• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe to use camera from OmniVision?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Originally posted by demonturkey here in the Cafe rumour thread.

demonturkey said:
Posted?
OmniVision hints they might be making camera for Project Cafe

"Console plans were also unusually singled out during the call. The company said it had obtained a "significant design win" to supply cameras for a game console that would be ready in the next several months.

While the customer wasn't named, it wasn't likely to be Microsoft given that it already has a deal with the Kinect. With Sony more likely to use its own sensors for the NGP, the deal is more likely to focus on Nintendo's Project Cafe. The sequel to the Wii is rumored to be getting a controller with a camera for self-portraits and other photo-related gameplay that would need phone-sized sensors like those made by OmniVision."

EDIT: removed iPhone bit to stop confusion

This isn't the first time the 'camera in the controller' rumour popped up, though does seem like confirmation.

The original rumour is sourced at 01net earliest Cafe leaks found here. Now that the camera seems quite likely, it might be worth looking back through this report.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Could actually be Microsoft or Sony if they pull out a new console. But Nintendo is a safe bet.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Project Cafe rumors are building up and from what I can process, it'll be a pretty competent console if even some of these rumors are true.

Josh7289

So is it the console or the camera that's going to "be ready in the next several months"?

EDIT: Hey, I'll answer my own question! I can't see Café releasing any time soon, so it must be the camera!

The wording of the sentence still does make it sound like they're talking about the console being ready so soon, though.

antonz

Josh7289 said:
So is it the console or the camera that's going to "be ready in the next several months"?
Well Production is supposed to start in October for Cafe. So they would need to be ready to supply for that period

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I dont really see how it cant be Cafe. Sony wont have a new console out in several months, and Vita will use Sony's camera tech. Microsoft will be the same on the console front, and they have Kinect, so it could only be them if they had a surprise handheld (which I dont see happening).

Unless its...SEGA.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
EatChildren said:
I dont really see how it cant be Cafe. Sony wont have a new console out in several months, and Vita will use Sony's camera tech. Microsoft will be the same on the console front, and they have Kinect, so it could only be them if they had a surprise handheld (which I dont see happening).

Unless its...SEGA.

iM9ZQ.jpg

Top Bottom