• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus - Sony VR headset prototype - unveiled

darkwing

A Shuhei moment

Introducing-Project-Morpheus---PlayStation.Blog.png

LOL like a boss

everytime

teiresias

I'm kind of disappointed that they're not using OLED since it's been established how much of a benefit OLED's fillrate without costing more pixels.

I mean, price had to be a concern but I hope their LCD tech is fancy enough to make up some of the difference.

Did they even say what tech the screen us using? Even if they did what's in this Dev kit isn't guaranteed to be on the consumer model.

Omni

I don't see this being any less of a gimmick than something like Kinect.

But as long as they don't shoehorn it in with the console then I don't mind one way or another, I guess.

It's concerning they're not talking about refresh rates, low persistence, or what exactly sets this apart from just being a 1080p Rift DK1. BY FAR the biggest hurdle VR faces is simulation sickness and they're not saying what (if anything) they're doing to mitigate it.

That devs say it works bette then rift and first on a console ?

Branduil

Yeah takes a ton of power to do a 1080p image. LOL

1080p 3D takes a bit more power than regular 1080p. But it's not the resolution that's the issue so much as the framerate, honestly. Anything less than a rock-solid 60fps will probably not cut it, so any games developed for the Morpheus must keep that in mind.

Still uncertain how that thing fits on the face. The display piece also seems large - hopefully it doesn't weigh down your head.

All in all I'm stoked. I was already planning to buy Oculus, now I'll have to weigh getting Morpheus.

And...WindowsFace?

Nafai1123

Banned
As with Sony's camera, I'm pretty sure all the depth stuff is handled through the Kinect. It tracks the position and orientation of the controller which is how they do the motion controls with the controller in Dead Rising 3.

Interesting. I know for a fact that the original PS Eye on PS3 used the move to track depth (via the size of the glowy ball) but it's possible that could be scaled back now that it has two sensors.

Mr.Green

Would old school FPS' like Doom benefit at all from VR or would it just look like gimmicky cardboard cutouts?

Way too fast for VR. I mean it could work but it wouldn't be a good experience.

Some guy did an amazing job adding Oculus Rift support to Quake 2... but after playing it for 10 minutes you feel like shit.

Soi-Fong

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/856-13/benchmark-battlefield-3.html

Sorry to break your bubble but ps4 can't do 1080p 60fps in most games and a great VR experience is High resolution and low latency.

Great vr experience is 1600p+ res and 85-90 fps or OLED display. Ps4 and sony VR is far from that.

Cool. So all those people saying Crystal Cove was a great VR experience were lying then? I mean the specs for Crystal Cove were roughly what Sony revealed for Morpheus. 1080p, etc

Linkup

VR is a medium, Morpheus is a device to experience that medium, as video games are a medium, and PS4 is a device to experience them.

TV is a medium and I can watch any video content on any set, but

VR being a medium and I can only play Sony VR content on it's set? Why won't I be able to play any VR content on their set? If any company wants to do that for Rift they can.

Why not set some standards now?

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/856-13/benchmark-battlefield-3.html

Sorry to break your bubble but ps4 can't do 1080p 60fps in most games and a great VR experience is High resolution and low latency.

Great vr experience is 1600p+ res and 85-90 fps or OLED display. Ps4 and sony VR is far from that.

They are looking at doing a consumer friendly version of VR for the masses. It doesn't need to be 1600p+ and 85fps.

And the VR games won't be Killzone Shadow Fall with VR it will be games like The Witness at first. Easily doable.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Sorry, haven't read the entire thread, but we don't have any more information about a possible release date than "as soon as possible"? No hints at further information on this at E3? No hints about whether it will come in 2014 or not?

mephixto

Banned
It is not the same as rendering a single 1920x1080 image FFS!
Having 2 view points means doubling the geometry processing load (thus it takes more power to do).

And I bet you that more than a half of the people in this thread is ignoring that the game must output in stereoscopic 3D!!!

I think tomorrow's impressions are much more important than any of the spec wars we get in the coming days.

If Sony can get it out with at a cheaper pricepoint, decent software, and it's sufficiently playable, it won't matter to the masses if it's a slightly worse experience. The hardware is cheaper and the interface is slick.

Soi-Fong

Seriously, are the trolls out in force tonight? There's a huge difference in developing for a closed platform.

How else would Naughty Dog have developed UC3 and TLoU on 256 mb of ram.

YuShtink

Cool. So all those people saying Crystal Cove was a great VR experience were lying then? I mean the specs for Crystal Cove were roughly what Sony revealed for Morpheus. 1080p, etc

Well Crystal Cove was running at ~75fps, we don't know what refresh rate Morpheus is sporting yet.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
They cant sell this for $250 dollars
Why not? It's not something that needs to sell at a console-like adoption rate. It'll be a slower burn regardless of what price it launches at, just because of how big of a change from the traditional it will represent - people will need to adjust. That's gotta be a factor in Sony's sales projections.

Frankly, I don't see this selling for much less than $400 initially.

StuBurns

Banned
TV is a medium and I can watch any video content on any set, but

VR being a medium and I can only play Sony VR content on it's set? Why won't I be able to play any VR content on their set? If any company wants to do that for Rift they can.

Why not set some standards now?
Yes, TV is a medium, and gaming is a medium too, can you play any game on your PS4? No.

The Morpheus is Sony's VR unit, designed for the PS4.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yeah Trine 2 is possible, but people is expecting the next Killzone or GT with the Sony VR.

You missed the part about Trine 2 being twice the resolution (1920x1,080x2) and a downloadable indie launch title running with zero frame drops.
And GT in VR with the graphics people expect from GT will happen. Just look at the combination of resolution, iq and framerate Polyphony targeted on PS3.

DVCY201

Well, one of the major points that was presented by Valve and OR during this years Steam Dev Days conferences was that pre-existing games generally don't work in VR. Slower, smaller experiences based around VR are infinitely more impactful than something like Half-Life 2 being ported over to VR. I think this will actually work in our favour; developers won't need to throw down US$100m budgets creating "Battlefield VR" or whatever - stuff like The Witness is cheaper to make, and actually works better. I suspect any major developer could put a small team on making a VR game, and not have to sell a million copies for it to be well worth the time.

Yea, I could definitely see that happening and being a far better experience than AAA games. But, I think this is a hard sell. Just in this thread, there's been people talking about indie utilization, Skyrim VR, and the full-realization of the Metroid Prime HUD. It's a sample of a broad spectrum of "wants".

And, I'm sure to the average consumer it'll be a barrier of understanding, explaining that it does not work for every game.

I like the technology, but I'd really need to see more. I'm not too sure if it will be fully utilized, or utilized well for that matter. Going to wait for the impressions from the floor tomorrow.

Bsigg12

Sorry, haven't read the entire thread, but we don't have any more information about a possible release date than "as soon as possible"? No hints at further information on this at E3? No hints about whether it will come in 2014 or not?

With the way the presentation went, it seems like a 2015 release because they are just now recruiting devs. They have a product in mind and it looks to have some serious potential but now they need more than their own studios to develop for it. If there is one downfall to this, it's that since it's on a closed platform, we won't get solutions like the Rift has to inject support into almost any 3D game.

Top Bottom