• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus - Sony VR headset prototype - unveiled

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Second to this: as a guesstimate, could the PS4 push Windwalker/Journey level graphics at 1440/90?

Prob Windwaker, not sure about Journey.

Re. some of the GDC Morpheus demos 'running at > 1080p in some cases', that might be a reference to MSAA (higher res depth buffers etc).

I think Sony will target 1080p @ 60/70/75 ... I don't think 90fps. I think they may trade latency for higher refresh via interpolation if it's not good enough for flicker free low persistence.

I think Ground Zeros is a nice timely example of 1080p/60 on PS4, but I think it's also really only the beginning of what devs who take care will be able to do.

kyser73

Wikipedia:

Thanks, that was my assumption. And yes I should have looked myself :)

Prob Windwaker, not sure about Journey.

Re. some of the GDC Morpheus demos 'running at > 1080p in some cases', that might be a reference to MSAA (higher res depth buffers etc).

I think Sony will target 1080p @ 60/70/75 ... I don't think 90fps. I think they may trade latency for higher refresh via interpolation if it's not good enough for flicker free low persistence.

I think Ground Zeros is a nice timely example of 1080p/60 on PS4, but I think it's also really only the beginning of what devs who take care will be able to do.

At,0. This is the sort of layman's benchmarking I understand - although getting MGSGZ in VR...woah... It betrays its roots in last-gen but it still looks pretty hot on the PS4.

I have no fate on this giving Sony's track record. They just make sweet tech for the sake of saying they did and never support it.
Eh, they honestly try to support it as best as they could, but if you hardware or accessories simply didnt sell a loy, do you expect them to continue losing money? Many sony dev support 3d and ps move, they actually made a number of move exclusive games, some third party support move and I'm not sure if Sony had to moneyhat 3rd party dev just for that support.

Harlequin

I have no fate on this giving Sony's track record. They just make sweet tech for the sake of saying they did and never support it.

I'm pretty sure that they won't have to do too much in order to get VR support. There's lots of excitement in the indie community for the OR and considering how indie-friendly Sony has been, I wouldn't be surprised to see many OR indie games getting ported over to PS4. Of course, there'll also be one or two big first-party Morpheus games (or maybe even AAA games with optional VR features) and if enough people buy it the third parties will catch on sooner or later (until which point you'll have the indie games to tide you over).

They need to make sure the price is $300 max.

Too much more and think thing will be too niche to have a major impact.

I'm thinking more like 150. Any more than that and you'll never have enough consumers on board to make it worth supporting.

I think this tech will just be too expensive for the average consumer to justify.

bj00rn_

Banned
I'm thinking more like 150. Any more than that and you'll never have enough consumers on board to make it worth supporting.

I think this tech will just be too expensive for the average consumer to justify.

If VR can truly deliver presence and clarity then people won't have any problems paying almost anything for the value of the experience. However, if Sony stays at 1080p and developers start rehash old software and take shortcuts to reduce overhead it might end up being a disaster for VR on consoles.

Lynn616

You've also got the additional overhead of processing the geometry twice. So despite only having having an effective resolution of 960x1080, the demands are actually higher than for a 2D game @ native 1080p.

Is it possible for Sony to add an additional processing unit in the headset itself?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
gofreak said:
Unless it's done game-side interpolation doesn't sound very compelling. But you can always just work with a different framerate divider that fits into 90hz (eg. 30 or 45fps) without any interpolating necessary, or work with even higher refresh that fits 60...

Actually given that all these devices are clearly going to redefine rules about display refresh, I wonder what are the chances they are variable refresh compliant as well.

Yes, but it will feel weird. VR is all about mimicking real life, meaning that your "head" needs to control only your head. Nobody has a gun glued to their heads. :D Head movement and arm movement need to be decoupled.
How about something like this?
F9pq8JQ.gif

This is the control scheme they used in the The Deep demo.
colbert.gif
Apparently it felt obvious and natural enough that barely anyone even mentioned it, much less really made the connection. Another connection no one seemed to make was, if they weren't trapped in that cage, they could've used the dual analog sticks to swim around.

So to address your concern, DieH@ard, in addition to performing its normal duties as your controller, the DS4 has no trouble simultaneously standing in for your raygun/flashlight/axe/chainsaw/hand/tentacle/whatever.

I imagine that would ruin immersion as the screen in front of you would be shaking. In some ways, it's very gimmicky as well.

For example in a car crash, that would just break immersion as you won't only feel the sensation of "crashing" on the side of your face.

Add to that, it would add unnecessary weight as well as increase price. It adds nothing to the headset.
First of all, every one of those arguments could be made against putting rumble in the controller as well.

More to the point, it can be really useful to be able to give players a boot to the head. You're playing a game and some big dude knocks you on your ass. As you hit the ground, your vision blurs as you feel a thump at the base of your skull followed by a tingling that travels down your spine. As you struggle to your feet, the tingling fills your entire head before taking up residency in your temples as a high-frequency buzz that seems to follow gravity as you wobble back and forth.

Also, two words:
Spidey Sense

You could simulate all kinds of crazy senses with a reasonably sophisticated rumble system. Imagine a Dwarf that can find treasure by sensing the direction and intensity of the vibes it gives off.

Top Bottom