• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.
herzogzwei1989 said:
Sorry for re-posting this, it's from a few pages back--I really wanted to know if anyone has the same or similar opinion as I do, on this level in Mario Galaxy.

Thanks for any replies!

I wouldn't say that. I found some screens on this site. the games have vastly different artstyles. so I guess what makes the difference is the art. I'm not sure how much more they can push art. that's something not measured in GFLOPS or whatever

Penguin

bgassassin said:
We need more talk about Timesplitters 4 being a launch title. It's been neglected long enough.

I think Nintendo securing an exclusive Bond title or TimeSplitters as their big FPS works well with their image.

FPSes that aren't overly gritty and dark, still kind of fits in their console for everyone's image.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Clearly Nintendo's branching out to western studios has resulted in a Gearbox shifting Aliens: Colonial Marines to the Cafe as a launch exclusive.

Shin Johnpv said:
I disagree If they went back to just the flying levels, and made a TRUE sequel to Star Fox 64 it would be amazing.

Star Fox 64 wasn't only flying levels, though.

Fact is, Star Fox worked great as a game that showed off new tech. Nobody is impressed by a 3D space shooter anymore. And it's much better for Nintendo long-term to develop the characters, which is hard to do if they're locked in a ship the whole time.

Penguin said:
I think Nintendo securing an exclusive Bond title or TimeSplitters as their big FPS works well with their image.

FPSes that aren't overly gritty and dark, still kind of fits in their console for everyone's image.

TimeSplitters is coming. well, they hinted at it, but it has to be it. exclusive? I doubt that. they should bring back Geist

carlo6529

Shin Johnpv said:
I disagree If they went back to just the flying levels, and made a TRUE sequel to Star Fox 64 it would be amazing.

Why can't they have both though? If they can make great flying levels, then they can make great land levels.

From The Dust said:
I wouldn't say that. I found some screens on this site. the games have vastly different artstyles. so I guess what makes the difference is the art. I'm not sure how much more they can push art. that's something not measured in GFLOPS or whatever

I guess they do have different art styles, but somehow the Loop-de-Loop Galaxy still reminds me of SEGA arcade games, especially Daytona USA 2's amusement park track.
I dunno, I guess it's just me.

From The Dust said:
TimeSplitters is coming. well, they hinted at it, but it has to be it. exclusive? I doubt that. they should bring back Geist

Timesplitters was never a big series, and with all the competition, I think that making it at least a timed exclusive on the Cafe would be good buzz for both companies.

timetokill said:
Star Fox 64 wasn't only flying levels, though.

Fact is, Star Fox worked great as a game that showed off new tech. Nobody is impressed by a 3D space shooter anymore. And it's much better for Nintendo long-term to develop the characters, which is hard to do if they're locked in a ship the whole time.

Star Fox Adventures 2 developed by Retro.

herzogzwei1989 said:
I guess they do have different art styles, but somehow the Loop-de-Loop Galaxy still reminds me of SEGA arcade games, especially Daytona USA 2's amusement park track.
I dunno, I guess it's just me.

I can't seem to find any images of that track (according to wikipedia, Joypolis?) so I can't make a comparison

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
RetroStudios would probably be better at recreating an old property rather than merely extend a recent idea. Thus I think they could do something amazing with Star Tropics, Urban Champion, Mach Rider. Just re-imagine the franchise and basically create something new.

If Nintendo wants a first-party HALO, Killzone, Call of Duty. All they have to do is shop around for one. Find one with potential. Invest some dollars and production. New first-party blockbuster! Making Retro make one seems kind of pointless when there are already millions of potentially good candidates waiting for publishers.

Just my opinion.

I just hope Retro's next game isn't Donkey Kong related. And I don't think they would make F-Zero...racing is just too limited gameplay-wise for a developer of Retro's talents.

Starfox, Metroid, new IP, or Zelda would be great.

Instro

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I don't understand the fixation of "Retro's new game being at E3". If they just released a game, it does not make sense. What Iwata hinted is that Nintendo might be looking towards other Western developers to pick up new first-party franchises that appeal to the Western core audience. In the same style that Microsoft and SONY have done, Nintendo might approach Gear Box, Valve, N-Space, or a new developer really and pick up something they can push for near launch.
It has a lot to do with the fact that Retro has historically made some of the best looking games around. So its not really surprising that we would be clamoring to see what they can do with a more powerful console.

Lonely1 said:
Next. Retro sold to MS.

iwatalolno.gif

Shikamaru Ninja said:
RetroStudios would probably be better at recreating an old property rather than merely extend a recent idea. Thus I think they could do something amazing with Star Tropics, Urban Champion, Mach Rider. Just re-imagine the franchise and basically create something new.

If Nintendo wants a first-party HALO, Killzone, Call of Duty. All they have to do is shop around for one. Find one with potential. Invest some dollars and production. New first-party blockbuster! Making Retro make one seems kind of pointless when there are already millions of potentially good candidates waiting for publishers.

Just my opinion.

So we can run with this as a rumor correct?

Posted?
OmniVision hints they might be making camera for Project Cafe

Console plans were also unusually singled out during the call. The company said it had obtained a "significant design win" to supply cameras for a game console that would be ready in the next several months.

While the customer wasn't named, it wasn't likely to be Microsoft given that it already has a deal with the Kinect. With Sony more likely to use its own sensors for the NGP, the deal is more likely to focus on Nintendo's Project Cafe. The sequel to the Wii is rumored to be getting a controller with a camera for self-portraits and other photo-related gameplay that would need phone-sized sensors like those made by OmniVision.

EDIT: removed iPhone bit to stop confusion

Azure J

HORY SHEET

What does it mean? :lol

Edit: Shika's too good at ninja-ing in his posts. :p

Also, seriously, GAF journalist squad, pester folks about a new StarTropics & Retro if possible. Let's do this. :lol

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Theoretical. EAD Tokyo making Star Fox or RetroStudios making Star Fox. Pick one.

EAD.
Honestly, I think Retro would be talent wasted on StarFox or F-Zero.
There are better studios for both (Treasure for the former, Monster for the latter).
Retro would be better served on an adventure type game.

Also, 8MP cameras in the Cafe controller? Crazy. That video chat feature may not be so out of this world after all.

Poyunch

Hmm. A camera does seem likely they did seem to brag a lot about the Mii generator in the 3DS. They're probably going to do something similar.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Theoretical. EAD Tokyo making Star Fox or RetroStudios making Star Fox. Pick one.

EAD Tokyo since there's no evidence they couldn't make an amazing successor to SF64.

That's why I want Retro to make the next Zelda...EAD seems stuck in a rut.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Theoretical.

That's all I needed to hear. I'd give your theories more credibility than some of this other info we hear.

AceBandage said:
EAD.
Honestly, I think Retro would be talent wasted on StarFox or F-Zero.
There are better studios for both (Treasure for the former, Monster for the latter).
Retro would be better served on an adventure type game.

Also, 8MP cameras in the Cafe controller? Crazy. That video chat feature may not be so out of this world after all.

Cool so we'll run with the Retro/StarTropics as the rumor.

demonturkey said:

I'd believe Nintendo using 2GB of memory before using a camera with that many megapixels.

SaintMadeOfPlaster said:
If this is true, then Nintendo is certainly going in a different, less cost-effective approach with Café. I mean, the 3DS just came out with a .3MP camera...

1.3MP would be suffice I guess. maybe 2. I'm sure resolution will come into play with AR (they might as well add it)

Shikamaru Ninja said:
RetroStudios would probably be better at recreating an old property rather than merely extend a recent idea. Thus I think they could do something amazing with Star Tropics,

!!!

Make it so Number 1!

antonz

From The Dust said:
I think it's quite clear that they mean the Iphone only with the 8MP part, ya'll :lol
Very true but considering they have a camera supplier it is a big change and Id guess safe to say .3 camera is out of the picture

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Kamiya and Platinum need to make Star Fox goddamnit.

EatChildren

Gravijah said:
They're busy making Snatcher Solid, Metal Gear Solid Rising & Bayonetta 2.

I guess that will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom