• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

saladine1

A few questions if I may

Is the game definitely coming to consoles?
Has the audio engine improved?
How will the career progression pan out?
Will the presentation,UI..etc be more like SHIFT or traditional PC sims?
..and finally, release date target?

markao

A few questions if I may

Is the game definitely coming to consoles?
Has the audio engine improved?
How will the career progression pan out?
Will the presentation,UI..etc be more like SHIFT or traditional PC sims?
..and finally, release date target?

- Yes, multiplatform
- Audio should/will be, as is in worked on
- SP career, (racing) Calender based (think Tiger Woods PGA), multiple events open, but you need to be eligible to enter. There will also be a racing school and they want it to be open (COOP, multi people jumping in out, if you want to). But career-mode still in concept stage, so more details later ;)
- Not sure what you mean by UI, as most PC sims don't have any :p But should be designed for controller (wheel) & mouse control.
- Q1/2 2013, if all works out, as they still need to finalize their full budget.

@Big Takeover, is the braking in the Formula Rookie fixed? (should be as I read Casey's comments on the forum) Brakes (rear) were not heating equaly and as result your back started stepping out around finishing your first lap.

fresquito

I'm having a lot of fun with the latest Event. Formula Rookie @ Bathurst. I'm glad. I've got almost the best time with default setup. This is the first time I think I'm understanding the track. I'm also learning a lot about braking.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I'm having a lot of fun with the latest Event. Formula Rookie @ Bathurst. I'm glad. I've got almost the best time with default setup. This is the first time I think I'm understanding the track. I'm also learning a lot about braking.

I think I may come and try that in a bit, once I remember how to drive.

Just starting out again and my word do I suck, taking the Formula Rookie round Spa and I end up facing the walls more often than not. The game has came a long way though, it's great to see how the game is being actively developed.

kafiend

This weeks Team Member+ patch is out. Bulid 244 765mb. Link: http://server1.wmdportal.com/wmd/pcars/pCARS_0244_0226_patch_20_pre-alpha_PC-EXT.exe

Patch notes from last weeks patch to this.

Build 244 (29/6/12, Team Member+)
New player profile is required
Either delete manually or allow the patch to do it when offered

Fixed more typos for live variable MinOffPathWetness name
Fix SubTick to use dt instead of mDT
Added Ctrl-D and Ctrl-U debug rendering pages for new dynamics
Online source structure cleanup, the last big chunk:
- Moved all Dedicated Server and Session/Game Management classes from Authentication to OneSock
- Changed interfaces of all moved managers so they are no longer PC-only
- Console implementations are empty so far
- DS and Session Managers no longer send messages to the Application queue, they report state changes and updates by registered callbacks instead
- The Online layer (currently still in the Authentication library) implements the callbacks. For now the callbacks just send events to App (98% compatible with previous version)
Fix for FE condition not getting set up.
Race audio is muted when replays are going backward, to avoid the audio artifacts that were appearing
Add loading screen applinks for track image, logo and map
Lock out both tracks and vehicles not supported based on server versions
Updated testing code to match Online refactor changes
Integrated some CLs for Car Preview
Tidying up some test code for car preview
Additional submission for car preview (non-functional in game yet)
DX11 specific fix, enabling CPU to modify a texture - the black transition texture was being created internally and written to by the menu code, but didn't have the correct settings to allow this. In DX9 it ignored it, but in DX11 it asserted
Belgian Forest: New bake
Belgian Forrest:Fixed nmp to display correctly
Removed textures no longer used in wtc. console specific also
Engine braking adjustment for Asano X4, Asano LM11, Caterham R500, Formula A, Formula B, Palmer JPLM, Lotus 78, Lotus 98T, Racer L4, Racer V8
Vehicles: Now using LODD at 50m+ distance
User interface - Updates and fixes to the Login, MainMenu, Quick Solo, Track Select, Loading, Pause, Instant Replay, Event Complete screens and new web shortcuts to our social feeds, and the WMD Portal
Pagani Huayra textures. Diffuse texture update for chrome and glossy metals
Added new temp conc wall barriers textures for Azure Circuit, first revision
Static file-Removed some temp barriers around the anthony noghes curve, Azure circuit
Lotus 49 textures. Darker diffuse for better chrome and very glossy metals
Formula Rookie: added new livery
New Northampton pit area textures
Azure Circuit. small changes for the new loft tweaks
Add loading screen applinks for track image, logo and map
Belgium Forest - updated trees and crowds for new terrain
Hide loading screen track map, logo and image to make pop-up less noticeable
Physics settings for ambient and track temps added, as well as wind speed
Modified lightmap shader to ensure it cannot possibly result in a divide by zero. This reduces the maximum light strength possible to 100, which seems plenty strong enough to me
Removed some pakfile entries which are in the bootsplash phase and permanently loaded, so not needed elsewhere. This is the cause of the pakfile assert which occurred in debug builds
Placeholder sky texture added
Fixed update tool launch for profile removal using temp files
New Atom Mugen export
New Azure Circuit export
New Belgian Forest export
New Northampton export

Build 243 (28/6/12, Senior Manager)
New FE condition
First pass for physics settings
Added surface wetness affecting physics
Exported latest global text db include file
Fixed up some more lazy BArray inits
Belgian Forest Circuit - add new textures for Pouhon windows
Lotus 49: fixed exploding damage bug, driver head added to collision shapes, fixed floating nut on right front suspension
Stockcar90: engine braking adjustment. new collision shapes
New added texturemaps car selection scene
Added ability to tweak exhaust sound levels via the config file and disabled the FMOD Compressor, to balance the exhaust sounds better and
allow for further fine-tuning
New physics keys added to wtc. and placeholder for FE lighting conditions. Also cloud tweaks that won't be visible in game yet
Fixed MinOffPathWetness name typo
New Lotus 49 export

Build 242 (27/6/12, Senior Manager)
PC Input: Moved acquire wait to _CheckCanDisableCentreSpring() to prevent disconnect slowdown in Update()
PC Input: Ignore keys with special functionality (e.g. calculator, media keys etc.) during control remapping
Online source structure cleanup, WIP:
- Moved CSAPI to OneSock, renamed it to HttpApi
- Added support for optional OneSock components, selected when initializing the library
- HttpApi is now an optional OneSock component
- Moved on-thread updates of HttpApi from dedicated NetThread maintained by the Authentication library to the OneSock thread
- Made HttpApi standard OneSock Task
- Updated HttpApi documentation, it should be mostly correct
- Killed Authentication's NetThread, use OneSock Tasks for all network threading from now on
- Moved Online library configuration defines from Authentication.hpp to OnlineConfig.hpp
Configure Controls UI: Reworked input capture so GUI buttons do not need to be activated on key up
PC Input: Modified algorithm for detecting whether a particular attached device is in use by the player and whether to allow menu navigation by that device
Minor Replay Mode functionality fixes/enhancements.
Microsecond timing is now the default. The previous method of millisecond timing can be turned on by using -usemilli as a command line argument
Updated server addresses passed to login
PC Input: Added 'GearSelectButtonHold' flag to all wheel presets, instead of just for those wheels that have shifter units.
Belgian Forest Circuit - add new textures for WoodenBridge
Lotus 49: fix for vibration when under AI control
Caper Monterey: suspension animations
Bodywork carbon shader. Tweaked specular power setting.
Pagani Huayra: added ambient shadow
Added Pagani Huayra to game
New Stockcar 90 export

Build 241 (26/6/12, Manager+)
Fixed bug in Xbox 360 force queue causing missing effect updates
Fog Direction is now decoupled from the sun direction
PS3 SaveGame: Trophy unlocking is no longer disabled when loading save data that is not owner sensitive
PS3 Save Game Manager: Insufficient space error handling changes to prevent soft locks in critically low HDD space conditions
PS3 Input: Fixed Thrustmaster wheel disconnection/reconnection issues
Avoid confusing Ctrl-Esc (system shortcut) with a normal Escape key activation
Fixed keyboard minimise/maximise issues (infinite KeyDown)
Set cockpit control states defaults
Added Input cleanup to PS3 termination sequence
Prevent entry to Replay Theatre if file playback is not possible
WTC fog tweaks

Build 240 (25/6/12, Senior Manager)
Adding rain weather description to the weather system
Added in to the applinks
SaveGame: Xbox 360 Media
Input: PS3 device connection blips
SaveGame: PC read-only file handling
SaveGame: PS3 save size calculation
Input: Xbox 360 wheel sensitivity.
Input: modification to force allowed logic
Input: modified force allowed logic
Texture maps - first commit
Modified basic shaders (both Max and runtime) to properly support all combinations of light control and self illumination tick boxes
Formula Rookie: adjusted livery to UV updates
Formula Rookie - Wheel texture - initial check in
New Caterham R500 export
New Formula A export
New Formula B export
New Pagani Zonda R export

Darkdeus

Please someone tell me the pictures 3 posts above mine are not screenshots from the game, please.

All in game and unedited : ) No replay post processing or anything like that either. Here's all of my shots in 1080p if you want to check them out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15539352@N02/sets/72157627926694442/?page=6
The differences you see in contrast and reflections are due to different hdr modes. Currently there's three different hdr modes and you can turn it off as well.

fresquito

Some pics from the pCARS forum:

pcars167.jpg

pcars168.jpg

pcars2012062917005592.png

pcars170.jpg

pcars174.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
I think the Pagani looks pretty awesome, especially in red, and I'm probably not even someone who likes looking at cars much.

Darkdeus, you should post a couple of the Azure Coast pictures I saw you had on the CARS forum.

Polyphony

Nevermind, I'm a fool! Deleted my profile in the Documents folder and it all worked... I think it was mentioned in the patch notes too.

Sethos

Banned
Latest build is so screwed, freezes, crashes and whatnot. When you delete your config it works a few times then constant crashes on some track / car combinations.

Polyphony

Yeah, here's what I did:
- Delete profile
- Launch game
- Change/calibrate wheel settings
- Close game
- Change default.sav to Read-only (to prevent the game from further modifying your save file and eventually corrupt it)
- Play!

Polyphony

Here's one of mine, I can't wait for them to implement an actual interface and additional options to make it more user friendly. It took me ages to get the shot right while trying to remember all the hotkeys I had to use. Plus the DOF effect is pretty cheap stuff right now, it's a simple 1 pass gaussian blur with defined range and no gradient or shape bokeh.

c7432c3881ec9659ce932ce90f043d854c03dc92.jpg

Arucardo

Darkdeus and fresquito got noticed by PC Gamer, good job guys and awesome shots :) .

Been quite a while now since I've fired this up but the same goes for all racing games atm. Kind of waiting on some bigger changes for the game, though trying out the new Pagani is pretty tempting. Just bought Game Stock Car earlier, will have to make some time for that.

Blizzard

Banned
Someone's still getting the love

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?518-Screenshots&p=188822&viewfull=1#post188822

"He's NeoGaf", sounds like an insult :p
To provide context, someone just before that post had said that there was someone on *some acronym forum* who'd love Andy saying something negative about himself and the CARS team in a humorous fashion (in an earlier post). Then Andy realized the person in question probably wasn't Mclaren since the forum wasn't NeoGAF.

Complicated explanation, so just follow the link and it'll make more sense. :p

ACH1LL3US

Ugly car, but that's not SMS' fault. Horacio should get his eyes checked.

Seriously?

Its an amazing looking car!

I do hope that the 760rs Zonda makes it into this game.

I wonder how the console version of this game will be, who is publishing it? Digital download only?

Top Bottom