• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I've really tried to get into it but I'm just not finding it fun. I've tried various controller settings but the handling still feels twitchy, and I've NEVER had to fiddle so much with controller settings in ANY game, EVER.

I'm certainly not tempted to invest in a wheel set up in the hope the game get's better.
The wheel makes all the difference in the world with this game. I havent eben felt the need to tweak anything with it, it just works and feels natural. Unlike the pad. I'd be very disappointed if I only had the pad to play.

cackhyena

I asked this a while back but don't think I got a response. Does anyone make it a regular thing to up the amount of laps a race takes in career mode? I have yet to do this, but since I'm on pad, and kinda qualify terribly most times, I'm finding it hard to place well in just two laps.

T3PA pedal owners. Do you use the conical mod? Just received my pedals today but don't know whether to fit the mod or not.

For the love of all things holy YES! There is no resistance on the brake and unless you have the muscle memory of a ninja you will over brake more often then not.

plidex

Go to 9:35 in this video and it might explain it.

Yep, that's probably it.

T3PA pedal owners. Do you use the conical mod? Just received my pedals today but don't know whether to fit the mod or not.

I use it, it took me a while to get accustomed to it and I don't think it has improved my driving, but it feels more realistic. It's also very easy and quick to install and uninstall, so you don't lose anything but giving it a try.

Azzawon

Lol ok will get that fitted.

Just received mine today too and can confirm - they need to be fitted! :)

Gotta say for anyone with an Obutto oZone. What a pain in the arse. I cannot for the life of me find a comfortable seating position with the TX wheel and T3PA pedals. I have the acrylic table add-on which makes the wheel come a bit further forward than usual.

Azzawon

OK fellas, the return of the hotlap challenge!

0rpWYd8.png

Hotlap Challenge!

Caper Stock Car @ Oschersleben

Time Trial mode, Run it however you'd like. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers are welcome. TT mode prohibits setups I think... An accompanying screenshot or video would be great, but it's not mandatory. If you've got a really competitive time, it get a little more so though ;-)

Have fun!

Okay so I gave this a go, and lost patience almost immediately! :p

1:31.828 for me, I know I can go a lot faster but I'm really uncomfortable with my own setup, let alone the car itself. Might come back to it later. XB1 btw.

1BdiOuz.jpg

Sorry for the crappy offscreen shot :p

Can you quit an invitational series in the middle of it? Or once you start it, do you have to finish?

Also is there any way to see how many events are left in the season with your regular team? I feel like I've been on season two forever, Karts are fun but I'm ready for the next step.

Can you quit an invitational series in the middle of it? Or once you start it, do you have to finish?

Also is there any way to see how many events are left in the season with your regular team? I feel like I've been on season two forever, Karts are fun but I'm ready for the next step.

No, I found this out the hard way having accepted a few invitational events - I had to 'retire' from them all in order to reach the end of the first season and get contract offers for season two.

Has any of you PS4 guys ever had a "blackscreen". Meaning your screen going black, but only in game (PS4 menu working fine). This just happened to me as I wanted to record a replay of a pretty funny situation I had in a Qualifying at Circuit de la Sarthe where I had two guys in front of me going wide into the third corner of the second chicane one Mulsanne Straight with me only five meters behind. They were hitting each other being deflected to either side of the track leaving me room to slip through the middle. Nevertheless one of them held on to my right side, going at the same speed as I did. So I tried to break late into Mulsanne Corner on the outside line, us going two wide and him pushing me towards the gravel. I was fully off track, losing grip, locking my right front wheel, dipping my rear left into the gravel due to oversteer and still managing to hold my line, take this moron and securing pole.

That's why you gotta love racing!

No, I found this out the hard way having accepted a few invitational events - I had to 'retire' from them all in order to reach the end of the first season and get contract offers for season two.
Ok thanks.

Has any of you PS4 guys ever had a "blackscreen". Meaning your screen going black, but only in game (PS4 menu working fine). This just happened to me as I wanted to record a replay of a pretty funny situation I had in a Qualifying at Circuit de la Sarthe where I had two guys in front of me going wide into the third corner of the second chicane one Mulsanne Straight with me only five meters behind. They were hitting each other being deflected to either side of the track leaving me room to slip through the middle. Nevertheless one of them held on to my right side, going at the same speed as I did. So I tried to break late into Mulsanne Corner on the outside line, us going two wide and him pushing me towards the gravel. I was fully off track, losing grip, locking my right front wheel, dipping my rear left into the gravel due to oversteer and still managing to hold my line, take this moron and securing pole.

That's why you gotta love racing!
No but I have had sound drop out on me numerous times starting races, and sometimes my HUD gets all messed up even though I didn't do anything to it.

Revson

What happened to TPR Goat's (aka Revson) Ghost, car and control scheme??
Sorry for being such a snitch, but wtf, it didn't look like that 12h ago.

Edit: "What happened to TPR Goat's Ghost?" ...I rarely get to say stuff that awesome.

It's still there for me. I think it's a glitch with the leaderboards.

Bobnob

What happened to TPR Goat's (aka Revson) Ghost, car and control scheme??
Sorry for being such a snitch, but wtf, it didn't look like that 12h ago.

Edit: "What happened to TPR Goat's Ghost?" ...I rarely get to say stuff that awesome.
some people see, some people don't, thats just the way it is! the leaderboard.

addyb

Ok set up my t3pa with the brake mod. Works great an all but there is a very audible clicking when I brake harder like it's catching or something. Not sure if it just needs breaking in but it's a bit annoying.

Bydobob

So after a bit of time with the game, what are people's favourite cars? Think mine has to be the Ginetta G55 GT3. Ferociously powerful and grippy, yet highly controllable at the same time, it's nigh on perfect. And that sound, just finished playing with my ears ringing - guess I was forgot to turn the volume down!

Game has started to annoy me a little lately though. In one session I've had my HUD go missing and my wheel go completely out of calibration...

The_D

Neo Member
I gave the stock car time trial a shot. I'm not happy with the car setup, but I'm not gonna mess with it anymore. Wheel/real assists/manual with sequential (not sure what assists are used, if any, with this car)

(Gamer Tag is Manic DBB)

jiqGlh4m.jpg

mil6es

OK fellas, the return of the hotlap challenge!

0rpWYd8.png

Hotlap Challenge!

Caper Stock Car @ Oschersleben

Time Trial mode, Run it however you'd like. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers are welcome. TT mode prohibits setups I think... An accompanying screenshot or video would be great, but it's not mandatory. If you've got a really competitive time, it get a little more so though ;-)

Have fun!

---------------

1. 1:27.935 - Revson (pic) // XB1, using controller
2. 1:28.669 - Betta Lines (video)
3. 1:29.500 - Big Takeover (video) //auto-clutch only
4. 1.30:292 - Arucardo (post) // No assists and clutch+ H shifter
5. 1:30:306 - Dilly (post) // no assist and clutch+G25
6. 1:30.557 - Seanspeed (netherworld) // PC, wheel
7. 1:31:259 - saladine1 (pic)
8. 1:31:587 - Morabu (video) // Wheel, Manual w/auto clutch, no assists except ABS
9. 1.31.616 - Jilt (video) // Steering wheel, no assists, use of clutch and H-shifter
10. 1.31.634 - marvelharvey (post)
11. 1:31.828 - Azzawon (pic) // XB1
12. 1:32.025 - Megasoum (pic) // Wheel, manual transmission/auto clutch,TS/ABS
13. 1:32.853 - TylerDurden4321 (video) // XB1, Wheel, no assists (edit: but auto-clutch)
14. 1:33.083 - soundscream (post) //wheel, no assist
15. 1:33.922 - danowat (video) // PS4, pad, no assists
16. 1:34:01x - _machine (post) // 360 Pad and ABS only
17. 1:34.107 - Gareth Bale (post) // (wheel, PC)
18. 1:36.533 - Anton668 (pic) // Nibs controller setup on PC with a DS4
19. 1:37 or something - Mascot // SADISTS!

5h2ok8.gif

You'll see I took the chicane like a shitbag, and it breaks my heart. I know you hoodlums are going to be mowing more than your fair share of grass, so consider it preemptive :) It's legal, sadly. There's more cutting to be had too. Just wagging my index finger isn't going to cut it I'm afraid.

PS4, DS4, ABS,Line Guide (first time running track) 1:32.296

https://youtu.be/dI2bKCyDMmA

Wish I had wheel :(

So there are these cheeky radio messages if you damage your lights. Is there any actual way for them to get fixed? I'd just assumed they'd get fixed if I pitted and I had all the repairs set to "on" from the pit options menu. They did not. Had to restart a 30lap endurance at Road America at 26 laps because it was impossibly dark. Hell, I'm lucky I could follow a lapped car around to get to the pits.

Worth mentioning that I had damage set to "visual only" but apparently the very very important and functional front lamps are considered to only be cosmetic. Do the lamps get actually repaired if full damage is on? This would be extremely ironic given I turned damage off just to make sure I actually got to the end of the long race.

Ok set up my t3pa with the brake mod. Works great an all but there is a very audible clicking when I brake harder like it's catching or something. Not sure if it just needs breaking in but it's a bit annoying.

Make sure it's in properly, you shouldn't here any clicking.

Gestault

Is there a reason the steering feels like it's locking up every now and then on a wide turn? Like it doesn't recenter or respond to counter steering? These aren't cases where the brakes have locked up. It's happened several times in the last hour or so. I thought I was just losing it with my momentum, but then it basically happened on a straightaway.

Fox Mulder

I asked this a while back but don't think I got a response. Does anyone make it a regular thing to up the amount of laps a race takes in career mode? I have yet to do this, but since I'm on pad, and kinda qualify terribly most times, I'm finding it hard to place well in just two laps.

I bump it way up. I hate how forza has short races and got rid of endurance stuff. Especially when a distance slider shouldn't be that hard to implement.

I'm sitting here practicing a track, I dont want to move on to something else in 2-3 laps. Love being able to set distance.

I'd do full weekends and 100% races in f1 games and like it, even did it growing up on sierra NASCAR PC games.

Klocker

Man finally getting in the groove with the pad (Xbox) and am loving this . Finally turned off stability control (but assigned a button for it if I run a squirrely road car.

Love hot lapping and practice /qualifying in career as much if not more than the races. 😊

Allegedly the Xbox pad uses only half the travel distance in stick to make a full turn so when they patch it, it is going to be an adjustment but hopefully for the better

dano1

A Sheep
I've really tried to get into it but I'm just not finding it fun. I've tried various controller settings but the handling still feels twitchy, and I've NEVER had to fiddle so much with controller settings in ANY game, EVER.

I'm certainly not tempted to invest in a wheel set up in the hope the game get's better.

Had the same feeling for 2 days until I found the best controller setting. Now it's close to Gran Turismo steering!

Just reset controller settings back to default and set the steering sensitivity to 0. What a difference!!

dedhead54

I finally turned off traction control and stability control, as well as the driving line. I love the way it feels/plays now but man its very unforgiving. One tiny mistake can mean I am off the track, in to the wall, and needing to pit to repair damage. Very rewarding, though.

Also, what causes the pit crew to mess up and keep me there longer? I just lost a race (20th place) because they dropped a wheel nut a couple of times, which kept me there at least 15 extra seconds (and then I ran off the track and spun out, putting me in dead last with no chance to catch up).

nib95

Banned
UF82uUh.jpg

I'm driving like rubbish. I still need to work out a control setting that feels right.

PS4 - 1:36.959 - Controller w/ auto-transmission.

Same. Just tweaking controller settings netted me an extra 2 seconds...Currently my best is 1:32, but I know I could do much better were it not for the non ideal set up. It seems I haven't found a 'fit for all cars' controller set up yet, and that is slightly frustrating. Really the game should have had near ideal pad settings by default. Fact that it doesn't, and instead has terrible default settings, just seems completely lazy and unacceptable. Never had this issue with any other console racer...

gillty

Banned
The wheel makes all the difference in the world with this game. I havent eben felt the need to tweak anything with it, it just works and feels natural. Unlike the pad. I'd be very disappointed if I only had the pad to play.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Plenty of good setting suggestions floating around. Once you get the pad setting dialed in, this game feels amazing.

Gestault

Same. Just tweaking controller settings netted me an extra 2 seconds...Currently my best is 1:32, but I know I could do much better were it not for the non ideal set up. It seems I haven't found a 'fit for all cars' controller set up yet, and that is slightly frustrating. Really the game should have had near ideal pad settings by default. Fact that it doesn't, and instead has terrible default settings, just seems completely lazy and unacceptable. Never had this issue with any other console racer...

Yeah, I thought I had a decent setup, then I jumped into the kart racing in career. Then a higher-class car in freeplay just to test the waters. It feels like the controller implementation is just...woof.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I just finished the Caterham Seven Classic cup. Balancing on the edge of grip and sliding a little through faster corners was super fun. :)

Edit: Can confirm that the cars can in fact roll over :D

i1RvIen.jpg

KCbMJOv.jpg

Mascot

Edit: Can confirm that the cars can in fact roll over :D

Yeah, two AI cars were duking it out ahead of me a few days ago and one of them slid and hit a sausage kerb at speed, rolling on to its roof. It looked pretty awesome until it stopped abruptly - it really should have slid along on its roof for twenty metres or so, a la GRID.

On a side note, has anyone ever seen an AI car by the side of the track, unable to continue after a crash? I used to love this in GTR2, especially if the car was smoking on one lap then actually on fire on the next..! :p

Apart from running wide and cutting corners there don't seem to be too many driver errors or extreme racing incidents from the AI in pCARS. I feel it's really something that could be improved. Seeing AI spin out when overcooking corners, lose control after blowing a tyre, perform PIT maneuvers on other cars... this is all something that GRID did so well.

I'll never forget one of my first races in GRID where an AI car ahead of me had a blowout at speed in a puff of smoke, the front corner dipped, the car fishtailed down the track, hit an armco, bounced across the track, hit the opposite armco, flipped, and then went barrel-rolling down the track with the doors flying open and bits of bodywork scattering everywhere before sliding along its roof into a graveltrap with smoke and dust everywhere. It was absolutely jaw-dropping to behold, a real genre-defining moment for me.

I'm not expecting that sort of explosive drama in pCARS due to licensing issues but a few more random events from AI cars like blowouts, race-ending crashes, spins etc would only add to the excitement, I think.

danowat

Banned
Come to the conclusion that (most) road cars are utter junk in PCars, game almost feels like SHIFT with them, the Mercedes SLS is ridiculous, ok, so I've never driven one, but every piece of media I've read and watched appears to be a million miles away from the car in game.

Race cars are still awesome though, in love with the Formula C at the moment, the lower powered single seaters give me massive NetKar feelings...........

Azzawon

I gave the stock car time trial a shot. I'm not happy with the car setup, but I'm not gonna mess with it anymore. Wheel/real assists/manual with sequential (not sure what assists are used, if any, with this car)

(Gamer Tag is Manic DBB)

jiqGlh4m.jpg

Been wondering how you get a good screenshot without using a PVR or something, and now it's just clicked. The screenshot feature on XB1. D'OH!
I'd say I'll try again tonight, but I'll be playing Witcher 3 ;)

Makikou

Sounds like i need to get around trying that hotlap challenge for fun. Really the only thing i am getting out of the game right now. I wish time trials would let you setup your car though.. Atleast brake bias, ride height and stuff

danowat

Banned
Sounds like i need to get around trying that hotlap challenge for fun. Really the only thing i am getting out of the game right now. I wish time trials would let you setup your car though.. Atleast brake bias, ride height and stuff

They do, in a way, if you have a setup for the combo saved, it will pick that up when you start the TT.

Lego Boss

I bump it way up. I hate how forza has short races and got rid of endurance stuff. Especially when a distance slider shouldn't be that hard to implement.

I'm sitting here practicing a track, I dont want to move on to something else in 2-3 laps. Love being able to set distance.

I'd do full weekends and 100% races in f1 games and like it, even did it growing up on sierra NASCAR PC games.

Just a query about this: do you need to pit in more often for tyres with longer races, or is the tyre wear relative?

Also does the AI pit in in longer races? Asking as I'd like to do longer races, but if the rules are malleable then perhaps it would not be the way to go.

Icefire1424

Gahhhhhhhh, I'm only off the track for a couple days and I'm driving like crap again. Into Season 2 of Kart series (Season 1 seemed REALLY short, btw, but that's probably because I was terrible), and although I'm halfway decent at Glencairn, I am absolutely terrible at Chesterfield. Just can't seem to find the line through that slalom section...arg!

All well, back to open practice for me. Not helping that I'm making (and paying for) rookie mistakes - have a really bad habit of starting a turn while braking. Need to work on that.

Top Bottom