• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus - Sony VR headset prototype - unveiled

fvchgCi.jpg

aPOUHs4.jpg

RPOMfMn.jpg

Tentative Prototype Specs:
The current dev kit (tentative) has a 1080p display, 90+ degree field of view.
"It's not necessarily the final thing we're going for," but it's good for devs to experiment with.
Tracking builds on PS Move and DualShock 4 technology, "supports forward prediction." Position and rotating head tracking: 1000HZ, 3 Meter Working Volume, Full 360 Degrees
Second question is about if there will be a wire connected from the headset to PS4. "The current prototype is wired" with a five meter wire. They are investigating "other solutions."
Regarding weight, as this is a prototype they're not committing to anything.
They're only cooperating with other VR technology "in spirit." No "standardized APIs."
"Do you plan to use eyetracking inside the device?" They're researching it.
When will it come out? Framerate and latency aims? They won't answer. "Highest framerate we can get, lowest latency we can get," they say, jokingly. "Coming out as soon as possible."

'We believe Morpheus will further enhance PlayStation'. It'll work alongside the camera, and Move.
It's still a prototype, though.
PS Move's technology is being used in Project Morpheus to help with tracking. PlayStation Camera on PS4 is also essential. "It's almost as if it was designed for VR," he said with a wink.
They're using the same tech as PlayStation Move - with a lot higher rate sensors, and the PlayStation Camera.
DualShock 4's sensors and light can be used in conjunction with Morpheus. PS Move may also prove essential.
They want it to be able to be picked up and used with no issues. Pick it up, put it on, you're in VR. Put it down, you're out. No issues.
Finally, we've come to Content. "At Worldwide Studios, we have a really good team." Sony's own studios will "seed" the VR landscape, but they need other devs, hence they're here at GDC.
Current focus is on PlayStation - no talking about how this will, or could, work on PC.

More details as they come.

the price would be the most important thing to me, along with the fact that its not bundled with the system.... is it going to be widely supported by devs.

Dezzy

I like the idea of VR and all, but I wish Sony didn't get into it. I can't help but feel that it'll flop for them and they'll just lose more money.

REALLY curious what the actual quality is of this (ie how close to the Oculus). I'm still skeptical how good this could be considering the concessions they'll have to make for consoles.

Sentenza

Eh, how it looks isn't really that interesting. It will be far more relevant to learn the technical specifics.

Ugh, looks a LOT more unwieldy than I though it would - More Sony HMZ than Oculus Rift, although in a way I guess it was to be expected. looking forward to the release, although the fact that it's still called 'Project' would seem to hint its +1 year out...?

I'll wait for V.2

geordi_la_forge.jpeg

In all seriousness, am I the only one who thinks these VR headsets have little to no mass market appeal and will just end up in shopping malls?

And I'm still going to buy the damn thing.

Top Bottom