• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Almost 30 guys. That's some incredible participation, fellas! This will be the last time I post this particular list.

I'm going to switch the combo to something new tomorrow night. I want to have it started before the weekend. Folks are more than welcome to post new times for Oschersleben for as long as they like however. I don't see much point in officially closing old challenges, so I won't.

I swore on my life that we'd do Oulton Park next, so it'll be that.... but with what? Hmmm...

The leaderboard times are almost exclusively Gaffers. I should be able to figure you out using :34xxx. I'll add you when I do.

PFYMvAoV.jpg

Can you update my time to 1:32.036 (I'm FFsReedRichards)... but I'm also happy where I am at the board right now, so no stress(!)...
I gave it another try with a non-standard car setup...

Edit: Segaswirl is Segaswirl on GAF... but didn't post any lap-times(?) ...probably wasn't too pleased with the time ;D

@ dave - thx
@PS - yep, but you have to do it from the garage area.
@spookie - If the game doesn't DQ, it's legit. There's no other way to police.

malyce

Not sure about some of these laptimes. A quick look at some of the videos: they are 4 wheels over the white lines.

I was looking at some of the laps and going 1x 1x 1x 1x 1x lol. They should implement a system that discourages curb hopping and off tracking.

I'm going to ask one more time before I assume I've been put on everyone's ignore list because my alligator mouth overrides my canary ass from time to time.

Is the g27 the best I can get for $240-$250?

But when it's back in stock would you be able to find one for $240-$250?

tbh I don't even know the dollar price. I bought my TX for 237€ in Q2 2014 and the T300RS is not a big step up in production cost.

What I really wanted to say is: Think about spending 50$[edit: if it's € to $ 1:1] more and get a better wheel (in MY opinion... let's not talk about preferences and objectivity, but all newer expensive wheels use belts... and it feels a lot better imo).

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
tbh I don't even know the dollar price. I bought my TX for 237€ in Q2 2014 and the T300RS is not a big step up in production cost.

What I really wanted to say is: Think about spending 50$[edit: if it's € to $ 1:1] more and get a better wheel (in MY opinion... let's not talk about preferences and objectivity, but all newer expensive wheels use belts... and it feels a lot better imo).

The T300RS MSRP is $399.99 in the US. Though Frys just had it half off recently. But lacking a sale like that you're looking at $150ish more than the $250 they want to spend.

It is a great wheel though. I paid $399.99 for it and have no regrets.

The T300RS MSRP is $399.99 in the US. Though Frys just had it half off recently. But lacking a sale like that you're looking at $150ish more than the $250 they want to spend.

It is a great wheel though. I paid $399.99 for it and have no regrets.

That's inSANE! The Euro is still ridiculously low and Amazon.de lists the T300RS as 299€ just "not in stock". Normally Euro-guys always pay premium on hardware compared to the US. And Thrustmaster is an american company, right? ...weird.

well I have like 10 minutes of experience with a old mad catz wheel on forza 2 so I don't think I would know the difference. Also the g27 comes with a shifter and clutch pedal and since I recently switched from manual to manual + clutch on controller that stuff is kinda important to me. I actually wouldn't mind spending more if it came with that stuff and was higher quality and much less important is if it didn't have that god awful PS logo. Forgive me though if a shifter and clutch pedal aren't as important as I think they are.

well I have like 10 minutes of experience with a old mad catz wheel on forza 2 so I don't think I would know the difference. Also the g27 comes with a shifter and clutch pedal and since I recently switched from manual to manual + clutch on controller that stuff is kinda important to me. I actually wouldn't mind spending more if it came with that stuff and was higher quality and much less important is if it didn't have that god awful PS logo. Forgive me though if a shifter and clutch pedal aren't as important as I think they are.
You can upgrade the T300 pedals and add an H-shifter, but that's yet more expense. For a complete set, the G27 has zero competition at that price point. As for whether a clutch and shifter are important, that's very much a personal thing I'd say. Depends if you're searching for realism or ultimate lap time. Many top racers will sacrifice stick shifting for paddles (or tend to only drive cars that use paddles anyway). But they're nice features to have, and essential for getting the 'full' experience out of the older cars.

I actually wouldn't mind spending more if it came with that stuff and was higher quality and much less important is if it didn't have that god awful PS logo.
You can upgrade the T300 pedals and add an H-shifter, but that's yet more expense.

T300RS
+ TM Leather 28 GT Wheel (no PS-logo, you see ;D )
+ T3PA-PRO Pedals
+ TH8A Shifter

yeaaaa ...expensive, but awesome, very awesome (or T500RS over T300RS+pedals ?!).

Edit: Sorry if that comes off as "you have to invest, if you want to be a serious racer!!". That's complete bullshit. I'm just... to tell you something about me, my graphics card is from 2008 (SLI though)... I'm not one of the PC-Master-race ultra-gamer guys. But when it comes to wheels, I had an ultra cheap Logitech wheel back in 200...3(?) and played shitty games not really made with a wheel in mind with it. Took me a decade to give wheels another try because of that experience. That year I bought a T500RS and shortly after a Thrustmaster TX with the 458 challenge wheel addon, just because I couldn't play Forza anymore with a controller.

You can upgrade the T300 pedals and add an H-shifter, but that's yet more expense. For a complete set, the G27 has zero competition at that price point. As for whether a clutch and shifter are important, that's very much a personal thing I'd say. Depends if you're searching for realism or ultimate lap time. Many top racers will sacrifice stick shifting for paddles (or tend to only drive cars that use paddles anyway). But they're nice features to have, and essential for getting the 'full' experience out of the older cars.
Thanks for your input it's really appreciated.

T300RS
+ TM Leather 28 GT Wheel (no PS-logo, you see ;D )
+ T3PA-PRO Pedals
+ TH8A Shifter

yeaaaa ...expensive, but awesome, very awesome (or T500RS over T300RS+pedals ?!).

Edit: Sorry if that comes off as "you have to invest, if you want to be a serious racer!!". That's complete bullshit. I'm just... to tell you something about me, my graphics card is from 2008 (SLI though)... I'm not one of the PC-Master-race ultra-gamer guys. But when it comes to wheels, I had an ultra cheap Logitech wheel back in 200...3(?) and played shitty games not really made with a wheel in mind with it. Took me a decade to give wheels another try because of that experience. That year I bought a T500RS and shortly after a Thrustmaster TX with the 458 challenge wheel addon, just because I couldn't play Forza anymore with a controller.

Don't worry man I get ya if budget allowed I would totally buy the T500 but I'm not exclusively a racer and about to be a student so I can't really justify that kind of money atm but still I appreciate your input.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
it's like a warp speed stretch in movies, lol.

is that really in the game? Nice to have options for people that like it though.

I agree about the options, game certainly covers a huge amount of features to suit.

Speaking of which, can anyone tell me how's the tuning options on the PC platform? I'm very disappointed in the gearing options on the console. There is no option to fine tune the ratios and instead it moves in large amounts. EG: If my car doesn't reach top speed on the longest straight I can't dial it down a fraction, instead it just changes to the same ratio as the next gear down. Kinda useless and defeats any purpose at all. Pretty much most options seem like that, it's like each setting has 3-5 presets. :-/

Gen X

Oval are great fun MP. I always thought they were dumb, until I tried them MP in this game. I miss them :-(

I remember playing Papyrus' Nascar on PC with about 15 others in a private race wondering why I said yes to 50 laps. Once the race started it felt like 10 mins. It was awesome. It was before voice chat was common and we used to type "PO" when we were exiting the pits. One guy got kicked and banned fir swerving out of the pits onto the track and nearly caused a big pile up. Great times.

Don't worry man I get ya if budget allowed I would totally buy the T500 but I'm not exclusively a racer and about to be a student so I can't really justify that kind of money atm but still I appreciate your input.

The T500RS is not that great, imo. Wheel diameter is unnecessary( personally I would call it "wrong" even), wheel weight is unnessary, power is unnecessary, the flappy pedal shifters don't turn with the wheel..., you really need an addon wheel for the T500RS to become great. With the T300RS you're good to go out of the box, the pedals aren't great (not saying they are bad though). I honestly would trade my T500RS for a T300RS if I wouldn't have to trade the pedals too.

The G27 is a good wheel though, but don't buy it "because it has a shifter and clutch". I think every G27 owner would agree that the shifter is of a significantly lower quality than the rest of the wheel.

waters10

Neo Member
The T500RS is not that great, imo. Wheel diameter is unnecessary( personally I would call it "wrong" even), wheel weight is unnessary, power is unnecessary, the flappy pedal shifters don't turn with the wheel..., you really need an addon wheel for the T500RS to become great. With the T300RS you're good to go out of the box, the pedals aren't great (not saying they are bad though). I honestly would trade my T500RS for a T300RS if I wouldn't have to trade the pedals too.

The G27 is a good wheel though, but don't buy it "because it has a shifter and clutch". I think every G27 owner would agree that the shifter is of a significantly lower quality than the rest of the wheel.
I'm patiently waiting for my fanatec wheel to get fixed on PS4 ... There were 2 thrustmaster deals I almost jumped on. The T300RS fry's deal for $200 and the T500RS for $400 on amazon a couple of days ago. I think my set up of choice now, would be the T300RS with my CSR elite pedals using that adapter. I think this would be so cool! But, I don't really need this ... If this game doesn't get patched soon, I'll end up spending some money ...

nib95

Banned
0rpWYd8.png

Hotlap Challenge!

Caper Stock Car @ Oschersleben

Original post

1. 1:27.653 - Betta Lines (video) //
2. 1:27.935 - Revson (pic) // XB1, using controller
3. 1:28.887 - Big Takeover (video) //auto-clutch only
4. 1:29.837 - markao // old and slow PC
5. 1:29.925 - The_D (pic) // Wheel/real assists/manual with sequential
6. 1:29.939 - Seanspeed (netherworld) // PC, wheel
7. 1.30:292 - Arucardo (post) // No assists and clutch+ H shifter
8. 1:30:306 - Dilly (post) // no assist and clutch+G25
9. 1.30.644 - marvelharvey (pic)
10. 1:30.818 - Slirb (pic) // PC - Wheel (DFP) - ABS only
11. 1:31:259 - saladine1 (pic)
12. 1:31:538 - KillerAJD (pic) // T500RS w/no assists aside from auto-clutch
13. 1:31:587 - Morabu (video) // Wheel, Manual w/auto clutch, no assists except ABS
14. 1.31.616 - Jilt (video) // Steering wheel, no assists, use of clutch and H-shifter
15. 1:31.828 - Azzawon (pic) // XB1
16. 1:32.025 - Megasoum (pic) // Wheel, manual transmission/auto clutch,TS/ABS
17. 1:32.036 - TylerDurden4321 (video) ([URL="http://i.imgbox.com/PFYMvAoV.jpg"]pic)[/URL] // XB1, Wheel, no assists (edit: but auto-clutch)
18. 1:32.296 - mil6es (video) // PS4, DS4, ABS,Line Guide
19. 1:32.437 - Dave_6 (pic) // PC
20. 1:33.083 - soundscream (post) //wheel, no assist
21. 1:33.675 - Flightwave (pic) // Wheel, no assists, automatic
22. 1:33.922 - danowat (video) // PS4, pad, no assists
23. 1:34:01x - _machine (post) // 360 Pad and ABS only
24. 1:34.107 - Gareth Bale (post) // (wheel, PC)
25. 1:36.533 - Anton668 (pic) // Nibs controller setup on PC with a DS4
26. 1:36.959 - Gestault (pic) // PS4, Controller w/ auto-transmission
27. 1:37 or something - Mascot // SADISTS!
28. 1:42.816 - RP912 (pic) // PC

Excuse my ignorance, but how do I join a Time Trial and get on this leader board? From the home page all I see is Practise and Race as options. Managed a 1:31 earlier, DS4, ABS only. Will put in an official lap some time later if I can be bothered.

Gen X

As much as I hate to admit it, he's right (I've owned my G27 since 2010 . It's not crap by any means, but it's definitely the weakest part of the package. Thankfully it's separate and there for replaceable.I do really like the wheel though, even if it is gear driven.

Come to the conclusion that (most) road cars are utter junk in PCars, game almost feels like SHIFT with them, the Mercedes SLS is ridiculous, ok, so I've never driven one, but every piece of media I've read and watched appears to be a million miles away from the car in game.

Race cars are still awesome though, in love with the Formula C at the moment, the lower powered single seaters give me massive NetKar feelings...........

Yeah. That sounds about right. Also to the fella who talked about the AI in Shift, you ar spot on, the spin outs, and the random craziness was pretty damn sweet.

This is $33.99 on GMG VIP if anyone cares. Or is that the normal price?

Deciding right now between this, Assetto Corsa, or Dirt Rally. I'm leaning towards PCars.

Item Box

Typical multiplayer race

Online has surely tested my patience, mostly when people behind you take corners at full speed and use you as a safety net.

Deciding right now between this, Assetto Corsa, or Dirt Rally. I'm leaning towards PCars.

Normal price is $50, so yeah that's a good price. I couldn't help myself and bought both pcars and dirt rally, which ultimately led into buying a racing wheel :(

RP912

Banned

Go for PCars. Despite the bugs and issues with it, it's probably the best racing game I have ever played. Assetto Corsa is good but too bare bones, however the handling feels a bit better compared to project CARS which takes time to get the feel of some of those cars. I haven't played Dirt Rally yet, but it looks good for a early access game.

Top Bottom