• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

Got the complete edition of PC1 a month or two back. Despite running like dogshit on my R9 470 8GB, the game is absolutely fantastic with the G27.

Looking forward to the sequel. Will probably get a nV GPU too since I'm assuming PC2 will also be heavily PhysX reliant (or whatever else is causing my horrible performance).

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Ian Bell's comment that None of the famous brands are missing this time is open to wide interpretation right now. It could mean anything, but I'm not expecting Forza-levels of manufacturers. I'd personally guess that it refers to the main motorsport marques, but maybe an insider could elaborate if NDAs allow.

Yep VW isn't exactly a brand you think about when you talk about motorsport.

I'll be happy if Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche and Aston are all there. :)

fresquito

Got the complete edition of PC1 a month or two back. Despite running like dogshit on my R9 470 8GB, the game is absolutely fantastic with the G27.

Looking forward to the sequel. Will probably get a nV GPU too since I'm assuming PC2 will also be heavily PhysX reliant (or whatever else is causing my horrible performance).
Try lowering env map. It kills performance for little gain.

Xater

Hopefully they can also make a single player experience worth a shit this time. Their idea of a career mode sounded more interesting in theory than it was in execution.

danowat

Banned
I think so, since VW counts as a famous brand and you can't have a racing sim without a Golf GTI.

Trying to think of the last time a (proper) racing sim had VW in it.........

GT & Forza don't count ;)

Hopefully they can also make a single player experience worth a shit this time. Their idea of a career mode sounded more interesting in theory than it was in execution.

I was probably in the minority, but I really liked the career in PC1.

Zeknurn

Trying to think of the last time a (proper) racing sim had VW in it.........

GT & Forza don't count ;)

I was probably in the minority, but I really liked the career in PC1.

Dirt Rally, and since they're adding Rally to this game they need the VW Polo R WRC.

fresquito

Dirt Rally, and since they're adding Rally to this game they need the VW Polo R WRC.
I don't know if I'm supposed to say this here, but I'll go on anyway: PC2 has RallyX, not Rally. I don't know whether this will change before release, but I highly doubt it. Post release? I don't know either.

Try lowering env map. It kills performance for little gain.

I got it to run well by lowering a bunch of stuff, what I mean is that I know people with similar nV hardware and it runs much better for them to a ridiculous degree. Same CPU and everything.

Avtomat

Is there heavy rain as in forza 6 style down pours?

I know bit silly to race in such conditions but more variation is good

saladine1

I'm mostly excited with the physics and audio aspect of the game.
The physics side is a major focus for the team (obviously), and what they are working on is very interesting indeed.
Audio and it's related effects is also something that the head honchos are talking up. Again, exciting new tech is being utilized. At the moment, games like Raceroom and Dirt Rally are the benchmarks for audio/physics based audio imo, a sentiment shared by gurus at SMS, and they are confident that pCars 2 will be the new benchmark in that regard.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
PC1 already has even thunderstorms, so...

Le Man's, tin-top night race, in a raging storm, the very definition of a suicidal experience, that shit is NUTS. :p

Visibility?, who needs that? :p

Fox Mulder

I really don't understand all the optimistic hype after the first one, but whatever.

Every SMS game I've ever played has had shitty controls, and was told that pcars would be different. It wasn't. I never found a controller setup that felt right.

Not falling for this again.

danowat

Banned
Is there heavy rain as in forza 6 style down pours?

I know bit silly to race in such conditions but more variation is good

PC1 has some of the best representation of changing conditions of any racing game, nothing like a thunderstorm in the middle of a race and everyone diving in the pits to change tyres.

If PC2 improves on this, it'll be impressive.

I really don't understand all the optimistic hype after the first one, but whatever.

There is nothing else on the market that does what PCars does.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

Every SMS game I've ever played has had shitty controls, and was told that pcars would be different. It wasn't. I never found a controller setup that felt right.

With a well set-up wheel//pedals, it's awesome, with a badly set-up wheel/pedals or a gamepad, it's shitty.

Fox Mulder

In some areas. It was also shit in others.

I posted plenty in the pc1 thread and even on their forums. I tried to clean off the rough diamond the game was, but eventually got burned by frustration and even the community and developer attitude towards any issues.

It will have to be a hell of a game to bring me back.

danowat

Banned

I posted plenty in the pc1 thread and even on their forums. I tried to clean off the rough diamond the game was, but eventually got burned by frustration and even the community and developer attitude towards any issues.

I agree, and I can totally understand that.

fresquito

I think that's a pretty extended feeling and I don't really know what could SMS do to make people like you change their mind towards the franchise and the team. My gut feeling is that only some mouth to ear from "disbelievers" can make it happen. I don't think a hell of a game will be enough if you can't trust them. It's a tough spot they have carved themselves into.

Mascot

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating for a lot of players that abandoned the first game. I'm giving SMS the benefit of any doubt (I love pCARS but recognise its deficiencies) because reports from people who are actually playing the early builds are overwhelmingly positive. I know those people are investors by definition, but some (Fresquito, for example) I trust to be objective.

VVV Mars VG

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating for a lot of players that abandoned the first game. I'm giving SMS the benefit of any doubt (I love pCARS but recognise its deficiencies) because reports from people who are actually playing the early builds are overwhelmingly positive. I know those people are investors by definition, but some (Fresquito, for example) I trust to be objective.

Yep, that sounds about right, looking forward to seeing the progress made.

fresquito

Thanks for the confidence, man. I feel honored. Let me correct you, though: WMD2 members are not investors. This time around there will be no monetary gain for us.

Mascot

Thanks for the confidence, man. I feel honored. Let me correct you, though: WMD2 members are not investors. This time around there will be no monetary gain for us.
Now that I did not know. Interesting. Not sure how it passed me by, I was sure the deal was similar to pcars 1.

I recently got PC1 for VR(Vive), as it clearly has the most content of the VR native games. I'm not a racing enthusiast at all, so I haven't noticed any of the things people have been complaining about, but if a lot of things have been improved, I look forward to it. The big thing for me will be the large content increase, and additional disciplines, like rallycross(off road in general).

That said, does anyone know if the VR support has been improved and is actually optimised? 'cause it's kinda disappointing how it struggles to maintain 90fps in the first game, even with a 1070 on low to medium settings.

fresquito

I recently got PC1 for VR(Vive), as it clearly has the most content of the VR native games. I'm not a racing enthusiast at all, so I haven't noticed any of the things people have been complaining about, but if a lot of things have been improved, I look forward to it. The big thing for me will be the large content increase, and additional disciplines, like rallycross(off road in general).

That said, does anyone know if the VR support has been improved and is actually optimised? 'cause it's kinda disappointing how it struggles to maintain 90fps in the first game, even with a 1070 on low to medium settings.
That nobody can answer at the moment. Optimization always comes last in development, so still ways off from release builds. I'm not into VR, so I have not been following it through and through, but from patch notes and comments here and there, my general understanding is they have made good strides towards a better implementation. Andy Garton, game director, is very much into VR. I guess that's a positive for people like you.

That nobody can answer at the moment. Optimization always comes last in development, so still ways off from release builds. I'm not into VR, so I have not been following it through and through, but from patch notes and comments here and there, my general understanding is they have made good strides towards a better implementation. Andy Garton, game director, is very much into VR. I guess that's a positive for people like you.

Interesting. I do hope that they can get it implemented well. If they're still working with nVidia, they should have access to all the new VR features for the 10xx cards. Got my fingers crossed.

Pity beta access isn't open. I'd be tempted.

saladine1

I'm astonished at what has been achieved so far in terms of environmental immersion in pcars 2. I honestly don't know how they are doing what they are doing so I'll just put it down to a deal made between SMS and the devil..

Crayon

Ditto. I literally could not keep the car on the road. It's no hyperbole to say that the preset pad controls in pCARS were the worst I've ever encountered, and by quite some margin. This was a universal complaint so it baffles belief how they were ever passed as suitable for release. The bounce rate with this game must have been huge because of the awful controls. I personally know several people who abandoned the game for good within hours because they literally could not control the cars, and these were racing fans who had been looking forward to the game for years. Many, many sales must have been lost because of the pad controls.

For a long time I assumed that there must be some technical error like there was in NFS Shift (due to legacy code from that game, perhaps) but it appears that no, they were supposed to be that bad.

It's fantastic news that this has been properly addressed now, and a shame that PC1 can't be patched with these defaults.

I am very hand driving with a controller and suffer no penalty choosing controller over my wheel in general...

And while I could actually play pcars with a controller, it sucked. It required so much attention that it was distracting and ruined the game. I gave it two chances once I bought it and said fuck it in less than 3 hours total. Will not buy the sequel.

Just in case anyone is listening out there.

Grassy

It's true the default gamepad set-up is putrid, but a few users posted their settings in the PCars OT and I used bits and pieces to get the handling how I wanted. I got it good enough to be enjoyable anyway.

Mascot

It's true the default gamepad set-up is putrid, but a few users posted their settings in the PCars OT and I used bits and pieces to get the handling how I wanted. I got it good enough to be enjoyable anyway.

Your average punter with the attention span of a goldfish expects acceptable preset control from the first minute though, and quite rightly so. Good to hear that SMS seem to recognise this for pCARS2 but I fear they've already lost a big chunk of their potential market. Pad controls were a disaster in the first game.

danowat

Banned
even when you'd got the setting just about serviceable, the game would throw it's legs in the air, and all of a sudden during a race you'd just spin out for no reason.

Pjsprojects

Don't think you need a NV gpu really,it runs great maxed on my 290x.
What res are you trying to run?

DXMGT

Banned
I had some issues with the first game but definitely excited to see what they can do in the sequel.

And I like how I'm still getting payments from them to this day :p

Zeknurn

I don't know if I'm supposed to say this here, but I'll go on anyway: PC2 has RallyX, not Rally. I don't know whether this will change before release, but I highly doubt it. Post release? I don't know either.

Rallycross does make more sense as there's more overlap with the other circuit racing disciplines in the game. Thanks!

I have it on good authority that there's at least one VW rallycross car in pCARS 2.

:thumbsup:

I look forward to the car list.

Mascot

Very old screenshots:

http://simrace.pl/forum/index.php/topic/1173-zdj%C4%99cia-pcars2-rauf/

"Napisano 15 marzec 2016 17:42" - March 15. 2016

:)

Yeah, that was the original source of the images in the first post. I think the only one missing was this one, confirming Daytona Beach:

25510035310_16701e2794_b.jpg

fresquito

Yeah, that was the original source of the images in the first post. I think the only one missing was this one, confirming Daytona Beach
I would not dare talking about confirmed when the source is an outdatdd leak. Remember ovals were also confirmed for PC1...

DXMGT

Banned
I thought the first game wasnt very good on consoles, the handling, the graphics, the fps hover around 45 frames....

The handling was very good with a wheel, but gamepad support was not the best. PC sim devs always have a hard time with getting gamepad feel right. The performance was a shame but I feel the CPU's were to blame there. Or maybe SMS should have dialled back the settings even further.

I just hope project CARS actually has my CAR this time around instead of just having vehicles with sponsorship ads plastered all over them.

I will not be supporting this company, after they blatantly lied about we will be supporting PS VR. They watched their sales go up and never updated the statement. Instead they duck any question related to PS VR. So Fuck'em, lying bastards.

dakun

this was my favourite of the new Racing SIMs IP's to come out in the last 5 years. So I'm excited for this.

Top Bottom