintedos first party efforts that extensively use those multiplayer aspects of this new controller. (Devs were hinting a forminable power, but not so much if the systems main feature is being used).

Another use is to be able to rerelease/resell key software through their new digital service system that is developed by external partner in co-op mode. There is a possiblity that they could start a rerelase hd catalog of wii games enhanced , allow fours sword to be played with 4 cafe controllers or mario kart ds to be downloaded from virtual console and played in 4 player mode at home. Gamecube/Wii games Wich have new cafe features and render at higher resolutions. But im not so sure about this, but a virtual console+ like service might happen, where you could acces that old content upscaled and maybe having little bit extra image quality. (This part is wildly speculative and very unlikely to happen, but i just put it all up there just in case some of this might happen in some form or another).

Another is the possibility to nintendo finally wanting to work they way trough of becoming a plattform whitch receives its own versions of the popular third party franchises this gen. As well as having a rendering piplene that could handle what these devs needs to be able to port and co develop next gen software to cafe platform as well, in tandem with the others. While retaining the possiblity for extra cafe features to balance the lower quality shaders.(I dont know if devs have any reason to implement or support this system this way next gen, but if nintendo puts enough effort and support, some of this might happen).

As far as the online system goes, maybe you can acces and view content through your personal controller from the anywhere at home. Register that controller as a unique console and play your galaxy at bed with it , donloaded from cafes digital service. Or play the games in a traditional way with big screen in mutliplayer ala mario kart wii (Only this time Smash bros, F-Zero, Pikmin, ect are now multiplayer enabled to just like mario kart.)
The online would have system built to be able to people to acces the whole online experience this way. So more online multiplayer content and software to provide more functionality out of this hardware that is more multiplayer and more network enabled in its games and in its overall software functionality.

Basically Nintendo is always looking ways to expand the ocean. There is a bossiblity that they have also thought how they could incorporate features that are found within the new an popular ipad with to this thing. (mentioning about apple being their primary competitor somewhere) People have mentioned the tablet idea. Maybe cafe could also be a portable tablet that gives you acces to Online services like internet and social networking through its software interface. but that remains to be seen how far nintendo is willing to go through in this arena depends on the third party they are working with and also their own vision whatever this kind of stuff is included in it. Or will they just want to stay in the game part of the spectrum. But i would imagine a browser functionality and a ability to stream video content from a the main machine or controller alone would be nice.

The last one is that there is a possiblity that 3ds could work as a controller for this thing , giving it some extra functionality perhaps. They system might having the compatibility for wii motion controls and pheripherals from the wii. Maybe they release a new pheripheral for this crowd for cafe ala balance board or will they incorporate motioncontrol and the new other gimmicry to the controller itself and see what of it will catch on remains to be seen.

Cafe could be an 3ds, NGP, IPad and network enabled HD Console media content streaming hub with multiplayer proxy functionality with these aspects as well, all at the same time. That would give it an edge when it comes to having wide variety of software being ported /developed to it. But also if they incorporate the functionality for measuring pulse ect.
They might have a next gen fitness system gimmic on their hands that draws in the new pheriheral must get crowd.

All this would require pretty significant software development to be able to pull off. Will nintendo go the whole distance. Well we can at least still dream about some of this materializing :).

[Nintex]

I believe the leaked DS specsheet looked even worse, like someone made it in the 50's with a cheap typewriter but it turned out to be legit.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Vitet said:
All the rumors seem to point to no HDD and a 3-core CPU, so that seems fake
Psst. There's a contingency core in there, but don't tell anybody, strictly between you and me, ok? Same with the two-way SMT - one of the threads is a backup for when the original thread fails.

Sianos

Sooooo, do the supposed "leaked specs" look fairly good (as in, the specs themselves)?

It's probably fake, but who knows.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Was that Nintendo Europe invite proved to be real or fake?

Because that blocky poorly compressed thing in the background looks to be the blue wave from that.

Not saying it's real, but a spec sheet to devs is more believable than all the mock-ups of the console itself that were floating around on people's tables.

swerve

'Devkit 1.3' is not what these things get called. 100% fake.

Also, why do the developers care what output ports it has. They need only know the resolutions supporWHY am I even discussing this.

wsippel

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Whoever made that list did do his homework because the GPU would fall right between the Radeon HD4870 and HD4890. All the data seems to work out in theory.
Except for the GPU performance. At that clock speed, it'd need 912 shader units to achieve the performance claimed. Problem is that with R700, the number of shader units need to multiples of five. Northern Islands on the other hand uses multiples of four. If true, the GPU would be so heavily modified that it wouldn't really be an HD4xxx anymore, it'd basically be a R700/ Northern Islands hybrid. While the numbers are odd, the math is sound - 912 is indeed also a multiple of 16, so that would lead to the unusual, but possible number of 57 TMUs. It's also kinda odd that both chips are supposedly 32nm parts. The AMD roadmap posted all over the internet only mentions 40nm and 28nm if I remember correctly, but IBM actually does manufacture 32nm chips in their East Fishkill plant. Don't know, maybe all that actually makes the rumor more believable - or the faker did his homework. I don't think the guy who posted the image would be knowledgeable enough to come up with that...

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
4 cores instead of 3? 250/320GB Hard drive?

Other than these two specs, that sheet isn't stretching too far imo.

Always-honest said:
those specs seem more detailed.....

It took me a while to figure out what you meant by this. Yes, Nintendo's official spec sheets have gone into almost painfully elaborate detail, which just shows one more reason why the blurry, badly watermarked, incomplete and poorly researched image posted earlier is a phoney.

Lupin the Wolf said:
It took me a while to figure out what you meant by this. Yes, Nintendo's official spec sheets have gone into almost painfully elaborate detail, which just shows one more reason why the blurry, badly watermarked, incomplete and poorly researched image posted earlier is a phoney.
Sorry, yes. That is what i meant :p.

[Nintex]

Remember guys, this list apparently comes from a german dev? Maybe they printed/handed out these things on a 'need to know' basis so additional details wouldn't get leaked.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Aside from the fakeness, if that turned out to be true, wouldn't that be a kick-ass console?

wsippel

Banned
Lupin the Wolf said:
The research is actually surprisingly good for a fake. The details seem a bit odd, but they'd actually work as far as I can tell.

antonz

Plinko said:
Aside from the fakeness, if that turned out to be true, wouldn't that be a kick-ass console?
It would. GPU would be in the 6x PS360 range. System ram would be better at 1GB then 512 Though XDR2 is supposed to be crazy powerful ram so they could possibly get by on that fact. 512Mb XDR2 probably outperforms 1-1.5GB of standard ram

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have a feeling this spec sheet is setting me up for disappointment at E3. Who knows, though--with the rumored $350-$400 price it would make sense.

Jinfash said:
System RAM is low. Why even joke about, Fake?

I would call it fake based on the fact that it has XDR2. No way Nintendo uses that due to cost and latency. I read before that one of the complaints about the N64 being difficult to develop for was due in part to the Rambus memory latency.

Also when it comes to memory I expect Nintendo to continue to use 1T-SRAM over eDRAM. When looking at the Wii I see Nintendo doing something like 896MB of GDDR5 memory and 128MB of 1T-SRAM memory to get to 1GB of total memory to match the rumor. Although if that were the case I wouldn't mind seeing them taking the main memory to 1.4GB of GDDR5 (Nintendo has liked using unusual numerical amounts in the past) which combined with the amount of 1T I mentioned would bring it to 1.5GB total. But I expect the first amount to be more accurate with maybe 1.1GB of total memory being second most likely.

Lupin the Wolf said:
Actually, it was only after the GameCube that they stopped releasing console specs publicly. Here's a web archive of GameCube specs taken from Nintendo.com: http://web.archive.org/web/20080502201300/http://register.nintendo.com/techspecgcn

Yeah I think that gets forgotten. I always felt they didn't want to release them for the Wii because they knew they would get ridiculed for the decision and it would take away from what they were trying to establish.

Jin34

Jinfash said:
It will be 100% bad ass.

Yeah I thought it was pretty funny reading the people disappointed about the Ram since 1GB of VRAM alone would be great for a console. The most likely scenario is 1GB GDDR5 UMA. Having the Ram layout in the fake sheet would make it beastly in realistic terms, meaning not in the crazy 4GB of super fast ram with GTX580 dream land.

bgassassin said:
128MB of 1T-SRAM memory to get to 1GB of total memory to match the rumor.

Sounds low. I think Nintendo wants to make sure it can get ports of all the 3rd party games next gen, so it can't lag too far behind PS4/X720. which I expect them to have at least 1gb of system ram, an x8 fold difference seems like a lot. The PS4/X720 will use high performance ram as well. I wonder if one, like this gen, none, or both will be unified memory pools ?

Death Dealer said:
Sounds low. I think Nintendo wants to make sure it can get ports of all the 3rd party games next gen, so it can't lag too far behind PS4/X720. which I expect them to have at least 1gb of system ram, an x8 fold difference seems like a lot. The PS4/X720 will use high performance ram as well. I wonder if one, like this gen, none, or both will be unified memory pools ?

Well you are only looking at a small part of the post and expanding it to cover a lot. Please do not take offense to this, but I would suggest reading my post again.

sinnergy

chaosblade said:
There are so many things wrong with this picture I don't even know where to start with it. I guess a good place would be the compression and overlay text mentioned above.
Nah it's not that weird, compression does that around text. But it's probaly fake.

Jin34 said:
Having the Ram layout in the fake sheet would make it beastly in realistic terms, meaning not in the crazy 4GB of super fast ram with GTX580 dream land.

The sheet seems to be hyping not downplaying Cafe. It could be real, it could be competitor disinfo, it could be a Nintendo fan's daydream. If those specs were real, Cafe is practically a next gen leap over what's out now, and is the real deal. In a closed box it will do amazing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom