• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Eternity's "GAF Inn" - Under Renovation

Keasar

Didn't sadly get to see much of it but hopefully it has some content to go around, looked a little sparsely decorated with the tables. :p

Otherwise, I digged the description of Bishop. Looking forward to explore it myself.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So I took a look at the footage. Our inn looks a little generic and sparse. Did we not actually submit anything interesting conceptually to Obsidian?

It looks like Obsidian were willing to put in significant design work for the backer inns, going by what I hear about a unique backer inn being carved into a tree. There don't seem to be any distinguishing characteristics about ours, just Bishop as the innkeep (am I really not referenced at all? haha, that's fine, but it would be cool if there were an easter egg or something if someone using my portrait for the main character interacted with Bishop at the inn, at least!), and I guess the goose and fox sign above the door vaguely forms the NeoGAF logo, but it's hard to tell if it does the in the footage. Is that it? :/

Since it was a community project with community money (I contributed, but yeah), I didn't want to be too hands-on with this, but I guess the concept posts I wrote during the formative stages of this didn't end up being utilized at all. There were a lot of fun things that could have been done, Obsidian-willing.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So I took a look at the footage. Our inn looks a little generic and sparse. Did we not actually submit anything interesting conceptually to Obsidian?

It looks like Obsidian were willing to put in significant design work for the backer inns, going by what I hear about a unique backer inn being carved into a tree. There don't seem to be any distinguishing characteristics about ours, just Bishop as the innkeep (am I really not referenced at all? haha, that's fine, but it would be cool if there were an easter egg or something if someone using my portrait for the main character interacted with Bishop at the inn, at least!), and I guess the goose and fox sign above the door vaguely forms the NeoGAF logo, but it's hard to tell if it does the in the footage. Is that it? :/

Since it was a community project with community money (I contributed, but yeah), I didn't want to be too hands-on with this, but I guess the concept posts I wrote during the formative stages of this didn't end up being utilized at all. There were a lot of fun things that could have been done, Obsidian-willing.

The worst thing we could be is boring.

Keasar

I thought that we didn't have that much input on the design of the inn as all we got earlier was questions on generic stuff like "round or square tables/windows", "brick or wood walls" and so forth. I assumed that they didn't wanna spend too much time on it or that the style was mostly locked down because of the location of the inn. Maybe the tree was a already planned out inn and someone just claimed it as their own spot.

This was the logo outside on the inn, a little hard to see due to stream quality.
JIXXDHn.png

Just noticed that they sadly didn't go for a stylized version of the GAF logo. And the colors are inverted.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of feel like it was weakened by being a community project. As far as I know the only details that were submitted to Obsidian were the ones we had a poll on, and that was just the basic description of the inn (window style/table style/etc). Shagg would have to chime in regarding any back-and-forth with Obsidian beyond that, but there definitely wasn't any here. Had it been an individual effort like the other inn(s), it would have been easier to communicate ideas and work together with the devs to make something interesting.

Giever

Yikes.. I wasn't really a part of this at all, but I knew about it and was looking forward to it when I got PoE down the line. That sucks..

Hey Evilore,

I understand what you mean. I did provide them as much textual detail (including your writeup) and more. I also told them to make sure it fits the game's lore and universe and doesn't seem like it's a bad amalgamation of ideas. You were referenced in the description as well but I can't tell what has or what hasn't made it to the final game until we play it ourselves.

From the looks of it, they had a very big scope but when they dealt with thousands of backer content, and try to make sense of it with their own content they probably focused on ensuring everything makes it in without getting too complicated. It does make it sound like a barebone completion from what you've observed.

I am so happy that the inn made it through and they did a pretty job at it, but you're right about a lot of fun things that could've been utilized. I love GAF and I'm beyond relieved this made it in with the help of everyone's support, including yours!

I will definitely take the blame for any laziness on my part.

Corum

Hey Evilore,

I understand what you mean. I did provide them as much textual detail (including your writeup) and more. I also told them to make sure it fits the game's lore and universe and doesn't seem like it's a bad amalgamation of ideas. You were referenced in the description as well but I can't tell what has or what hasn't made it to the final game until we play it ourselves.

From the looks of it, they had a very big scope but when they dealt with thousands of backer content, and try to make sense of it with their own content they probably focused on ensuring everything makes it in without getting too complicated. It does make it sound like a barebone completion from what you've observed.

I am so happy that the inn made it through and they did a pretty job at it, but you're right about a lot of fun things that could've been utilized. I love GAF and I'm beyond relieved this made it in with the help of everyone's support, including yours!

Shagg you've been outstanding in this whole process, don't be too hard on yourself; it's a difficult task to collate everyone's ideas into a meaningful design.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hey Evilore,

You went above and beyond to make it all happen, so absolutely don't worry about it or take any blame. It's tough since it was a community project where everyone who contributed deserved a say in it, and you of course want to be fair to everyone, too. And, yeah, ultimately, while $5000 is a significant amount of money, it's not a lot of person-hours of game development, so I shouldn't be too presumptuous about what Obsidian could realistically implement. Just the initial reaction to seeing a sparse brown room with nothing much going on is, "bummer..."

But hey, it looks like it's in a really prime location in the game, and maybe there are some cool references and easter eggs in there in dialogue when speaking to people inside.

I look forward to having an ale in your fair inn GAF and discovering new gossip, gambling my hard earned coin, getting into fights and giving the buxom serving wench a fine slap on the rump.

Hoo har!

Labadal

The inn that's in the tree trunk fits with the theme for the town it's located in.

I'm glad they aren't overdoing things, to be honest.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The inn that's in the tree trunk fits with the theme for the town it's located in.

I'm glad they aren't overdoing things, to be honest.

Nah our inn should have totally been in a pocket dimension containing booze and bad relationship advice.

adj_noun

I kind of feel like it was weakened by being a community project. As far as I know the only details that were submitted to Obsidian were the ones we had a poll on, and that was just the basic description of the inn (window style/table style/etc).

We voted on stuff like the inn concept too; I have no idea what ultimately got submitted, though.

Top Bottom