• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Staab

LReqAtd.gif

Developer / Publisher: Slightly Mad Studios
Distributor: Bandai Namco Games
Price: 49.99 $ (or regional equivalent) for the standard edition. Prices may vary depending on platform / region.
Platforms: PC, Playstation 4, Xbox One (Wii U & Steam OS / Linux planned aswell)

Release Dates:
  • Digital: May 7th 2015 (Midnight worldwide release on Steam)
  • Retail: May 7th 2015 (Europe & Australasia), May 8th 2015 (UK), May 12th 2015 (Americas)
System requirements:
  • Minimum spec
    CPU – 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400, 3.0 GHz AMD Phenom II X4 940
    GPU – nVidia GTX 260, ATI Radeon HD 5770
    MEM – 4GB RAM, 1GB VRAM
    HDD – 18GB
  • Recommended spec
    CPU – 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 3700, 4.0 GHz AMD FX-8350
    GPU – nVidia GT600 series, AMD Radeon HD7000 series
    MEM – 8GB RAM, 2GB VRAM
    HDD – 18GB

Isu2HC2.png

Project CARS (Community Assisted Racing Simulator) is a racing simulation developed by the British game developer Slightly Mad Studios (NFS: Shift / GTR).
It has involved the community itself for game development, extensive testing and, especially, funding, through a new process known as World of Mass Development (WMD).

Over 80.000 people participated in the creation of the game through the purchase of Tool Packs, allowing different types of involvement stages in the development.
It sets itself apart from classic Crowdfunding due to its members receiving a share of the game's sales generated within the first years after launch as a return on investment.

Project CARS provides a number of different ways for you to play: Career, Solo, Online, and Community.
These make up the four pillars that are represented in the logo and are a testament to SMS' wish for players to have complete freedom and variety when playing:

The Career mode is entirely open and allows players to select any kind of race series / location they would like without having to unlock them.
You can then compete in a whole season in karting, Formula A (the game's equivalent of F1), Le Mans and many more.

Solo play allows the players to create their own unique track / vehicle combination with custom race options, weather and with up to 45 opponents.

Online play accommodates up to 32 players on 64-bit windows, restricted to 16 players on consoles and 32-bit windows, with a wide variety of hosting & lobby options.

A less known aspect is the Community pillar, also called the Driver Network, which lets you race against ghosts and compete on track-specific leaderboards.
More options will be added later, such as community events with rewards and special races as well as a e-sports type annual championship, the "SMS-R Championship".

During your races, your engineer will provide you with helpful hints and comments about the race, and interacting with him allows you to plan ahead for pit-stops.

In-depth information about the physics and common questions about the driving model are available straight from the Project CARS wiki.

The game features over 60 cars ranging from small Karts to Supercars, Road cars to Open-wheel racers, Retro and Prototype cars, with more to come through DLC.
All cars come with complete customization options (set-up) and changeable liveries.
They are also subject to a realistic damage model, impacting performance, a full on tyre simulation and an option for "real assists" to mimic their real life counterpart.

Some of the vehicles: (complete list via header link)

Alpine A450, Ariel Atom Mugen, Aston Martin Rapide S Hydrogen Hybrid, Audi R18 TDI LMP1, BAC Mono, BMW M3 GT (E92), BMW Z4 GT3.
Caterham Superlight R500, Ford Mustang Boss 302R1, Formula Gulf 1000, Gumpert Apollo S, Lotus 78 Cosworth, McLaren P1, Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG.
Pagani Zonda R, Renault Clio Cup, Renault Mégane R.S. 265, Ruf CTR3, RWD P30 LMP1, SMS Formula A, SMS Kart 125cc (Kart01), W Motors Lykan HyperSp.

Project CARS has a large roster of race locations with over 30 unique locations and over 110 different courses (including licensed circuits, look-alikes and original ones).

The locations: (click the header for a complete track list)
Y8jahCl.jpg

With different courses, time of day settings, dynamic weather and the different car series, it provides one of the most varied track roster to date.

The game supports a wide variety of controller options, from keyboard to gamepads and of course racing wheels: (complete list at header link)
Most Thrustmaster and Fanatec wheels are supported on all platforms with Logitech wheels only being officially supported on PC for now.
3800856.png
Qw7qDzn.png
UKorEM1.png

Mt04uDN.png

Reviews:
See the Review thread

Metacritic scores:
PC, PS4, XB1

Digital Manual

Will my computer run it ?
Most computers run the game pretty well if you're willing to play with the settings some, reflections and rain are particularly heavy hitters.

Technical analysis
Digital Foundry launch performance analysis (consoles)
Digital Foundry Face-Off

Visual guide (performance tweaking - settings explained) [PC]

What editions are available ?
Digital edition
Limited edition
Standard edition

Launch Trailer

NeoGaf's DigiProst special videos

Credit to several pCARS members for the screenshots (erick, sbon, r8tedm3 and many more...).

cyen

Great OT! (im one of the 80k btw).

I know that racing fans will love the game because it´s a really great game, to be almost perfect it just needs a few more cars (probably via DLC)

bombshell

Wheels:

The game supports a wide variety of controller options, from keyboard to gamepads and of course racing wheels: (complete list at header link)
Most Thrustmaster and Fanatec wheels are supported on all platforms with Logitech wheels only being officially supported on PC for now.

I'll just re-post this here:

So the lovely guys at Gamersyde just had a PS4 livestream with Andy Tudor:

http://www.twitch.tv/gamersyde/v/4756621

Among many questions they asked whether Logitech wheel support for the PS4 version is possible in the future. (at 49:30)

The answer from Andy: "Our list of supported wheels are not final, please hang in there [laughs]... We have the answer, but we just can't tell it right now".

That's positive, right? :)

It finally happened.

We finally got an OT.

Nice work!

My copy will be arriving tomorrow and I have the day off (it's also election day) so going to sink some hours into this.

Spookie

Project CARS missing it's release date? Well I never!
Off to bed, I'll try it tomorrow then.

/chinnermode

DieH@rd

Banned
I have played over 300 hours of this game, and I can't wait to play more. Soon the gates will become open for general consumers, devs will upgrade the game even more, good times are ahead. :)

Item Box

Unpacking now. Was hoping my racing wheel would get here in time for this. Gonna have to settle with my fisher-price 360 wireless wheel in the meantime

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah seems like a strangely fast unpack...3mins, I am on SSD but still that's a crazy difference compared to normal. Though it is only 15GB.

Ah it's jumping around the 10 minute mark, but has done 1/3 of it in the progress bar very quickly. Should be quick.

Gynoug79

Playing it since yesterday on the ps4 with a thrustmaster t500rs and really really like it. But there a few tiny issues which i would love to see adressed:

- This is one of the rare games where i would like to have a proper manual. There is one here http://www.projectcarsgame.com/digital-manual.html but its not explaining what the diffrent controller / wheel settings do. Never seen so many FFB setting in any
console game so i am a bit overwhelmed. What is the controller input mode ? And what is the diffrence between advanced mode and normal ? I guess its only for the pad ? And so on...

- Which brings me to my next problem. There are not enough buttons on my wheel to map all the available functions. Gran Turismo had the option to map functions to the controller and use them while using the wheel. Would love to see this added to pcars as well.

- There are two litte bugs with the T500rs which they seem to be aware of already https://www.facebook.com/ThrustmasterOfficial/posts/678728555590164:0

- Would like to see some kind of indicator when i switch the abs (for example) on and off while racing.

Qassim

Oh my, just had my first quick race in it. It is exactly the type of game I was looking for, I love the way it handles and the sound is great.

Wow, great OT in such little time to do it. You guys are wizards.

Can't wait, just came back from the gym and it's ready to launch!!! Most anticipated game for me in five years.

Add me for some racing:

seattle6418 on Steam
FASJ6418 on PSN (whenever i can buy the US version).

Top Bottom