• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars 2 |OT| Buggy Racing At The Four Seasons

That was great! :D
I felt a little sorry for him not knowing that he got it at the end.

That's a surprising observation - to me it feels spot on, incredible grip. If I had to guess one way or the other, I'd guess it has slightly too much if anything.
Yep, this car feels right and believable all around. If anything the tires are a little too forgiving, but that's a general PC2 thing.

That was great! :D
I felt a little sorry for him not knowing that he got it at the end.

That's a surprising observation - to me it feels spot on, incredible grip. If I had to guess one way or the other, I'd guess it has slightly too much if anything.
Yep, this car feels right and believable all around. If anything the tires are a little too forgiving, but that's a general PC2 thing.
Does the T150 go soft after very short use at more than 75%? I used to set my TX to 75%, but now I have it at over 90, just turn it down for langer races without downtime. I also have damping turned down in the Thrusmaster Control Panel - just in case.

@Vacantseas: Also take a look at the PC2 telemetry hud in the lower left. The FFB force histogram should be somewhat of a bell curve, if the bell is cut on the left, your FFB is too light, if you see red on the right side, it's too strong and you're losing detail. Even if the clipping of strong forces doesn't feel weird/bad to you, you definitely shouldn't get used to it, clipping is bad.

fresquito

Make sure the wheel AND pedals are FIRMLY fixed to something solid. If either move around, even a little bit, it's a killer. Especially the pedals.
Right. The chair too. Everything needs to be super fixed and you need to be in a relaxed position.

At first it will take you some time. I would suggest trying to simulate a track day rather than trying to be as fast as possible.

Mascot

Right. The chair too. Everything needs to be super fixed and you need to be in a relaxed position.

Yeah, DON'T use one of these. It's not meant for driving in..!

13365315514_6fa83bd1af_z.jpg

Thanks for all the tips guys!

Despite driving a car for 20 years, I have a feeling I'm going to be like a first time driver when I get my wheel all set up. Definitely won't be ripping off record setting laps out of the box.

markao

Couldn't get lower than 55.68 with default set-up, so made few changes. Thrown a lot of downforce on it and lowered RH, compensated with stiffer springs. Shorter gear version, like it more in the Old Hairpin/Coppice (one gear higher) and slightly more rear ARB. felt like someone gleud it to the tarmac, not sure how much I loose on the straights, but hey who cares --> faster & more fun ;)

Donington Nat. Formula Renault 3.5 - 54.983

Still getting used to more DF, but 1st sector OK, McLeans little error, made up for it in Coppice.

Has anyone here managed to get sweetfx working with this game?

My problem is the screenshots just come out blank white and the rest of sweetfx works fine like colour changes. I've tried different reshade sweetfx combos and builds. Direct copy past from other game directories that work fine. Cannot for the life of me get screenshot side to work properly.

I even tried greenshot which works with Forza 7 windows apps game but doesn't work with Pcars 2. Are all screenshot apps fucked with this game or something?

Edit, MSI afterburner works for screenshots.

GHG

Gold Member
Couldn't get lower than 55.68 with default set-up, so made few changes. Thrown a lot of downforce on it and lowered RH, compensated with stiffer springs. Shorter gear version, like it more in the Old Hairpin/Coppice (one gear higher) and slightly more rear ARB. felt like someone gleud it to the tarmac, not sure how much I loose on the straights, but hey who cares --> faster & more fun ;)

Donington Nat. Formula Renault 3.5 - 54.983

Still getting used to more DF, but 1st sector OK, McLeans little error, made up for it in Coppice.

That pit lane exit manouver to get extra angle for turn 1.

It's cheating :p

dVeLoPe

does... this... FUKING GAME... SUPPORT STEAM FAMILY SHARING?!!?!?

damnit ive ASKED THIS OVER 5 TIMES ALREADY ITS SIMPLE YES OR NO!

markao

That pit lane exit manouver to get extra angle for turn 1.

It's cheating :p
I adjusted after everyone was cheating at Long Beach turn 1 pit exit last weeek :p

But more seriously, I actually mentioned it during development, but I don't think the tech is capable of handling the edge cases like Long Beach/Donington.

Everything the game doesn't invalidate should be fair game, unless maybe it's actually cutting a good chunk of a corner. It's not Markao's fault that the game allows this pit lane maneuver.
But I agree that it sucks when you're the one finding out about certain "exploits" really late. I'm still wondering how many people who gave McLaren's World's Fastest Gamer rFactor 2 qualifying a chance and could have qualified had they known how would you could go in some of those corners. Lots of people must have just done 5 laps(within usual track limits), thought "that was quite good, could maybe do 1-2 seconds better but not more", then saw how far off the pace they were compared to the top times and stopped trying right away.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Everything the game doesn't invalidate should be fair game, unless maybe it's actually cutting a good chunk of a corner. It's not Markao's fault that the game allows this pit lane maneuver.
But I agree that it sucks when you're the one finding out about certain "exploits" really late. I'm still wondering how many people who gave McLaren's World's Fastest Gamer rFactor 2 qualifying a chance and could have qualified had they known how would you could go in some of those corners. Lots of people must have just done 5 laps(within usual track limits), thought "that was quite good, could maybe do 1-2 seconds better but not more", then saw how far off the pace they were compared to the top times and stopped trying right away.
We should compile a list of all these grey area track limits. Does cutting across the pit exit at Laguna Seca invalidate your time? Or using the tarmac to the right for a wide entry for the Wurth curve at the Red Bull Ring? I think there are pylons there but I don't think your lap gets invalidated for hitting those.

does... this... FUKING GAME... SUPPORT STEAM FAMILY SHARING?!!?!?

damnit ive ASKED THIS OVER 5 TIMES ALREADY ITS SIMPLE YES OR NO!
Maybe nobody knows? There doesn't seem to be a way of checking without actually doing it. It's possible that nobody contributing to this thread uses the feature.

I don't think the tech is capable of handling the edge cases like Long Beach/Donington.
I understand it would be difficult to have an off-track detection zone overlap the actual pit exit, but surely they could still improve Donington a bit with a detection zone shaped something like this:

don1hms0z.jpg

We should compile a list of all these grey area track limits. Does cutting across the pit exit at Laguna Seca invalidate your time? Or using the tarmac to the right for a wide entry for the Wurth curve at the Red Bull Ring? I think there are pylons there but I don't think your lap gets invalidateD for hitting those.
Laguna - yes it does. Wurth curve at RBR - no it doesn't, but if you hit those cones you destroy your front wing (and damage appears to be forced on for Time Trials). In any case I don't see a benefit to being out there...

FrankCanada97

Laguna - yes it does. Wurth curve at RBR - no it doesn't, but if you hit those cones you destroy your front wing (and damage appears to be forced on for Time Trials). In any case I don't see a benefit to being out there...

I always see drivers in Formula 3 or ADAC GT drift wide beyond the painted white line before turning in at the Wurth curve.

https://youtu.be/1A9Su2U5TR0?t=7m52s

But then again, they already have almost all four wheels on the kerb beforehand. Would that invalidate the lap?

Speaking of pylons....I know many tracks had them in PC1 as well, but whats with the pylons on corners that don't have them in real life? For a game that tries its damnedest to be as realistic as possible, why are there pylons on corners that just aren't there for real?

To stop people from cutting corners? Well then whats the white line boundaries for?

FrankCanada97

Speaking of pylons....I know many tracks had them in PC1 as well, but whats with the pylons on corners that don't have them in real life? For a game that tries its damnedest to be as realistic as possible, why are there pylons on corners that just aren't there for real?

To stop people from cutting corners? Well then whats the white line boundaries for?

Yeah, it's really weird seeing the bollards on Spa when they're always removed for race events in real life. Ditto for whatever those orange things are at Road America.

Yeah, it's really weird seeing the bollards on Spa when they're always removed for race events in real life. Ditto for whatever those orange things are at Road America.

Road America I especially dislike it, as that's my "home" track I've attended races at many times for various disciplines and never seen anything like that at those corners.

Indy Road course comes to mind too. It's especially obnoxious in the Formula 3.5 career mode when the AI hits those things and damages their wings.

I always see drivers in Formula 3 or ADAC GT drift wide beyond the painted white line before turning in at the Wurth curve.

https://youtu.be/1A9Su2U5TR0?t=7m52s

But then again, they already have almost all four wheels on the kerb beforehand. Would that invalidate the lap?
They must have widened the kerb at some point last year - PC2's version is out of date, plus I think it's thinner than how the real kerb used to be. It's difficult to place cars in the sim the way Norris does it in F3, as most cars (including the Formula C) are wider than the PC2 kerb there. But if you do go fully wide, it doesn't invalidate the lap, there's just no benefit as you've likely touched the gravel. If you quickly move further to the right on the tarmac part at the end (after smashing away the cones with damaged disabled), it does seem to trigger a brief 'slow down to avoid penalty' warning - but as with most of those, it disappears without you slowing down.

I guess the benefit of using that little area depends on the type of car to some extent. It would become easier/more inviting if the kerb was wider like it is in reality now, but it's still not a major benefit I think.

Hamilton didn't use it in 2015 when the kerb was thinner (similar but still wider than it looks in PC2), but also avoided it in 2016 when the kerb had been widened. He used it more this year, but still not as much as that Norris footage, presumably because the 2017 car is wider. The DTM drivers didn't appear to use it much in quali this year either.

And I agree, there are far too many cones and bollards on the tracks in this game. They seem pointless, as the off-track detection is effective and generally well-judged.

I managed a 56.543 last night. It's no alien time but I'm pretty happy as that's the most confident and in control I have felt in a sim. Pretty amazing what a little practise can do!

56.543 - turtlesbonanza (Tails) // PC, wheel, authentic assists, custom setup

Hamilton didn't use it in 2015 when the kerb was thinner (similar but still wider than it looks in PC2), but also avoided it in 2016 when the kerb had been widened. He used it more this year, but still not as much as that Norris footage, presumably because the 2017 car is wider. The DTM drivers didn't appear to use it much in quali this year either.

The curbs here have been very problematic since they changed them.

There were a rash of suspension failures last year (2016), including to Rosberg. That would have kept LH off the curbs. Not to mention they were super-aggro with off-tracks that weekend. That 2015 lap looked to be by choice. I think he chose not to cut it close with the slow car, and late apexed the corner. Thus didn't need all the exit curb.

I know that SMS was catching a fair bit of grief on the official forums for not publishing detailed patch notes, but they'd do well to highlight some of the interesting additions in 2.0 and future updates.

Case in point: the newly optional 'Comp' tires for Group C prototypes, which appear to given them some needed bite. Before, they had struck me as perhaps too easy to hustle and take liberties with, (there's no way a driver of my skills should be able to easily beat the XJR-9's qualifying time at Daytona on the first flying lap), but on the new rubber, the cars seem to have a bit less corner grip and feel much livelier under braking. I'm still running a bit faster than the real car, but much closer than on the 'automatic by weather' tire compound.

FrankCanada97

What are everyone's thoughts on the balancing of all of the classes? GT3 being the most popular seem to be pretty well balanced, but I'm not so sure about the cars in the GTO class. Same with the LMP900 class. I think with those classes, there are cars which a majority of people online seem to gravitate towards. It also doesn't help when you have cars from different decades in the same class.

At first I was wondering how anyone got under 1 minute on that track but then I figured it out I was doing the wrong Donington, lol. On Park National I could only get down to 1:01:20. Getting used to my new wheel (Thrustmaster T300 Alcantara). This is on PC.

What are everyone's thoughts on the balancing of all of the classes? GT3 being the most popular seem to be pretty well balanced, but I'm not so sure about the cars in the GTO class. Same with the LMP900 class. I think with those classes, there are cars which a majority of people online seem to gravitate towards. It also doesn't help when you have cars from different decades in the same class.
I'd be impressed if someone can answer this adequately. It takes a lot of time and effort to test BOP in every scenario across a full class of cars with open setups! I haven't noticed a GTO or LMP900 car being particularly 'OP', but maybe I've not discovered it yet. I've barely driven half of those cars, and only for a few laps each.

Not overpowered in the bop or hp sense, but I noticed the Audi 90 GTO does over 7.5 bar turbo boost according to the gauge in the upper left corner of the cockpit. Also the front arb is so stiff compared to the rear that it lifts the inner front wheel in tight corners as soon as you start accelerating, which makes even less sense considering it should have loads of turbo lag if you drive like it me and not keep the throttle slightly pressed under braking to prevent loosing turbo pressure(or god knows how many other techniques there were that I'm not familiar with).

So Im itching for a decent Sim racer and I was waiting for GTS to come out for comparison sake. How does PC2 compare to GTS for those who have both? Ive been a long time GT fan but there seems to be a lot of stuff about GTS that Im not thrilled about: always online, lack of rotating races, overwhelming emphasis on online, etc.

How do you guys think these two compare? Also I would be playing with a gamepad for the time being. I want to get a wheel but cant justify $600 for a wheel and chair set up anytime soon.

FrankCanada97

So Im itching for a decent Sim racer and I was waiting for GTS to come out for comparison sake. How does PC2 compare to GTS for those who have both? Ive been a long time GT fan but there seems to be a lot of stuff about GTS that Im not thrilled about: always online, lack of rotating races, overwhelming emphasis on online, etc.

How do you guys think these two compare? Also I would be playing with a gamepad for the time being. I want to get a wheel but cant justify $600 for a wheel and chair set up anytime soon.
Well, what are you looking for in a sim racer? I can only say that I enjoy Project Cars 2's career mode because it's the only one where it tries to portray the journey of a race car driver. There's a varied selection of cars and of course a massive number of circuits.

I like the inclusion of a safety rating and performance rating for online play, because now I have an idea of what kind drivers populate the lobbies you're in. It also gives you an incentive to drive clean and try to get the best rating possible.

SMS have been pretty generous with community time trial events, but I would have liked it if they did something similar to GT Sport with the daily races. The online lobbies have mostly always been GT3 class cars. I use a controller to play and the out of the box settings are okay, but I tweaked them for personal preference.

Actually, it's a shame SMS/Bandai Namco didn't put out a demo. I think it would have helped rather than harm sales.

danowat

Banned

They're very, very different.

GTS plays spectacularly well with a pad, and has some of the best online racing I've experienced in a while, and looks amazing.

PC2, has single player content out the wazoo, and is fully dynamic in terms of weather and ToD, and has proper sim physics.

IMO, they offer different enough experiences to warrant them coexisting.

Short history:
I really liked GT5 and GT6 (100%ed even), I played the GTS closed beta for over 25h, I didn't like pCARS1 all that much.

With a wheel it's not even a question, Project CARS2 definitely then.
In my opinion this is the most advanced tire model out there and even if it's not tuned quite perfect for realism and a little uneven depending what car you pick (there are still some that are somewhat awful and very off), about a third of the cars in pCARS2 though are really "wow! *big smile on face* ". Then there are the changing conditions, having raced all these tracks over and over mostly in sunny and cloudy weather in the summer in lots of other games, it's something different with the changing conditions, or the brown leafs in autumn or even the low sun in the winter. You don't get that anywhere else.

Now with a controller... I'm probably the wrong guy to ask, but I might enjoy GTS or even Forza 7 more. These games are made for a controller, unlike Project CARS, which has actual sim physics(sure, a bit much grip, a bit too forgiving over the limit, still way more sim than Forza and GT), modeled suspensions geometry that leads to accurate bump steer for example, correct CoG and spin inertia that can easily spin you out under braking or even just from lift-off oversteer. These things are harder to notice without FFB from a wheel and even harder to counteract with just the stick on a controller. With an FFB wheel the forces from the tires, working through the steering geometry on a real life steering wheel are modeled and would theoretically let you feel exactly those forces on an FFB wheel, which lets you react intuitively and correct. GTS and Forza don't have this kind of FFB.
Also in pCARS2 the ABS is under-sophisticated and not very realistic which is also not helping when you're dealing with very different brake pedal travel until tire lock up for each car.
The game is just harder on a controller, even if SMS have some countersteer controller-aid finally in pCARS2. In GTS these effects are (unrealistically) toned down to make the game more accessible in general but especially for controller play.

But don't forget to consider the different track count of each game as well (even if you love what is there, after 100h of play less than 20 tracks are super boring, I remember that from Forza 5 very well). And in my opinion GTS's car list is somewhat boring. No cool old cars (I think the Audi Quattro S1 Evo 2 is the only one I've seen in GTS so far).
The AI in pCARS2 is far from perfect, but mostly because of uneven pace per lap (super fast in some sections, slow in others). You can have a good race close to them, they will give you some room, but also take a defensive line on some straights or try to overtake somewhat aggressively depending on aggression and difficulty.

The career aspect is underwhelming in both games in my opinion. The kind of career mode I would want is what Codemasters F1 games do (or the new EA Sports titles, Madden's story mode in pCARS or Assetto Corsa... nice).

SMS have been pretty generous with community time trial events, but I would have liked it if they did something similar to GT Sport with the daily races. The online lobbies have mostly always been GT3 class cars.
Organzied matchmaking, even if it's only open at certain times per day would be great. Then even I would play online.

Down to 54.901

Left one tenth in T1 and two on T2, but i don´t think i can go any faster on T3, which was a 19,101

I was reading what Casey Ringley said about tire temps and pressure, but at least for hotlaps that is not right at all.

The Renault is a lot better with pressures as low as possible. 0.90/0.70 bar on my setup. Like in Nascar and so many other series for qualify, go as low as you can.

It was nice to play it around with the settings, because i finally found something that makes the car predictable, free of lift off and power oversteer and just pretty much under control.

If anyone found this car hard to control or to master, i would love to hear your opinion after testing my setup.

As for matchmaking, yes, this game desperately needs it, specially with so few people playing it online. Hopefully it´s something they can add in a patch.

fresquito

Matchmaking is a no brainer. I've ended up starting a career just because I never seem to be in the mood to find a suitable lobby for me. Multiplayer really needs some structure. But I'm not keen it will happen in the short term, if ever.

dVeLoPe

can anyone that owns this please take 5 minutes out of yout time (ill pay if i have to) to setup steam family sharing for this game and let me know if its shareable?

i want to get this but only if i can share it with my friends please let me know!!!

Mascot

can anyone that owns this please take 5 minutes out of yout time (ill pay if i have to) to setup steam family sharing for this game and let me know if its shareable?

i want to get this but only if i can share it with my friends please let me know!!!

How much are you willing to pay?

Makikou

It's shareable I shared with a teammate on release day. You can donate to my PayPal

Mascot

It's shareable I shared with a teammate on release day. You can donate to my PayPal

I've no idea why he didn't just download it, try Steam Family Sharing, then refund it if it didn't work instead of going on a multi-thread rant.

Or ask the question on the official forums.

Ho hum.

So i've got the game set up with my wheel now, and man is there some adjustment period. I've been playing games with controllers all these years and driving a game like this feels so foreign to me (despite driving a car in real life). My times are so much slower and just getting a feel of things is taking some time.

I was doing some laps on Imola in a Ferrari GTE car and eventually started getting in a rhythm, but times were still on the slow side.

I definitely see how easy it can be to fall down the sim-game rabbit hole now that I have a setup without a controller. Even with some basic pedals and a wheel its so much more intuitive regarding the FFB and what a car is doing while driving. it's pretty cool!

Mascot

So i've got the game set up with my wheel now, and man is there some adjustment period. I've been playing games with controllers all these years and driving a game like this feels so foreign to me (despite driving a car in real life). My times are so much slower and just getting a feel of things is taking some time.

I was doing some laps on Imola in a Ferrari GTE car and eventually started getting in a rhythm, but times were still on the slow side.

I definitely see how easy it can be to fall down the sim-game rabbit hole now that I have a setup without a controller. Even with some basic pedals and a wheel its so much more intuitive regarding the FFB and what a car is doing while driving. it's pretty cool!

Sounds like VR is the next logical step. DO IT.

Sounds like VR is the next logical step. DO IT.

Trust me, I've been contemplating it. I think racing games are the only reason I'd get VR. My GPU would need a bit up an upgrade first I think, and that's first on the list. I have a GTX 960, so I think just out of the recommended specs.

FrankCanada97

I have a question about pit strategies. If you are making changes to a default pit strategy and you change tires without touching the tire pressures, when you pit using that strategy will it leave the tire pressure to what you had in your setup or the default tire pressure in the pit strategy?

fresquito

I have a question about pit strategies. If you are making changes to a default pit strategy and you change tires without touching the tire pressures, when you pit using that strategy will it leave the tire pressure to what you had in your setup or the default tire pressure in the pit strategy?
I think it is the later when you do changes on the fly. Don't quote me on that, though.

Top Bottom