• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Mascot

I know GT5 kind of did it first, but the variable time of day and changeable weather effects add so much atmosphere to the races, and do an incredible job of keeping the game fresh when rotating through only a few of the circuits. Start in pre-dawn darkness, introduce some post-dawn mist, watch as that burns away into bright sunshine before cloud cover rolls in at sunset. Love it.

xrnzaaas

Got an invitational involving the 300SEL yesterday. Omg this thing drives like a tank. Chose the Ford instead of it and I was finally able to post competetive times (so was the AI, because top7 after qualifying in Oulton Park were Fords). :)

I also like the weather and time changes in career races. Racing in Donington Park in heavy fog & rain in cockpit view was something else. If I didn't know the track I'd probably be all over the place since the GP version has two blind corners and plenty of fast sections.

saladine1

I know GT5 kind of did it first, but the variable time of day and changeable weather effects add so much atmosphere to the races, and do an incredible job of keeping the game fresh when rotating through only a few of the circuits. Start in pre-dawn darkness, introduce some post-dawn mist, watch as that burns away into bright sunshine before cloud cover rolls in at sunset. Love it.

Yep, adds so much to the game.

Forza 6 needs something like this. It needs it. (The rain can fuck off though)

Metfanant

I wrote a short guide on how the career mode works, I know most of it is quite straight forward, but I have seen a few posts showing a little confusion.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?25876-GUIDE-Career-mode

the only question I have regarding the career mode, is: can you eventually work backwards in the tiers?...id like to go through and get the zero to hero goal...but then go and focus on just driving GT3 level cars for the rest of my career...

LilJoka

Is 3rd person camera viable in this game? I'm more an arcade / casual racer fan, but I've been intrigued by P Cars for a long time now. I'm not interested in buying a wheel or getting hardcore with it though, so it might be the wrong game for me.

It is, you just need to reduce 3rd person camera sway and it feels like Forza/GT.

danowat

Banned
the only question I have regarding the career mode, is: can you eventually work backwards in the tiers?...id like to go through and get the zero to hero goal...but then go and focus on just driving GT3 level cars for the rest of my career...

No, you'd have to start a new career for that.

Mascot

Yep, adds so much to the game.

Forza 6 needs something like this. It needs it. (The rain can fuck off though)

Yeah, the rain is a PITA to drive in and looks pretty crappy. No way will Dan add precipitation to FM, but I can see global illumination for ToD and different cloud cover, fog etc.

thumbsdown.gif

Also why can't you get offers from all kinds of racing leagues if you did really great (could have made that difficulty dependent too)?
I don't think Max Verstappen went through 5 other seasons and racing leagues before he got from karts to Formula 1.

In the next PCARS they should make an optional story-mode for the career, where you have to give interviews, can sign contracts of teams that have almost no money and freak out if you break something on their car, have team- and driver-rivalries or FIA-scandals involving violations against regulations.

Yeah, the rain is a PITA to drive in and looks pretty crappy. No way will Dan add precipitation to FM, but I can see global illumination for ToD and different cloud cover, fog etc.
What? NOO, of course FM6 will have this (I hope). Not as something random in the campaign-mode, but optional in free race mode and maybe some specially set up campaign races, that feature cars that are somewhat easy to drive in the rain.

DrBo42

Surprised how well it runs/looks on my shitty 896 mb 650m. Hard to get used to just how ham you need to be on the brakes compared to other games (at least on a controller). Feels good though.

Wheel is still fucked after a re-install but hey-ho.

Currently suffering through the kart events in career mode on input 2 with the controller and the game is serviceable. Still massive understeer in general but if I set the deadzone to 0 then the game completely locks my car to steering right from the start of every race lol.

LilJoka

Not quite sure how you can clearly jump the lights at the start of every race without getting a penalty.

The problem is that its always the same, so you can easily shift up into 1st before it goes green and in that 500ms or so, you engage 1st just as the lights go green and start to move. Its easy to perfect and you can go from dead last P25 into an easy mid pack or P6 position by T1. The AI also dont really know what to do on the grid as you approach so fast.

In AC they have a random amount of time between the final red and green, making it difficult to guess the shift (not that it lets you anyway..). They need to randomise the timing then itll be good.

Currently suffering through the kart events in career mode on input 2 with the controller and the game is serviceable. Still massive understeer in general but if I set the deadzone to 0 then the game completely locks my car to steering right from the start of every race lol.

See my post on the last page about understeer.

Gents,

We're doing a pCARS hotlap challenge over in the PC Sims thread. We've done a bunch of these already with various other titles, and it's been a lot of fun.

I posted the challenge over there instead of here for continuity's sake mostly, but not entirely. It's got nothing to do with some master race bullshit or no game pads allowed garbage. It's just that I don't know some of the logistics of posting laptimes/screenshots/videos from the consoles.

Is this sort of thing easily possible? I'm not looking for the ultimate in definitive proof, but just something more interesting for people to look at beyond a spreadsheet of lap times. You know what I mean?

If anyone has any ideas on how best to do this, I'd love some insight!

Meanwhile the combo is Caper Stock Car @ Oschersleben in Time Trial mode if anyone wants to have a crack. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers welcome. It's only about having fun. We'll get a proper post going in here with the combined times shortly.

Thanks!

Fox Mulder

I want rain in f6. It looks great in horizon 2, and still prefer the rain in the codemasters f1 games over pcars.

I can live without a visual damage model that affects frame rate, but give me time of day changes and weather.

Metfanant

Also why can't you get offers from all kinds of racing leagues if you did really great (could have made that difficulty dependent too)?
I don't think Max Verstappen went through 5 other seasons and racing leagues before he got from karts to Formula 1.

In the next PCARS they should make an optional story-mode for the career, where you have to give interviews, can sign contracts of teams that have almost no money and freak out if you break something on their car, have team- and driver-rivalries or FIA-scandals involving violations against regulations.

Well, I think the groundwork for a really special career mode is here...maybe through patches (doubt it) or in pCARS2 we will get a few more of those things like you mentioned...SMS really needs to look at other sports titles...FIFA, Madden, MLB, NBA2k etc...there is a lot to be learned there...

Jibbed

The server browser in this thing is terrible. Seriously right, that and the collision behaviour in MP just makes the whole thing seem like an afterthought. This game still needs work. A lot.

I've got 175 hours logged and have been in this since day 1, so don't think I've popped in here just to troll.

Edit: Has there been any news yet on an upcoming patch? What they're looking at first etc... I've had a look around the WMD forums but not finding shit yet.

LilJoka

When tuning, i couildnt get symmetric setups to work, i pressed the button a few times for symmetric/asymmetric, but i still had to adjust both sides independently..

danowat

Banned
Gents,

We're doing a pCARS hotlap challenge over in the PC Sims thread. We've done a bunch of these already with various other titles, and it's been a lot of fun.

I posted the challenge over there instead of here for continuity's sake mostly, but not entirely. It's got nothing to do with some master race bullshit or no game pad's allowed garbage. It's just that I don't know some of the logistics of posting laptimes/screenshots/videos from the consoles.

Is this sort of thing easily possible? I'm not looking for the ultimate in definitive proof, but just something more interesting for people to look at beyond a spreadsheet of lap times. You know what I mean?

Meanwhile the combo is Caper Stock Car @ Oschersleben in Time Trial mode if anyone wants to have a crack. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers welcome. It's only about having fun.

Thanks!

You can easily do screendumps or video footage from both ps4 and xbo, that should be enough proof.

Jilt

Gents,

I posted the challenge over there instead of here for continuity's sake mostly, but not entirely. It's got nothing to do with some master race bullshit or no game pad's allowed garbage. It's just that I don't know some of the logistics of posting laptimes/screenshots/videos from the consoles.

Meanwhile the combo is Caper Stock Car @ Oschersleben in Time Trial mode if anyone wants to have a crack. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers welcome. It's only about having fun. We'll get a proper post going in here with the combined times shortly.

Thanks!

Nice!! Will try that later on!

Here a close door 2 door action filled online race.
Only two left, but close anyway ;-)

https://youtu.be/Vu9ACJwNqoQ

fresquito

The problem is that its always the same, so you can easily shift up into 1st before it goes green and in that 500ms or so, you engage 1st just as the lights go green and start to move. Its easy to perfect and you can go from dead last P25 into an easy mid pack or P6 position by T1. The AI also dont really know what to do on the grid as you approach so fast.

In AC they have a random amount of time between the final red and green, making it difficult to guess the shift (not that it lets you anyway..). They need to randomise the timing then itll be good.

See my post on the last page about understeer.
The time is already random here.

cyen

Performance is all over the place with this game, maxed out with a titanx at 1080p i get 40fps with 20cars grid while raining.

Im reading that for amd users it´s a nightmare, a 760/770 beating a 290x? i thought that only would happen in dreams, but no, it´s happening in Pcars.

Reading to this thread :https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/366iqs/nvidia_gameworks_project_cars_and_why_we_should/ it seems gameworks is to blame, even for nvidia hw

How can a titan X not output at least 60fps under the most stressing setting at 1080p in a racing game?

Have you ever updated your wheel? If not give that a shot.

Spookie

I think I've fallen in love with the Ginetta Junior car, it's an awesome Sunday drive. Now I've dialled in the FFB I can tell when the car is shouting at me to stop pushing it too hard. It's bollocks it's taken me almost a week to get the FFB where it needs to be though. I should be able to quickly configure it ala AC or GSCE.
facepalm.gif

Still that being said now it's configured it's great to drive. It's certainly becoming my go-to sim, more so than RaceRoom which was occupying most of my time previously.

Reading to this thread :https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/366iqs/nvidia_gameworks_project_cars_and_why_we_should/ it seems gameworks is to blame, even for nvidia hw

There is a choice quote in there which should have AMD users blasting SMS:

No, in this case there is an entire thread in the Project Cars graphics subforum where we discussed with the software engineers directly about the problems with the game and AMD video cards. SMS knew for the past 3 years that Nvidia based PhysX effects in their game caused the frame rate to tank into the sub 20 fps region for AMD users. It is not something that occurred overnight or the past few months. It didn't creep in suddenly. It was always there from day one.

The fact they had the balls to blame this on AMD is hilarious.

Dilly

Banned
There are numerous benchmarks throughout development and during AMD optimisation that shows that performance went backwards again after AMD released newer drivers.

Anton668

Gents,

We're doing a pCARS hotlap challenge over in the PC Sims thread.

Thanks!

just for shiggles and gits I tried without any special set up and best I came up with was a 1 min 40. maybe when I have time i'll get a lil better...

fresquito

If it is, its not random enough, they need to make the random period between 0.5sec and 2sec. I can always be off at the green light, so the random window is too small.
You're probably mistaking how green light works. Penalties are given for crossing the line, not for moving. The green light has a wide range. Like any random, odds are you'll see middle grounds more often. But don't get too confident, specially with more powerful cars.

_machine

Reading through the old thread and through my posts on the developer of the game was quite a nostalgia overload (and I can't help but to miss some of the banned guys and Fastest Sector). Even though not all goals of the game were quite met and not all planned disciplines were reached I can't help but to feel quite happy with how the game turned out, though that's me as a PC player. I know for sure that a proper wheel will now be the first thing I buy when I either get first royalties out of our game or from pCARS. I'll definitely get back to improving my Hotlap Challenge time.

There is a choice quote in there which should have AMD users blasting SMS.

The fact they had the balls to blame this on AMD is hilarious.
That is nothing but absolute FUD, the game doesn't use Gameworks in the core (I'm not even sure if any Gameworks features have been implemented). Project Cars is using pretty much the same PhysX as Unity for example, and it has absolutely zero to do with GPU performance. AMD drivers also have nothing to do with PhysX even though the current problem lies within the CPU part of the drivers. Basically it's people confusing what PhysX truly is or can be.

As for that choice quote, pCARS has never had PhysX graphics effects.

kie25

Just been playing Watkins glen gp track, never really played this track before on any racer, what a great track it is, managed the GT world record, can't stop playing project cars great game, lots of bugs but still great gameplay.

http://youtu.be/StSwHWho5-0

LilJoka

You're probably mistaking how green light works. Penalties are given for crossing the line, not for moving. The green light has a wide range. Like any random, odds are you'll see middle grounds more often. But don't get too confident, specially with more powerful cars.

It doesn't matter, the cars should be lined up to the end of the box, and moving should be a false start. This is how it is in Formula 1.

Here you are basically beating the AI by easily rolling up to the line while the AI are engaging the first gear. Hence you get a huge advantage.

I've been doing it with the Formula cars and the McLaren GT3 car.

And if you shift into first when lights go green you'll always be playing catchup since the AI start moving right after the lights go green, their shift time seems to be pre calculated.

So as they start to move Ive already got momentum approaching the end of the box.

danowat

Banned

Regardless, the AI still sit there and don't even attempt to move till the green light, meaning you can get a massive jump on them without getting a penalty.

OK fellas, the return of the hotlap challenge!

0rpWYd8.png

Hotlap Challenge!

Caper Stock Car @ Oschersleben

Time Trial mode, Run it however you'd like. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers are welcome. TT mode prohibits setups I think... An accompanying screenshot or video would be great, but it's not mandatory. If you've got a really competitive time, it get a little more so though ;-)

Have fun!

---------------

1. 1:27.653 - Betta Lines (video) //
2. 1:27.935 - Revson (pic) // XB1, using controller
3. 1:28.502 - markao // PC
4. 1:28.887 - Big Takeover (video) //auto-clutch only
5. 1:29.925 - The_D (pic) // Wheel/real assists/manual with sequential
6. 1:29.939 - Seanspeed (netherworld) // PC, wheel
7. 1:30:187 - Morabu (video) (pic) // Wheel, Manual w/auto clutch, no assists except ABS
8. 1.30:292 - Arucardo (post) // No assists and clutch+ H shifter
9. 1:30:306 - Dilly (post) // no assist and clutch+G25
10. 1.30.644 - marvelharvey (pic)
11. 1:30.818 - Slirb (pic) // PC - Wheel (DFP) - ABS only
12. 1:31:259 - saladine1 (pic)
13. 1:31:538 - KillerAJD (pic) // T500RS w/no assists aside from auto-clutch
14. 1.31.616 - Jilt (video) // Steering wheel, no assists, use of clutch and H-shifter
15. 1:31.828 - Azzawon (pic) // XB1
16. 1:32.025 - Megasoum (pic) // Wheel, manual transmission/auto clutch,TS/ABS
17. 1:32.036 - TylerDurden4321 (video) ([URL="http://i.imgbox.com/PFYMvAoV.jpg"]pic)[/URL] // XB1, Wheel, no assists (edit: but auto-clutch)
18. 1:32.296 - mil6es (video) // PS4, DS4, ABS,Line Guide
19. 1:32.437 - Dave_6 (pic) // PC
20. 1:32.533 - Brentech (pic) // DS4, Manual/TS/ABS
21. 1:33.083 - soundscream (post) //wheel, no assist
22. 1:33.675 - Flightwave (pic) // Wheel, no assists, automatic
23. 1:33.922 - danowat (video) // PS4, pad, no assists
24. 1:34:01x - _machine (post) // 360 Pad and ABS only
25. 1:34.107 - Gareth Bale (post) // (wheel, PC)
26. 1:36.533 - Anton668 (pic) // Nibs controller setup on PC with a DS4
27. 1:36.959 - Gestault (pic) // PS4, Controller w/ auto-transmission
28. 1:37 "or something" - Mascot // SADISTS!
29. 1:38 "something" - Addnan
30. 1:39.108 - bananafactory (pic) // T100 Wheel, Manual w/auto clutch, no assists
31. 1:41:173 - mitchlol (post) // DFGT - Auto clutch PC
32. 1:42.816 - RP912 (pic) // PC

5h2ok8.gif

You'll see I took the chicane like a shitbag, and it breaks my heart. I know you hoodlums are going to be mowing more than your fair share of grass, so consider it preemptive :) It's legal, sadly. There's more cutting to be had too. Just wagging my index finger isn't going to cut it I'm afraid.

fresquito

It doesn't matter, the cars should be lined up to the end of the box, and moving should be a false start. This is how it is in Formula 1.
F1 is not the beginning and end of motorsports. I have no stats, but I think for most disciplines it's done like it's in the game. And even if it's not the case, there're a lot of disciplines that support this system. Ideally, the system should adapt to the discipline you're racing in, but that would also be confusing for most players.

BTW, the fastest way to start is not going into 1st gear when the light turns green, but be in 1st gear with your clutch and throttle pressed, then release clutch once the green light appears (or sooner if you want to anticipate).

Regardless, the AI still sit there and don't even attempt to move till the green light, meaning you can get a massive jump on them without getting a penalty.
There's no denying there. The AI is too slow at start. But it has nothing to do with how the start system works, but with how AI is programmed to start races.

Bobnob

@big takeover you can tune, you just have to save it to that car and track before you run it.It automaticaly puts the tune on when you enter TT

LilJoka

F1 is not the beginning and end of motorsports. I have no stats, but I think for most disciplines it's done like it's in the game. And even if it's not the case, there're a lot of disciplines that support this system. Ideally, the system should adapt to the discipline you're racing in, but that would also be confusing for most players.

BTW, the fastest way to start is not going into 1st gear when the light turns green, but be in 1st gear with your clutch and throttle pressed, then release clutch once the green light appears (or sooner if you want to anticipate).

There's no denying there. The AI is too slow at start. But it has nothing to do with how the start system works, but with how AI is programmed to start races.

They just need to penalise the driver for exploiting the system or allow the AI to exploit the system, i dont care which.

0rpWYd8.png

Hotlap Challenge!

Time Trial mode, Run it however you'd like. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers are welcome. TT mode prohibits setups I think... An accompanying screenshot or video would be great, but it's not mandatory. If you've got a really competitive time, it get a little more so though ;-)

Have fun!

---------------

1. 1:29.500 - Big Takeover (Video) //auto-clutch only
2. 1:34:01 - _machine // 360 Pad and ABS only

5h2ok8.gif

You'll see I took the chicane like a shitbag, and it breaks my heart. I know you hoodlums are going to be mowing more than your fair share of grass, so consider it preemptive :) It's legal, sadly. There's more cutting to be had too. Just wagging my index finger isn't going to cut it I'm afraid.

Blah, gave it about 20min and I know I'm leaving a ton of time out there.

1:34.974//wheel, no assist

fresquito

They just need to penalise the driver for exploiting the system or allow the AI to exploit the system, i dont care which.
There's not such a thing as exploiting the system. The system is that you can move your car all you want without leaving your little box. There's no explointing here. But I agree that the AI should follow suit.

@big takeover you can tune, you just have to save it to that car and track before you run it.It automaticaly puts the tune on when you enter TT

Ah, I thought the default setup on the stock car was much better than I remembered! I had done a little work on it previously.

On the one hand, my preference is for these to not be a battle of setups. On the other, I think the out of the box setups in pCARS are nearly universally dreadful.

Nice time, SS!

Anton668

0rpWYd8.png

Hotlap Challenge!

Have fun!

---------------

1. 1:29.500 - Big Takeover (Video) //auto-clutch only
2. 1:34:01 - _machine // 360 Pad and ABS only

messed around a lil more. still best I could do atm...
087Onwy.jpg

using Nibs controller setup on PC with a DS4

Ah, I thought the default setup on the stock car was much better than I remembered! I had done a little work on it previously.

On the one hand, my preference is for these to not be a battle of setups. On the other, I think the out of the box setups in pCARS are nearly universally dreadful.

Nice time, SS!

I only adjusted the FFB, the stock setup wasn't that bad.

It's been updated to the initial patch needed for FM5. Thrustmaster's software is iffy at best IIRC and the wheel still works fine/as intended in FM5/FH2/EuroTruck2
So you never did any of the 3 updates since launch? I am using the update just before the last one released and its been a smooth experience for me. I would just give it a shot if I were you.

Top Bottom