• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Mascot

Right, Amazon preorder cancelled.

As danowat pointed out, CDKeys discounts brings the £45 digital preorder in line with the physical copy price, with the added benefit of the five LE cars/career events and getting the game more than a day early. I'm normally against digital purchases as I generally like to p/x old games for new, but I think pCARS is likely to be a keeper.

I'm guessing the game will preload sometime next week and be available to play midnight on Wednesday? It definitely says available to play on 7th May.

danowat

Banned

As danowat pointed out, CDKeys discounts brings the £45 digital preorder in line with the physical copy price, with the added benefit of the five LE cars/career events and getting the game more than a day early. I'm normally against digital purchases as I generally like to p/x old games for new, but I think pCARS is likely to be a keeper.

I'm guessing the game will preload sometime next week and be available to play midnight on Wednesday? It definitely says available to play on 7th May.

You know it makes sense Sir!

Hedrush

My pre order status/countdown timer runs out at midnight on Wednesday. I don't know if that is just for the preload though.

Mascot

My pre order status/countdown timer runs out at midnight on Wednesday. I don't know if that is just for the preload though.

When I preordered it said "available to play 7th May". The official EU release date is 7th May due to public holidays or something (UK is 8th May) so Sony probably cannot filter the UK out of the EU PSN store. Ergo, UK gets it digitally on the same day as the rest of Europe. That's my take on it, anyway.

danowat

Banned
When I preordered it said "available to play 7th May". The official EU release date is 7th May due to public holidays or something (UK is 8th May) so Sony probably cannot filter the UK out of the EU PSN store. Ergo, UK gets it digitally on the same day as the rest of Europe. That's my take on it, anyway.

Yes, that's my assumption, I would imagine the date being pushed back on the UK version is simply a one day push on the CPA due to impact of an extra days holiday has on the logistics of getting product to store.

Hedrush

Yeah you could be correct about that actually. I didn't notice when it said it would be available to play when I pre ordered but my countdown timer says 6 days 10 hours to go

Sorry but the render team are currently far too busy sipping champagne on a beach in the Bahamas to contemplate making any further improvements ...

Just kidding ;)

So ... Anisotropic Filtering.

Everyone loves a good AF debate, right?!

I think the key piece of knowledge that is missing in the various analysis about the track anisotropy is that they all consider the track to be a single textured piece of geometry.

This is not the case - the track is rendered in three passes:

1. The base track layer e.g. The Tarmac!
2. The road markings e.g. White lines
3. Dirt layer / tyre marks

And since they are separate passes it's possible for each layer to have different Anisotropy settings - 4x, 4x, 2x respectively, with white lines being up'd to 8x subsequently.
Thx for posting again.
That is a crazy amount of manual tuning just to get performance in place for AF. Obviously your team find the performance gains generated by this to be worth the time, effort, and IQ loss on individual pieces.

What exactly is making AF so expensive that you cannot just leave it at 8x (all texture surfaces) for the consoles?

ElNino

As a complete aside, I've just noticed, the digital version, is £5 cheaper on the PS4 than the XBO, bizarre.
Interesting, I wonder if there will be a difference in NA when the digital version goes up on the PS Store.

On the XB1, it is $5 cheaper here for the digital version than it is at retail ($65 vs $70).

Mascot

Street dates for physical copies make sense, but digital should have a world wide release date.

I agree, assuming there's no technical reason. I guess it's to stagger the load on the download servers, but preloading can do that anyway.

It's about time digital versions offered real incentives over physical releases. Early access could be one of them, cheaper pricing another. It's inexplicable how they often cost a lot more when packaging, middlemen and physical logistics are removed from the equation.

SMSRenderTeam

Neo Member
Myself I would be interested in learning more about car models themselves.
How Pc and consoles compare in that regard, what's the polycount, how different lods are used.
Whether or not the PC version has options to enable full LOD for every car on the track, whether or not the LOD depends on the # of cars in a race etc.

As a general rule our car models have four LODs that are the same on both console and PC:

LODA 60k triangles
LODB 25/26k
LODC 4k
LODD 0.8k

on PC there is an extra LOD that we call "LODX" - this is enabled for the player car only when using the Ultra Setting for Vehicle Detail. LODX models are 200-300,000 triangles!

LOD switching is mostly driven by distance of the car from the camera, and is not dependent on the # of cars in a race.

MaLDo

You don't trust what SMSRenderTeam is saying..?

I think what SMSRenderTeam says in fact is not invalidating my screenshots. Real screenshots, by the way. They talk about real numbers but omitting another real numbers too in a kind of smoke screen that leaves all parties happy. Take a look a how he explains car LODs differences in his last message.

And ey, I agree that the game is awesome in consoles, is awesome in PC (that's why I put my money day zero funding it and shared every problem I had in wmd forums) and they deserve a lot of success. But I don't like interpretable truths (neither being called myopic, indeed).

shandy706

ixmRlBCIjROs2.PNG

The list is..tiny...and only has 2-3 cars I really like...and is missing every single one of the cars on my "cars I love / own / will own" list. :(

Is it possible we'll get Corvette/Chevy and Ferrari eventually?

Azzawon

Karts said:
As one of the most accessible motorsports on the planet participated in recreationally by millions each year, karting has been the starting point for many professional racing drivers such as Michael Schumacher, Lewis Hamilton, Juan Pablo Montoya, Danica Patrick, and Jeff Gordon.

Ha! Definitely going for that US market :p

Great list overall when you look at it compiled like this. Also nice to see them recognising the community-made videos from YouTube!

I agree, assuming there's no technical reason. I guess it's to stagger the load on the download servers, but preloading can do that anyway.

It's about time digital versions offered real incentives over physical releases. Early access could be one of them, cheaper pricing another. It's inexplicable how they often cost a lot more when packaging, middlemen and physical logistics are removed from the equation.

Definitely early access should be a part of digital.

Mascot

Definitely early access should be a part of digital.

Checked my preorder email confirmation:

Project CARS - Pre Order Edition (Game Pack)
Please make sure to top up your wallet before the pre-order expected release date: 06/05/2015 @ 11:00 PM £44.99

The plot thickens...

I'm guessing that's when preloads start

Megasoum

Banned
A corvette would be nice for sure.

I personally I really like that they focused on tracks over cars and for the cars that they did put in game, they focused ot motor racing instead of having 40 different Civics.

Edit: Ferrari would also be nice indeed but it's a licensing nightmare.

A corvette would be nice for sure.

I personally I really like that they focused on tracks over cars and for the cars that they did put in game, they focused ot motor racing instead of having 40 different Civics.

Edit: Ferrari would also be nice indeed but it's a licensing nightmare.

This is what I was referring to

8731335675_8518fe3ce3.jpg

Helznicht

Has anybody heard when new car packs come out, will those new cars fold into the career mode to where you will start seeing them on the tracks? Mid-career?

The hidden hatchback is the A1 Quattro. It's one of the few cars that's conpletely done but not in the final build. It was also revealed along with the IMSA 90 GTO in the Audi licensing announcement, and that's also modelled but not revealed.

Gnh9a9r.jpg

Metfanant

ive asked in a few different places, but what on Earth is the US pre-order situation like?

- I know we dont have a physical Limited Edition, but does the digital pre-order on PSN include the limited edition car pack like in Europe?

id like to go physical, but if i can get the limited car pack by buying digital then i will...

Azzawon

The hidden hatchback is the A1 Quattro. It's one of the few cars that's conpletely done but not in the final build. It was also revealed along with the IMSA 90 GTO in the Audi licensing announcement, and that's also modelled but not revealed.
Well, there we have it. Shows how much attention I've been paying to the builds recently haha!
I'd say 650S or 570S. SMS will be wanting to maximise the McLaren licence, and McLaren will definitely welcome the exposure.
Quite possibly yeah, the reason it makes me think P1 GTR is the position of the '?' if it does happen to be in alphabetical order, as you would expect it to be above the other McLarens if it began with a number :p

Mascot

I'm guessing all of the hidden 'coming soon' cars will soon be exposed by backers who have seen them during development. Any more you can share?

Top Bottom