• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Mascot

Anyone who normally skips practice and qualifying in career races, please give it a go. Not only does it add to the atmosphere and authenticity of the race weekend, it can be almost as much fun as the race itself.

There's nothing quite like managing to cross the finish line with seconds to go then doing the lap of your life to climb a dozen positions and nail pole, especially when you're willing the slower-moving traffic ahead to peel off into the pits to give you a clear run at the final corner, and they dutifully oblige.

Love it.

The is by far the best playing racing simulator I've played. I absolutely love the driving model. That's all I can say. I was 50/50 on buying it but I'm so glad I ended up getting it.

Mauser5000

Neo Member
Impressions incoming!

After 7.5 hours of playing, wow this is what ive been waiting for as a PS4 user!

After nailing the DS4 control just right, i started driving the shifter karts! Loved every twist and turn! (remember "heel&toe")

Next, SUPER fcking karts! holy shit i dont even want to move onto next class!
"never knew karts would be this fun!"

Currently driving the first caterham invitationals. " Feather the throttle and youll handle it"
Minor bugs here and there... Finally decent racing game!

Revson

0rpWYd8.png

Hotlap Challenge!

Caper Stock Car @ Oschersleben

Time Trial mode, Run it however you'd like. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers are welcome. TT mode prohibits setups I think... An accompanying screenshot or video would be great, but it's not mandatory. If you've got a really competitive time, it get a little more so though ;-)

Have fun!

Really fun track/car combo! :)

1:27.935 on XB1, using controller.

ugsUQjPh.png

There's at least a 27.5xx in it, kept choking in the last section.

You will have to learn each track and all its turns. :).

Try driving with other oppenents and see their braking line. ( drive behind them)

Yeah I'm noticing that haha

I am also playing manual instead of auto which is a first for me. Always played GT in automatic

I do like the control I have going through turns this way, it just means in addition to learning the track I'm also learning what gear I should be in and where. It's really rewarding though

Mauser5000

Neo Member
I can't even make a single lap without going off track but I refuse to use any assists

I will master this game!

Im using only the ABS braking. AI is set 40-60% Just remember to Feather the throttle!
Also if using the controller keep the left stick pushed forward as you apply steering inputs. (hopefully you understood what i meant. :D)

Im using only the ABS braking. AI is set 40-60% Just remember to Feather the throttle!
Also if using the controller keep the left stick pushed forward as you apply steering inputs. (hopefully you understood what i meant. :D)

Using a wheel but if I do switch to pad I'll remember that thanks!

Maybe I'll try turning on ABS at least, see if that makes things easier

xrnzaaas

I tried several other cars yesterday. Mercedes 190E 2.5-16 Evo2 became one of my favorite cars in the game. I was surprised by how the LMP1 Audi was easy to drive and how difficult McLaren P1 is to control. :)

danowat

Banned
This game can be really cruel.

Last race in the BMW 320 Turbo Gr5 cup, Imola, this car is tough enough to drive fast on sticky slicks on a dry track......

Qualifying was wet, which meant I couldn't even string a legal lap together, so started from the back.

Race was dry, so stick slicks on, work my way up from 16th to 7th, and then on the last lap, the heavens opened, and the car turned into Bambi on ice with the slicks on, so it was just a case of trying to keep it on the black stuff, lost a place and finished 8th.

That'll teach me for thinking, ahh, dry race from the rear of the grid, I'll whack the boost up and try to win the race with brute force, yeah, not so good in the wet!

Sickbean

Do real life pros drive with all assists off all the time?

If so, is that mandated by rules or because they're just faster without them?

danowat

Banned
Do real life pros drive with all assists off all the time?

If so, is that mandated by rules or because they're just faster without them?

Depends on the series, GT3 has ABS and traction control.

Link to Ian Bell's posts on the public WMD forums

Worth keeping an eye on - gives periodical assurances that bug reports are getting noticed and worked on.

Not public, cause I can't see it!!!, fancy posting it here?

3rd edit.......

NXGamer tech analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8yV4CwKljY

sourc3d

This game can be really cruel.

Last race in the BMW 320 Turbo Gr5 cup, Imola, this car is tough enough to drive fast on sticky slicks on a dry track......

Qualifying was wet, which meant I couldn't even string a legal lap together, so started from the back.

Race was dry, so stick slicks on, work my way up from 16th to 7th, and then on the last lap, the heavens opened, and the car turned into Bambi on ice with the slicks on, so it was just a case of trying to keep it on the black stuff, lost a place and finished 8th.

That'll teach me for thinking, ahh, dry race from the rear of the grid, I'll whack the boost up and try to win the race with brute force, yeah, not so good in the wet!

Its these personal experience 'stories' that really are the hall mark of a truly great game.

GTA does it, some MMORPG's do it, and I think this is one of the first racing games to really do it.

I guess its about the randomness that the more freeform games allow, so with car setups/ weather/ time of day/AI behaviour and driver skill all playing a part it elevates what would otherwise be a simple race into a truly personal experience that you want to tell others about.

Love it!

danowat

Banned
Its these personal experience 'stories' that really are the hall mark of a truly great game.

GTA does it, some MMORPG's do it, and I think this is one of the first racing games to really do it.

I guess its about the randomness that the more freeform games allow, so with car setups/ weather/ time of day/AI behaviour and driver skill all playing a part it elevates what would otherwise be a simple race into a truly personal experience that you want to tell others about.

Love it!

Yeah, each race is it's own game, like the time I thought it would be a good idea to use the RUF RGT-8 on an event around Brands Hatch, hard to drive at the best of times, so the game decided to troll me and chuck in some heavy fog during the race, could no longer spot my braking points any more, because there was less than 100m visibility!.

Shame the AI are unaffected by it........

Mascot

Not public, cause I can't see it!!!, fancy posting it here?

You should be able to see them - you've not been banned, have you..? :p

I'm not a WMD member and I can access them. It's a link to his posts on the public forums. Shouldn't be linked to my account. Anyone else try?

Magitex

Well, I'm pretty furious. Project cars just iced my profile (PC).
Apparently if you have shared memory enabled (for external telemetry) and try to watch a replay, you lose your damn profile, including racing career, records, setups and settings.

It's been known for a week or two and it hasn't been patched, argh..

How such basic issues occur in 2015 is beyond me.
Step 1. back up the profile before writing.
Step 2. write to the profile.
Step 3. avoid furious rage when it destroys profile, complete.

Mauser5000

Neo Member
Blew my EVOs engine at the Final lap 100meters before finish... priceless. Still came 1st. Rolling in neutral by some hundreds of a second or something, i just Couldn take it lol.

Dilly

Banned
You should be able to see them - you've not been banned, have you..? :p

I'm not a WMD member and I can access them. It's a link to his posts on the public forums. Shouldn't be linked to my account. Anyone else try?

You linked the searchquery instead of the topic, which means you need an account.

Azzawon

OK fellas, the return of the hotlap challenge!

0rpWYd8.png

Hotlap Challenge!

Caper Stock Car @ Oschersleben

Time Trial mode, Run it however you'd like. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers are welcome. TT mode prohibits setups I think... An accompanying screenshot or video would be great, but it's not mandatory. If you've got a really competitive time, it get a little more so though ;-)

Have fun!

I'm going to give this a try tonight on XB1. I really enjoy Oschersleben, too. I'll post again when I'm done!

Mascot

You linked the searchquery instead of the topic, which means you need an account.

Yeah, the link was to a search query for all posts by Ian Bell, but danowat does have an account there. The search must be account-specific.

Oh well, never mind. If you have an account just search for all posts by Ian Bell. If you want. I don't care any more.

:p

Shame the AI are unaffected by it........

Which takes quite a bit of the thrill away from those moments. Being in the heat of the battle in this game is great fun, but those times where you can sense the AI isn't feeling the same things you are, which happen frequently, pull me all the way out of it.

danowat

Banned
I don't get how the leaderboards work in this game, surely there are more times between 1:34 (13th place) and 1:36 (14th place)?

Azzawon

I don't get how the leaderboards work in this game, surely there are more times between 1:34 (13th place) and 1:36 (14th place)?

It's quite an obscure track/car combo and I'm guessing (on PC?) that there's not a huge amount of people that would think to run it :p

Mascot

It's quite an obscure track/car combo and I'm guessing that only a sadist with utter contempt for humanity would ever have been evil enough to come up that unholy alliance of a farting canal barge with wheels fashioned from blocks of ice and a track that consists entirely of chicanes and hairpin bends like some winding death-road that leads right up Satan's arse and into the belly of oblivion.

The leaderboards are very odd in this game.

Patrick S.

Banned
Is there a good article putting this game up against Assetto Corsa? I wonder which of these games promises more longevity. I only care about single player mode.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
After nailing the DS4 control just right,

Mind sharing your settings? I'm really busy right now,(moving house next week) so I don't have a lot of time for gaming. Was hoping for a patch to improve things, but it would be nice if I could try some other settings to compare without spending a great deal of time tinkering with things.

mighty_salmon

Neo Member
Mind sharing your settings? I'm really busy right now,(moving house next week) so I don't have a lot of time for gaming. Was hoping for a patch to improve things, but it would be nice if I could try some other settings to compare without spending a great deal of time tinkering with things.

I second this.

Not sure if this is something that's been touched on or discussed elsewhere, but are people sharing their handling/control set ups?

I'm looking for something that's similar to PGR3/4.

With driving aids on, I find Project CARS way too easy and with all driving aids off, it's way too realistic for my taste.

I have turned the driving aids back on but now deactivated the braking assist and the traction? (i think), so I can still lose grip and send the back end out a bit, but I'm not doing 4 donuts after the first corner.

I do like this whole aspect of customisation in Project CARS, just need to find my balance.

Mauser5000

Neo Member

Thanks to helpful member in pcars forums (JohnnyDNGRSLY)
using these ive been more than happy! also each car need track specific tuning, but after using these i havent had to meddle with controller settings anymore!

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...-amp-Solutions&p=908506&viewfull=1#post908506

mighty_salmon

Neo Member
I posted my settings a number of pages back, can repost if people are interested.

Yea, that could help.

Maybe there's scope to create a few arbitrary handling/control/car setups and post some screen shots on a new thread here?

Like difficulty tiers. 1 to 5, 1 being default easy settings and 5 being default hardest settings. Then work on 2 or 3 customised handling/control/setup schemes that reside somewhere in the middle.

Grade them based on difficulty and fun level? Or comparitive to other distinct driving games.

Obviously people will be tailoring this game to their own personal taste, but it's a base people can work from.

Tried my sons t80 wheel with this last night and had a blast! Going to try and get a t100 for myself. Id love a t300 but that's gonna take some saving.

But online has been chaos this weekend, between the people driving like it's burnout and the people who just quit if there not in the top 5 after the first turn I've decided to stick to playing with mates till the chaff get weeded out.

Mascot

Cross-quoting from the face-off thread in case it gets missed.

Worth a watch, it's pretty in-depth and has some interesting insights. There's occasionally odd inflection in the delivery as the narrator reads from his script without always realising what he's saying, but don't let that put you off.

NX GAMER's ANALYSIS.

Some very good information in there;

The 750ti is on average 20fps below the performance of the PS4.(Even in non weather races).

IQ on PS4 is very good in motion, even better than the normal PC application of MSAA (since it get rids of shimmering due to TAA)

Career Mode is 60fps for the most part on consoles and the 970, game slows down on all machines including the 970 (below 60fps) during stress tests. 750ti is normally at 20+ fps in these stress tests.

Motion blur on the PS4 version is reduced or dialed back because of frame doubling, textures may look slightly blurrier/softer on PS4 due to the TAA, the tradeoff for the better IQ in motion.

Shadows are worse on the XB1 against the PS4/PC.

The way the game handles background to foreground transparencies can be affecting performance negatively, transparencies are being rendered when it ought not to. A future patch may sought this out and give even better performance overall.

The mid range PC cards do not outclass the consoles on similar settings, farless the entry level 750ti. Yet another game where the 750ti does not outclass the consoles or PS4 in particular. This is in stark contrast to what Df said, just that there's proof here unlike DF's (just trust us claims).

The A10 seems to be giving better performance in this game over the i3 as well. (may have to revisit the part where he said that).

All in all, a quick summary of what I observed, maybe I missed certain things, there's quite a bit of information in there. Another great piece of work by NX all round.

danowat

Banned
teering deadzone 6
Steering sensitivity 0
Throttle deadzone 10
Throttle sensitivity 30
Brake deadzone 10
Brake sensitivity 30
Speed sensitivity 55
Controller filtering 40
Advanced on
Soft steering damper on

Two points.......

Speed sensitivity is a contentious one, if you are struggling with high speed sweeping corners and understeer, you may need to reduce this one.

Each car has a steering rack adjustment, the default setups are all over the place, so check this setting, you can basically make it slow(er), which will make the steering less sensitive, or fast(er) which will make the steering more sensitive, again, like the speed sensitivity, if you are struggling with understeer you may need to make it faster, and if you are struggling with the steering being too sensitive, you may need to make it slower.

Top Bottom