• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus - Sony VR headset prototype - unveiled

I just hope the price isn't something like 599$.

There is no way that Sony will price this device higher than the PS4 itself. $299-$349 would be my guess.

Disappointed this doesn't have a price, release window, and a supported games lineup. Is this something they show off and then it disappears like other tech companies do? Is it gonna be another gimmick like HOME? I want more concrete info like Apple does in their conferences

GDC is a developers conference. Consumers like you and me aren't the primary focus. It doesn't make sense to reveal that info at this event. And besides, the current headset is a prototype, with some specs nowhere near finalized.

Kind wondering how 3rd person games will work in VR. How well the out of body camera works...

I imagine it will be something like you control the camera to a certain degree with the head tracking. It'll go left, right, up or down depending on what you do. They could even have the character move their head the same way.

I could totally see Naughty Dog doing something like this for Uncharted.

HORRORSHØW

wtf is with that light bulb and Sony. I am seeing that shit ever since they announced Move controller. and now even in PS4 controller. I know the purpose of it, but are you saying there is no better way to track your moment without that shitty light bulb? Wii and Xbox Controller seems to be doing it just fine.
bitch bitch bitch.

Kind wondering how 3rd person games will work in VR. How well the out of body camera works...

In any case I'm happy because this will mean more 3d games and hopefully more 60fps games. Also I'm very interested to know more about their sound tech, which I presume is some kind of virtualization system.

Also this:

2010o.png

:p
I'm assuming the normal game view will be tuned with your head in neutral position, you'd be like cameraman following the.main protagonist from behind. You can move and turn your head to look away from the character and see the environment, but since you're not going to play the whole game with your head turning up or left anyway, you'd go back to the neutral head position to the usual normal game view.

EBE

sounds cool. interested to see if microsoft has anything similar in the works.
im hesitant about embracing (read: buying) such a product, but it could be cool. maybe.

I imagine it will be something like you control the camera to a certain degree with the head tracking. It'll go left, right, up or down depending on what you do. They could even have the character move their head the same way.

I could totally see Naughty Dog doing something like this for Uncharted.

I doubt every game will use it. It will be awhile before you see games like Uncharted even approaching the idea.

The hardware needs the necessary drivers, but PC games will support OpenVR, or MS's solution (probably some add-on to DirectX).
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I thought that since they're using their own API then the Morpheus won't work with OpenVR? Or is it just that Sony VR games won't work with the OR?

wtf is with that light bulb and Sony. I am seeing that shit ever since they announced Move controller. and now even in PS4 controller. I know the purpose of it, but are you saying there is no better way to track your moment without that shitty light bulb? Wii and Xbox Controller seems to be doing it just fine.

Yah, that bulb is going to reflect on the inside of my visor...oh wait.

I doubt every game will use it. It will be awhile before you see games like Uncharted even approaching the idea.

Oh I know. I was just giving an example.

Besides, Uncharted will most likely be out way before this is, so they'd have to patch support in if they wanted to use it.

So I'm just catching up...is there a video of the presentation anywhere? Any impressions? Any demos? Anything?

Edit: (honest questions--I don't mean that to come across as dismissive; I just want to know if there's much info yet)

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
3D was wasted on me since my eyes can't see that effect. Hopefully this'll be a fad my eyes can get behind. Looking forward to it.

Bsigg12

So I'm just catching up...is there a video of the presentation anywhere? Any impressions? Any demos? Anything?

Edit: (honest questions--I don't mean that to come across as dismissive; I just want to know if there's much info yet)

No videos, yet. Impressions will come tomorrow morning as they're showing it off at their GDC booth.

Soi-Fong

Impressions will come tomorrow since Sony will have a booth. As for a video, yosp said it was recorded and they'll put it up after the presentation.

Quasar

No. Demos are being held for devs at GDC starting tomorrow.

Orayn

3D was wasted on me since my eyes can't see that effect. Hopefully this'll be a fad my eyes can get behind. Looking forward to it.

Assuming it's something like the Oculus, this method of 3D is just about the most direct implementation of "each eye sees a different image" that you can get. No polarized layers, no flicker, just a large chunk of a screen projected directly into each eye via lens.

Sepp

Banned
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I thought that since they're using their own API then the Morpheus won't work with OpenVR? Or is it just that Sony VR games won't work with the OR?

Sony would use their own API for PS4, for the PC they'd support any API on PC (if they bring it to PC). MS probably wants to push DirectX on Windows, and will not support Valve's efforts (like they pushed aside OpenGL for gaming).

I assume we will see many VR headsets from different vendors in the future, supporting different platforms and their respective APIs.

WhupTroy

Banned
This may sound cheesy, but I hope it has a rumble feature. Think of it this way, you're playing a boxing game in first person (FPB if you will) and you get punched on the right side of your face. Imagine just the right side of the VR device rumbling. :D. Or, if driving is your thing, a head on crash would result in a frontal "kick" rumble on your face as you hit the wall.

It looks like it has a sliding or winged door mechanism to push up the lense encasement once you want to get out of VR without removing the headset.

Looks nice.

nillapuddin

I know this is obviously only for Devs to consider at this point, but as a consumer, I am really curious about the financial feasibility for the "Full Playstation Experience"

PS4 + Camera + Move Controllers + Headset + 1 game

400 + 70 + 70 + (minimum 100) + 60

Thats a significant price of entry, absolute minimum would be near $750 here in FL, and our tax isnt horrible comparatively speaking. ( 6% )

man, the future is expensive

Since MS has a higher base cost of entry, and no established alternative input devices (the pair of move controllers) I wonder what they will do to competitively bring (AR or VR) to market

Can't wait to hear impressions tomorrow. Put all this speculating aside, and truly see what Sony can deliver.

I'm very happy with what they showed. My only concern is the 90 degree field of view. Can't we go beyond this? What's limiting from going to 110 or 120? I was reading about how the navy has a modified Oculus Rift that goes to 140 degrees FOV. I'm just hoping we can squeeze out as much FOV as possible, as it can make a huge difference.

newjeruse

You'd think the confirmation of a VR headset from Sony would be worthy of discussion, but more than half the game journos I follow on Twitter didn't say a word about Morpheus tonight.

Soi-Fong

This may sound cheesy, but I hope it has a rumble feature. Think of it this way, you're playing a boxing game in first person (FPB if you will) and you get punched on the right side of your face. Imagine just the right side of the VR device rumbling. :D. Or, if driving is your thing, a head on crash would result in a frontal "kick" rumble on your face as you hit the wall.

I imagine that would ruin immersion as the screen in front of you would be shaking. In some ways, it's very gimmicky as well.

For example in a car crash, that would just break immersion as you won't only feel the sensation of "crashing" on the side of your face.

Add to that, it would add unnecessary weight as well as increase price. It adds nothing to the headset.

The point of vr is to give you sense of being inside the game world. 3d is just one aspect of making you feel like its there. There are still other aspect of it that sony mention, like sound, head and motion tracking etc.

The point is so when you turn your head around, your point of view in the game also changed appropriately as it would in the real world. Ps move are there so that it can try to emulate your real world hand into the game world. Ut all work together

I think it can still be enjoyed by people who couldnt see 3d

Sepp

Banned
I know this is obviously only for Devs to consider at this point, but as a consumer, I am really curious about the financial feasibility for the "Full Playstation Experience"

PS4 + Camera + Move Controllers + Headset + 1 game

400 + 70 + 70 + (minimum 100) + 60

Thats a significant price of entry, absolute minimum would be near $750 here in FL, and our tax isnt horrible comparatively speaking. ( 6% )

man, the future is expensive

Since MS has a higher base cost of entry, and no established alternative input devices (the pair of move controllers) I wonder what they will do to competitively bring (AR or VR) to market

100? More like 400 or more.

Soi-Fong

100? More like 400 or more.

Stop pulling crap out of your behind. People were saying the same thing last E3 about Sony pricing the PS4 way beyond what consumers were expecting and look at what happened. Oh.. The XB1 costs more than the PS4! Who would've thought??!!!

Sony isn't stupid. They won't price this more than the price of the system. You people really have to stop coming up with incredibly foolish statements like this.

Realistically, Sony will likely not have many VR experiences that demand the Move, except maybe the Sports games.

A perfect VR driving would require the wheels and pedals, but,the audience for that is not huge. Many people play racing games with controllers, however wrong it may be.

Paertan

Sounds awesome! Want more hands on and tech stuff! :D
And they can stop researching Wireless. You can't have it without extra input lag and I want as low lag as possible. Very important with head tracking and feedback to your eyes.

Would like to have one device for both PC and PS4 but as it looks now it does not sounds like it will work with PC. So Oculus Rift will propably be my first buy when a good enough version is out.

Realistically, Sony will likely not have many VR experiences that demand the Move, except maybe the Sports games.

A perfect VR driving would require the wheels and pedals, but,the audience for that is not huge. Many people play racing games with controllers, however wrong it may be.
The return of cheap plastic peripheral? Now with light bulb. :p

putarorex

It looks neat but I can't help but think it will be another feature that will fizzle out like motion control and 3D support. Plus I can see my wife laughing her head off when I put the thing on my head.

Soi-Fong

I think there's one thing people are forgetting as well. There's potentially 6 million plus customers for this device. By the time this comes out, there might be 10 million plus PS4's sold.

That is an incredible thought if you think about it. No matter what, I don't think even OR can think of selling anywhere near that amount of units.

That's the positive of Sony getting in on VR. They'll be the ones who'll put VR into mass consumer hands. More mass consumers mean more of the big publishers getting in on VR. And that can only be a good thing.

Now that I think about it, didn't OR say something about selling 50,000+ dev kits so far?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
It looks neat but I can't help but think it will be another feature that will fizzle out like motion control and 3D support. Plus I can see my wife laughing her head off when I put the thing on my head.

Then let her put it on and laugh at the :O face you will be seeing.

I just don't want this to wind up like MOVE. I don't want it to just come out with support from Drive Club and Media Molecule and then slowly fade into obscurity because nobody wants to support it.

I just don't want this to wind up like MOVE. I don't want it to just come out with support from Drive Club and Media Molecule and then slowly fade into obscurity because nobody wants to support it.

Agreed, but Sony has to make that commitment...I think indies can certainly help.

Would be amazing if Sony Santa Monica made a Zelda-esque title in first person with move sword wielding controls and VR, but I doubt that'll happen.

NEO0MJ

Stop pulling crap out of your behind. People were saying the same thing last E3 about Sony pricing the PS4 way beyond what consumers were expecting and look at what happened. Oh.. The XB1 costs more than the PS4! Who would've thought??!!!

Sony isn't stupid. They won't price this more than the price of the system. You people really have to stop coming up with incredibly foolish statements like this.

It won't be cheap though. I'm expecting a price between $250-$350.

Would be amazing if Sony Santa Monica made a Zelda-esque title in first person with move sword wielding controls and VR, but I doubt that'll happen.

I'm betting that they're back to GOW now.

I hope they'll support that Morpheus thing longer than they did with the PS Move. It would be nice if they could patch "future old games" like Killzone SF and Infamous SS when this VR headset will be released.

I'm glad that Unity is in that picture, I hope we'll see lots of indie games taking advantage of this baby, The Witness would be a good match, not sure if it's using Unity though, but a Myst-like game in VR would be amazing.

Top Bottom