• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Megasoum

Banned
Im getting kind of crappy performance in the game.

I have an i5 750/ AMD 6970 / 8GB RAM

and at everything absolutely maxed (with AA off ) I get like 30-40 fps.

*@ 1920x1080

I see other people with lesser computers and WITH AA on getting 60 fps.. what gives?

Yeah I get similar results (especially in DX11)...if I drop to DX9 then I get the 60fps but still not maxed... I'd have to try to max it out in DX9 to see how it runs... Sucks anyway that I can't really play in DX11... I noticed a thread on the forums asking why AMD performance were terrible compared to Nvidia but I didn't actually went through the thread so I don't know if there's any kind of solution.

IMACOMPUTA

Hm, yeah I've only tried dx11 mode.

So, can someone explain to me what the "fees returned to team members" deal is? I'm going to get my money back? huh?

Blizzard

Banned
Hm, yeah I've only tried dx11 mode.

So, can someone explain to me what the "fees returned to team members" deal is? I'm going to get my money back? huh?
The higher the membership level, and the more copies the game sells overall, in theory the more money or equivalent rewards you get back. The details have not yet been settled.

My understanding is that ideally, if the game sells well enough, you would get your money back, maybe more.

mclaren777

Best price/performance ratio.

I don't see how saving 10% of the cost makes up for the 20% performance deficit.*

I know that both brands usually review comparably, but I frequently see people complaining on forums about poor relative performance in actual real-world use.

*numbers pulled from my butt.

Im getting kind of crappy performance in the game.

I have an i5 750/ AMD 6970 / 8GB RAM

and at everything absolutely maxed (with AA off ) I get like 30-40 fps.

*@ 1920x1080

I see other people with lesser computers and WITH AA on getting 60 fps.. what gives?

I have a pretty similar rig to you (955BE @ 3.8ghz, 6950 2gb, 8GB RAM) and, for the most part, I get around 60 with nearly everything on max and 2xAA, and that's with my resolution of 2048x1152. Certain things can kill that (sunrise or sunset, for example, or of course FRAPS) but for the most part I'm around the 60 mark.

Sounds like something weird is up with your experience. Have you got the latest drivers?

Also, just a reminder there's 12 hours left on the time trial challenge this week, but I've already PM'd markao about his choice because I doubt he's going to get topped!

IMACOMPUTA

I don't see how saving 10% of the cost makes up for the 20% performance deficit.*

I know that both brands usually review comparably, but I frequently see people complaining on forums about poor relative performance in actual real-world use.

*numbers pulled from my butt.

Honestly this is probably my last AMD card.

markao

Foliorum Viridum asked me to pick the next track/car combo and after a race car and a classic I think it is time for some trackday experience. So let's try out Derby GP, try to stay with some part of your wheels on the tarmac in the chicane ;) , in the Ariel Atom Mugen.

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #2 - Leonus F68 Cromwell V8 @ Milan Historic (Monza) (Build 179)

sc2_ava4i7zjj.png

1. markao - 1:30.229 (video)
2. Salacious Crumb - 1:30.881
3. Big Takeover - 1:31.385 (Video)

Orgun - 1:31.863
Dilly - 1:31.877
Polyphony - 1:31.974
ArcticFox - 1:32.349
Foliorum Viridum - 1:32.622 (video)
_machine - 1:32.921
fresquito - 1:33.030
Whatevaman - 1:33.566
jet1911 - 1:34.670
kafiend - 1:34.731
Shaneus - 1:36.567
IMACOMPUTER - 1:36.851
Blizzard - 1:41.437

Congrats markao!

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #3 - Ariel Atom Mugen @ Derby GT (Build 184)

Any assists are allowed and tweaking your car is allowed. Please provide video, screenshot or leaderboard evidence with your exact time to get added to the leaderboard!

Previous weeks:
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)

Got the newest build installed so I'm going to have a crack at the new challenge tonight I think since I'm being a loser and not going out.

This build seems rather tame compared to the last two. Been spoiled in the last two weeks!

markao

@smiggyRT Same error with the new build (184) ? :oops: I just read post above, can you manually extract the files (right click on exe and choose extract here), what version of WinRar (maybe newer version works).

And I first had a go with the new car: BAC Mono - Derby GP (Donington Park)

mclaren777

A bigger share of the profit. And access to exclusive tracks/cars (none are known yet...)

Assuming there will be a profit.

For as great as pCARS is, we have to keep it in perspective. It's a reasonably realistic racing sim that's hoping to break into the console market. RACE Pro tried the same thing back in 2009 and the endeavor was a failure despite having a strong developer legacy (SimBin), great graphics, and a bunch of cars that people really desired (Audi R8, Koenigsegg CCX, Dodge Viper, etc).

pCARS has roughly 14000 people in the beta and I'm guessing that most of them are going to buy the PC version (or get it for free due to their membership level). It costs a lot of money to port a game to consoles (development + licensing + manufacturing + marketing) so it would need to sell a ton of copies to generate a profit. Plus, who knows if the rumored publishing deal would even allow SMS to release this game on the PS3 and WiiU (the two most expensive consoles to make ports for)?

I hate to sound so negative, but I'll be surprised if people get more than in-game credits or DLC.

ibxN5mMozhrVkn.jpg

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #3 - Ariel Atom Mugen @ Derby GT (Build 184)

Any assists are allowed and tweaking your car is allowed. Please provide video, screenshot or leaderboard evidence with your exact time to get added to the leaderboard!

Sounds great. I'm looking forward to spending some time with the Atom. I've barely touched it thus far.

Megasoum

Banned
Assuming there will be a profit.
Oh I know lol, that's why I'm just a full member too. I see it as a pre-order that gives me VERY early access lol.

If I end up making a couple of bucks then that's a nice bonus but I don't expect anything.

I understand the comparison with RacePro but RP was a complete mess. It was super buggy and a lot less beautiful that those PR shots. And there was zero marketing or even discussion about it outiside of the hardcore racing community. It took me 2 weeks to find a copy because no stores was carrying it.

Anyway, we'll see. I love the game so far so I'm happy to play through the different builds and I would have bought the game in the end anyway so it's all good. Anything else is just a bonus.

mclaren777

I love the game so far so I'm happy to play through the different builds and I would have bought the game in the end anyway so it's all good. Anything else is just a bonus.

I think that's a great approach, especially given how adamant SMS was that pCARS isn't an investment opportunity.

fresquito

While it's obviously a risk, I think pCARS will be a successfull story for different reasons. The deal will not exclude any console, that I'm sure. On the WiiU it will have no challenge, probably in the whole lifespan of the console. Porting it's not that expensive either. Based on calculations, with a million copies across all platforms, we will be gaining money. Besides, the game is looking extremely cool, way beyond anything Race Pro ever showed.

aeroslash

I really want this game and take part on the neogaf league badly, but first i will have to find a solution for my g27+PC...:(

I hope to see you soon online!

Blizzard

Banned
SmiggyRT, that really is very strange. Do you have access to any other computers that you can download the install file to, and then like, copy it over on a USB stick or external hard drive or something?

Or if it's not the install, then do you have anything that might not be standard running in the background, like virus scanners etc.? You might try unplugging the network cable and then installing with antivirus turned off in case something weird is interfering with the extraction/install process.

Yay for a new challenge! I'll try to download the build tonight.

I'm expecting to make a return, or at least break even. It's not my motivation at all, but I expect it to do well.

Could be worse, I could have bought GAME shares, amirite?

smiggyRT

@smiggyRT Same error with the new build (184) ? :oops: I just read post above, can you manually extract the files (right click on exe and choose extract here), what version of WinRar (maybe newer version works).

Holy shit that worked. :eek:

Never even crossed my mind to try that, thanks a lot!

Megasoum

Banned
I really want this game and take part on the neogaf league badly, but first i will have to find a solution for my g27+PC...:(

I hope to see you soon online!

Just a reminder, registration will close soonish (2-3 weeks) so if you miss on those you will have to wait next year to buy the game. If you are intesterested in playing it early you should buy your membership ASAP even if you can't play it right away.

Blizzard

Banned
Hey mclaren777, I really don't mean to be rude, and I know you have posted a lot about the project, but do you mind toning down your concerns about getting a return on the money into the project?

I realize you are concerned, and you have asked me, the other NeoGAF manager member, and possibly others, whether we are worried, whether we expect money back, and so forth.

With ANY investment with risk, my philosophy is that it should be money you can afford to lose. This is especially true in the stock market. My feeling with CARS is that I could afford the money, it was a project I wanted to support, and if all goes well I may get some money back. If all goes very well, I may get a profit. I like what is being done with the game and I have gotten (often prompt) responses when I have PM'd the dev/management team, so I don't really have concerns.

So just relax, since you have no personal stake in it aside from a presumably finished retail game next year, unless you truly believe a lot of NeoGAF people are falling into a horrible scam, and I just don't think so. I'll be happy to admit it if I'm wrong in the end.

Check the thread about the change in management etc at SMS. There's several people who name mclaren777 by name as a huge troll of the project, it's pretty hilarious. Surprisingly, I wasn't one of them, either. It's pretty sad he tries to be part of this thread when SMS kicked him out and the entire community hates him. I'd suggest you do what I did: put him on ignore!

I can't log in to the new build at the moment. Is anyone having problems/servers down or something? It's kinda annoying the game just quits after one failed attempt!

Edit: Nevermind, I'm in. Time to take a crack at this challenge!

sneaky77

I think what Mclaren is saying is that looking at this as an actual investment and expecting a return and that being the main reason for ponying up the money is the wrong way to go about being involved. which i can agree with.

Blizzard

Banned
I think what Mclaren is saying is that looking at this as an actual investment and expecting a return and that being the main reason for ponying up the money is the wrong way to go about being involved. which i can agree with.
This is fair enough, but I don't -think- most people here are doing it for that reason. I did the manager thing partly as a community challenge, partly to support the game, partly because it would be cool to get the custom livery/billboard/whatever, and partly for the money.

Blizzard

Banned
Holy shit, this Atom.

Going to take some practice!
I made the mistake of trying the Formula B on Azure Coast last night. I was like, I remember enjoying this car, this will be relaxing.

After like 10 minutes of sliding and spinning out, I could barely even drive straight. I can only assume I scrubbed all the surface off the tires, lol.

Yoritomo

is -dx11MT getting any performance benefit yet? Or fixes to the Fanatec wheel issues (It seems best to play this game with the 911 PWTS in G25 emulation mode (PS3 mode) with G25 drivers)?

mclaren777

... unless you truly believe a lot of NeoGAF people are falling into a horrible scam...

It's definitely not a scam, but I want to make sure that you guys understand the culture of racing sims. For many of the 86 Gaffers who have joined pCARS, this is their first exposure to this niche market. And while pCARS looks and plays great, there are plenty of reasons to be concerned about the financial success of this game.

I will happily tone down the cautionary posts, but I'm concerned for everybody who has paid $135+ to be part of this beta.

Based on calculations, with a million copies across all platforms, we will be gaining money.

How do you envision those million copies are split? I'm actually curious.

Something like: 100k for PC, 400k for both PS3 and 360, 100k for WiiU?

What publisher wants to invest in three console ports (with potentially no shared hardware architecture between them) for 900k in additional sales?

The only way I see it happening is if the console versions are "Shift-ified" to appeal to a wider audience. Then perhaps you might get the dudebros on board for some quick races between COD binges, but otherwise, I doubt this game will sell many copies if the console versions are as sim-ey as the PC version.

ilY9NTTO90uu.png

Top Bottom