• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

PriitV

Uh, can't do better than that with the stock setup, wheel/real assists/pc ; 1.35.993
JSfPB3s.jpg

Chabbles

Man the online is so much fun in this. I think you just have to accept that no one races clean in public rooms, and embrace the destruction. Try to race clean and your in for a headache hopping from one room to the next. I've noticed qualifying laps are generally clean, but once the race actually starts, its complete madness.. plus qualifying laps alot of the time are pointless when the first corner in the race changes everything, for better of worse. but i must admit theres a great satisfaction catching up with that prick who knocked you out of first place and taking their car out. like a game within a game.

Got mine down to a 1:34:175 and i've been close on a few laps to knocking another 1/2 second off that (that damn last corner, I relax thinking i'm home and run wide everytime I put in a good lap!).

PS4/Wheel/Assists Real

nrf7axA.jpg

Sickbean

Is there a cheat sheet for what 'Real' assists means for each car class? I've been racing with everything off do far but toying with the idea of switching to Real.

Azzawon

0rpWYd8.png

Hotlap Challenge #2

RUF RGT-8 GT3 @ Oulton Park (International)

ruf76uv1.gif

Time Trial mode, Run it however you'd like. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers are welcome. An accompanying screenshot or video would be great, but it's not mandatory. If you've got a really competitive time, it get a little more so though ;-)

Have fun!

Just managed this lap after fiddling with my wheel settings for AGES. Still not happy haha, the XB1 has something seriously wrong because it doesn't feel anything like PC.

1:32.915 - XB1, wheel, no assists (auto clutch?)

I'll take solace in the fact that I'm the highest RUF on the leaderboard on XB1 (for now at least) :p

Just managed this lap after fiddling with my wheel settings for AGES. Still not happy haha, the XB1 has something seriously wrong because it doesn't feel anything like PC.

1:32.915 - XB1, wheel, no assists (auto clutch?)

I'll take solace in the fact that I'm the highest RUF on the leaderboard on XB1 (for now at least) :p

Nice! Would be good to see some vids of these laps, some of us need the help!

Azzawon

Nice! Would be good to see some vids of these laps, some of us need the help!

I honestly wasn't expecting anything special to come of the lap and when I wanted to grab the replay to record I found out you can only grab the last 2 minutes of the session, by that time I had already gone round for another half a lap and stuffed it into the barriers on the first chicane -____-

I honestly wasn't expecting anything special to come of the lap and when I wanted to grab the replay to record I found out you can only grab the last 2 minutes of the session, by that time I had already gone round for another half a lap and stuffed it into the barriers on the first chicane -____-

Thats the weird thing with the hot laps, its the ones you least expect that are the quickest. I guess relaxed and smooth

Azzawon

Thats the weird thing with the hot laps, its the ones you least expect that are the quickest. I guess relaxed and smooth

Relaxed and smooth, but committed at the same time. You have no idea how much it's taken to perfect both chicanes :p the hardest bit is getting as close to the barriers and huge sausage kerbs as possible without touching them, especially in cockpit view with a reduced FOV. As soon as the car settles down off the bumps you can put the power down.

Relaxed and smooth, but committed at the same time. You have no idea how much it's taken to perfect both chicanes :p the hardest bit is getting as close to the barriers and huge sausage kerbs as possible without touching them, especially in cockpit view with a reduced FOV. As soon as the car settles down off the bumps you can put the power down.

yeah there is more time around those chicanes than i realised, thats where my recent improvements have been (probably enough that I would at least be able to see your ghost for the entire lap!)

Azzawon

yeah there is more time around those chicanes than i realised, thats where my recent improvements have been (probably enough that I would at least be able to see your ghost for the entire lap!)

Haha! Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the XB1 Time Trial already at a disadvantage? I read somewhere that the set time is later than that of PC and PS4 so the track is colder and therefore slower?

I think I saw somewhere on the pCARS forums that the upcoming 1.3 patch should fix the time of day.

Edit: Yeah, here it is!

XB1 Ver 1.3 Patch Notes said:
Time Trial:
* Set Time Trials starting time to 11am to match the PC platform. This ensures consistent track temperatures across all platforms, as track temperatures affect lap times.

Haha! Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the XB1 Time Trial already at a disadvantage? I read somewhere that the set time is later than that of PC and PS4 so the track is colder and therefore slower?

I think I saw somewhere on the pCARS forums that the upcoming 1.3 patch should fix the time of day.

Edit: Yeah, here it is!

Well that makes me feel better! ;)

Like a kick in the baby makers! ;)

I bet it makes zero difference if the track is a little hotter or not. It LOOKS better in the early evening, so i like that... but who knows, maybe the frame-rate can keep up in clear skies at high-noon (or whenever time trial takes place on PC and PS4). But probably not. Had a Formula Rookie career race in oulton today and it was teeeerrible frame-rate wise. To a point where it significantly affected my braking and hair-pin turning. That track is badly optimised on Xbox One.

Revson

I won't be doing this challenge, as the framerate for me on Oulton Park on XB1 in time trial is basically unplayable.

What a joke.

Metfanant

Gotta get in on this time trial...messed around and turned a few laps the other night...first time even touching the car or track and was running low 1:36's...there is lots of time to make up though

kie25

Just had a quick go the ruf gt3 time trial, got a 1.31.800 but my setup is not great also lap had few mistakes in hopefully if I get time to give it another go and work on set up I may be able to push for a late 1.30s, I'll get the video uploaded to you tube and post on here tomorrow.

mitchlol

1:39:802 // Logitech DFGT / Auto Clutch + racing line // PC

I reckon I can get it down to around 1:36:000 with a bit more practice.

Just got it down to 1:38:716 but made a silly mistake on the last turn :(

6tuvuyv5z

Just had a quick go the ruf gt3 time trial, got a 1.31.800 but my setup is not great also lap had few mistakes in hopefully if I get time to give it another go and work on set up I may be able to push for a late 1.30s, I'll get the video uploaded to you tube and post on here tomorrow.

A quick go got you a 1:31?! I cannot fathom how anyone can get round there that quick! Kudos

Arucardo

Here is my 1.31.800 in RUF GT3 at Oulton Park

http://youtu.be/ojbDrMvBIns

Only learnt the track yesterday so hopefully when I know it better and have a proper setup I'll be able to get into the 1.30s.

The thing about using a custom setup in these kinds of things (most of the faster times don't) is that it makes it less fun for the people that aren't familiar with setup tuning and makes them give up earlier. They'll just start thinking they're losing because of a superior setup instead of a better driver (Yes I know how it really is and a setup rarely gives you that much more time, but not everyone sees it that way).

One way to solve this could be having two leaderboards for every TT, one for custom setups and one for default.

I don't really have a problem with this anyway (not like I'm competing for top times anyway, haha), but I've seen setup tuning slowly kill interest in time trials before. Also, it wasn't my intention to single you out or anything, sorry if it seems that way, this is just something I've been thinking about since we started the time trials again.

I can think of other ways to make this more interesting too (like power restriction in setups or at least I think that's still in the game) so we wouldn't have the same names on the top every time (I'm looking at you Betta!) ;)

Anyways, feel free to disregard what I said if you feel like it, just something I was thinking about and ended up typing here.

EDIT: also, that's a really nice lap kie25 :)

EDIT 2: Up to 1:33.410 now, I'll try to get some more laps in today.

danowat

Banned
I wonder if being able to use a custom setup in TT mode is an oversight.

They've fixed everything else, seems strange that they'd leave setups open to change.

The default setups can be pretty junk though.

kie25

The thing about using a custom setup in these kinds of things (most of the faster times don't) is that it makes it less fun for the people that aren't familiar with setup tuning and makes them give up earlier. They'll just start thinking they're losing because of a superior setup instead of a better driver (Yes I know how it really is and a setup rarely gives you that much more time, but not everyone sees it that way).

One way to solve this could be having two leaderboards for every TT, one for custom setups and one for default.

I don't really have a problem with this anyway (not like I'm competing for top times anyway, haha), but I've seen setup tuning slowly kill interest in time trials before. Also, it wasn't my intention to single you out or anything, sorry if it seems that way, this is just something I've been thinking about since we started the time trials again.

I can think of other ways to make this more interesting too (like power restriction in setups or at least I think that's still in the game) so we wouldn't have the same names on the top every time (I'm looking at you Betta!) ;)

Anyways, feel free to disregard what I said if you feel like it, just something I was thinking about and ended up typing here.

EDIT: also, that's a really nice lap kie25 :)

I have to say this lap was with most settings as standard I lowered downforce and that was about it. I did a run before that lap with everything standard which was 32.3 but I decided I wanted very low downforce on front and more downforce on the rear to create more stability on acceleration.

danowat

Banned
I have to say this lap was with most settings as standard I lowered downforce and that was about it. I did a run before that lap with everything standard which was 32.3 but I decided I wanted very low downforce on front and more downforce on the rear to create more stability on acceleration.

Gears definitely aren't default setup!

kie25

Thanks, nice lap! I'm at least a gear down from you on every turn, is the gearing tweaked on your setup or is that default?

Yes that's 1 thing I change on cars like this and merc gt3 as there gears are set for tracks like Le Mans, so I lower them down 1 click means you don't really need 2nd And 1st gears.

Arucardo

Could've sworn the gear ratios were different too, but I guess the different aero might make it seem that way. But as I said, I have no real say in this matter, just felt like sharing my opinion.

I can tell from the video, setup or no setup you're a waaaaay better driver than I am :) . Looking forward to Betta's answer haha.

Mohonky

Ooo key, I'm gonna help you guys. If you setup a tune in practice or anywhere else for a track and then (without going to a different track in the meantime) go to your garage, your setup will show up there. If you choose to "edit" the current setup there, then, in the setting-up menus, choose to save your setup, you then can select whether you want to apply your current setup to all tracks, just circuits or go to a list where you can select for which specific tracks you want to save this tune (it will show a warning sign if there is an existing, setup for each of the tracks).
And no, I don't know either, who thought up that UI.

Well thats a shit way of doing things.

Theres a whole bunch of things I don't really understand about the UI though. Some things in menus I have to have my mouse and keyboard handy as I can't access everything by my controller which is annoying when I am playing on the tv.

Then there is stuff like not knowing what tires I am currently on etc. the game definitely needs some going over to make a UI that is more comprehensible and easier to navigate.

saladine1

Yep, tuning is key for quicker times..at least, it is for me.

Adjusting gear ratios, LSD and downforce yields a couple of seconds difference from default.

I do remember there being a discussion on leaderboards on WMD, from what I remember on consoles they are only allowed a limited amount by the platforms (live/psn) so we had to junk a lot of the leaderboard ideas

kie25

Set ups do defo help improve times, but if a game has no setups it's still the same people at the top the leaderboards I've noticed, would be nice if they added a option for online to force everyone to use standard set ups like gran turismo had.

Top Bottom