• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Pifje

Sometimes I just wonder where they spent all the time and money when developing this game.

The AI is very simplistic, and contains no awareness of other drivers. The AI cars just drive forward in a line like a train going through anything and anyone.

The cars look good, but the environments still look like from Gran Turismo 3.

There is nothing to achieve in the "career mode". Some actual content would have been nice.

Some ridiculous bugs here and there. Mostly here.

Moozo

Struggling massively with fast corners and esses. The car just seems to get in to a four-wheel slide when trying to change direction. Meanwhile the AI steam through glued to the track.

(I'm on pad. Are my setting causing this?)

danowat

Banned
Struggling massively with fast corners and esses. The car just seems to get in to a four-wheel slide when trying to change direction. Meanwhile the AI steam through glued to the track.

Yes, your settings have a lot to do with it, with good settings and a bit of finesse you can sling anything around the track, this is a video of me, on pad, no assists, one thing you've got to try and do is, not start to slide in the first place!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0x3IOH8L6k

I'm scared this game is going to break my very expensive wheel. Does this happen to anybody else? After a race when the game is loading back into the menu screen, my wheel will, out of nowhere, jerk and spin left or right at crazy fast speeds. It sometimes starts to vibrate and shake violently. When it does that I have to unplug the power to the wheel to get it to stop. Other times it will spin the wheel upside down and lock it in that position so I'm having to navigate the menu screens while using the D-pad and buttons on the wheel while upside down. This game should not have been released yet.

In times where it's so easy to record and post a video of a lap that shows corners you have problems with or car behavior you don't know how to get rid of, or just a "I don't know how gain another second on that track", maybe we should have an extra thread like a driving academy. I think I would really enjoy helping people get better at tuning and understanding certain car physics/behaviors better, while I still have lots of questions myself.

But many really good sim-racing players also have kind of a toxic elitist attitude and my fear is that a thread like that would lead to a lot of bragging, bickering and people taking apart the smallest mistakes in even the most helpful analysis. Maybe though... GAF is better than that.

brentech

For all the videos I have made, I haven't done all that much with replay mode.
Does it have a view where you can see the throttle and brake pressure like GT5 did?
I assume that would be most helpful in the above scenario.

Moozo

Maye sure stability control is on.

It's on

Yes, your settings have a lot to do with it, with good settings and a bit of finesse you can sling anything around the track, this is a video of me, on pad, no assists, one thing you've got to try and do is, not start to slide in the first place!!!

I like to consider myself a fairly good and smooth driver (I'm racing AI on 90 and holding my own (and I'm absolutely fine with 90% of corners but maybe I've just got the wrong style on some). It's not really a problem for me speed-wise, but I know I'll just be wrecking and probably overheating the tyres and it looks absolutely ridiculous on replays, me just drifting absolutely everywhere.

In times where it's so easy to record and post a video of a lap that shows corners you have problems with or car behavior you don't know how to get rid of, or just a "I don't know how gain another second on that track", maybe we should have an extra thread like a driving academy. I think I would really enjoy helping people get better at tuning and understanding certain car physics/behaviors better, while I still have lots of questions myself.

Good idea. I might record a video to explain when I get time.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Tried it on the RoG Swift in G-Sync and the framerate is much better (due to low res 1440P of course).

First 1440P @ 60FPS here: Project CARS 1440P @ 60FPS

First time I've seen the driveline in this game, ugh. I used to use it all the time in Forza but for some reason I had refused any aids in Pcars and now seeing it in action it just looks wierd.

Sometimes I just wonder where they spent all the time and money when developing this game.

Considering they only asked for around 3.75 million for the Kickstarter I think they've achievd a lot. Do you have any idea how much it costs to license tracks and cars and the equipement required to map those tracks? Even when you look at the credits, outside of PR and Localisation there are hardly any people compared to GT and Forza. It's also a new IP. Forza wasn't that great when it first launched in 2005 either, now look at the quality of it.

The AI is very simplistic, and contains no awareness of other drivers. The AI cars just drive forward in a line like a train going through anything and anyone.

I'm not seeing this on the PS4 version. Granted they might make a few rash decisions but at least it keeps you on your toes unlike GT when it's just follow the leader and stick to the driveline.

The cars look good, but the environments still look like from Gran Turismo 3.

Hyperbole. The game is designed around being able to have 36 cars on the track. It also take a lot of resources to have AI for all of those, track tempertature, realtime whether and night/day cycle (again, temperature too). I think a lot of people just think that it doesn't take any power to run stuff that aren't polygons.

There is nothing to achieve in the "career mode". Some actual content would have been nice.

There is somethig to achieve, winning the final championship and the progress to get there. If you don't win Championships you're not going to get offered contracts. There is also 70 tracks, 27 if you don't count variants or ones split into 3 parters like Azura Coast and California. Just because the stuff isn't all locked from the start like other Pokemon racers doesn't mean there is no content.

Kysen

Seeing some heavy hitching in performance on the last turn of a lot of tracks. Also the ghosting on PS4 is starting to annoy me, the effect is really bad when you turn sharply. Headache inducing.

Just before you posted that, I had my new BAC Mono setup finished from the Sakitto(Suzuka, whatever) track. I always wanted to love that car, but braking and that 1st to 2nd shift were kind of a pain to me. Tried it on Doningten National from your video now (ABS on, still haven't got rid of my end-of-braking-directly-into-sliding problems in that car) ...and BOY, that track is FUN in that car! It's like it was made for that. Just an absolute blast.

[this time I beat your time btw. but not my point here]

So a bad decision and a refund from Amazon has permitted me to buy this game on PC I just have one question will I, a filthy wheel-less casual, have any issues with using my xbox one controller? also did 80 people make this or did 80 thousandths of a person(Edit: I am mathtarded) make this?

danowat

Banned
Just before you posted that, I had my new BAC Mono setup finished from the Sakitto(Suzuka, whatever) track. I always wanted to love that car, but braking and that 1st to 2nd shift were kind of a pain to me. Tried it on Doningten National from your video now (ABS on, still haven't got rid of my end-of-braking-directly-into-sliding problems in that car) ...and BOY, that track is FUN in that car! It's like it was made for that. Just an absolute blast.

[this time I beat your time btw. but not my point here]

Yeah, it's a lot of fun!!!, you can really wring it's neck round there :)

I know I'm not really fast, and I'm fine with that, the thousands of hours I've got in iracing and LFS have made me accept that!!!, I just like the challenge and having fun.

Sickbean

But many really good sim-racing players also have kind of a toxic elitist attitude and my fear is that a thread like that would lead to a lot of bragging, bickering and people taking apart the smallest mistakes in even the most helpful analysis. Maybe though... GAF is better than that.

Awesome idea.

ohkay

I've been playing gt6 lately (because I don't wanna fork out for a wheel for ps4 yet) and was actually looking for something like this just yesterday. It'd probably be a great resource if the bickering could be avoided.

OneUh8

Just thought I would chime in on my first experience with the game. On PS4 playing with the DS4.

Love it!

Honestly, I dialed in some controller settings recommended from here and did not have any issue with the driving. This game plays so well and it what I wanted after not being that thrilled with Driveclub. i just like sim racers more. I feel this game is completely playable with a pad. I never used the stock settings though, inputted the recommended settings right when I booted it up. Tried out some GT cars, Formula rookie and Formula A. Game is really good. Just did practice laps from some tracks and one race against AI. So far, I am loving this game a ton. Now it has me wanting to invest in a wheel setup. Might get a T300rs at some point now.

Awesome idea.
Yeaa.... but who wants to be the one starting a thread like that. I have never started a GAF thread and that would be a really bad way to start... so don't look at me. I'd gladly help in anyway I can though.

I've been playing gt6 lately (because I don't wanna fork out for a wheel for ps4 yet) and was actually looking for something like this just yesterday. It'd probably be a great resource if the bickering could be avoided.

Going for gold or at least close to gold in the driving license challenges in GT6 has taught me a lot about cornering. It's the only game were something like (meaningful) driving lessons are already built-in. I remember the one or other challenge where I thought "that was it, I went the fastest possible, that was a perfect run, it's impossible to achieve the gold-time here" and then read the instruction for that lesson again, thought some more about it and tried it out (a LOT). I'm a better driver thanks to that game.
[If you were just talking about setups for the controller or certain cars, please ignore the paragraph above.]

Should you ever want to make the jump to an FFB-wheel, that newest Thrustmaster T300RS is an amazing wheel for that price. I would trade in my more expensive T500RS for that T300RS[edit: not the pedals though ;)]
^ also @OneUh8
Now it has me wanting to invest in a wheel setup. Might get a T300rs at some point now.

ohkay

Going for gold or at least close to gold in the driving license challenges in GT6 has taught me a lot about cornering. It's the only game were something like (meaningful) driving lessons are already built-in. I remember the one or other challenge where I thought "that was it, I went the fastest possible, that was a perfect run, it's impossible to achieve the gold-time here" and then read the instruction for that lesson again, thought some more about it and tried it out (a LOT). I'm a better driver thanks to that game.
[If you were just talking about setups for the controller or certain cars, please ignore the paragraph above.]
Nah, this is what I was talking about, but I think some things could be explained better than they are inside the game. (Though I do remember the old GT booklets being fairly detailed)

LilJoka

Everyone on pad struggling with understeer, go into the differential settings, reduce the sliders for acceleration, decceleration, and LSD Preload. That will let the car rotate more on braking, accelerating out of a corner, and cruising at speed without throttle. I went from mid pack to beating P1 by a fair amount easily. Shift the brake balance rearwards a few notches too.

The stock setups are crap, the stock gearing is also crap, lots of corners need Gear 1 in very fast cars, and realistically that wouldnt really happen. You would pretty quickly spin out. But here it grips like anything.

Thats atleast my experience with the Formula GP? career event and racing the GT cars. Too easy with TC off to do silly maneuvers without spinning. Can easily dive into a corner, heavily downshift with some washboard effect then once in low enough gear the car just grips up and with those Diff settings you should have no problem recovering out of the corner at full speed even if you go a bit wide from turn in understeer.

I have never appreciated gear ratios, but AC setting these per car per track is a god send.

Pretty much you can steer with throttle now.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
First time I've seen the driveline in this game, ugh. I used to use it all the time in Forza but for some reason I had refused any aids in Pcars and now seeing it in action it just looks wierd.
Tbh I'm stunned they still put them in games & even more stunned when I see people use it lol

Tbh I'm stunned they still put them in games & even more stunned when I see people use it lol

There is absolutely no shame in using it. I use it sometimes too (wish you could turn it on and off without leaving practice). There are a lot of tracks I don't really know in this game and it helps me figure out ideal lines through a combination of corners faster. I know all the braking points on it are crap and it doesn't use kerbs enough, but it's still better than driving slowly to get to know the layout and then still not being sure if you are doing some of the more unusual corners right.

Not having it would also alienate a lot of players who are new to the genre or who want a more casual racing experience. Laughing at noobs really helps nobody and I feel sorry for people who think it's fun.

Edit:
I have never appreciated gear ratios, but AC setting these per car per track is a god send.
I hate that only giant gear-ratio steps are available in most cars in this game. I just wanted to fine-tune the gears of a McLaren F1 and the "final gear" is greyed, all available ratios for the individual gears are already used. Basically the only thing I can change is have a gear twice... wtf? Why not grey the whole thing out for that car? They should let them all be edited in up to 2 decimal places and just make that option unavailable if regulations in a racing league allow only for certain ratios.

fresquito

There is absolutely no shame in using it. I use it sometimes too (wish you could turn it on and off without leaving practice). There are a lot of tracks I don't really know in this game and it helps me figure out ideal lines through a combination of corners faster. I know all the braking points on it are crap and it doesn't use kerbs enough, but it's still better than driving slowly to get to know the layout and then still not being sure if you are doing some of the more unusual corners right.

Not having it would also alienate a lot of players who are new to the genre or who want a more casual racing experience. Laughing at noobs really helps nobody and I feel sorry for people who think it's fun.
It really is not. I can understand wwhy people use it. But these people are wrong believing it will be helpful to them. In an arcade game? I can understand. Not in a sim.

It really is not. I can understand why people use it. But these people are wrong believing it will be helpful to them. In an arcade game? I can understand. Not in a sim.

I have this strong urge to comment on this, social inclusion, diversity and enjoyment, but it wouldn't be worth it.

LilJoka

It really is not. I can understand wwhy people use it. But these people are wrong believing it will be helpful to them. In an arcade game? I can understand. Not in a sim.

Agreed, and worst thing is, in PCars the line tells you to brake SO early its just silly, you can come to a near stop by the apex if you actually follow it....
Its like its built for someone with a 2sec input lag.

By using the line, you cant really learn the track, as all your braking points will be based on the line. And when you turn it off, you will be close to square 1 again since you now need to learn braking points by visual references of trackside objects, tyre marks etc. Really tyre marks are the best way to start learning, that and the track map. Just be aware of the type of corner you are approaching, and lookout for the tyre marks on the racing line. Go from there.

Revson

Many of the fastest people use the racing line, not because they need it, but because it provides additional information. Picking different points on the line is much easier than using track markers, which are sometimes hard to see.

I use the line sometimes for this reason and the fact that it gives me additional references when driving different cars.

I can set fast times with or without the line, it's just what I prefer.

Many countries use decimals or spaces as thousands separators instead of commas. It's 80 thousand.

Well I knew that silly billy was just messing around but that just makes me wonder how confusing math could be for some.

Anyways back on topic I'm thinking I need a wheel but I only have about $120 USD I've been digging around and can't seem to find one that's supported for around that price so any help would be appreciated.

Metfanant

Ok, so now that I've had the chance to put in a few hours, and at least get to the point where I start getting some invitational events and have been able to start driving some things other then the karts...

- The game is amazing, and the career mode is exactly what I've been looking for in a career mode for a long time now..

That being said, I think there is serious potential for improvement, and fleshing out the mode a lot more...but the basis of an incredible career mode is there and I'm moving it...

- I'm struggling a lite with the controller while I wait for the new power supply for my T500 to arrive next week, so I'll probably have to relearn everything I've learned up to this point...BUT...controller users really do need to mess with the settings...things can get SO MUCH better than the defaults...

- visually I think the game looks great..the "ghosting" on PS4 is worse in person then I saw in videos, but it could be the size of my TV, being 67" exaggerating the issue, so it might not be as bad on smaller screens...I've gotten a little used to it, but am really looking forward to a toggle or slider to turn the TAA method off...I like how it seems to clean up jaggies quite well, but it just kills sharpness too much for me...

- the game is not very polished...the UI I like the look of a lot, but there are lots of weird design choices...like the default selection after a race being "restart" instead of "continue"

- Other funky glitches I've run across...sometimes, after practice, or qualifying my cat setup can go completely bonkers...and I have to go back in and hit reset to make the car drive able again...

I've had gear ratios go haywire...in the Caterham during one of the invitationals 4th gear became completely useless...it had an identical ratio to 3rd so I had to double upshift...again a "reset" of tuning setup fixed it..

In the M1 Procar invitational I'm currently in I just did the second round (can't remember the track) but pulling out of the garage before practice or qualifying causes the car to hit something...I've even done a barrel roll pulling out onto pit lane. I thought I got hit by another car..and I've seen it happen to AI cars in my rearview mirror...

- overall I'm very happy with the game, I'm enjoying it a ton...I think after a few patches this could be an exceptional game

Fox Mulder

There is somethig to achieve, winning the final championship and the progress to get there. If you don't win Championships you're not going to get offered contracts. There is also 70 tracks, 27 if you don't count variants or ones split into 3 parters like Azura Coast and California. Just because the stuff isn't all locked from the start like other Pokemon racers doesn't mean there is no content.

I get the career gripes, they could have gone deeper with it. They have interesting cars and a ton of tracks to build a neat career mode around.

My favorite career is still Grid. You built a team by picking drivers and earning better sponsorships, or could just stay a contract driver. Got me invested more on top of the driving with that stuff.

Even the F1 games at least had a career mode where you had to climb up shit teams to get to the good ones good ones. You did r&d tests that increased specs a bit. Just a couple little things.

I like the championship structure more than the shitty forza career, but it's nothing special or standout really.

dano1

A Sheep
Ok, so now that I've had the chance to put in a few hours, and at least get to the point where I start getting some invitational events and have been able to start driving some things other then the karts...

- The game is amazing, and the career mode is exactly what I've been looking for in a career mode for a long time now..

That being said, I think there is serious potential for improvement, and fleshing out the mode a lot more...but the basis of an incredible career mode is there and I'm moving it...

- I'm struggling a lite with the controller while I wait for the new power supply for my T500 to arrive next week, so I'll probably have to relearn everything I've learned up to this point...BUT...controller users really do need to mess with the settings...things can get SO MUCH better than the defaults...

- visually I think the game looks great..the "ghosting" on PS4 is worse in person then I saw in videos, but it could be the size of my TV, being 67" exaggerating the issue, so it might not be as bad on smaller screens...I've gotten a little used to it, but am really looking forward to a toggle or slider to turn the TAA method off...I like how it seems to clean up jaggies quite well, but it just kills sharpness too much for me...

- the game is not very polished...the UI I like the look of a lot, but there are lots of weird design choices...like the default selection after a race being "restart" instead of "continue"

- Other funky glitches I've run across...sometimes, after practice, or qualifying my cat setup can go completely bonkers...and I have to go back in and hit reset to make the car drive able again...

I've had gear ratios go haywire...in the Caterham during one of the invitationals 4th gear became completely useless...it had an identical ratio to 3rd so I had to double upshift...again a "reset" of tuning setup fixed it..

In the M1 Procar invitational I'm currently in I just did the second round (can't remember the track) but pulling out of the garage before practice or qualifying causes the car to hit something...I've even done a barrel roll pulling out onto pit lane. I thought I got hit by another car..and I've seen it happen to AI cars in my rearview mirror...

- overall I'm very happy with the game, I'm enjoying it a ton...I think after a few patches this could be an exceptional game

For the Dual Shock 4. Reset the controls back to factory settings and then set the steering sensitivity to zero. I think it's normally 50. It will be as close to Gran Turismo feel you can get!! But obviously a wheel will be better.

NHale

After playing it for 4 hours today, I'm finally getting to grips with how the game handles and how terrible the stock settings for the T300 were. After a lot of tweaks I can finally feel the connection between wheel and the game. Still not perfect but I'm sure better settings will appear in the future.

My biggest fear is also in the past now. This game is nothing like SHIFT 2 in terms of handling. It's a lot of fun to drive and career mode looks promising but I have to dig deeper on the part. And you guys weren't kidding about the UI and menus in the game, a complete mess.

However the online is unsurprising filled with the typical console gamers that drive like they can do whatever it takes to gain position or not to lose positions. Surprisingly even after starting 5 races in the middle of the pack, I was not involved in any turn 1 incident but incidents during the race are plenty. Divebombs being rewarded because the car on the receiving end can't turn ending offtrack, weaving on straights to avoid being overtaken which when collision happens it's the receiving car that spins. Car weaving keeps moving like it's on rails... Punting cars left and right on braking points. What baffles me is that there doesn't seem to be a penalty system in place in this game which makes this impossible to play on console versions. Frankly when something like SR in iRacing already proven it works, it's weird that sim racers don't implement the same idea on their games. Give them a number that decreases everytime they go offtrack or make contact, when level down after a lot of mistakes, block access to some cars on online modes. Considering this is was a game helped by so many sim racers, it's strange something like this isn't in place. What the online is right now is something I expect from an alpha version of a game not a full retail release.

By the way is there a reason why every driver challenge are locked right now? You can only play them on the designated day?

Still having a lot of fun (PS4) but the nagging issues that occasionally make stuff weird at lower tiers keeps piling up into larger problems at the higher end. The graphical problems are becoming more obvious to me but they're still not actually impacting my enjoyment and even when stuff like the ghosting is obvious or pop-in/out at low light angles is frequent. It's consistently smooth so I''m willing to forgive in other areas.

The weird bugs in timing that screw with qualifying results actually start to matter. Weather conditions that change in 30 seconds can entirely ruin a race unless you're psychic and can guess which tyres to run in and put on as you randomly drive by pit in (or even which to start on). More importantly, being in the endurance series now with a minimum of 15 lap races, I absolutely cannot figure out how to tell when my tyres are wearing other than to "feel" it by small chances in car behavior. I have tyres set to "Real" and they just fall off a cliff. My gut feeling is that the hard compound should be able to last 15 laps on a normal track but, again, I have no way of knowing if they are or not. I just get paranoid about making even a tiny mistake and of course will then always make a mistake. Your engineer is completely useless when it comes to tyre issues.

And of course I'm learning these weird things as I go along because there's no help text about any raw basics like doing anything other than setting your tyres to "automatic" and fuel defaulting to full load at all times even if you just need a tenth of that. And that I only figured out after having to set up a pit stop on the fly during a race after facing a frightfully complicated menu for just the most basic of service.

I simply have no idea how such basic things such as timing and tyre usage could not be set up properly in a sim game that went through a thousand builds. The game is still great, but as I'm up to the top tiers my tolerance for the most nagging issues is going down. For example, I can understand starting from the back if I have a legitimately bad qualifying session. I cannot stand it if I have a good session and 26 of the other 29 LMP cars get bugged into having Sector 3 not count in their lap times, and on top of that bugs the second-fastest qualifying lap order so I start dead last in the second race. Or maybe on pole. Who knows? Feels like it might as well be random.

Overall it feels like a beta. A beta with mostly UI annoyances and bugs that seem pretty straightforward, plus a few balance tweaks. There's tons of content so no complaints there. I'm certainly no developer but it would be hard to convince me that menu changes and some help text would take all that much work to patch.

Oh, and teach the AI what the hell blue flags are. Christ. The game has blue flag detection to give the player but won't take the AI off the driving line, ever? Come on.

CHC

Is 3rd person camera viable in this game? I'm more an arcade / casual racer fan, but I've been intrigued by P Cars for a long time now. I'm not interested in buying a wheel or getting hardcore with it though, so it might be the wrong game for me.

Metfanant

For the Dual Shock 4. Reset the controls back to factory settings and then set the steering sensitivity to zero. I think it's normally 50. It will be as close to Gran Turismo feel you can get!! But obviously a wheel will be better.
I'll keep that in mind and try it out tomorrow

waters10

Neo Member
Frankly when something like SR in iRacing already proven it works, it's weird that sim racers don't implement the same idea on their games. Give them a number that decreases everytime they go offtrack or make contact, when level down after a lot of mistakes, block access to some cars on online modes.
Yeah. I love the SR in iracing. I'm not a subscriber anymore, but the SR in general, works! I'd love to see a racing game to try that concept, even if it's a separate mode, so people can have access to normal online MP, and then maybe a "hardcore MP" mode with a similar SR concept in effect!

Brehs, what is the deal with cold tires? Is this anywhere near realistic?

And if so, why does it look like the AI doesn't have have the same lack of traction I do to start? My entire first lap of Practice/Qualifying is pure derp racing.

EDIT: Actually I'm not even sure if it's cold tires, sometimes the car will just go completely crazy for no reason at all after returning to pit or restarting a race even though I had control of it the lap before. Am I missing something or is the game bugging out?

Klocker

And if so, why does it look like the AI doesn't have have the same lack of traction I do to start? My entire first lap of Practice/Qualifying is pure derp racing.

EDIT: Actually I'm not even sure if it's cold tires, sometimes the car will just go completely crazy for no reason at all after returning to pit or restarting a race even though I had control of it the lap before. Am I missing something or is the game bugging out?

Yea. The settings seem to lose all sense at times and game needs a restart

Ardenyal

And if so, why does it look like the AI doesn't have have the same lack of traction I do to start?

Im doing endurance race right now and decided to swap drivers so the AI is driving for me. He is lapping 4 seconds faster than me.
he is driving in rain, i was out when it was dry
He is still on slicks and lapping faster

danowat

Banned

It's over done, that's for sure.

There was a good point made above about the setups,in most cases they are very safe which means understeer, and in many cases they are just junk.

Like the controls, out of the box they are pretty horrible.

Top Bottom