• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

ThatManTy

Neo Member
Edit:

Maybe tell us what parts of Shift 2 you liked the most, what cars you like and what you think of games like Forza or Gran Turismo (or even sim'ier stuff, if you have experience with that) in comparison with Shift 2? I don't want an elaborate essay, just some more intel.

With Shift 2, I just enjoyed the sense of progression. The car tuning, and handling. The cars in general? eh, I seem to be pleased with whatever these games throw out there, as long as it goes fast, and looks good. I own Driveclub, and also kinda want a sim as a companion to the arcade.

No experience with Forza or GT past A-Spec.

I switched back to Driveclub as a comparison and was Amazed at how much quicker it felt

Did it feel about this fast?

I absolutely don't mean to shit on Driveclub! But that's about as clever to say as "the nitro-boost in Gran Turismo feels so much slower than in Need for Speed Underground". These games try to be something very different.
Edit2: There is a g-effect blur-fov-vision that you can turn on for the helmet cam view to be fair. Doesn't make the game feel a lot faster though.

Edit1:
With Shift 2, I just enjoyed the sense of progression. The car tuning, and handling. The cars in general? eh, I seem to be pleased with whatever these games throw out there, as long as it goes fast, and looks good. I own Driveclub, and also kinda want a sim as a companion to the arcade.

No experience with Forza or GT past A-Spec.
If you liked Shift 2's handling, tracks and scenery, want a sim-companion to your arcade Driveclub and liked GT-handling with some assists off until A-Spec...
I think this game is something for you. "Career progression" maybe not so much, but that you're not one of the "I want road legal production cars" is a bonus here.
At which price point you buy this, I'll leave up to you though. Personally I feel like this is a full price game even with the bad UI and some bugs, but I understand everyone that wants to wait for it to drop in price.

Edit3:
The first Grid had a straight forward career without 'tude or other annoying shit. You signed with a team as a driver to earn money and could stop there. You could also establish a team and earn sponsorships based on performance. This allows you to buy more cars for more events and afford better drivers.
I'd say it's too car pokemon'ish in it's focus and the presentation-style with the fonts and sound effects and "cool" would turn the "core" off. Personally I'd be fine with it and probably gladly take it over barebones'ish career as it is now.

Jibbed

I gave hosting a try for the first time tonight, and I really enjoyed the racing. Got 20 people in the end doing Clios around all the UK circuits, and managed to keep out all the laggers and idiots that plague most servers.

I'll be doing it again when I can, 'UK Fair Racing' as the name. Add me on Steam if you want, Jibbed34.

mil6es

Le Mans is so broken wow, just witnessed somebody cut the last 2 chicanes from the pit lane entry and pass 3 cars to win the race.....

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Why can't I see anybody's Ghost or Replay in the community races? A 1:44 on Monza seems impossible with the M1 Procar when my best time is 1:52. :-/

fresquito

Why can't I see anybody's Ghost or Replay in the community races? A 1:44 on Monza seems impossible with the M1 Procar when my best time is 1:52. :-/
They all jump through chicanes. You can check ghosts in TT. You can lower that 1:52 by quite a margin, though.

Gen X

Hah, I had my suspicians they were dong that after I did it by mistake and didn't get penalized.

GT5 and 4 are actually parts of the "main" career, not additional events offered every year. I skip plenty of those like the karts invitationals or the UK classics (both the Merc and Ford handle BAD).

Ahhh ok. When I finished Season 2 I had about 5-6 Contract Offers Including an LMP2 and LMP1(?). I was sure there was a LMP1 in there which I thought were the fastest cars and didn't want to jump into those just yet. the GT3 wwas the only one I was offered out of the GT class. I'll be sure to keep an eye out on the GT4&5 clases though. Will probably try a couple out in the Single Race first just so I make sure I pick a class I would be happy in. =)

Momentary

Banned
For those on PC. I got way better performance out of my 980m by turning off the game's AA solution. I set:

FXAA On
Overide app settings
4x
2x super sample
and
MFAA on looks great.

Here is the game captured at 1440p (Youtube doesn't have 1440p@60 capabilities yet.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGXPew45v2w

The game was running in the 50's with using the games AA solutions. Plus this looks way better to me.

brentech

Never drove at Bathurst Mount Panorama before. Course really screwed me up my first couple laps in qualifying. Kind of proud of my 3rd and final lap in the race having only laid down a handful of laps beforehand.
I'm sure it's not actual good, but it felt good driving. Link is directly to that lap.

https://youtu.be/2EutJlkbyMo?t=4m45s

Since I had no idea what that course was bringing and it's so closed in most the way, I used the roof cam. Gave a little extra vision =\

How do I get the effect I see in vids where the fov increases with speed? I've tried all the obvious options but no dice.

In camera settings it's "Helmet depth of field"

Also make sure you are on helmet cam and not cockpit cam - they are two different things. When rotating through the cameras part of the sequence is - cockpit > rear seat > helmet cam.

Hope that helps.

Gen X

My love for Watkins Glen has been rekindled after all these years. Last time I actually remember racing on it was about 12+ yrs ago on Grand Prix Legends. An absolutely fantastic track. Looking forward to racing on a few more tracks I haven't seen before as well.

Mascot

My love for Watkins Glen has been rekindled after all these years. Last time I actually remember racing on it was about 12+ yrs ago on Grand Prix Legends. An absolutely fantastic track. Looking forward to racing on a few more tracks I haven't seen before as well.

It's a great track for the GT classes, and the Ginetta G40 in particular. That's one of my favourite track/car combos in pCARS.

Sickbean

In camera settings it's "Helmet depth of field"

Also make sure you are on helmet cam and not cockpit cam - they are two different things. When rotating through the cameras part of the sequence is - cockpit > rear seat > helmet cam.

Hope that helps.

No, that's not the effect I mean. See the video below, the effect is there regardless of view - the FOV increases depending on speed.

http://youtu.be/RZrxgtVzXZk

Mascot

I find the openness and transparency refreshing, however, there are times when it's better to say nothing at all........

It's a tricky one. People want to know. He's hinted heavily that it's coming (in fact he's pretty much stated that it is without actually saying it) but is obviously tied up in NDAs.

One thing's for sure though - if Logitech support for pCARS on PS4 doesn't happen, and happen relatively soon, there will be an inevitable shitstorm of biblical proportions. Quite a few users are cancelling TM purchases and/or delaying orders based on Ian's last couple of posts.

Mascot

Hence the reason it's better to stay sch tum until facts!!!

Flipping it over, I can imagine another shitstorm of posts like "OMG!!11 wtf!!11 I Just sold my LogiTek weel n bort a thurstMaster one cuz of no suport on pS4 an now THIS!!! wtF! why dinnt u tell us wtf?!!1 WORST DEVELOPPER EVER! GAME IS shit!!!" if nothing was said at all.

TLDR: to avoid the internet falling out of the sky and killing us all, SMS better deliver on Logitech support for PS4 after hinting heavily that it was coming soon.

Azzawon

Flipping it over, I can imagine another shitstorm of posts like "OMG!!11 wtf!!11 I Just sold my LogiTek weel n bort a thurstMaster one cuz of no suport on pS4 an now THIS!!! wtF! why dinnt u tell us wtf?!!1 WORST DEVELOPPER EVER! GAME IS shit!!!" if nothing was said at all.

Lmao, that's pretty much what the pCARS forums look like anyway, only everyone is moaning about the patch that is still in certification at Sony and MS instead.

Azzawon

Indeed, that place is pretty toxic!

I thought it had calmed down in the Xbox One discussion thread - which it has - then I went to General Discussion to see what was going on and it went a little something like this:

fire_community.gif

Kysen

TLDR: to avoid the internet falling out of the sky and killing us all, SMS better deliver on Logitech support for PS4 after hinting heavily that it was coming soon.
Nah I'm really happy with my t300rs, definitely a step up in build quality over my g27. Also regardless of a driver update to the g27 it still won't be usable on the system menu.

Fox Mulder

Le Mans is so broken wow, just witnessed somebody cut the last 2 chicanes from the pit lane entry and pass 3 cars to win the race.....

There's all kinds of stuff like that, they need better racing regulations in the game. You can jump starts, wreck people, pass off track, ignore blue flags, and cut corners. Pretty bad for a racing game.

It's a great track for the GT classes, and the Ginetta G40 in particular. That's one of my favourite track/car combos in pCARS.

I raced there for the first time ever yesterday in a RUF RGT-8 (of which's handling I had a discussion with some folks a few pages back, now I just convince my brain that it has non-road-legal, warmed up, slick race tires put on and suddenly the handling seems spot on).

Raced from late afternoon into the night, which made the silver metallic paint look phenomenal in the replay. You can do some fun things handling-wise in that car on that track too. Induce oversteer at the end of braking into a corner by turning in too hard and right before you feel the rear is flying off, put your foot down, weight shifts to the back with that heavy rear-engine and the power-understeer balances the car out. That millisecond when "oh nooo, my rear is flying ooooff" and then you feel the acceleration weight shift and the rear-tires clawing even more into the asphalt, stabilizing your car.... pretty awesome.

Edit: Video

Dilly

Banned
So are cold tyres really this slippy in real life???

I have no idea, however there was an interesting moment in GP2 in Barcelona this year where no one bothered to keep the heat in their tires during virtual safety car, and one of the drivers spun instantly when the VSC was gone because of non-optimum temperature.

Sickbean

No.

edit : maybe tyres that have just come out of the mould that are still covered in release agent are............

Grip-percentage wise, cold against perfect temperature...(?) it's probably even a lot worse in real Formula 1 than in Project CARS. For road-legal tires though, I call big BS in PCARS.

I have no idea, however there was an interesting moment in GP2 in Barcelona this year where no one bothered to keep the heat in their tires during virtual safety car, and one of the drivers spun instantly when the VSC was gone because of non-optimum temperature.

Yeah they do seem ultra slippery in Pcars.

Although I do remember an episode of Top Gear where Hammond was trying to drive an F1 car and couldn't even go fast enough to keep heat in the tyres, rendering the car undrivable.

Side note: does green on the hud represent ideal temperature?

danowat

Banned

Although I do remember an episode of Top Gear where Hammond was trying to drive an F1 car and couldn't even go fast enough to keep heat in the tyres, rendering the car undrivable.

Yes.

I've never driven an F1 car, on warm tyres, let alone cold, but I have driven cars on cold slick tyres, and I still think PCars the cold tyre affect is exaggerated.

Fox Mulder

LOL

11264440_10206804504738227_1403777596834808076_o.jpg

need an update asap too many bugs in this game

yeah, i was at a track and the garage was invisible. When I drove out, i hit an invisible wall and my car exploded each time.

that's f1 cars though, with aero designed to operate at speed. Every car in the game pretty much slides on ice for the first lap, just feels exaggerated for the sake of having a "lol it's sim" difficulty.

Nah I'm really happy with my t300rs, definitely a step up in build quality over my g27. Also regardless of a driver update to the g27 it still won't be usable on the system menu.

Yeah, it's a great wheel. Love the materials, even the basic set of pedals

Gen X

Just finished the US Tour of my GT3 contract, thought I'd have a quick look at the first track in the Euro Cup and it's Brno. "Mmmm, don't know this track" I think to myself. Exit pits, take the first right hand corner and BOOM. It hits me. I used to love this track back on the OG Xbox in MotoGP. Sheeet, Haven't played that track since XBL first launched.

No, that's not the effect I mean. See the video below, the effect is there regardless of view - the FOV increases depending on speed.

http://youtu.be/RZrxgtVzXZk

Ugh, that's horrible. Gives you the impression the driver wasn't leaning back in the seat to start with, then accelerates, sinks back, then brakes and lunges towards the steering wheel like they're not even wearing a harness. What is worse is in the Helmet Cam. Helmet stays still but your head/eyes move further back. Wtf?

Toxa

yeah, i was at a track and the garage was invisible. When I drove out, i hit an invisible wall and my car exploded each time.

Each time I restart the race the bug appear had to quit the game and restart the race from the main menu twice to fix that

Fox Mulder

Ugh, that's horrible. Gives you the impression the driver wasn't leaning back in the seat to start with, then accelerates, sinks back, then brakes and lunges towards the steering wheel like they're not even wearing a harness. What is worse is in the Helmet Cam. Helmet stays still but your head/eyes move further back. Wtf?

it's like a warp speed stretch in movies, lol.

is that really in the game? Nice to have options for people that like it though.

Sickbean

it's like a warp speed stretch in movies, lol.

is that really in the game? Nice to have options for people that like it though.

I think it's overdone in that vid, but might look okay at lower settings.

Won't work on my system for some reason though, so it's a moot point.

0rpWYd8.png

Hotlap Challenge!

Caper Stock Car @ Oschersleben

Original post

1. 1:27.653 - Betta Lines (video) //
2. 1:27.935 - Revson (pic) // XB1, using controller
3. 1:28.502 - markao // PC
4. 1:28.887 - Big Takeover (video) //auto-clutch only
5. 1:29.925 - The_D (pic) // Wheel/real assists/manual with sequential
6. 1:29.939 - Seanspeed (netherworld) // PC, wheel
7. 13. 1:30:187 - Morabu (video) (pic) // Wheel, Manual w/auto clutch, no assists except ABS
8. 1.30:292 - Arucardo (post) // No assists and clutch+ H shifter
9. 1:30:306 - Dilly (post) // no assist and clutch+G25
10. 1.30.644 - marvelharvey (pic)
11. 1:30.818 - Slirb (pic) // PC - Wheel (DFP) - ABS only
12. 1:31:259 - saladine1 (pic)
13. 1:31:538 - KillerAJD (pic) // T500RS w/no assists aside from auto-clutch
14. 1.31.616 - Jilt (video) // Steering wheel, no assists, use of clutch and H-shifter
15. 1:31.828 - Azzawon (pic) // XB1
16. 1:32.025 - Megasoum (pic) // Wheel, manual transmission/auto clutch,TS/ABS
17. 1:32.036 - TylerDurden4321 (video) ([URL="http://i.imgbox.com/PFYMvAoV.jpg"]pic)[/URL] // XB1, Wheel, no assists (edit: but auto-clutch)
18. 1:32.296 - mil6es (video) // PS4, DS4, ABS,Line Guide
19. 1:32.437 - Dave_6 (pic) // PC
20. 1:32.533 - Brentech (pic) // DS4, Manual/TS/ABS
21. 1:33.083 - soundscream (post) //wheel, no assist
22. 1:33.675 - Flightwave (pic) // Wheel, no assists, automatic
23. 1:33.922 - danowat (video) // PS4, pad, no assists
24. 1:34:01x - _machine (post) // 360 Pad and ABS only
25. 1:34.107 - Gareth Bale (post) // (wheel, PC)
26. 1:36.533 - Anton668 (pic) // Nibs controller setup on PC with a DS4
27. 1:36.959 - Gestault (pic) // PS4, Controller w/ auto-transmission
28. 1:37 "or something" - Mascot // SADISTS!
29. 1:38 "something" - Addnan
30. 1:39.108 - bananafactory (pic) // T100 Wheel, Manual w/auto clutch, no assists
31. 1:41:173 - mitchlol (post) // DFGT - Auto clutch PC
32. 1:42.816 - RP912 (pic) // PC

Top Bottom