• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Eternity's "GAF Inn" - Under Renovation

If there will also be stories from GAF implemented in the Inn, someone could tell the tale of the singer Dennis the Duck (or Dennis Dye Acke), who spread songs everywhere in the country about 'Goose and Fox' and it's visitors being responsible for everything bad in the world, until he was finally banished and sank with his ship the 'pars quinque'.

Maybe something more fleshed out, but you get the idea.

Expanding on Lore's idea, occasionally the guards should throw out a particular NPC every now and then who admits to the party he'll just return under a different alias to piss on the boorish politicals for shits and giggles.

A quest would involve Ameerox - a powerful and well-known arbiter of the den - who is revealed to be secretly using powerful magicks which alter the memories of past conversations for hidden and insidious ends! The party could choose to side with the dastardly Ameerox, thus gaining free tips or whatever mechanics the GAF Inn would possess at a discount. To reveal his treachery would mean they can get some special "arbiter" privileges at the Inn, which include throwing out NPCs and guiding topics of the conversations.

I don't think it's a good idea to base any quests or storylines on any Gaffer (aside from Evilore, who owns the site and most likely will continue to do so) who might end up perma-banned or simply forgotten in a couple of years.

Just general "gafferisms" should be fine though, like two men having a loud disagreement on a political matter before both are kicked out of the inn. Or a patron complaining about the brothel in the city, and how the whores there are below his standards.

SO sorry for being late. Got caught up with a lot of things and completely forgot. My memory is killing me lol.

46 Responses. I've picked the top 7 responses. You are all hilariously talented. In no particular order:

- Durante's Fix
- The Goose and Fox
- The Leaky Ship
- The Spoiled Milkman
- The Golden Ale Fellowship
- The Bishop's Rest
- The Beggar's Belief

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LL369NV

The survey awaits! I'll ask a mod to make an official poll here to avoid the transparency. Thank you all.

P.S. To do the honors and after hearing the positive feedback, I've ensured that Evilore's description of GAF Inn will stay intact!

GAF Inn (Name TBD), by Evilore:

A hub of information, with flavor. Political officials speaking with the intent of being heard, shadowy figures roaming around offering information for sale or even just handing out slips of parchment for those that dare to pursue its truth or falsehood.

To get in, the party must be someone (renown threshold?), run into the owner somewhere in the game world's wilderness, or go in person, put their names on the list with the bouncer and wait for a courier to contact them.

Arguments break out at the drop of a hat, leaving the premises volatile. Several guards roam around, both gritty veterans (e.g. The Bishop, hammer-wielding paladin) and soft-spoken scholars (e.g. the cipher Stump the Nine-Fingered and wizard Nirolak the Splitter), ready to mediate arguments or defenestrate the patrons if necessary. The party can participate in some of these heated arguments, and leverage them to win favor from some of the officials in order to secure information or special access elsewhere, but getting involved and not playing the right cards could result in getting bounced and locked out for a time.

The owner of the inn shows up on occasion carrying souvenirs from foreign lands and gathering members of the inn around with pints to tell a story of adventure.

Voted and subscribed so I don't miss other votes if any are left.
Thank you!

I would love for all members and mods to participate; we rarely get the luxury to be in AAA title like this, and I want everyone to take full advantage of it.

Every idea is great, and every edit to my post by a mod is well deserved if it makes the thread and recognition any better.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Gotta be The Goose and Fox, it's subtle but clever. Fits in with the setting quite well. Hell you could even have the sign post be a grey goose being attacked by a fox in a slight nod to the GAF logo.

Gotta be The Goose and Fox, it's subtle but clever. Fits in with the setting quite well. Hell you could even have the sign post be a grey goose being attacked by a fox in a slight nod to the GAF logo.

Grey Goose attacking a Golden Fox. :lol!!

I really liked this logo and idea by Jocchan:

VjTniHn.png

I like the idea of the tavern entrance being locked by a long queue of people, so the only way to get in would be to bypass it. Then, once inside, you could find a hidden minidungeon below (even just a bunch of corridors with skeletons of banned customers and some monsters, with one treasure at the end).

Also, no overt GAF memes, but a few subtle references to GAF or games in NPC dialogue would be alright. I like some of the stuff already mentioned before:
- NPC tells a crazy story, ending with "Believe!"
- Other NPC tells him said story originated in that very tavern
- NPC saying he's ready to ride towards the sunset
- NPC is a bearded muscular guy (not a custom model) drinking beer and ignoring the player
Simple stuff like this. No need to waste much time for inside jokes few would get.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Grey Goose attacking a Golden Fox. :lol!!

I really liked this logo and idea by Jocchan:

http://i.imgur.com/VjTniHn.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I could do without the actual logo design in there but otherwise its great. I'd be happy with just the Goose and Fox chilling, or a Fox pouncing on a defensive goose so if you squint it kind of looks like the GAF Logo. Nothing terribly overt, but just something you'd get if you were in the know.

There's a few pubs with inverted name and an actual hotel/inn. I actually like the hotels sign quite a bit and it's almost exactly like what I envisioned.

[QUOTE][IMG]http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/56/82/568240_d586e5d3.jpg

947E06D97FD24EB686AFA37D9981B28C.ashx

I could do without the actual logo design in there but otherwise its great. I'd be happy with just the Goose and Fox chilling, or a Fox pouncing on a defensive goose so if you squint it kind of looks like the GAF Logo. Nothing terribly overt, but just something you'd get if you were in the know.

There's a few pubs with inverted name and an actual hotel/inn. I actually like the hotels sign quite a bit and it's almost exactly like what I envisioned.

If that Fox is interspecies fucking the Goose, I'm so in! Make it happen, GAF!

Rated M for Mature!

Keasar

I remember this was suggested earlier and liked it the best. The subtle hint of the GAF logo underneath the stylized image of a fox and goose locked in combat.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
It'd be even better if the Goose was jumping the Fox while the Fox was unaware.

Yeah I mean I just picked the fox attacking cause it matches the colors of the GAF logo with orange on top of grey. Upon finding the sign for The Fox and Goose Hotel that actually exists I actually prefer that a lot more now than the fox attacking the goose or vice versa. Have the Fox just like perched on a branch of a tree above the goose would be great. If you really want to try and make it close to the GAF logo you could make it a Birtch tree so the branch is white separating the orange fox from the grey goose.

Durante

Yeah, I've loved the Goose and Fox since first hearing about it. It sounds believable (see what I did there) as an inn name but it's still rather obvious.

Jac_Solar

So the top suggestions have already been made? I voted for The Goose and the Fox, which is a nice name for an inn, but would have thought there'd be something more related to Gaf itself outside of "Durante's Fix" - ie, something along the lines of "Drunken Lore Inn", "Drunken Lore", "Squabbling Patron Inn", "Squabble & Strife".

I don't get the goose and fox, what is it a reference to?

Goose And Fox.

If possible, it would be neat for the Goose And Fox to be destroyed mid-game in-between chapters, and then rebuilt and renamed as the "New Goose And Fox" - with only a passing reference to the previous establishment (so all the NPC dialogue would be kept the same, only they would call it the New Goose and fox).

Jamie OD

Goose And Fox.

If possible, it would be neat for the Goose And Fox to be destroyed mid-game in-between chapters, and then rebuilt and renamed as the "New Goose And Fox" - with only a passing reference to the previous establishment (so all the NPC dialogue would be kept the same, only they would call it the New Goose and fox).

Or every once in a while during a major story mission the building is damaged during a riot of customers and can't be accessed for a few hours.

Love Evilore's decription of the inn.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
SO sorry for being late. Got caught up with a lot of things and completely forgot. My memory is killing me lol.

46 Responses. I've picked the top 7 responses. You are all hilariously talented. In no particular order:

As happy as I am to see my suggestion (Bishop's Rest) make your list, it sounds like Goose and Fox has this one in the bag.

Shagg, your logo reminds me of this.

Kinan

Shagg, we are getting a bit behind the schedule, don't we? :) We gotta be naming the Innkeeper by now according to OP.

I'd suggest sexy brunette going by the name Evelyn Lorebottom. :)

Kinan

Actually, thinking about it, I have never seen a female innkeeper in games. Google tell me there is one in Witcher 1 and a female orc in WoW, but I cannot recall seeing them, to my shame.

Labadal

Sorry to bump this, but I think we need to complete this because Obsidian needs the info if the inn is going to make it in to the game.

Kinan

Sorry to bump this, but I think we need to complete this because Obsidian needs the info if the inn is going to make it in to the game.

Seriously, shagg_187, can you update the status and tell us what's up next? Would be pity to miss the opportunity after all the effort.

I'm so sorry for the late updates. I'm pretty bad at staying up to date and have been quite busy for certain things. I'm barely in front of a PC these days and yet I barely see my bed.

Long story short, I'm going to talk to Obsidian about a few things and going to find a much better way on getting everyone engaged. Survey Monkey isn't a good way of engaging people (personal opinion), though if you guys liked the way it went then I'll continue.

With that said, I would love it for everyone to provide their inputs on it. My biggest dilemma is how to collaborate with everyone on getting the descriptions feel awesome and not just a one-sided show.

The best solution I could come up with is a private, dedicated Sub-Reddit where I would create a thread for each item and NPC and more, but that means that everyone would have to agree with it.

Feel free to PM me with suggestions on finding the best way to engage everyone. I'll continue on the same route if everyone is on the same page. I promise I'll stick to this more often.

I hope that made sense... :(

TL;DR: Sorry for the delay. I'll fix the delay.

I'm so sorry for the late updates. I'm pretty bad at staying up to date and have been quite busy for certain things. I'm barely in front of a PC these days and yet I barely see my bed.

Long story short, I'm going to talk to Obsidian about a few things and going to find a much better way on getting everyone engaged. Survey Monkey isn't a good way of engaging people (personal opinion), though if you guys liked the way it went then I'll continue.

With that said, I would love it for everyone to provide their inputs on it. My biggest dilemma is how to collaborate with everyone on getting the descriptions feel awesome and not just a one-sided show.

The best solution I could come up with is a private, dedicated Sub-Reddit where I would create a thread for each item and NPC and more, but that means that everyone would have to agree with it.

Feel free to PM me with suggestions on finding the best way to engage everyone. I'll continue on the same route if everyone is on the same page. I promise I'll stick to this more often.

I hope that made sense... :(

TL;DR: Sorry for the delay. I'll fix the delay.

Survey monkey works fine honestly.
Just throw it under quote-email protection and that's fine.

Nista

I had vaguely forgot I chipped in towards this until I went to the Eternity Backer site and noticed I only had a 20$ pledge. Then I remembered I put it most of it towards the GAF Inn.

Course it's a bit ironic since I get my morning coffee from the Eternity gang, so I'll have to sneak a look at the Inn once it's in progress. :)

Top Bottom