• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus - Sony VR headset prototype - unveiled

sjay1994

m_5328f17a4cd99_s.jpg

Ranger X

Can someone explain to me how something like this will ever be more than a niche product? There were massive complaints from people about having to wear 3D glasses but everyone is going to be fine with wearing a box on their heads?

Exactly. I wonder the same. VR is cool again and we didn't get the memo maybe?
I don't see why this will work better now. Especially after the terrible fail that is 3D glasses.

Disappointed this doesn't have a price, release window, and a supported games lineup. Is this something they show off and then it disappears like other tech companies do? Is it gonna be another gimmick like HOME? I want more concrete info like Apple does in their conferences

They are saving that for E3. This conference isn't really the place to do that.

Courage

Disappointed this doesn't have a price, release window, and a supported games lineup. Is this something they show off and then it disappears like other tech companies do? Is it gonna be another gimmick like HOME? I want more concrete info like Apple does in their conferences

You're comparing Home with something that probably cost them millions more in R&D alone. Don't be ridiculous.

Tom Penny

This shit is going to be a money sink. Until you can pop some shit in like contacts..forget it. It's going to fail miserably.

AwRy108

Just don't want SONY to spread itself too thin--we're still waiting for some pretty major PS4 features, and the Vita can't even support more than 100 icons yet.

falconbox

Banned

They said they are showing this at GDC to get developers on board to start developing for it. This is still in prototype phase. There is no lineup created yet. We probably won't see this for sale for another 2 years.

Sakura

Would love to hear the specs. For some reason I feel it will be lower spec than the consumer version of the rift.

edit: also I hope this doesn't disappear from the scene like that vitality sensor.

Dany

Banned
I wonder how Sony can move foward with this? How much time/effort would it take for game studios to build a gamome +VR technology...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
"The current dev kit (tentative) has a 1080p display, 90+ degree field of view."

Gamerloid

Just don't want SONY to spread itself too thin--we're still waiting for some pretty major PS4 features, and the Vita can't even support more than 100 icons yet.

Vita won't even let me equip the premium avatars I bought... I'm still using standard ones...

jman2050

I'm continually curious how these companies are going to overcome the "people don't want to wear extra stuff on their head" problem.

That aside, practical VR implementations being this close has me excited.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I hope you can turn off the LEDs.

They're on the outside. Your eyes are on the inside. How are you even going to see them?
Does just the thought of them being there annoy you? Too bad, because they're necessary.

Top Bottom