• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars 3 WILL NOT feature pitstops

Barnabot

bullshit... barna...

"Kris Pope: Lead Designer: So yes, if you want to get out on-track on a cold morning at Spa and just go drive and tinker with your setup, that’s obviously still there. And actually, if you do, you’ll notice that the driving physics have been improved (we’ve really nailed the over the limit feel). The key to this is the driver journey—the upgrades, the racing, the feel of the cars from the driver’s seat. Making the driving fun and the visceral enjoyment of driving a car at speed that sort of echoes that emotional connection we all get from motorsport.
Nick Pope: Principal Vehicle Handling Designer: So, for example, by removing tyre wear and fuel usage, we could in turn remove pitstops, which resulted in much closer and more consistent racing. Thus, the whole process of getting to the part that matters most—the actual racing and driving of these amazing cars and their upgrades—became a far easier and more streamlined affair. All these game design decisions have had great results in terms of the racing— with the tyres at their optimal range all the time and fuel at optimal load, there is no break in the action to stop for more fuel or new rubber. It’s pure racing action, and it’s just made Project CARS 3 into a much better racing-driver experience.
David Kirk: Principal Physics Programmer: Though none of that means we’ve simplified the tyre model. It’s just all happening under the hood. Overall, this change has kept the focus on the racing and less on engineering tactics. It makes the racing fairer—it’s about what you do behind the wheel that counts—and as a driver it makes the experience a lot closer to what you’d get in the real world.
Doug Arnao: Physics and AI director: The AI has also responded well to this new direction and it makes them a lot more predictable and really human-like. And obviously there’s no rubber-banding.
David Kirk: Principal Physics Programmer: As Casey said, the core of the simulation is still the core of the game, but we’ve really made Project CARS 3 about the driver. In the end, racing and driving is actually meant to be a fun and rewarding experience, and being competitive in a race should be more about your skills and the upgrades and so on, and less about whether you can afford to sit and spend countless hours deep-tuning every layer of your setup. The moment-to-moment experience of the franchise remains as it always was, we’ve just really focused-in on what makes a driving game—and what makes driving—such an emotional and cool experience."

check more details here:

suck on that project cars fans :(

LokusAbriss

Good luck with that strategy. They will not compete with Forza or GT. Forza Horizon is still the best arcade game out there to beat and I dont see a chance for them.

LostDonkey

What a joke this series has become.

It was so promising after PC1 and then they did all the seasons and TOD with PC2 but it didn't feel or really look as good to play and now this....

From the footage I've seen it looks so bad. Like a Shift Sequel.

Barnabot

not my work but

hUOEXug.png

i feel the same

giphy.gif

What a dumb thing to do.

Nobody wants this. Nobody asked for this. This is a guaranteed failure.

I expect Slightly Mad's studio leads will be fired and the studio disbanded after this game flops just like Codemasters Evo after they made Onrush, another game nobody asked for.

LostDonkey

giphy.gif

What a dumb thing to do.

Nobody wants this. Nobody asked for this. This is a guaranteed failure.

I expect Slightly Mad's studio leads will be fired and the studio disbanded after this game flops just like Codemasters Evo after they made Onrush, another game nobody asked for.

Coincidentally both games had the same guy in charge.

Ban Puncher

So a game developer walks into a bar and says to the barman "We made this niche product that is supported by a small but fiercely passionate and deep-pocketed audience who are the type to spend thousands of dollars for the most realistic experience available but what if we tried to appeal more to the broader casual mass-market?"

And the barman replies "Well, you'd be entering an over-saturated genre with more recognisable established brands, who have been doing what you'd be attempting to do for longer and better, only to be ignored by the mainstream game playing public whilst also alienating your established loyal customer base in an ill-advised move of pure greed resulting in pleasing nobody, weak sales and possible business closure."

Stop me if you've heard this one.

sn0man

I kind of liked the demo for pc2. I liked that they had a setting for assists that matched the real life car. A little thing but helped with immersion to me. Why aren’t they just rolling up the pc2 with another 50–100 cars and focusing on just iterating the elements of the game their fan base wanted improved?

Birdo

Banned
I don't... Think you get it.

I don't care that it used to be a sim series. It sold like shit. GT, Forza and, Assetto Corsa ate it's lunch.

They decided to take the series in a direction that isn't saturated. It makes perfect sense to me. It's you guys that don't get it.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I don't care that it used to be a sim series. It sold like shit. GT, Forza and, Assetto Corsa ate it's lunch.

They decided to take the series in a direction that isn't saturated. It makes perfect sense to me. It's you guys that don't get it.

Nah because the people who bought the first 2 games typically aren't the ones crying and calling for more arcade racing games.

So your previous post is wholly inaccurate because the "gamers" you referenced are two entirely different audiences.

When it sells like shit and is quickly forgotten about because they decided to experiment and ruin an already well known franchise instead of creating a new one don't forget to blame the "gamers".

Birdo

Banned
Nah because the people who bought the first 2 games typically aren't the ones crying and calling for more arcade racing games.

I'm not joking, I've never seen anyone satisfied with Project Cars. All I ever see is people complaining.

It's Fans do nothing but bitch about every single aspect of the games. I was shocked that they even made a second one.

PC3 is basically the devs going "Fuck it. We'll never win them over. Let's try something else".

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

This is going to flop just like Grid. Or maybe even worse, because at least Grid wasn't known and popular thanks to being a simulation.

Reactions: GHG

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

See I'm with this. Sim games are great but truth be told, utterly fucking boring after a while.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
do you guys like follow ups?

Ny8CbcV.jpg

Nathan Bell pulled out a reverse uno card. can't find the original tweet though

"it's you who are wrong" /s

"Change is hard to embrace"

Oh fuck off Confucius 🙄

Miles708

As much as i understand people complaining, I agree with this.
Simulation games are (for the most part) clinical and soulless, and while I get the appeal, the very act of racing is an exercise in romanticism, not technicality.
If they chase that, I'll be all in.

Last edited:

Senua

Going the Forza route ay?

I'm not joking, I've never seen anyone satisfied with Project Cars. All I ever see is people complaining.

It's Fans do nothing but bitch about every single aspect of the games. I was shocked that they even made a second one.

PC3 is basically the devs going "Fuck it. We'll never win them over. Let's try something else".

"We aren't good enough to make a competent sim, lets water it down for the casuals!"

Last edited:

amigastar

Honestly, i don't care. At this point i'm just curious how the game will turn out to be. Project Cars 2 was never a hardcore sim to begin with anyways.

LokusAbriss

Who the fuck is saying this about project cars?

Did you forget why this franchise exists in the first place?
The initial project of Project Cars was promising. I backed them and each new build was becoming better and better. They were on a good route.

Project Cars 2 was already a disapointment. The cars felt mostly way off and the tracks were not that great either. They know they can't compete with Assetto Corsa, IRacing or rFactor 2. So, they go the sim-cade route and hope to sell more games.

The sim-market is hard. Even a very good sim might sell very little and the genre is generally not easy to gain some profits.
Slightly mad studios promoted realism and physics over everything. Now, they try to hunt the big bucks. It is sad to see as an original backer. But I don't really care anymore. The competition is more than enough and miles better.

Last edited:

Miles708

Ultimately, tire wear and fuel consumption are just 2 bars depleting over time, if you think about it. So pit stops can also be seen as a bar depleting, and needing recharge over time.

Can't say I really miss the gameplay implications, but it would have been nice to see the animations of the mechanics around your car.

xrnzaaas

Ultimately, tire wear and fuel consumption are just 2 bars depleting over time, if you think about it. So pit stops can also be seen as a bar depleting, and needing recharge over time.

Can't say I really miss the gameplay implications, but it would have been nice to see the animations of the mechanics around your car.
It's much more complicated than that, because there's tons of decisions to be made during the race - should I pit because of the changing weather conditions or risk staying out, are my laptimes still good on this set, how much fuel should I get for my car, which engine modes should I be using during the race to use the extra fuel, when should I pit to gain an advantage... and so on.

I'm not saying they won't be able to capture the "spirit" of the on-track battles, but in real life you don't have identical performance throghout the entire race. For me personally it's a massive step back compared to previous pCARS games.

Last edited:

Miles708

It's much more complicated than that, because there's tons of decisions to be made during the race - should I pit because of the changing weather conditions or risk staying out, are my laptimes still good on this set, how much fuel should I get for my car, which engine modes should I be using during the race to use the extra fuel, when should I pit to gain an advantage... and so on.

I'm not saying they won't be able to capture the "spirit" of the on-track battles, but in real life you don't have identical performance throghout the entire race. For me personally it's a massive step back compared to previous pCARS games.

This actually makes sense. I guess it would have been nice if they would find a way to integrate pit stops without going all-in with the race management. I'm not sure to many variables are good for the overall experience, but your example with the variable weather is neat and now i kind of want it too.

GHG

Gold Member

I get that, but that's the sim racing crowd for you. It's a notoriously hard to please and many bunch.

However it's also a bunch of people who will always buy a game, stick with it and give it a chance if it's attempting to be a simulator. The rest of the market isn't so loyal and/or forgiving.

Good luck to SMS I guess, they will need it.

Rikkori

These devs always lived off of delusions, just don't give them your money. World ain't lacking in race-sim games.

xrnzaaas

This actually makes sense. I guess it would have been nice if they would find a way to integrate pit stops without going all-in with the race management. I'm not sure to many variables are good for the overall experience, but your example with the variable weather is neat and now i kind of want it too.
Changing weather was actually one of my favorite things about the previous games. I'm not 100% sure, but I think some races in the career mode were pre-planned by the developers to feature sudden weather changes which forced the player to make tough decisions. I still remember how I once stayed out when hurricane conditions arrived and I couldn't even complete a single lap on the slicks to get to the pit stop on the next lap. Now that was fun. :)

The best way to handle this would be to offer people options. That way both parties would be happy - those wanting a realistic experience and those wanting to just have non stop close battles.

Senua

Forza Horizon is not an arcade racer, it is a sim with a lot of assists.
It's not even close to a sim. I think we need more terms tbh.

Outrun and Forza Horizon are very different for example, but Forza Horizon and Assetto Corsa Competizione are worlds apart too.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why are some of you people so needlessly hostile?

You've not played the thing, and you sure as shit haven't paid for it, so why the attitude?

LokusAbriss

Why are some of you people so needlessly hostile?

You've not played the thing, and you sure as shit haven't paid for it, so why the attitude?
It is just extremely disapointing. SMS has all the tools and tech to make an outstanding sim. But they castrate their tech and streamline features to please the casual gamers. They try to get the people who chose Forza Horizon anyway. And real sim enthusiasts won‘t even touch it anymore, after what they have shown.

A hud that screems hot wheels and insane motion blur are just wrong in my eyes. Maybe they sell a good amount of games, but normal people get bored driving on race tracks. FM8 and GT7 will be a better choice.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It's not even close to a sim. I think we need more terms tbh.

Outrun and Forza Horizon are very different for example, but Forza Horizon and Assetto Corsa Competizione are worlds apart too.
Its handling certainly is simplified sim handling and not arcade handling. Arcade handling is about immediacy, extreme levels of control and twitch reaction. See Burnout, F-Zero, or, yes, Outrun. It is mockery for arcade racing fans that simplified sim games are being advertised as arcade racers, where they offer nothing of the specific challenges of arcade racing, but are derived from traditional sim racing controls (of sims of the GT / Forza style) by adding all kinds of assists. The result is that yes, these ""arcade racers"" allow easy start into the game, similar to how arcade racers do, but they offer nothing of what makes arcade racers so intense and fun. If you start with a sim game and simplify it by adding assists of all kinds, you do not end up with an arcade racer, you end up with a semi automatic sim racer.

Similarly, if you start with an arcade racer and add all kinds of technicalities to it (like pit stops or wear) you do not end up with a sim racer, you end up with a bloated, boring arcade racer.

Top Bottom