• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars 2 Review thread

danowat

Banned
Opencritic - 82 Strong

ACG video review - Wait for sale

Hobby Consolas - 9/10
Project CARS 2 is an ode to driving video games that will undoubtedly delight the most demanding at the wheel. Maybe it's a place behind the grid than its predecessor in terms of control, but of course, if we talk about cars, circuits, possibilities, disciplines and options, it strikes a good advance on the right.

MSPoweruser - 8/10
Overall, Project CARS 2 is a great game which is elevated by its career mode. The multiplayer offerings are good but I don't really like playing racing games with others so it's not that important to me personally. They're still great if you must know. The main way I evaluate racing simulators is how well they control and how easy they are for beginners to enjoy. Project CARS 2 isn't a game for beginners and if you want to get into it I would compare time spent learning to what I had to do for Elite: Dangerous which is a great space simulator with a steep learning curve. Just keep that in mind when picking up this title because once you get into it it's incredibly rewarding. It just take a while to get there.

IGN Spain - 8.7
Do we have a new king of driving? Maybe in terms of driving itself, but certainly in the face of the most complete game. Of course, we have to admit that we were expecting a little more from Project CARS 2. The driving is somewhat irregular and the Trajectory mode does not get hooked. On the other hand, the configuration options and the LiveTrack 3.0 make it, in the street, the most complete driving game ever and surely for many years. In addition, the online system can avoid many problems by separating players by skill and discipline on the track. Of course, we have the feeling that Project Cars in 2015 was better than Project CARS 2 in 2017, at least in terms of revolution and options, making it clear that Project CARS 2 is, today, a better game. Slightly Mad Studios has opted for a "more and better" in this sequel.

AreaJugones - 9/10
Project Cars 2 meets and promises. Overcoming its predecessor was not an easy task in any sense, but this sequel has adapted well and the balance between gameplay and technique is impressive. A total simulator where everything is possible, Karts, Formula 1, Rallying, Touring Virtually everything we can think of can be done and enjoyed. A fun and transparent game that comes to full from the start with all the vehicles and circuits available since we started to play. A work to match to become the best driving simulator of this year 2017 where hours and hours of fun are more than assured.

Eurogamer - too buggy to recommend at launch
Some of these are known issues, and I've no doubt many of them will be addressed in the coming weeks or months, but know that on launch day Project Cars 2 is every bit as spotty as its predecessor. It's a shame, as it obscures an otherwise remarkable achievement from Slightly Mad Studios. When it lands - when I'm deep into the dark heart of the Nordschleife as the sun sinks and fog rolls in while the tuned thunder of an Aston Martin Vantage GT3 peaks - there's simply nothing else like it. But it's still too patchy and too inconsistent to be the big ticket contender it clearly has aspirations to be. Instead, Project Cars 2 is a clubman racer, one that oozes authenticity despite its many rough edges. It's not going to earn the series or the sport many new fans, but if you can endure the hardships it places on you, you just might end up loving it.

WCCF Tech - 9/10
There's an undeniable quality to Project CARS 2. It's possibly the most realistic racing sim around, with an almost inordinate amount of detail that's gone into every car, track and the weather and how everything is interconnected. This makes the lack of accessibility for those who struggle with simulation and who'd prefer an arcade mode all the more annoying. Is it a great game? Likely the best racing sim around. Does it need to open itself up to those less skilled? Yes.

Cubed3 - 7/10 (Very good)
Compared to the original, Project CARS 2 makes substantial leaps toward a more authentic and realistic race experience. The handling models, and tyre wear models, combined with the dynamic weather, which not only makes the game look gorgeous, but creates a fantastic additional selling point, adds up to something very impressive indeed. While not all its lofty ambitions seem to have paid off, it excels in delivering driving contrast and a very substantial single-player experience. Players will likely want to have several drivers on the go in career mode, whilst creating dreamlike events themselves, with real and scalable practice and qualifying sessions, too, which means that the sandbox aspect of Project CARS 2 really is something to value. The rivals out there have reason to be worried. This is a game made by fans for fans, and while it's not perfect, it's unique, and a hell of a lot of fun.

IGN - 9.2
Project CARS 2 plays like a pumped-up version of the classic TOCA Race Driver 3 from 2006, redressing many of the complaints levelled at the original. The handling has been tuned to a T, the content is excellently curated, and the amount of variety and racing available in it is delightfully daunting. Even if you don't care about the developer's esports aspirations there's still a mammoth solo racer here that's always ready to roll whenever you are. Now and then I'll encounter a display quirk or a bug that may botch a race start, and the AI desperately needs a lesson in first corners, but when I'm out on track wringing ten-tenths out of my car against just the right AI level – one eye on the car ahead and the other on the clouds above – this is about as good as real racing gets right now.

Pushsquare - score in progress
Project CARS 2 gives you loads to do and the incentive to experiment with all of its content, too. The title manages to tie together a dizzying number of vehicular disciplines, and it's a lot of fun flitting from one to the next. A tight handling model and the freedom to explore all of the release's content freely means that you'll lose a lot of time to this motorsport marvel, but presentation shortcomings do take the polish off this package the teensiest bit.

The Outerhaven - 4/5
In the end, Project CARS 2 takes everything that Slightly Mad Studios did for the original game, polishes it up and puts out perhaps the best racing title available on the PlayStation 4. Tons of cars, more tracks than you can shake a stick at, a full-fledged career mode and online options. Better controls, fantastic visuals, and PlayStation 4 Pro support. Yes, there are some rough areas and the sound isn't as good as I would have liked. Still, in the end, Project CARS 2 is an enjoyable and fantastic effort that I'm sure PlayStation 4 racing fans are going to enjoy.

Gamereactor - 8/10
+
Great physics, good sound, decent controls, nice presentation, loads of settings, solid frame-rate.
-
Bad sense of speed, weak breaking ability in some cars, boring career mode.

Spaziogames - 8.5/10
Project CARS 2 is able to evolve on the content front everything that was seen in the previous chapter. The gameplay allowed by the Madness Engine stays incredibly on the new tracks and new categories of vehicles available, although we must admit that some combinations may have some traction and adhesion problems. Dynamic weather management, coupled with the constant change of circuit conditions, is the strong point of the title and show their best side with rain and worst climatic conditions, both in graphic appearance and in physical change.
Unfortunately, artificial intelligence is unfortunately not perfect, and perhaps he wants to take the longest leg of his leg and dances between a strong aggression and an excessive zeal, passing through difficult times to handle with incredible lap times and passes on the razor wire, and moments of noticeable performance decline.

Saudigamer - Interesting
A professional racing game, realistic poses a difficulty that may not suit everyone. If you are looking for a fun race, go to other games such as Forza Horizon and Need For Speed. If you are a fan of the challenge and realistic racing, Project CARS 2 offers you all this and more. A huge and varied content in the profession, especially in races and side events that overcome the character of boredom and repetition in regular tournaments

Gaming Nexus - 8 (Good)
What Project Cars 2 is could be described as a ”complete racing simulator" – and that would be great if everybody were racers. Unfortunately, for a gaming system tailored to – for the most part – regular drivers (and the occasional gear-head), this game is 70% calculating and 30% fun. It certainly gives the most feel for the road of any sim I've played, but at the cost of exhaustion.

With all of the trailers, experts, and attention to detail, I expected Project Cars 2 to take the trophy as racing sim of the year. It is definitely not. What you DO get is a game that challenges you to a frustrating degree and does so with beautiful precision. It sadly also takes a bunch of the fun out of it too.

Multiplayer.it - 8.8/10
PRO
Huge number of slopes and cars, all extremely curated
Driving system is largely customizable, more realistic and simulative than in the past
Extreme variety and great content content
Dynamic weather and paths that change according to precipitation
AGAINST
Some minor bugs annoy you
On artificial and physical intelligence there is still work to be done
Little "outline" makes the career impersonal

God Is A Geek - 8/10
Unlike other games in this genre, Project CARS 2 doesn't claim to be particularly accessible. It is unashamedly a full simulation of motor racing, which will limit its audience somewhat, especially if you're wanting another Gran Turismo or Forza experience. While it is much more accessible than its predecessor, thanks to the new controller settings (that remain fully customisable, and I suggest you do just that to get the most out of the handling), it is still far more brutal and unforgiving than anything else in its niche. But it's also the most comprehensive racer out there, and even its AI issues won't stop you from having a fun and rewarding time.

Gamepro.de - 89/100
Project Cars 2 makes simulation fans of almost all motor sport classes happy. But the brittle career is disturbing. "

Gamersyde.com - First impressions
+ Pretty good-looking game in gameplay
+ Cars look great
+ Excellent engine sounds
+ Damages are pretty well done
+ Varied types of motosports
+ Many tracks to drive on
+ Dynamic weather system, day/night cycle, seasons
+ 180 cars is quite honest
+ Ferrari and Lamborghini are in
+ Rallycross, is cool
+ 1440p on PS4 Pro
+ Better performance overall
+ HDR compatible on consoles
+ The driving model remains solid
+ Much better with a gamepad than in PCARS 1
+ Some of the tracks have a snowy version
- The game can be frustrating
- The AI can be a major pain in the neck
- Collisions aren't always the best
- Driving on snow/ice/rain might be too demanding for some
- No new Point A to B stages
- A sort of Project CARS 1.5 vibe technically
- Cars leave no marks on dirt or snow
- Tearing on PS4 Pro and a few occasional frame drops
- Environnements look a bit dated now
- The flickering of shadows can be distracting
- Why can't we choose to hear the engineer's voice in the TV speakers?
- Manual wipers aren't assigned to any button by default
- So many possible things you can assigns, and so few buttons
- Tyre sound is way too loud by default
- Latency in menus and long, long, long loading times
- Could have used a bit more polish
- Some bugs, some of which were already there in the first game
- 30 fps replays, why not, but they could look better

Rock Paper Shotgun - no score
Project Cars 2 addresses most of the flaws of its predecessor while expanding its scope, and in doing so has carved out a new niche for the series. It's not the absolute best sim for any given discipline – if you're really into Rallycross, get Dirt 4, and if you're really into open wheel cars, spring for iRacing (if it's in the budget) – but if you just want to buy one game that allows you to keep coming back and mixing it up, the sheer variety of tracks, cars, race formats, and options means that this game will keep you happy. It might not be the absolute best in any of its classes, but if you want to race and have fun in a bunch of ways without buying a bunch of expensive games, this might be your golden ticket.

Windows Central - 4/5
Although the first Project Cars didn't quite capture the hearts of mainstream gamers, the sequel has a much better shot thanks to its polished career mode, wealth of motorsport types, and unparalleled track selection. The difficulty is still on the unapproachable side, but racing sim fans will likely stick it out anyway. I'll be surprised if Forza 7 doesn't top this one overall, but it's still great to have options – especially one that appears on both Xbox and PlayStation.

PCGamesN - 9/10
Ultimately, then, Project Cars 2 is not a racer in which you ever feel compelled to simply go through the motions. It's a game that centres you firmly as an active participant. It's a game that makes you want to be a racer, and that might just be the best compliment that can be bestowed upon a representative of this genre. You just need to make sure you've got the patience required to work out exactly how best to begin consuming what it has to offer.

PCGamer - 89/100
Serious racing for serious racers. Extraordinarily convincing at each of the disciplines on offer.

Digitally Downloaed - 4.5/5
Project CARS 2 is coming at a time when Microsoft and Sony are releasing their own brands of racing sims, with both Forza Motorsport 7 and Gran Turismo Sport landing in October. In regards to how Project CARS 2 handles itself, it will be Forza and GT that will be facing an uphill battle to be the premier racing sim, as Project CARS 2 simply hits every single thing out of the park.

Stevivor - 7.5/10
As a racing simulator, PCARS2 is the winner, but when presentation and overall enjoyment are considered, it unfortunately falls a little flat. Fans of the franchise will appreciate the significant improvements made with this sequel, and die-hard racing fans will look past any graphical issues as they get immersed with the roaring sounds of the many different engines and the squeal of the tires and brakes as they tackle the unbelievable track list. For everyone else, the tinkering and challenge might just not be a worthwhile investment.

danowat

Banned
I'm keeping my eyes on OC, MC and google, but if anyone comes across any reviews, post them and I'll add them to the OP.

terrible

Banned
The controller complaints are interesting. The mspoweruser review directly compares it to Forza and says it's harder to control than Forza. What settings do they use in Forza and what did they use in pCARS 2? That would make a difference. The default Forza autosteer and autobrake? ABS on/off? Stability control? I haven't played the game so I'm not saying they are incorrect but there's not enough info there.

Team VVV will straighten things out I reckon.

fresquito

I have played the game and the controls comments are baffling to me. HobbyConsolas even says PC1 controls better, which is as far from the truth as it gets. The driving physics are so much better and more organic, the FFB is way better than it was in PC1, both out of the gate and potentially and gamepad controls are good, while in PC1 I couldn't go straught, in PC2 I can race, even though I'm not a pad player.

Either these people don't really play much racing sims or the build that was sent to them is borked.

KORNdoggy

Wait, are those graphics real? It looks like it's running on low.

it certainly doesn't look good. i saw some snow footage a week or so back and that looked awful too, but i assumed it was just a very specific video and weather conditions causing it. but the entire things looks pretty bad...i assume all that youtube footage is taken from the console versions?

xrnzaaas

This is definitely a wait for a patch (or two or three) for me. The flickering stuff around the circuit would drive me nuts and I also still remember how much patching the first game needed before they sorted out the biggest issues.

Klocker

I imagine that a high spec PC version would look great. It's just unfortunate that the Xbox/PS version won't get that one.
Xbox X will though, free upgrade basically when the machine drops

Personally I think it controls way better than the original on gamepad. For sure.

Sweet. It was a bit confusing in review thanks for clearing up

Not Drake

I'm eager to buy it, but I need to hear about the PS4Pro performance. I'll be fine with minor (if any) graphics upgrade over PS4 PCars, but I need that performance. 50-60 will do, but 30-60 is too jarring even for me.

danowat

Banned
Are the issues (especially shadow and LOD) present on PC as well?

Judging by this comment from the SMS head, I'd imagine so.

That's shadow draw in on 3d trees in the distance. It's always going to happen to an extent without baking. There is no way to remove it, yet still have 3d trees AND a fully 24 hour dynamic time of day system where said trees shadow themselves. It's improved though as mentioned above in the next patch. It is much more noticeable in replays where the frustum is focused on the action.

Sebmugi

I will wait in more to decide whether to buy it or not..
if the gameplay is really improved why not .. because it is not for the technical part that I will crack .. :/

The controller complaints are interesting. The mspoweruser review directly compares it to Forza and says it's harder to control than Forza. What settings do they use in Forza and what did they use in pCARS 2? That would make a difference. The default Forza autosteer and autobrake? ABS on/off? Stability control? I haven't played the game so I'm not saying they are incorrect but there's not enough info there.

Team VVV will straighten things out I reckon.

Isn't Project Cars also much more of a proper sim than Forza as well? Makes sense that controlling the cars would thus be more unforgiving.

Isn't Project Cars also much more of a proper sim than Forza as well? Makes sense that controlling the cars would thus be more unforgiving.

Project Cars - at least the first one, not played the second - had controller issues that weren't about the car physics.

There was a disconnect between controller and cars, feeling like you were controlling something that was then controlling the cars. It often felt like playing the pad, rather than the car.

It led to moments where things went wrong and it felt unfair. Where you didn't feel you'd made a mistake, but the controls mistranslated your intentions.

Freeman76

I'll go with Karak on this one.

Its got to be worth at least waiting for some known sites to drop reviews, I don't even know who those people are he put in the OP lol. One doesn't even review it from the MP side of things because he doesn't do MP racing, I mean ffs why even bother.

fresquito

Project Cars - at least the first one, not played the second - had controller issues that weren't about the car physics.

There was a disconnect between controller and cars, feeling like you were controlling something that was then controlling the cars. It often felt like playing the pad, rather than the car.

It led to moments where things went wrong and it felt unfair. Where you didn't feel you'd made a mistake, but the controls mistranslated your intentions.
Agreed. PC1 gamepad controls were simply bad. PC2 controls are much improved. It is also true that physics are not finetuned with gamepad controls in mind. Probably setup can help with some car/tracks combos, but still, it's just natural that a car is harder to control with a stick than it is with a wheel.

MilkyJoe

Never had this problem.

The controls in PCars were pretty rank on a pad. The amount of options for tweaking minor stuff made it pretty clear that the devs had no idea how to make it play properly.

Its got to be worth at least waiting for some known sites to drop reviews, I don't even know who those people are he put in the OP lol. One doesn't even review it from the MP side of things because he doesn't do MP racing, I mean ffs why even bother.

Yeah, always worth waiting for reviews from well-known sources rather than guys who are just so happy to have received a free game that they'll give a high score by default.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Wtf, some games get rather close before falling under my radar in terms of invisibility, but I straight up forgot this game existed until this thread

Have been playing my review code for the last few days and since the embargo has lifted, i think i can comment on graphics. The cars are absolutely beautiful but the tracks are kinda meh. Base PS4.

danowat

Banned

I'd certainly agree with waiting for more reviews, as for the unknown sites, Hobby consolas are often used in review threads, think they are quite a popular site.

Karak

Have been playing my review code for the last few days and since the embargo has lifted, i think i can comment on graphics. The cars are absolutely beautiful but the tracks are kinda meh. Base PS4.

Ya have to agree that some tracks weren't great. But there are a couple that are fantastic in the dynamic weather. Like some just, work a little better with it I guess. And when you are blasting down a track and that water spray is like 20 feet tall that looks epic

fresquito

I'd certainly agree with waiting for more reviews, as for the unknown sites, Hobby consolas are often used in review threads, think they are quite a popular site.
They were the biggest printed console outlet in Spain for years. It's super focused on mainstream gaming and will accept every money hat they can have. I still remember when they gave early GameCube titles high scores, then the Chief Editor was sacked and the new one forced re-reviews on all these games to score much lower.

dugdug

Banned
I guess I was playing it wrong. Obvs exaggerated the "80 hours" but I got PC1 launch, and bailed after 10 hours because I was still kart racing and it was terrible. Want to believe in an improved sequel.

JamboGT

If you chose single seater career (can't remember the exact term they used) the karting got a bit tiresome, you don't have to do that though.

danowat

Banned
I guess I was playing it wrong. Obvs exaggerated the "80 hours" but I got PC1 launch, and bailed after 10 hours because I was still kart racing and it was terrible. Want to believe in an improved sequel.

You can choose to start in any discipline, in PC1 or PC2

Just for your information, NeoGAF predicts a MC of 86, by courtesy of TylerDurden4321's analysis.

2017-09-18_12-13-19s3r5q.png

GHG

Gold Member
If you chose single seater career (can't remember the exact term they used) the karting got a bit tiresome, you don't have to do that though.

It wasn't called single seater racing, it was literally called karting. If you went with zero to hero then you would start with karting but that was all explained in game.

Better to wait for Inside Sim Racing or Team VVV review, if they say it's good then it's good for me

Yep this is where I'm at with racing games as well. It's interesting to hear what other outlets have to say about racing games but I give most weight to those two since they only cover racing games.

Jimrpg

Watched the ACG review, and Karak hit the nail on the head when he said PC1 doesn't get the feeling of the cars right. And its sad that (but sort of expected) that PC2 is more of the same though improved some what.

If you're on PC, Assetto Corsa has by far the better feeling driving mechanics that feel intense and challenging vs PC1's lack of feedback and difference in all their cars. What makes PC1 even worse was the force feedback in wheels was non existent. The career mode was also a snore, its a shame as PC1 was a very good looking game, and PC2 with a couple of patches could also be a good looking game too.

JamboGT

It wasn't called single seater racing, it was literally called karting. If you went with zero to hero then you would start with karting but that was all explained in game.

Yep this is where I'm at with racing games as well. It's interesting to hear what other outlets have to say about racing games but I give most weight to those two since they only cover racing games.

That's the one, I haven't started the career since launch day.

Am not bothered by reviews at all, all comes down to how I feel about it when playing nowadays.

Top Bottom