• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Lego Boss

This has to be the best thread on the pCARS forums at the moment. I'm finding it hard not to lol at my desk. http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?27120-this-is-getting-rediculous

Legendary. Ian Bell is a 'Smooth Criminal' as he gave his team two days off and has 'disappeared' with the money.

This is the stuff of Internet lore, but as head of studio, he not only feeds it, but he seems to ENJOY it. Say what you want about PCars, he really doesn't give a fuck, the gloves are well and truly off.

Ian, you're gonna need the aloe vera, cos you just got burned.

danowat

Banned
Legendary. Ian Bell is a 'Smooth Criminal' as he gave his team two days off and has 'disappeared' with the money.

This is the stuff of Internet lore, but as head of studio, he not only feeds it, but he seems to ENJOY it. Say what you want about PCars, he really doesn't give a fuck, the gloves are well and truly off.

Ian, you're gonna need the aloe vera, cos you just got burned.

Maybe it's just me, but I find the whole thing utterly bizarre!

Bydobob

So is the Caterham 7 Classic broken or what? 3 and 4 gears have the same ratio as default, and it seems to have literally zero grip. Silverstone in the rain in that thing was torture.

It's a bug, just increase the 4th gear ratio, but not by much as the classic is gutless in high gears. You'll also want to reduce the brake pressure and tone down the rear balance to make it more settled under braking. Once you do that it becomes much more controllable under braking rather like the real thing. Car is great in my opinion, it's all about chucking the nose into the corner at the threshold of releasing the brakes, time it right and it turns in beautifully with tons to spare.

dukeoflegs

It's a bug, just increase the 4th gear ratio, but not by much as the classic is gutless in high gears. You'll also want to reduce the brake pressure and tone down the rear balance to make it more settled under braking. Once you do that it becomes much more controllable under braking rather like the real thing. Car is great in my opinion, it's all about chucking the nose into the corner at the threshold of releasing the brakes, time it right and it turns in beautifully with tons to spare.

Glad someone answered that. Had the same issue with the gear ratio on day one and couldn't find anything online. Odd thing is it happened to me but not my brother.

Fine, we'll leave it as originally posted - International. Sorry for the run around.

--------------------

0rpWYd8.png

Hotlap Challenge #2

RUF RGT-8 GT3 @ Oulton Park (International)

ruf76uv1.gif

Time Trial mode, Run it however you'd like. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers are welcome. An accompanying screenshot or video would be great, but it's not mandatory. If you've got a really competitive time, it get a little more so though ;-)

Have fun!

---------------

1. 1:31.281 - Betta Lines (post w/telemetry data dl)
2. 1.31.335 - markao ([URL="http://abload.de/img/mvdm_rufgtr-3_oultoncpr5m.png"]setup![/URL])
3. 1.31.352 - kie25 (video) // T500, PS4
4. 1:32:447 - Ryökäle (pic)
5. 1.32.528 - Dilly (post), PC
6. 1:32.562 - Arucardo (pic) // PC
7. 1:32:645 - Slirb (pic) // PC-Wheel- ABS only
8. 1:32.651 - Big Takeover // pic
9. 1:32.893 - paskowitz (pic) // PC
10. 1:32.915 - Azzawon (pic) // XB1, wheel, no assists (auto clutch?)
11. 1:33.193 - Seanspeed (pic) // PC, stock setup/no assists
12. 1:33:499 - PjotrStroganov (pic)
13. 1:33.567 - The_D (pic) // XB1/Wheel/No Assists
14. 1:33:843 - saladine1 (pic)
15. 1:33:867 - Scaramanger (pic) // PC, gamepad
16. 1.33.905 - Jilt (pic) // no assists wheel
17. 1:33:909 - Speech (pic) // PC/Assists Off(Auto Clutch)/Wheel
18. 1:34.508- TylerDurden4321 (pic) // wheel, no assists but auto-clutch, softer car setup
19. 1:34:744 - Metfanant (pic / video) //PS4/T500RS/Real/manual w/auto clutch
20. 1:34:916 - Morabu (pic) // PC/Thrustmaster TX/ABS only
21. 1:35:047 - Flightwave (pic) // Wheel, real assists, automatic
22. 1:35.049 - Scaramanger (pic) // PS4
23. 1:35:220 - ElectronicOldMen (pic) // 360 pad, real assists
24. 1:35:665 - Brentech (pic/ video) // DS4, Manual/TS/ABS
25. 1:35.698 - Sipheren (video) // PC - TX Wheel, T3PA pedals
26. 1.35.993 - PriitV (pic) // stock setup, wheel/real assists/pc
27. 1:36:332 - danowat (video) // pad no assists
28. 1:36.526 - Mascot (pic) // PS4, no assists, manual gears
29. 1:37.200 - Anton668 (pic) // PC - DS4
30. 1:37.474 - soundscream // wheel, real assist
31. 1:38.345 - nabe_shogun (pic) // XBO, controller
32. 1:38.495 - Gestault // PS4 -DS4, Auto-transmission w/ TCS
33. 1:38:716 - mitchlol (pic) // Logitech DFGT / Auto Clutch + racing line // PC
34. 1:39:040 - FunkyLounge (pic) // Newbie with a wheel, assist set to real, manual shifting, auto clutch on PC
35. 1:39.056 - VodevilX (pic) // G27+auto clutch, other assists set to Real or Off
36. 1:39.876- Sickbean (video) // PC, 360 pad, no assists,
37. 1:42.378 - RP912 (pic)
38. 1:46.853 - DoctorWho (pic)

---------------

Previous Challenge - Caper Stock Car @ Oschersleben Feel free to continue to post times for this one.

No one runs fosters in the real world. International. BTCC will be running that next month.

Just tried international time-trial on Xbox One and at the time of day the time trial takes place, the god-rays fuck the framerate on XO. I won't put up with that for a lot of laps, that's for sure.

Dave_6

Fine, we'll leave it as originally posted - International. Sorry for the run around.

--------------------

0rpWYd8.png

Hotlap Challenge #2

RUF RGT-8 GT3 @ Oulton Park (International)

ruf76uv1.gif

Time Trial mode, Run it however you'd like. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers are welcome. An accompanying screenshot or video would be great, but it's not mandatory. If you've got a really competitive time, it get a little more so though ;-)

Have fun!

---------------

---------------

Previous Challenge - Caper Stock Car @ Oschersleben Feel free to continue to post times for this one.

I'm anxious to try this. Love this car and track.

So I've been playing this for a while now with me G27. It's good fun and it's a pretty meaty package. My computer runs it like shit but that was to be expected.

The controls though. I know I am used to Assetto Corsa which is arguably the best sim on the market right now, but I am really having trouble adapting to pCARS' controls. All the cars feel kind of floaty, especially when losing grip. It's like suddenly I'm driving on ice. I guess it also has to do something with the lack of real loud tyre squealing as is apparent in AC. But especially on tracks like Monaco (Azure Circuit, I know), I have an incredibly hard time predicting whether or not my car is going to make the corner or hit the wall. There is no real tactile clue that the game gives, like AC does due to its fantastic physics.

Now I changed my wheel settings a bit, adding some to the Tyre Strength and the Deadzone Removal Range, but I'm wondering if some of you with G27's (or perhaps even G25's) had the same issue and found a way to improve the feedback the game gives through settings in the game.

Thanks GAF!

Metfanant

Glad someone answered that. Had the same issue with the gear ratio on day one and couldn't find anything online. Odd thing is it happened to me but not my brother.

go into edit your tuning setup when you're in the pit box...you will see the values reset themselves automatically...there is a pretty bad bug where very often my tuning setups go completely haywire...i have now made it a habit to enter the tuning menu before i even start a session (practice, qualifying, or race)...

RP912

Banned
Tried to do a 25 hour race since you can swap drivers. As soon as I changed drivers, the guy kept backing up and crashing into the pit stop. I guess I'll wait for a patch :/.

Transfered over to my PS4 and gave the wheel ago, knocked a second and a half off. High 1:33 is perhaps in reach with a few more goes but 1:32 no way. Are you guys running custom tunes (i'm just using the default)?

Re8WFTi.jpg

They still need to fix the replay jitter bug. I need to jump back into this since I've taken a slight break with it because of the witcher 3.

fresquito

They still need to fix the replay jitter bug. I need to jump back into this since I've taken a slight break with it because of the witcher 3.
I don't know what went wrong, but the jitter problem comes from the rendering here. When seen in game, the Replay runs pretty smoothly.

For some reason, my PS4 won't upload anything at the moment, so you'll just have to take my word for it till I fix it!!

Great combo, a lot of fun!!

Danowat32 - 1:37:046 - pad no assists

How the hell you guys are going 5s quicker is beyond me!!!

Edit :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmrWUiml6jk

Looks a neat lap to me! I reckon you'd gain a couple of seconds easily with a wheel just through that first section where the bumps are unsettling the car. You can see on the vid how you are having to fight that with the gamepad and from the long left hander at the bottom of the hill through to the hairpin it costs you a lot. Also missing a few apexes which could gain you a bit (some of this track is slower to be faster!). Its a tough one with the pad though, real tough.

danowat

Banned
Looks a neat lap to me! I reckon you'd gain a couple of seconds easily with a wheel just through that first section where the bumps are unsettling the car. You can see on the vid how you are having to fight that with the gamepad and from the long left hander at the bottom of the hill through to the hairpin it costs you a lot. Also missing a few apexes which could gain you a bit (some of this track is slower to be faster!). Its a tough one with the pad though, real tough.

Yeah, definitely be quicker with a wheel, I fluffed the first chicane on that lap, I also fluffed the double apex corner before the final turn, like you say, slower is faster on this track.

Reckon a 1:35 / 1:36 is possible, if I can string a good lap together.

Great car and track though :)

NHale

Quick question on Project Cars since it'll be one of the first games I buy on a PS4.

Do the cars still control like a bar of soap on ice if you are playing on a controller? I remember that being a major gripe I had with both NFS SHIFT games, and I simply do not have the room or will to buy a wheel.

I had the exact same problem with SHIFT (like many others) even playing with a wheel. I've tried playing Project CARS with a wheel and pad and the handling is nothing like SHIFT. You actually can drive what feels and behaves like a car but only if you change the settings of the pad/wheel because the default settings on console are complete junk.

In this thread there a lot of settings that work because that's what solved the issues I had with the default settings.

kie25

I had the exact same problem with SHIFT (like many others) even playing with a wheel. I've tried playing Project CARS with a wheel and pad and the handling is nothing like SHIFT. You actually can drive what feels and behaves like a car but only if you change the settings of the pad/wheel because the default settings on console are complete junk.

In this thread there a lot of settings that work because that's what solved the issues I had with the default settings.

Default settings on ps4 T500rs are perfect I only had to add slight bit of sensitivity and that's all.

Just hope the patch for t500 comes soon as online is pointless at the moment when you start a race with a wheel at 45 degree angle.

Certinty

GT3 cars are honestly the best part of this game I think.

As for the hot-lap challenge I am hitting 1.34s with a pad, doubt I can ever get to the 33s though.

Enough. I'm done with this game until there's actual proof it's been improved. This is ridiculous.

Endurance series, Faux Suzuka, driving LMP1, 1hr length. Conditions went from clear > light rain > clear > thunderstorm > clear, all for at least 3-4 laps which forces a tyre change. Hell, it's actually an awesome design for a challenging race! One refueling to work in. The P2 car in LMP1 did not pit once. I know this based on the gap displayed on the HUD. Thankfully I'd already turned the AI down to 40% from 70% after an infuriating experience at LeMans. Pulled out a win by 3 seconds! A race where I'm an average of 5-6 seconds a lap faster than anyone else (on some skill but much the low AI setting) shouldn't end up like that. I was one mistake away from giving the lead away in the laps after my final stop. After hilarious grabbing pole by 7 seconds I was going to put the AI back up but good thing I forgot about it.

I can sorta deal with the AI running the same constant lap times regardless of tyres or fuel load. Maybe. I can sorta deal with a bug where fuel consumption is set to "off" for AI in endurance races, since that's "just" 20-30 seconds total. Maybe. But NEVER pitting for tyres despite 4 changes in conditions? No change in lap times during rain and on a wet track? In a setting where, even theoretically, no tyres and no full load couldn't have lasted the entire hour no matter what, even in totally dry conditions? No. Just no. Screw this.

This game is lovely for sandbox time trials and general goofing off--In fact I really couldn't ask for anymore more in this regard! But this career stuff? The hell? It's not that the game isn't a finished product. The root of what it does is great! It's a racing sim. For the person at the controls but nothing beyond that. With apparently zero effort put into QA. It's unfathomable to me how so many race-busting things could go unnoticed when even performing one race in that setting would have exposed the problems. Thus, more likely than not, the product was willingly shipped with these issues and even the "day 1 patch" didn't address any of it. So, again, deliberately offering a broken product.

So, hey, SMS, please actually hire some testing staff or fire the ones you have. Or, if they did spot this all (and I can't see how they couldn't have), please fire yourselves for incompetence. Or at least fix your game. We're talking bugs that, in plenty of settings, are generally a single-digit modifier somewhere. Offline, single player, so no way to blame it on any crappy online functionality or net code. On the plus side, I've stopped being as mad about the 100% lack of blue flag AI because of all this other stuff! Not that I've forgotten about it.

With claimed mid-term support in terms of add-ons and VR maybe just maaaaaaaaybe fix these basics. I now see why the game was repeatedly delayed. Why not just air it out another month or two? You know, ship it when it worked?

Yeah, definitely be quicker with a wheel, I fluffed the first chicane on that lap, I also fluffed the double apex corner before the final turn, like you say, slower is faster on this track.

Reckon a 1:35 / 1:36 is possible, if I can string a good lap together.

Great car and track though :)

I tried a softer setup yesterday night. Drove some 4 laps and immediately scratched about a second off my 1:36.7xx time. Went to bed thinking there would surely be another second in for me today if I tried this new setup for 20 more laps or so. Did that, have a headache from the the XO framerate now (got a little better after a restart, not really gameplay effecting, but still doesn't look healthy)... and couldn't match my time from yesterday anymore :(
What's weird is that I had no framerate issues with the three other cars I tried on that track in time trial mode 2 days ago (maybe the physics/suspension/downforce of that particular car are more CPU intensive??).

Anyway... here's my time: 1:35.787 (wheel, no assists but auto-clutch, softer car setup)
Screenshot-Original.png

I highly doubt that I'll try to improve on it anymore; got Formula Rookie waiting for me in the career after karts and countless invitationals.

Mohonky

Whats the story with tuning cars? There doesn't seem to be an option to save the tune. I mean you have to save it for it to apply to the car, but does it only save for that one race?. Is it supposed to save that tune everytime you goto a new track or are you supposed to setup a new one each time?

kie25

Whats the story with tuning cars? There doesn't seem to be an option to save the tune. I mean you have to save it for it to apply to the car, but does it only save for that one race?. Is it supposed to save that tune everytime you goto a new track or are you supposed to setup a new one each time?

Every track setup changes based on the track, so if you do a set up on silverstone it will save the setup on that track for that car, I would have liked at least 5 slots like f1 games, so you can really compare changes. And have wet setups and stuff seems weird this is not included.

Arucardo

Need to get under that 1.33 so another 1s to shave off of my time. Hate how much the chicanes upset the car but I'm not gonna touch the setup.

Every track setup changes based on the track, so if you do a set up on silverstone it will save the setup on that track for that car, I would have liked at least 5 slots like f1 games, so you can really compare changes. And have wet setups and stuff seems weird this is not included.

Ooo key, I'm gonna help you guys. If you setup a tune in practice or anywhere else for a track and then (without going to a different track in the meantime) go to your garage, your setup will show up there. If you choose to "edit" the current setup there, then, in the setting-up menus, choose to save your setup, you then can select whether you want to apply your current setup to all tracks, just circuits or go to a list where you can select for which specific tracks you want to save this tune (it will show a warning sign if there is an existing, setup for each of the tracks).
And no, I don't know either, who thought up that UI.

Dilly

Banned
There is still 0.5s I can get out of my time, but the damn bumps in the chicanes and my PC locking up isn't helping.

Fox Mulder

anyone have the screen lock up while you still hear audio and have control of the car? It popped out of it a few seconds later and i was wrecked into a wall with two missing wheels. I was only like 15 laps into a long race.

Can you send me yours in a PM? I want to have it on hand when I do buy the game

sneaky77

yeah I would like some settings for a controller on ps4, trying to control the over or understeer seems to be impossible for me a lot of times. I feel like I had far less issues controlling shift 2 lol

Gestault

I barely have four hours of playtime, but I'm still running into quite a bit of weirdness.

Cart physics (which unfortunately kept happening near that s-bend)

"Off-track" lap penalties (which weren't limited to carts)

It really seems like track-to-track, the AI sometimes is really proficient, and other times struggles to even complete a single lap. This is without changing any settings or interference on my part.

The_D

Neo Member
I'm in the 1:34s at Oulton International, and not yet happy with that time. I think I need to adjust the setup to get more out of it. (not my speciality) Maybe after this busy weekend, if it's still going then, I'll give it another shot. I do really like the RUF.

It's also a pain that there is no car or friend sorting on the leaderboards.

Top Bottom